Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 
Send Topic Print
"We" got a new Stones Album (Read 91,336 times)
lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Re: "We" got a new Stones Album
Reply #1475 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:39am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Loving 'Live By The Sword' too!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

lethargy
Rocks Off Regular

Last Bitch To Get Paid

california
Reply #1476 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:43am
Holy shit, the concurrent mick harp solo and ronnie acoustic guitar solo in Dreamy Skies?!?!?! Classic album in the making here

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1477 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:47am
I'd like to give a plug here to our friend Ian McPherson's indispensable 'Time is on Our Side' website (every fan should have it bookmarked)

https://www.timeisonourside.com/index.html

The album is only out today but he's been pretty busy in recent weeks updating the 'Tracktalk' part of his site, not only transcribing the lyrics and who's playing on each song, but collating the many interviews where the band members have discussed each song in depth

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:49am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

ThomasOliver
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1478 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 12:29pm
Got the email 5 minutes ago to say my copy has finally been dispatched .

IP Logged

ThomasOliver
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1479 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 12:30pm
Edit - duplicate post.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2023 at 12:31pm by ThomasOliver »  

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1480 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 12:36pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:47am:
I'd like to give a plug here to our friend Ian McPherson's indispensable 'Time is on Our Side' website (every fan should have it bookmarked)

The album is only out today but he's been pretty busy in recent weeks updating the 'Tracktalk' part of his site, not only transcribing the lyrics and who's playing on each song, but collating the many interviews where the band members have discussed each song in depth

Omg I LOVE the tracktalk on this site, found so so many great and interesting quotes there since I discovered this site...clearly so much work is flowing into this and I highly apprecciate <3

Mentioning track talk...I ordered that special bundle with the blu-ray and litograph which arrived earlier and it has a book coming with it with pictures and some kind of interview on the making of the album and also comments by Mick, Keith and Ronnie on every song, so amazing to read Smiley

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1481 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 1:02pm
I love what Darryl Jones and Steve Jordan bring to the band, but Live By The Sword and Rollin Stone Blues just feel like home.

IP Logged

charlotte
Rocks Off Regular

You've got a cut throat
crew

Reply #1482 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 1:08pm
Damn, Gazza! Harsh but true! On my third run today- getting better every turn! Soaking is a good thing.

&&&&

IP Logged

Maxmeister
Rocks Off Regular

Locked, cocked and ready
to rock!

Reply #1483 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 1:23pm
Album and the Hackney t shirt arrived this morning.
Now on my third run through with the appropriate attire.
Fucking awesome. The boys on fire 61 years on. Unbelievable.

Rick

Charlie Charlie Charlie!

Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #1484 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 2:00pm
...From Andrew Watt Instagram
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2023 at 2:05pm by rogerriffin »  

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #1485 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 3:04pm
I picked up my copy of "Hackney Diamonds" today, and experienced the same sense of excitement and anticipation I've felt with every new release since the day I bought "Let It Bleed" almost fifty-four years ago.  But there is also an added poignancy, as this is the first new Stones album since my mother passed in March.

I mention my mom because she introduced me to the Rolling Stones, 59 years ago next week when they first appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.  We typically watched Walt Disney and not Sullivan on Sunday evenings (I think I was the only kid in my fourth grade class who didn't see the Beatles), but Mom insisted on seeing the Stones.  I was instantly hooked; as Andrew the First put it, "they are a way of life."

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1486 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 3:44pm
A few things stand out.

Mick and Keith harmonizing is always magic, and they do it quite a bit on this. Credit to Andrew Watt.

The guitars, especially the lead lines haven't sounded this good since Tattoo You. Again, credit to Andrew Watt.

The last time Mick's harp playing sounded this good was on Fancy Man Blues. Not that it wasn't good between these two, but he sounds especially good on this album

Elton John is too low in the mix, but he sounds fantastic. Channeling his love of Leon Russell.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2023 at 3:57pm by The Wick »  

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1487 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 3:52pm
The Wick wrote on Oct 20th, 2023 at 3:44pm:
A few things stand out.

