Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Charlie Watts announces his 2011 tour dates (Read 4,625 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Charlie Watts announces his 2011 tour dates
Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:49pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Charlie Watts announces 2011 tour dates for his jazz band

January 18th, 2011 3:13 pm ET
http://www.examiner.com/rolling-stones-in-national/charlie-watts-announces-2011-...

Just as he did in 2010, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is doing select tour dates in Europe in 2011, with his jazz band The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie. The 2011 tour kicks off in Vienna, Austria, at the Wiener Metropol on March 30, March 31 and April 1. Other tour dates are to be announced.

(Click here to see The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie perform at a September 2010 concert in Paris.)

The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie group members also include bass player Dave Green and pianists Axel Zwingenberger and Ben Waters. As previously reported, Waters has collaborated with the Rolling Stones and former Stones bass player Bill Wyman for a tribute album titled "Boogie for Stu," honoring the late Ian Stewart, who was a longtime backup musician for the Stones. The Rolling Stones and Wyman have reportedly recorded a cover version of Bob Dylan's "Watching the River Flow" for Waters' "Boogie for Stu" album (due out on March 9, 2011), which features several other guests artists.

In 2010, there were rampant rumors that the Stones would begin their next tour in the summer of 2011. I have always been skeptical that a Stones tour would begin in the summer of 2011, considering that it takes about a year for the Stones to plan their tours, and there was no indication that they were preparing to start a tour at that time.

If a Stones tour had been scheduled for the summer of 2011, the Stones would have to be ready to rehearse by the spring of 2011. And with Watts touring with his jazz band during this period of time, all signs point to the Stones not being ready to tour until the last quarter of 2011, if they tour in 2011 at all. A new Rolling Stones album in 2011 is more likely, as guitarist Keith Richards has been hinting in his more recent interviews. Stay tuned

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Charlie Watts announces his 2011 tour dates
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 10:14pm
So much for the reluctant drummer not wanting to tour.......It's pretty clear at this point what the hold up is. Are you fucking serious? What the fuck? Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 10:55pm
Good for the folks across the pond and Charlie, but
I guess this means no Stones Tour........
stu watching how stupid we are LOL

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

paul
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

England
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 3:07am
Does anyone really think the Stones will do another huge tour. They have nothing to prove, so why bother. Thats not saying they should never play together again, but a huge tour, personally i dont see it.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:22am
A huge "goodbye" tour and be done with it. I dont think Mick & Keith would care if they ever saw each other again.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:53am
It's coming, just have to hope everyones health holds out. Hey you mexican fucker.  smoking more weed is good for your health Perverted Mick Kiss my undercover ass Blank Frigging Stare you made a grown man cry Who stole this one? (Seriously)
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:54am by TomL »  

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 7:13am
The "hold up" is Mick.

Just Mick.

Ole Bastard.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 7:30am
steel driving hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 7:13am:
The "hold up" is Mick.

Just Mick.

Possibly true, to a point - but then ask yourself why he wouldnt be interested in a Stones tour at the minute.

Maybe he can't stand the thought of being in the same vicinity as Keith for months on end?

Maybe as a professional, he's concerned about the effects of ageing, ill-health and overindulgence down the years are likely to have on the band's two guitarists and, as a result of that, on the band's reputation.

Mick's not an idiot - he refused to tour in 1986 not only because of the poor relationships within the band but also because of the state of health of individual members (ie, 'they weren't fit to cross the Champs-Elysees, never mind go on the road').

Of course, the fact that he mightn't deem it financially worth the effort in the current climate is also a major factor, but it may not be the only one.

The fact that they met 6 weeks ago and STILL couldnt agree to tour in 2011 is a bad sign - as is the fact that apparently they decided to wait until February to talk about it again.

I think this writer is a bit optimistic to think there's a chance that the Stones might release a new CD INSTEAD of touring in 2011. If they are to make one, it'll be BECAUSE they (and Universal) want a product out at the same time as a tour.

If they're going to tour without one, to be honest, I'd rather they stayed at home. The fact that the last tour was effectively a continuation of the Licks stadium shows was a bad enough idea. Three greatest hits tours in a row would be pointless and just taking the piss.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:25am
Gazza wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 7:30am:
The "hold up" is Mick.

Just Mick.

