Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 61
Send Topic Print
"We" got a new Stones Album (Read 93,262 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: "We" got a new Stones Album
Reply #1250 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:40pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:03pm:
Some Lady Ga Ga fans seem to be outraged that the Stones have dared write and record a song that doesnt feature her as the lead singer.  Blank Frigging Stare

funny

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1251 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:43pm
The Rolling Stones, Sweet Sound of Heaven, review: Jagger and Gaga on astonishing, exultant form

5/5
Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder help push the Stones to heights they haven't reached in decades for this soulful, gospel riposte to old age

By
Neil McCormick,
MUSIC CRITIC
28 September 2023 • 5:00pm

Rockin til they drop: Ronnie Wood, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (L-R) CREDIT: Mark Seliger

he Rolling Stones have dropped a new single, and it is the best thing they have done in decades. Featuring both Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder jamming with the band, Sweet Sound of Heaven is a thrilling, uplifting proto-gospel song that belongs in the very highest echelons of the Stones’ starry catalogue.

It doesn’t attempt to recreate past glories so much as dive deeply into a roots music they love, and put their own distinct stamp on it. You would have to go back to Exile on Main Street to hear the Stones on such exultant form, deeply wrapped up in their music, lost in the groove and the moment.

Jagger leads from the front, with a towering vocal performance, the man who once asked for Sympathy for the Devil calling out to heavenly powers to make life on earth more bearable. The rhythm guitar of Keith Richards scratches and pokes away on the right side of the mix, Ronnie Wood’s sweet licks percolate on the left, and a stellar band fills all the spaces between, with Steve Jordan anchoring the sound in Charlie Watts’s old drum seat, and no less a superstar personage than Stevie Wonder rattling away on a very nimble electric piano and Rhodes organ.

The whole thing was recorded essentially live at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles in January this year, with the group in the round all facing each other. Footage shows Lady Gaga sitting on the floor, at first echoing and answering Jagger’s vocals, and gradually building in confidence to push beneath his voice, and drive him to ever greater heights. It is really one of Jagger’s finest ever performances, as the old devil exults mischievously in notions of heavenly reward. “No I’m not gonna end in some dusty motel / And I’m not gonna die in the dirt,” the 80-year-old frontman insists, shrugging off notions that he will meet some dismal traditional blues end.

Indeed, for a song about heavenly rewards, Jagger doesn’t seem particularly ready to meet his maker at all, preferring to revel in the pleasures of this earthly vale while he can: “I’m gonna live, I’m gonna cry, eat the bread, drink the wine / Cos I’m finally quenching my thirst.” There’s a fantastic moment, just before the horns punch in, when Jagger delivers what sounds like a justification and valediction for the Stones whole ethos of rocking til they drop: “Let us sing, let us shout, let us all stand up proud / Let the old still believe they are young!”

Sweet Sounds of Heaven features Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder

But the outstanding thrill of this performance is yet to come, as it builds to a huge climax and reaches a powerful conclusion after five minutes, only for Jordan to pick up the beat again. Gaga laughs and joins in, trilling the chorus melody, producer Andrew Watt adds a bass line and Jagger calls “Play me something, Stevie”, inspiring Wonder to weigh in with lubricious piano.

Gradually the whole band rejoins the fray, building it up again, higher and higher to an even more explosive climax or righteous musical joy. It is the kind of thing that can only happen when a band is playing together, live in the studio, something you will rarely hear on modern recordings. It is the essence of the Stones’ appeal in seven and a half minutes of pure pleasure. Honestly, the first time I heard it, it put a smile on this old critic’s face that lasted for a week.

Sweet Sound of Heaven is an anthem that belongs in the most soulful end of the Rolling Stones catalogue, as philosophical as You Can’t Always Get What You Want, deep and rootsy as Wild Horse, and as epic as Sympathy for the Devil. It shows off the Stones as a performing band in all their glory.

When the song was mentioned during the press launch at Hackney Empire earlier this month (for forthcoming album Hackney Diamonds), it immediately brought a gust of laughter from Richards. “It’s a kinda gospel song,” said Jagger. “Gospel!” chuckled Richards. “You’ve never been to church in your life!”

“I did go once!” protested Jagger.