Mick and Keith harmonizing is always magic, and they do it quite a bit on this. Credit to Andrew Watt.

The guitars, especially the lead lines haven't sounded this good since Tattoo You. Again, credit to Andrew Watt.

The last time I hear Mick's harp playing sound good was on Fancy Man Blues. Not that it wasn't good between these two, but he sounds especially good on this album

Elton John is too low in the mix, but he sounds fantastic. Channeling his love of Leon Russell.

Agree 100% with you...it makes me so happy to hear Mick and Keith sing together on so many songs, theit voices go so beautifully together...also I am absolutely stoked about some of those guitar parts, whether it be the rocky ones on Whole Wide World and Live By The Sword or the sweet licks on Dreamy Skies and Depending on You...

and I'm always a sucker for Mick's harp play...did you ever notice how Keith always looks at Mick in the most adoring way when he starts playing the harp on stage? (especially during Midnight Rambler) Well that's basically the look on my face also, his harp play on Rolling Stone Blues gave me goosebumps, the entire song did basically...

I love Elton on Live by the Sword but I honestly cannot hear him on Get Close, maybe I need better earplugs xD

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #1488 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 4:24pm
I couldn’t hear piano in the mix on Get Close too

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1489 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 6:17pm
Just Wow.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2023 at 8:46pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Roll Me
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1490 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 7:20am
is Elton trying to emulate Russel or Nicky Hopkins?....either way great addition....the sum of the parts here is what matters...the overall effort is outstanding and of course as usual Jagger is stellar...its obvious he is the X factor on this record......Keith was right..when the singer wants to sing...you better record him.

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1491 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 7:33am
talking about Elton...I have seen a few people, only a small minority tbh, who are complaining about the guest stars on the album, acting like the album sucks and the Stones need those guest stars in order to make the album even halfway listenable or something...

I think that's complete and utter bollocks, because when looking back on the Stones' history, they have always had guest stars or additional musicians on their records ever since the late 60s, it's just a part of what they do, throwing people in there who help them make the albums not only good but great but it doesm't mean that HD sucks without Gaga or Elton...I think those people complaining are just grasping for everything in order to bash the new album and all that the Stones are doing right now

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #1492 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 5:56pm

He / this website really does deserve props. Without it.. many of the blurbs of the band or their progress would go unknown. Additionally after it is all said and done .. It clarifies some things about dates etc.

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1493 - Oct 22nd, 2023 at 6:30pm
Mick Jagger
‘The more children you have, the more laissez-faire you get’: Mick Jagger on ageing, rage and missing Charlie Watts

With the first new Rolling Stones songs in 18 years, the band’s frontman is kicking himself for taking so long. He reflects on turning 80 in a worsening world – and the style and humour of his late drummer

Ben Beaumont-Thomas
@ben_bt
Fri 20 Oct 2023 05.00 BST

The new Rolling Stones album is the band’s best since Some Girls in 1978. Rock critics have been making this claim since the mid-1980s to talk up a series of albums – Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon – so you probably won’t believe me when I say their new one, Hackney Diamonds, really is that good. Better, actually. When I tell Mick Jagger how much I enjoyed it, by this point he’s as suspicious as anyone: “I’ve got really good reactions from people that seem to be genuine.”

They haven’t released an album of new songs since 2005’s A Bigger Bang, instead doing 2016 covers album Blue & Lonesome and a series of high-energy, record-breaking world tours. Jagger turned 80 this year, and with Keith Richards passing that milestone in December, I half expected them to do something like Johnny Cash’s final recordings with Rick Rubin, contemplating the Styx with a downbeat croak, particularly as it comes after the death in 2021 of Charlie Watts, the band’s drummer since they first stepped into a studio in 1963.

But Hackney Diamonds is a remarkably varied record: energised and serene, silly and hurt, pissed-off and spiritually aligned. The supporting cast includes Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney and Elton John, and Jagger himself is uproariously entertaining. “It’s every era of the Stones: 60s, 70s, the dance stuff they were doing in the 80s, a bare-bones Muddy Waters song,” the album’s producer, Andrew Watt, explains later over the phone.