Three greatest hits tours in a row would be pointless and just taking the piss.

Yeah they've been doing that forever it seems.

A nice, mellowed out arena tour of songs never played would be hard since they'd have to go back together and re-learn all those songs together day in and day out. I can see why they want to be apart for a while.

I'd be easier (and yes pointless) for them to do another greatest hits tour, since they already know the songs!
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:28am by N/A »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:42am
Heck if they did a new album and it was a huge hit with great songs (yeah I wish) they'd still only play 2-3 songs from it anyway. They'll never do a good bye tour (far too Whoish)..so at this point creatively, economically and band vibe wise touring makes no sense. With each passing month the likelihood of those factors all changing upwards imho decreases.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:26am
Well it can't be health problems. Charlie's looking good. Ronnie has been staying sober. Keith looks healthy in public appearences. Altough his ability to play guitar is a huge question mark.Certainly nothing wrong with Mick's health. They just can't seem to figure out a way to do something different from the mega tours they're used to doing.

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:43am
Good things come, to those who wait? lol What a post Ronnie!!!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:57am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 10:53am
gimmekeef wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:42am:
Heck if they did a new album and it was a huge hit with great songs (yeah I wish) they'd still only play 2-3 songs from it anyway. They'll never do a good bye tour (far too Whoish)..so at this point creatively, economically and band vibe wise touring makes no sense. With each passing month the likelihood of those factors all changing upwards imho decreases.

Two months ago, I'd have given the chances of the Stones touring in 2011 as 90/10. And that it would be behind a new record.

Right now? I'd say about 60/40 at best for a tour, with a new record about 40/60.

Thats not to say that they wouldnt do either again if it didnt happen this year, but if I'm being honest, the very thought of the Stones touring in 2012 after FIVE years of pretty much total activity at their age is enough to make me shit liquid. Four years of sitting on their arses is bad enough.

The longer they go without any activity then the more musically futile this is going to be and the more convinced I am that they've really reached a stage where they simply can't be bothered anymore but won't admit it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:44am
If we don't hear anything after the supposed February meeting, things are not in our favor.
At the same time, I cannot imagine them letting the 50th anniversary go by without a Tour.

The flame on my candle of hope is fading.

And then MAJOR depression set in.....................................................sigh

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:49am
I DO BELIEVE THE TOURS ARE OVER BUT I THINK THEYLL BE ONSTAGE AT SOME POINT AGAIN.
DUDES ARE OLD.
THE "WYMAN RETURNING FOR TOUR" NON SENSE WAS HYSTERICAL.HE'LL BE SEVENTY FUCKING FIVE   IN OCTOBER !
Boring post

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:27pm
Gazza, what do you think the chances of a new 'Best-Of' are? 40 Licks in no longer available of course and if the Stones are to tour in celebration of 50 years as a group, then I can sense another compilation on the horizon. After all, how many have the Who relreased in recent years?

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:30pm
LadyJane wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:44am:
And then MAJOR depression set in.....................................................sigh

lol

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:54pm
If we don't hear anything after the supposed February meeting, things are not in our favor.
At the same time, I cannot imagine them letting the 50th anniversary go by without a Tour.

The flame on my candle of hope is fading.

At least your credit cards will thank you. Smiley

IP Logged

Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 2:17pm
I'm sure the major hold up is Don Was. Dude is probably busy doing something.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:38pm

They'll NOT let that pass without a bang of some sort. I'd bet money on it.

Whether it's in any wise for them to wait that long before they do anything is another matter entirely, though.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:40pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:27pm:
Gazza, what do you think the chances of a new 'Best-Of' are? 40 Licks in no longer available of course and if the Stones are to tour in celebration of 50 years as a group, then I can sense another compilation on the horizon. After all, how many have the Who relreased in recent years?

Very high. They have a five year deal with Universal which is mainly based on their back catalogue. The optimum time for Universal to cash in on that arrangement would be around a tour or anniversary.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:44pm
I still believe that in april there will be a pressconference anouncing a worldtour, starting somewhere around september in the US. I think the designing and building of the stage(s) have already begun. I don't however believe in a new album. That's just to late for a new tour. Let's wait and see.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #23 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:10pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:40pm:
[Very high. They have a five year deal with Universal which is mainly based on their back catalogue. The optimum time for Universal to cash in on that arrangement would be around a tour or anniversary.