“What’s it like?” said Richards, playing along.

“It’s a big building, normally, with arches,” joked Jagger.

Lady Gaga and Mick Jagger performing in 2012 CREDIT: WireImage

When I spoke to Richards recently, he told me he was particularly pleased with Sweet Sound of Heaven. “The reprise (at the end) was spontaneous, it is what happens with bands. The more you play, the more you want that extra bit. It was fun to make. Stevie was in town, and he happened to drop by, and it was the same with Lady Gaga, bless her, the woman can sing.

We used to work with Stevie a lot on the road tours in the Seventies, and hey man, he is a brilliant player. It was never intended to particularly bring in other people, they happened to be around, but if you can contribute things like they did, well, we’re the Rolling Stones, join the party!”

It all bodes incredibly well for the forthcoming album, and for the continuing adventures of the world’s greatest rock and roll band. “I’d like to take Sweet Sounds of Heaven on stage,” Richards told me. “The song is strong, and I think we can pull it off. Let’s find out!”

The Rolling Stones: Sweet Sound of Heaven is now available on all streaming platforms. Hackney Diamonds will be released on October 20

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/the-rolling-stones-lady-gaga...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1252 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:50pm
When the Rolling Stones officially announced Hackney Diamonds — their first album of original material in 18 years — and released lead single “Angry,” the band teased some high-profile guests on the LP. Two of them converge on the Stones’ new single out today. “Sweet Sounds Of Heaven” is a slow-burn gospel-inflected ballad that features both Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder, though Gaga’s howling contributions are a lot more obvious to the naked ear. (Wonder plays Fender Rhodes, Moog and piano on the song.)

Mick Jagger told Apple Music’s Zane Lowe about featuring Gaga on the song:

…she’s a really great singer and I’d never heard her sing quite that style before. Not exactly. We did it live in the room and that was a great experience, her just coming in the room and her just opening up and seeing her bits and feeling her way and then getting more confident. And then we came back and then did some extra parts that we hadn’t done on the day and then we did some tidying up and we were just in the overdub room, really face-to-face, getting them really tight, the parts really tight, and then being slightly competitive and screaming.

Jagger also offered this background on the making of the song:

It’s all played live. And of course we did overdubs, but it’s all played in the room. Yeah, there’s that moment, especially in that session where we had Stevie, and you’re feeling your way out a little bit and then you do that soul ending, which is you do sometimes on stage where you stop and you start. It’s very kind of tried and tested redoubling thing. But, yeah, I mean, it really feels like, yeah, it is played live… it was a good moment… we played it with Keith and Ronnie when we were in The Bahamas when we more or less finished everything. But we hadn’t mixed it then, so then we mixed it, I mixed it with the mixer and Andy [Andrew Watt] and we were in three places. And then when we finished mixing it, we had a sort of three-way playback. And, yeah, it’s a really good moment when you play something. And it’s always a great moment when you play it back like that. And, “Wow, we finished it and it sounds really good, and we’re pleased with it.” Because if we hadn’t been pleased with it, we’ve had to have change it. You’ve got to choose the right songs because we recorded a lot more songs than this. And then to choose a set of songs, these aren’t necessarily even, you might prefer one than the other, but they will come out. The other ones will come out. But choose a good balance of the songs you’ve recorded.

Listen to both a five-minute and seven-minute version of “Sweet Sounds Of Heaven” below.

Hackney Diamonds is out 10/20 on Geffen. It’s nice that Keith Richards allowed Gaga on the track even though he recently told Telegraph he hates modern pop and rap music.

Chris DeVille
Staff

https://www.stereogum.com/2237519/the-rolling-stones-sweet-sounds-of-heaven-feat...

... ... ...
IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1253 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:50pm
Ah never mind my prior question about Apple Music users, it's on YT!