“Not my idea,” Jagger says of that Muddy Waters cover, Rolling Stone Blues, which closes the album. With his airy tone, accent shuttling between Sloane Square and the Thames estuary of his childhood, he sounds rather bitchy, and he quickly realises what he’s said. “I think it’s a great idea! Just not my idea. We’re always known as a bluesy rock band – and yes, we finish on a Muddy Waters song. But we’re very capable of covering genres outside what you would normally think. I’m not trying to say we’re overlooked; I don’t think we are. But I’m glad we do songs like Depending on You” – a yearning ballad – “as well as Bite My Head Off”, a punk rock song with McCartney on fuzz-bass. “It’s a very wide space between those two. That’s what I like about this band: we’re not just willing to give it a go, we’re actually quite good at covering these different genres.”

I still think about Charlie a lot. I miss his laconic humour, his taste in music, his elegance, his don’t-care attitude

We’re sitting in a bohemian-posh house on the north bank of the Thames at Hammersmith, rented for a documentary being filmed about the band. Jagger’s been talking about himself all day, and rubs his eyes, which have a touch of milky cloud to them. But he is affable, engaging and open, even if I get the sense there are whole rooms of Jagger’s life that remain closed to the public.

Despite the 18-year gap between albums, he and Richards never really stopped writing. Watt tells me they brought him “60, 70, 80 songs”. Is Jagger kicking himself for not doing an album before now? “Yeah, kind of. That I wasn’t cracking the whip. Keith keeps saying in interviews, ‘When Mick’s ready to do a record, I’ll do it.’ I went, OK? If that’s all I have to say, then great! We’d got into this groove of going on big tours. But there’s no point crying about it now.”

Watt says the band told him: “‘Listen to everything we’ve got, and pick what you like.’ So I did exactly that. Some were demos; some weren’t developed. And there was a whole bunch of material with Charlie that we needed to listen through.” Watts had played on early versions of the songs Mess It Up and Live By the Sword, which were then finished after his death. Steve Jordan, chosen by Watts as a potential heir, played the rest of the album’s drum parts and now tours with the band.

“It’s a couple of years now, and I still think about Charlie a lot,” Jagger says. The day before we meet, he watched their beloved England cricket team thrash New Zealand. “Charlie would have liked Ben Stokes’s innings; I wish Charlie could have seen that 182. I miss his laconic humour. His taste in music. His elegance. His don’t-care attitude – he didn’t get intense. Keith and I get a bit intense.” There was a whole stretch of the 80s where the two were sniping at each other – Richards renamed Jagger “Brenda” and “Her Majesty” – and then again after Richards’ caustic 2010 memoir, which wasn’t kind to the size of Jagger’s manhood, among other things. “But Charlie wouldn’t, and it rubs off a bit – I’m not as intense as I used to be. I think about him when I’m playing, and what he would have played; whether he’d have liked this song, because I’d always bounce things off him. I’d be playing him the silly pop songs of the moment, and he’d love all that.

I hate to say this: as you get older, a lot of your friends die. That starts in your 20s

“But I hate to say this: as you get older, a lot of your friends die.” Does loss ever get any easier?
“No, it doesn’t get easier at all. There’s a lot of people around your age, they’re dying all the time. I don’t have any friends older than me, only one. Apart from the band, all my friends are much younger.” He jokily suggests this is self-preservation – “It’s easier that way!” – and gives a morbid chuckle. I wonder if Watts’ death brought home his own mortality, but he counters: “You’re aware of your own mortality from quite an early age – it’s not something that occurs to you in your 70s.” I certainly felt it more when my daughter was born, I say. “I agree – and [having children] started in my late 20s. It’s not a new thing, really.”

That child-rearing hasn’t stopped since; he’s now on to his eighth. From Al Pacino to Robert De Niro, it seems that no roguish male celebrity is complete without having a child well into their twilight years, and Jagger is no different: he had his son Deveraux with girlfriend Melanie Hamrick who was born when Jagger was 73 and Hamrick was 29.