I'm thinking another 40 Licks-style comp could be on the cards with a few newley recorded tracks thrown in. I'd prefer a new full studio release, but meh, I'd take it.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:47pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:44pm:
I still believe that in april there will be a pressconference anouncing a worldtour, starting somewhere around september in the US. I think the designing and building of the stage(s) have already begun. I don't however believe in a new album. That's just to late for a new tour. Let's wait and see.

ARE YOU RELATED TO IAN BILLEN ?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #25 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:57pm
"  ....  the fact that he mightn't deem it financially worth the effort in the current climate is also a major factor, but it may not be the only one.   "

<  ------ AMEN !!!!!!!!!!

Damn Straight    ....... Twenty - Five Consecutive Months of Nine Percent or greater Unemployment here in the United States ( longest such streak since the 1930's  ) . Nice Sad

Snuggles 

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:10pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:10pm
I have said it before and I will say it again...

Set up a RESIDENCY in 3 or 4 cities...

let the money come to you, Mick!!!

Low overhead...plenty of R & R...a serious comfort zone...
and themed shows...greatest hits...60s/70s...70s/80... 90s/00 ( the best seats will be at these shows)...specific albums...stripped...or not...

I think Jagger can still fit in all the glitter blazers from 2005

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:13pm
" [Set up a RESIDENCY in 3 or 4 cities...

Low overhead...plenty of R & R...a serious comfort zone... "

<  ----- Sounds like Vegas !!!!!!!!

Sure does Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijikins  ..... oh , Little Fiji     ... Lilttle Fijikins    ... oh ............)

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:19pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:10pm:

and themed shows...greatest hits...60s/70s...70s/80... 90s/00 ( the best seats will be at these shows)...specific albums...stripped...or not...

Keith no likey. Interesting stuff Ronnie!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:10pm:

A great idea for many acts, but unworkable for a band who in their main markets were charging $450 for MOST of their tickets last time.

Such a venture relies on attendees travelling to the city in question, staying in hotels and maybe even attending multiple shows. Ain't gonna realistically happen at those prices especially when the band dont ever play two nights in a row.

Prince charged £31.21 at the 02 and sold out 21 nights pre-economic crash. Michael Jackson charged £75 for most tickets and sold out 50 shows. Most Stones tickets were £150 and they barely filled the three nights that they put on sale.

They're seriously going to have to eat some humble pie and charge less money.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #30 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:38am
Gazza wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 7:30am:
The "hold up" is Mick.

Just Mick.

Possibly true, to a point - but then ask yourself why he wouldnt be interested in a Stones tour at the minute.

Maybe he can't stand the thought of being in the same vicinity as Keith for months on end?

Maybe as a professional, he's concerned about the effects of ageing, ill-health and overindulgence down the years are likely to have on the band's two guitarists and, as a result of that, on the band's reputation.

Mick's not an idiot - he refused to tour in 1986 not only because of the poor relationships within the band but also because of the state of health of individual members (ie, 'they weren't fit to cross the Champs-Elysees, never mind go on the road').

Of course, the fact that he mightn't deem it financially worth the effort in the current climate is also a major factor, but it may not be the only one.

The fact that they met 6 weeks ago and STILL couldnt agree to tour in 2011 is a bad sign - as is the fact that apparently they decided to wait until February to talk about it again.

I think this writer is a bit optimistic to think there's a chance that the Stones might release a new CD INSTEAD of touring in 2011. If they are to make one, it'll be BECAUSE they (and Universal) want a product out at the same time as a tour.

If they're going to tour without one, to be honest, I'd rather they stayed at home. The fact that the last tour was effectively a continuation of the Licks stadium shows was a bad enough idea. Three greatest hits tours in a row would be pointless and just taking the piss.

Gazza rest assured Mick Jagger IS interested in a Stones tour...Why? =cash, fame, performing. As you said he's no dummy so it should not of taken him this long to finally realize his bread and butter is with The Rolling Stones. Be it financially or publicity wise nothing he has done, or will do will come close to that ...so he knows it.  However something isn't jiving with the summer of 2011 being the time??

Something is a "problem" there. I hope they all have their health?... Possibly we will see an album... It's only been six years since their last release....