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1254 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:53pm

via Gaga Now
“…she’s a really great singer and I’d never heard her sing quite that
style before. Not exactly. We did it live in the room and that was a
great experience, her just coming in the room and her just opening
up and seeing her bits and feeling her way and then getting more
confident. And then we came back and then did some extra parts
that we hadn’t done on the day and then we did some tidying up
and we were just in the overdub room, really face-to-face, getting
them really tight, the parts really tight, and then being slightly
competitive and screaming.”
- Mick Jagger on Lady Gaga

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:54pm by Rev 20 Redlights »  

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1255 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:00pm
Lovely.
Sweet as a nut.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1256 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:04pm
ronnie-woody wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:23pm:
I feel that if I could hear this song live it will leave me equally awestruck open-mouthed and with goosebumps as did that wonderful display of Fool to Cry last year in Berlin...sometimes I'm still mentally standing there in the Pit, literally gaping at Mick's vocal performance and I'd expect SSoH to have a similar effect when played live...

Whoever they have as their female backing singer next year may start taking vocal lessons now.  She's going to have her work cut out to come anywhere close to what I've just heard.  Grin

... ... ...
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1257 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:13pm
Love it! It deserves a header and a new thread but it's ok here

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1258 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:17pm
ronnie-woody wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 12:50pm:
Ah never mind my prior question about Apple Music users, it's on YT!

I love the fact that McCartney - who is regarded by many as being a bit careful with his money - ended up working on a Stones session on a day where he had already paid Andy Watt to be his producer.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #1259 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:31pm
Me likey!

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

ThomasOliver
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1260 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:37pm
10" single ordered. It was actually cheaper on HMV than the band's own website.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1261 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:39pm
It's a really beautiful song. Keith described Streets of Shite as a Mick Tour de Force, but boy is this a Mick Tour de Force if there ever was one.

There aren't too many popular soul singers around any more, and it's amazing that at 80, Mick is still right up there with the best of them. He's never given enough credit for his soul chops, but this is a monster.

Still not a fan of Lady Gaga but have to say that without her, the song wouldn't be nearly as good. A couple seconds she overbsings, but the rest is really incredible. It's really beautiful how Mick sort of leads her through the song. The old master really showing the way. Credit there to the production of Watt.

I also understand Mick's comments now about Steve Jordan tastefully paying tribute to Charlie. It's clearly Steve Jordan, but he does some lovely stuff with Charlie like licks throughout.

It's a great feeling when your favorite band still writes the best songs.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1262 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 2:27pm
This song is getting better with each listen from YT.

Played on home stereo- pretty friggin sweet!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #1263 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:24pm
third listen, and I welled up. So many feels.

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1264 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:31pm
The Wick wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 1:39pm:
It's a great feeling when your favorite band still writes the best songs.

Been feeling this all day. Hackney Diamonds has the makings to be a top "late period masterpiece" album from anyone in the pantheon of 60's/70's rock acts.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #1265 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:38pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 11:27am:
Fuck me, thats gorgeous.

The Stones, Stevie and Stefani have knocked it out of the park with that one. And that horn section coda is beautiful.

Four shots so far and four goals. This is shaping up to be quite an album.

I've only heard Angry and Sweet Sounds, and I don't know if I can handle more, it's so good I feel like I OD'd on music.

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1266 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:46pm
tbh of the 4 songs we could listen to so far (including the 2 leaked ones) I actually like Angry the least but that's just my opinion...SSoH is a true masterpiece, it's utterly breathtaking, I mean I had goosebumps and almost started crying when listening to it for the first time, incredible...I also really love Get Close and Depending on You and I couldn't be any more excited to finally get to hear all the new songs <3

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1267 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:48pm
Guys- the song on my phone or laptop does not sound the way it really sounds. I played it through my phone over speakers in the car- WOW friggin WEE! It sounds big and clear like an old friend mate. Lady Ga Ga is a great fit. Made a Kroger run and Kroger is 7 mins away. Heard it twice. Got some milk, thanks.

This album will stun listeners.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:59pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1268 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:01pm
ronnie-woody wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 3:46pm:
tbh of the 4 songs we could listen to so far (including the 2 leaked ones) I actually like Angry the least but that's just my opinion...SSoH is a true masterpiece, it's utterly breathtaking, I mean I had goosebumps and almost started crying when listening to it for the first time, incredible...I also really love Get Close and Depending on You and I couldn't be any more excited to finally get to hear all the new songs <3

I like the second half of Angry- but on my first listens i always got a bit of cringe on that first verse.

I feel much more confident overall now. I think it will be fine as a song to get you into the groove of the album, and then all the songs that come after it are the real meat on the bone.