“You get a bit out of practice – it’s not like riding a bike,” he says of restarting fatherhood. “The more children you have, the more laissez-faire you get about them, to be honest. And it depends on the child – they have their own personalities and you can mould them to a certain extent, but you see their likes and dislikes and encourage them to do things they gravitate towards. It’s fun to have children, at any age. But if you’re working, and always away, you don’t get to enjoy it quite as much.” When Deveraux was born, “I wasn’t working so much, so I was able to spend more time. And then we had the lockdown – he’s only six, and two of those years I did almost nothing [with the band].”

The Rolling Stones were really lucky – we went from zero to 100 very quickly

It’s tempting, and quite fun, to imagine how many of Jagger’s new lyrics are drawn from his life, particularly the finely detailed Angry and Bite My Head Off, full of the bewildered arguments you might well have with your partner during lockdown. Are these real lovers’ tiffs? “Maybe! It always has to come from somewhere. But you forget all that, and make it into this lighthearted, more exaggerated thing – something amusing.”

He gives me a full-wattage beam as if to dazzle me off this road of questioning, looking just like he does in Jane Bown’s wondrous 1977 portrait of him: eyes crinkled, teeth glowing.

Also taken from his life is the languorous Dreamy Skies, about the joy of the wilderness, which was inspired by Covid lockdown in his country house (“hearing foxes, which I don’t usually take much notice of”). The uptempo Whole Wide World, with Jagger putting an avuncular paw on the shoulder of those down on their luck, drew from further back: that sliver of time between boyhood and becoming a rock star, “when I was living in student digs. I wasn’t desperate, but you don’t know what’s going to happen to you at that age. You get a degree, but then what are you going to do? You’re in a band – and when you get a gig, it goes great, but gigs are few and far between. And you’ve got Brian [Jones] and Keith moaning that they’ve got no money. It didn’t last long, though. We were really lucky – we went from zero to 100 very quickly.”

What about Depending on You, where Jagger sings about being dumped for someone else?
“Completely imaginary.” Well, quite – as someone who didn’t so much overlap his sexual partners as tesselate them, he certainly has no shortage of source material for stories of spurned lovers. “You have to go back in your life, maybe, when you were in that position,” he admits, vaguely. “It’s inspired by people, but you have to have imagination. It’s a jilting song. Some of these songs are classic genre songs. In pop music you have the kiss-off, fuck-off song – it’s a classic genre. Then you have the ‘you’re being dropped’ song – this is that one.” Flash! Another beam.

More songs were written in Jamaica (“I knew Keith liked being there”) followed by recording sessions across multiple cities with Watt at the helm. “The great thing about the Stones is how loose they are, how they speed up and slow down, their internal heartbeat together,” Watt says, who recorded them live, without click tracks keeping them in time. Jagger would do his vocal takes wearing a sweater, button-down shirt and T-shirt, as Watt remembers. “The first take, second take, the sweater is still on. End of take two, the sweater comes off. Two more takes. As he’s singing, he’s unbuttoning the button-down, and then he’s in the T-shirt. When he’s in the fucking T-shirt, and he’s on that microphone, watch the fuck out. It’s 100% Jagger. He becomes that thing you see on stage; he would shake when he was singing notes, he would drip with sweat.”

Inspired in part by Bob Dylan, Jagger would deliberately un-finesse his vocals, as on Depending on You when he lets “you” atonally fall away. “Both Mick and Keith were like: it’s not Dylan enough,” Watt says. “It’s anti-singing, it’s almost speaking; he has such attention to detail in his voice, of making it not too good. That’s so cool. Every other singer I’ve worked with is like: I can sing that better. He’s the opposite: I could throw that away.” Jagger even hung around for the mixing. “I’ve never worked with anyone that worked as hard as him, ever. He was making sure you could hear a snare all the way through the song, that you could hear Keith and Ronnie and their interplay. Singers are usually, ‘Here’s my vocal, you do the rest.’ But he cares so much about this band, and how everyone is represented.”

There are of course still plenty of unreleased songs in that 80-odd cache, including “some other tracks we’ve done with Charlie that’ll probably come out,” Jagger says. “So he’s kind of still there – and I hope he likes the rest of the record.”