As you said ... I am not too interested in a tour. I am interested in a album FIRST then I will start thinkin about goin and seeing them.  I KNOW what they can do live. We all do. What we don't know is how much, and to what quality they can deliver an album these days. I look forward to a great Stones album making me feel as only The Stones can. Some how it always fits into the story of your life and you love it. That is what I look forward to... not a tour so much. Tour is secondary to me these days. There is much more mystery to a studio release.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #31 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:28am
The taking less money approach may have been presented at the last summit. More than lack of new ideas I would think this is the real reason there is no solid tour plan. Points to the greed factor and ego. I mean if Dylan and Plant etc can tour smaller venues because they enjoy it or want to for their fans why can't our guys? yeah right.........

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #32 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:46am
guys. they are getting older and they got other shit to do.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #33 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:10am
Some Guy wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:46am:

Like what?...shit........

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #34 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:16am
gimmekeef wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:10am:

family, friends and enjoying the fruits of success.

IP Logged

Lantern<High
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 10:56am
Ok, I've see guys.. only one thing maybe we could do for finally see London's guys..
Each one of us put together the money for booking them for a private gig.
Six million dollars at least...
A great Stone Rockoffer show..
To them like it, to they seem me that only liked it in all these years..

It's only rock and roll but I like it, like it..

Or not? Wink

Not only them are getting older, but also the fans..  Cheesy

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #36 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:02am
Ian Billen wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:38am:

Gazza rest assured Mick Jagger IS interested in a Stones tour...Why? =cash, fame, performing. As you said he's no dummy so it should not of taken him this long to finally realize his bread and butter is with The Rolling Stones. Be it financially or publicity wise nothing he has done, or will do will come close to that ...so he knows it.  However something isn't jiving with the summer of 2011 being the time??

Something is a "problem" there. I hope they all have their health?... Possibly we will see an album... It's only been six years since their last release....

Not as convinced as you are. Money might be all well and good, but it wouldnt be the first time that Jagger has refused to tour with the Stones because he felt the band weren't up to the task OR because relationships within the band made such a venture an unpleasant prospect.

In 1986 it was both. In 2011 it could well be one of the above (more likely the first one) and also for the first time ever there's the added elephant in the room that (gasp) a Stones tour may not be the sure-fire record breaker that it's always been in the past. 

They'll need a new business model next time. Can Jagger's ego stomach making the effort to embark on a major tour which will only bring in a fraction of the revenue that previous tours made?

The Stones may live in a bubble, but most of the rest of the planet certainly don't. If they dont make their shows more affordable, they'll have serious problems.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:03am

Exactly. Old people tend to need to shit more.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #38 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:11pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:03am:

Exactly. Old people tend to need to shit more.

LOL..tell me about it!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #39 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 6:07pm
"  ... Old people tend to need to shit more.  "

... !!!!!!!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #40 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:31pm
50 LICKS?!  50 YEARS is the next cash cow for the Stones. MICK is still mad about what KEEF wrote in the book about his tiny todger! However, the 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY will trump the bad feelings and MICK will get over his moodiness by then. MICK's ego is large and proud, but he's far from stupid so the Stones will cash in on 50th YEARS and release a big CD 50 song package and a few new songs thrown in so we have to buy it! Another tour of just the big cities where people spend the bucks and add another successful tour to their legendary career, praised for the longest running act, one for the history books! It aint over yet!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #41 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:36pm
The Bitch is back! Let's go get drunk Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #42 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:52pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:02am:
Ian Billen wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:38am:

Gazza rest assured Mick Jagger IS interested in a Stones tour...Why? =cash, fame, performing. As you said he's no dummy so it should not of taken him this long to finally realize his bread and butter is with The Rolling Stones. Be it financially or publicity wise nothing he has done, or will do will come close to that ...so he knows it.  However something isn't jiving with the summer of 2011 being the time??

Not as convinced as you are. Money might be all well and good, but it wouldnt be the first time that Jagger has refused to tour with the Stones because he felt the band weren't up to the task OR because relationships within the band made such a venture an unpleasant prospect.

In 1986 it was both. In 2011 it could well be one of the above (more likely the first one) and also for the first time ever there's the added elephant in the room that (gasp) a Stones tour may not be the sure-fire record breaker that it's always been in the past.  

They'll need a new business model next time. Can Jagger's ego stomach making the effort to embark on a major tour which will only bring in a fraction of the revenue that previous tours made?