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #1269 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:29pm
Wow, great song. For me it proves their "future" lays in the blues and not in Rock. For "Angry" they are just too old but with tracks like this who knows what can happen in the near future.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1270 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:34pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:29pm:
Wow, great song. For me it proves their "future" lays in the blues and not in Rock. For "Angry" they are just too old but with tracks like this who knows what can happen in the near future.

many of my favourite Stones songs are when they step out of the 'rock anthem' bubble that most people put them in

Slave, If I Was a Dancer, Let It Loose, Torn & Frayed, Shine a light, Everything is turning to gold, Continental Drift, Almost Hear You Sigh, Moonlight Mile, Memory Motel etc

Heck, I even love the long dub version of 'Feel on Baby'

... ... ...
IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1271 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:43pm
I wish they'd play Let it Loose live...I could die happy after that...Mick's voice still got it as he is demonstrating on SSoH, or as he did last year in Berlin with Fool to Cry...
also Almost Hear You Sigh...sometimes I truly regret I was only born in the 90s and never had a chance to go to the Steel Wheels tour...but hell am I looking forward to getting to hear SSoH live next hear...what a time to be alive and be a fan of the greatest band in the world!

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1272 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 5:18pm

There are all kinds of charts, they mean little, they're somewhat rigged.
But what the hell...

Global Digital Artist

57- Lady Gaga (+41)
112- The Rolling Stones (+71)

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2023 at 7:14pm by Rev 20 Redlights »  

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1273 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 7:01pm

I also need to note that Gaga is receiving even more pushback from the
extreme purist elements of her fanbase than the Stones are from theirs.
So yeah, generally Gaga is doing better with Stones fans than the reverse.
There are close to zero Stones fans spewing open hatred at Gaga but,
i mean, some of the anti-straight-white-male snark coming out of
Gaga-land is... Well, some of it is quite funny. Some of them queens truly
have razor-sharp wit, but they seem to be an isolated gaggle of geese
at the moment, because the great bulk of their fellow monsters
are singing hallelujah

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2023 at 12:50am by Rev 20 Redlights »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1274 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 8:49pm
Lady Gaga shares the story behind “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” with The Rolling Stones:

“I was in the studio at Henson preparing for Joker, leaving to go home for the night and someone said ‘Mick wants to see you.’ I only know one Mick, so I walked down to a studio at the other end of the hall and opened the door. It was a portal to the 70s.
“I saw Mick, Keith, Ronnie. Stevie Wonder was there along with all the musicians they were collaborating with. Steve Jordan on the drums. Family & friends hanging out listening on big speakers while Andrew Watt smiled marveling at their unreleased album. We hung out for a bit listening to music and catching up. Mick then asked if I’d hang in the live room while they cut another record. I sat down on the floor, my back against a Rhodes-someone handed me some headphones and eventually a mic. Mick was towering over me smiling saying ‘go on and do your thing then.’ I listened to the music and scribbled furiously trying to learn the tune and then freestyled and sang along… trying not to step on everyone’s toes cuz Andrew had the whole room mic’d the way they did back in the day, and I didn’t want my vocals to bleed into any of the magic they’d been making. The Rhodes was vibrating furiously through my back-Stevie was playing and my whole body was shaking with every note. We played for a few hours and everyone was so excited having me there (this felt so exciting if not slightly insane). I went home not thinking much of it, I loved the song and all the musicians but I thought we were just hangin. Andrew texted me the next day saying Mick wanted to cut the vocals WITH me that night-the way he’d cut them back in the day. Same room, two mics. Single takes. I thought about Mary Clayton… Gimme Shelter…gospel and soul. I thought about my favorite old Stones tunes and all the great vocalists who had sung with Mick, making what we know now as a ‘sound’ unique to a band that defined a huge piece of rock’n’roll. Then we cut it live. Making the ‘Sweet Sounds of Heaven.’ I sang in a way I never really sang before except for with Mick. And Andrew and I both cried-there’s something about witnessing music history and when you get to be a part of it I think that’s exactly what our heaven feels like. It’s just a sweet sound.”

(from Lady Ga Ga Daily facebook page)
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2023 at 8:50pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 61
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)