Also in the vault are “social comment songs”. “The trouble with social comment is that it goes out of date really quickly,” he says. We are speaking before the Israel-Hamas war, but Jagger’s been fretting plenty about politics, particularly “the polarity of opinion in the US, the unforgiving nature of people not understanding each other, the lack of cooperation. And it spills over into other countries, too. The US is very influential on European opinions and mores. There’s this semi-autocratic drift. Maybe I’m wrong – maybe these semi-autocratic governments would have happened anyway.”

He admires Australia for making voting mandatory, which he says keeps the extremes dampened down. “Not everything has to be compromised, but people do have to work together more. When we have extremists controlling the agenda, we get into trouble. I do see extremity on both sides [of the political spectrum].”

In the UK as well? “Not as much, but America is worrying, because if we get extremity governments in America, we get into too much fighting. People don’t really understand what they’re talking about half the time, to be honest. I’m sorry, they just don’t. And they have very strongly held views.”

With his almost comically abundant hair, sharp mind and sweaty vocal takes, you sense that Jagger will be around for a few more administrations yet, democratic, semi-autocratic or worse. One of the big pleasures of Hackney Diamonds is listening to him and his band stake out a new frontier for rock’n’roll: “There’s never been anyone else that has been a group for this long that has made an album this good at this point in their career,” Watt says, and it’s a fair statement. “Listen to his vocals, man – there’s no difference between 18 and 80.”

Nonetheless, Jagger is still asking himself: “How long can you really do it? It’s like asking: how long can someone go on playing for England? Not long, is usually the answer.” I ask if he dwells on that. “I do think about it. But I write all the time. You’ve just got to keep writing, and now everyone [in the band] can see they can record quite easily. It was only three weeks in the studio. It’s not difficult. Too much angst went into recording before. If it’s no good, it’s no good; if that track doesn’t work, another one will. Do it!”

• Hackney Diamonds is out now on Polydor.

The Guardian

Link :

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2023 at 6:31pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

IrelandCalling4
Rocks Off Regular

Jolly Green Ireland
Reply #1494 - Oct 23rd, 2023 at 4:39pm
Few days in and I'm still spinning the album joyously.

Am really loving it I have to say. Tracks like Driving Me Too Hard, Depending On You, Mess It Up, Whole Wide World & Sweet Sounds in particular are gems.

Not a single track I'd skip, the album flows very well and each track has it's own special something that keeps me revisiting.

'Ceol, ol agus cailin' - As Good A Motto As Any&&&&Top 5 Song-Titles:&&&&1.  "I'm going to Build me a bar, in the back of my Car, and drive myself to drink" !!&&&&2.  "How come your dog don't bite nobody but me"!&&&&3.  "Don't Cry on my shoulder cuz you're rusting my spurs" &&&&4.  "The Beer I had for breakfast is coming back for Lunch" (Love that one!)&&&&5.  "If money talks, it ain't on speaking terms with me" !

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1495 - Oct 23rd, 2023 at 6:13pm

Agree 100% one of the top-top websites, I'm proud to be there in the credits...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1496 - Oct 29th, 2023 at 8:56pm
Great pictures by Andrew Watt, published in Rolling Stone, some already posted

Paul playing his new Hofner 64 with the univox super fuzz in the bass

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1497 - Oct 29th, 2023 at 9:39pm
great photos. Can anyone repost the interview?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #1498 - Oct 29th, 2023 at 9:44pm
Meet the ‘Freak From Behind the Barricade’ Who Produced the New Rolling Stones Album
Andrew Watt talks in-depth about working on the Stones' Hackney Diamonds, which he calls "the honor of my life"

BY KORY GROW

WHAT DO YOU get when you allow a superfan to produce your band’s newest album? Hackney Diamonds.