The Stones may live in a bubble, but most of the rest of the planet certainly don't. If they dont make their shows more affordable, they'll have serious problems.

From the interview with Keith where he stated they were talking about "changing" how The Rolling Stones tour and the tid-bits coming in saying they are looking into different options .... and with their high profile promoters looking at if it is possible and how in 2011-2012 (Cohl ... not to mention Jagger and Co's. and all their handlers/management's business savy) I am sure they realize a change in how it is to work is necessary. This time I think the standard album .... followed by a year and a half/two year tour is out. I sense a change in the order of things some how.

No Stones tour in history lost money. With all their high end analysts / promoters looking at these multi-million dollar jaunts of today I am sure they will make the necessary adjustments or change direction appropriately. Remember, whether Jaggers ego is large or not... the people surrounding them are not going to invest all their time and all this money if it has a good chance at failing. Jagger will have to promote and fund the tour himself if he isn't willing to accept changes.  It's economics and as large as Jaggers ego is, and with all the clout the guy has which is immense, still he isnt going to persuade a promotion company and/or corporate sponsors to spend millions against their analysts better judgment.

*As far as Mick being interested. What I meant is the guy is certainly interested... but I agree as you said ...he'd stand behind not touring if he thought it would embarrass him or the band. He was too calculative and wisely reserved to risk a Stones endeavor in 86 and he's every bit as calculative today.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2011 at 10:01pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #43 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 10:12pm
Keith says a lot of stuff. But his influence over how the Stones do anything ended many years ago.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #44 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 7:04am
Do we ever stop to think...that maybe they are just done with all the effort that goes into touring?..Man at their age with their tour legacy secured I'd be hard pressed to say.."yeah let's give it a go" unless there was a compelling reason to do so. i can't find one....50 years ??? not sure even that's enough

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 9:51am
I'm not suggesting a Stones tour would lose money, Ian - as long as they're being bankrolled up to their necks by corporate sponsors, thats never going to happen - but that it might not be the windfall that's massive enough to make them want to bother even risking it.

And to echo what scl and gimmekeef have just said, Keith's 'pronouncements' about the band's future altruistic intentions have become more empty and worthless with each succeeding year, and the argument that the entire band is really into doing all of this anymore isn't that convincing.

... ... ...
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #46 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 11:17am
MY BELIEF IS MICK IS WAY MORE INTERESTED RIGHT NOW IN MAKING HIS PROJECT WITH SCORCESE WORK, RATHER THAN WORKING WITH KEITH.

IN HONOR OF THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE 86 NON TOUR.. THE STONES WILL NOT TOUR IN 2011.
ONE CAN MEDICATE ONES DEPRESSIONS BY PLAYING DIRTY WORK....LOUD !
stu-smiling

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #47 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 12:40pm
" IN HONOR OF THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE 86 NON TOUR.. THE STONES WILL NOT TOUR IN 2011.
ONE CAN MEDICATE ONES DEPRESSIONS BY PLAYING DIRTY WORK....LOUD !   "

Perks ......................................................................

I swear the Friggin GOD !!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #48 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 2:51pm
Joey wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 12:40pm:
" IN HONOR OF THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE 86 NON TOUR.. THE STONES WILL NOT TOUR IN 2011.
ONE CAN MEDICATE ONES DEPRESSIONS BY PLAYING DIRTY WORK....LOUD !   "

Perks ......................................................................

I swear the Friggin GOD !!!!!!!!

Joey...time for your walk....

... ... ...
IP Logged

luxury
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:33pm
apropos of nothing, but this week Howard Stern was trashing Keith's book, saying he tried to read it, cus he is a big fan of Keith's, but he found Keith so nasty to and jealous of Mick, that he just couldnt get through the book.

&&

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #50 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:53pm
luxury wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:33pm:
apropos of nothing, but this week Howard Stern was trashing Keith's book, saying he tried to read it, cus he is a big fan of Keith's, but he found Keith so nasty to and jealous of Mick, that he just couldnt get through the book.

and right after that Howard introduced a midget with Tourets to make fun of?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #51 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:59pm
gimmekeef wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:53pm:
luxury wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:33pm:

and right after that Howard introduced a midget with Tourets to make fun of?

Exactly,Howard Stern no more mr mean guy. Bullshit. The most overrated ,undertalented piece of shit on the face of the earth......Although he is kind of right about Keith's book. But at least I managed to finish it and I doubt Howie actually paid for his copy.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #52 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 5:50pm
[quote author=Gazza link=1295408951/25#45 date=1295625076]I'm not suggesting a Stones tour would lose money, Ian - as long as they're being bankrolled up to their necks by corporate sponsors, thats never going to happen - but that it might not be the windfall that's massive enough to make them want to bother even risking it.

I know you weren't. I'm saying that the analysts and promoters would give the layout on what would probably make money and what very well may not and the tour route and structure would have to abide to what would most likely make money otherwise they wouldn't fund such a doomed jaunt is what I was trying to get across. 

And to echo what scl and gimmekeef have just said, Keith's 'pronouncements' about the band's future altruistic intentions have become more empty and worthless with each succeeding year, and the argument that the entire band is really into doing all of this anymore isn't that convincing.

It's is convincing they want to do it to me. Why? Well...They are in talks about it. They do not need to fly in from wherever to say ..."I'm not into it this time guys". Kina as Bill Wyman didn't. No gathered meeting between Bill and The Stones was needed. One by one they tried to persuade him but as far as meetings go ... wasn't needed. Nor would it be needed this time if one of em or all of them didn't want to do it. Regardless... they would of quit already if they didn't want to continue doing this into their elder years. The Stones will tour until they can't anymore for one reason or another. Every tour we have people that say they probably aren't going to do it anymore or aren't that into it and every time look what we get... . That rap has been going on for decades... They would of lost interest already, or a long while back if they didn't have it in their blood. It's a challenge to them and they enjoy it and enjoy being The Rolling Stones. All of them say they are in talks of things to come concerning The Rolling Stones... what more can you say? They are not ready to retire yet.

Ian

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #53 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 9:43am
Ian enjoy the kool aid....I hope you are right

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #54 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 9:57am
IAN BILLEN YOUR FAITH IS INSPIRING..INSPIRING ME TO READ ALL 1,000 PAGES OF THE JOEY THREAD !

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #55 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:00am
" Joey...time for your walk....   "

Gazza .................................

Just got off the phone with Jaxxy !!!!!!

She saw Maaca at the PCenter and is now ' hooked ' .

" Hit Me Ronnie ! "

Snuggles ! ™

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #56 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 9:52am
" ..INSPIRING ME TO READ ALL 1,000 PAGES OF THE JOEY THREAD  ! "

... !!!!!!!

IP Logged

albert
Rocks Off Regular

it's only r'n'roll

Noordwijk, Nederland
Reply #57 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 8:26am
I think I'll make a reservation in my agenda for august 2012 for Slane Castle.

Gazza, will you be there? Even if it's only 'greatest hits'?

grt,
Albert
Vietnam

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #58 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 10:29am
Pretty hard to resist a Stones show thats 80 miles down the road even if I dont like the venue, albert.

Especially when on the two occasions I've been there for the Stones, theyve been the only shows out of 47 where I was able to get home the same night. (And 43 of those shows have necessitated a plane journey (sometimes two) and/or a boat trip to see the gig!)

Dont think they'll play Slane again, though. The promoters try and vary the headline act around as much as they can. Plus, as the Irish economy is in the toilet and will be for the next few decades, a Stones gig there to 60,000 people would be a tough sell.

... ... ...
IP Logged

albert
Rocks Off Regular

it's only r'n'roll

Noordwijk, Nederland
Reply #59 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 4:06am
Gazza wrote on Jan 24th, 2011 at 10:29am:
Pretty hard to resist a Stones show thats 80 miles down the road even if I dont like the venue, albert.

Especially when on the two occasions I've been there for the Stones, theyve been the only shows out of 47 where I was able to get home the same night. (And 43 of those shows have necessitated a plane journey (sometimes two) and/or a boat trip to see the gig!)

Dont think they'll play Slane again, though. The promoters try and vary the headline act around as much as they can. Plus, as the Irish economy is in the toilet and will be for the next few decades, a Stones gig there to 60,000 people would be a tough sell.

Well in that case; you're most welcome in Amsterdam in august 2011!

Grt,
Albert
Goodmorning Vietnam!!...........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)