Andrew Watt, who helmed the Rolling Stones‘ first album of original music in 18 years, wants it known that, first and foremost, he is a Stones fan, with an admittedly unhealthy obsession at that. Sure, he’s won the Grammy for Producer of the Year, as well as Grammys for albums he produced or co-produced for Ozzy Osbourne and Dua Lipa. And yeah, his credits include records by pop, hip-hop, and rock hitmakers: Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Post Malone, Future, Eddie Vedder, Iggy Pop, and Elton John, among them. But his biggest heroes have always been Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

“If I revealed how many Rolling Stones concerts I’ve been to, I don’t think the band would ever talk to me again,” the endlessly energetic 32-year-old says. “I’ve seen them in the rafters. I’ve seen them up close. I’ve lived this band as a fan.”

Seriously? “I wore a different Stones shirt in the studio every day,” he says. “My collection of Rolling Stones shirts goes deep; I have old ones and everything. I should’ve been ejected from the control room. The number one thing I would tell the band in the studio is, ‘You took a freak from behind the barricade and let him produce the album.'”

Yet Hackney Diamonds is far from a freak show. It’s the band’s best-reviewed album in four decades, and the singles “Angry” and “Sweet Sounds of Heaven,” the latter of which features Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder, both landed on Billboard’s rock chart. And since the LP came out last week, listeners have been picking apart guest contributions from Paul McCartney, Elton John, and original bassist Bill Wyman, as well as the drumming of Steve Jordan, who assumed a place behind the kit following the 2021 death of Charlie Watts. “I just think [the album is] the Stones this year,” Jagger told Rolling Stone last month. “I wanted it to be great. I didn’t want it to be just an album that was OK. And I think the album delivered what I wanted.”

Watt says Jagger first approached him about producing the album over tea in June of 2022, around the time the Stones performed at London’s Hyde Park. He’d met Jagger through producer Don Was, who’d worked on every Stones record going back to 1994’s Voodoo Lounge. Watt had only made a few remixes for the Stones by the Hyde Park show, so he was surprised when Jagger floated the idea of making new music by him more seriously later that summer. “My answer was actually, like, ‘Does a bear shit in the woods?'” the producer says.

The next few months quickly became surreal for him. “What’s cool is I made relationships with all these dudes who are, like, my heroes,” Watt says. “And I had the best conversations with Keith ever. He taught me how to play in open-G tuning with five strings. He taught me. It’s so cool. Like, how is that even real for a kid that wants to play guitar? Just watching the masters of their craft doing their thing, it’s like going to college.”

With enthusiasm still resounding in his voice, Watt was eager to give a detailed testimony, complete with his own Polaroids, of how Hackney Diamonds came together, during a two-and-a-half–hour interview. “Obviously,” he exclaims, “it goes without saying that this is the honor of my life.”

When did the idea of producing a Stones album begin to feel like a serious possibility to you?
Mick called me at the end of July [2022]. He basically was like, “I just got off the phone with Ronnie [Wood], and Ronnie told me he just had dinner with Paul McCartney and his wife, and Paul recommended a ‘spright young fellow named Andrew Watt’ to work with.” My jaw is on the floor. That doesn’t sound like a real conversation. And then Mick said, “I told Ronnie, that’s the producer I was thinking of showing you.” How fucking cool is that?
So Mick said, “We are going to New York to start preproduction, recording some of this stuff at Electric Lady towards the end of September. I think you should come by and meet the guys.” I was playing the Ohana Festival with Eddie Vedder. I had to play that show that night and get on a plane immediately to get to New York and be in the studio. So I didn’t sleep that night.

How was it walking into that first session with the band?
To observe that band working through songs, making them better, getting them tighter … I truly didn’t care if I was there just for a couple of hours and left; it still would have been the coolest experience of my life.

Which songs were they working on?
One of the first things I heard was “Angry.” It wasn’t musically there, and, vocally, it wasn’t fully fleshed out. They did a song called “Tell Me Straight,” which was a Keith-led song. That was a whole different experience.
From there, I went out to dinner with Ron and Mick. At one point, I went to the bathroom and when I came back, Ronnie was going, “Tell him, Mick.” And Mick was like, “You’re the producer of the Rolling Stones.” [Laughs.] I was so excited. After that, I started talking with Mick every day.

So once you were officially in, how did it all begin?
In mid-October, I flew to Paris to get with Mick. We listened to everything they recorded at Electric Lady, and we listened to stuff they recorded in Jamaica [earlier in 2022]. We listened to stuff from the past that they recorded with Don. We listened to demos. We listened to over 100 songs, no question. We started picking the things that we liked and talking about things that could change.
After that experience, I flew to New York and did the exact same thing with Keith. It was really important to me to get time alone with Keith and earn his respect before we started this experience. If we could get the best Keith stuff on display, and weave the guitars between Ronnie and Keith, and then get Mick’s vocals on top of that, then this is going to sound like the Stones.
Then I went to L.A., and I listened with Ron again. And we talked about what was important to him and making sure there were some great moments for leads.

At what point did you start talking about guest artists?
In Paris, there was a drum set, and I was playing drums. Mick and I were jamming, and I guess it brought a memory back for him that when he wrote “Miss You,” Billy Preston was on the drums and he was on the guitar. Mick was telling me how great it was for the Stones to have Billy Preston come to the studio. Like, when a guest would arrive, everyone would behave. So I was thinking, “Who could be the Billy Preston of the Stones in 2023?”
Then Mick played me an early version of “Sweet Sounds of Heaven.” He was playing the piano. What’s amazing about that song is that it’s very simple chordally. It’s almost like a classic gospel kind of Stones song in the way of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” or “Shine a Light.”
I have some tattoos on my fingers. One of the people I have tattooed on my finger is Stevie Wonder. When we were talking about “Sweet Sounds of Heaven,” I was thinking, “That feels like a moment for a guest.” I saw my finger and I thought, “Stevie Wonder.” As a fan, how cool would it be for Stevie Wonder to be playing on a Rolling Stones song and not just singing? I asked Mick what he thought, and he instantly got it. So we asked Stevie if he’d want to play, and he said, “Yeah.”

That’s amazing. When did the main sessions for the album begin?
Mick said, “It’s going to be in L.A. in November.” And I’m looking at my calendar and I go, “Oh, fuck. I’ve got Paul McCartney booked during this time.” The Stones wanted to do it for a month straight, from early November into early December. But I don’t think I need to explain to you why you do not cancel on Paul McCartney.
So I call Mick and I’m like, “Listen, I can work, but I have these four or five days booked with Paul right in the middle of this.” And he said, “Oh, yeah, I understand.” So I hung up and said to myself, “I’m going to ask the dumbest question I could ever ask.” I called Mick back and said, “What do you think about me asking if Paul would be into playing bass on a track?” And Mick was like, “Yeah, that sounds great.” So I called Paul and he said, “Yeah, I’d love to play bass with the Stones.”

It sounds like you had it all coming together. How did the sessions go?
Usually, producers set up in the control room. We had 28, 29 songs on the list. I decided I was going to sit in the live room with the band. That way, I could help with the arrangements as we were going. This is a performance-based record; this is live. That’s why it speeds up and slows down and pushes and pulls — the only way the Stones should be.
Being out in the live room really helped me watch the performances and communicate with each musician face to face. I’d be able to go over to Keith or Mick and work through things as we were going.

What song did you begin with?
I kid you not, the first song we recorded on day one in Los Angeles was “Angry.” On the album, you are listening to take two. That’s how quickly these guys were in it. I wanted to keep the pace quick. So if we did 10, 12 takes of a song, we’d keep it going quickly so there’s no room for ripping things apart. I didn’t want to leave room for debate.
When you’re tracking a band live, it’s awesome when everyone’s parts are perfect, like on a song like “Dreamy Skies.” Keith was playing bass on that one and then he overdubbed his electric guitar afterwards, but besides that, it was all on the floor.
After we got the basic tracks, we worked on Keith’s parts. When you listen to this record, I feel like you can pick out Keith Richards or Ron Wood at any time. The “weave” is on display. If you don’t have that, you don’t have the Stones.

How was it working with Ronnie?
The coolest thing about when you watch Ronnie play the guitar is he plays rhythm and lead at the same time. He’ll play chords and then [mimics soloing], and then he goes back to the chord. He plays that way because he came from the Faces, and the Faces had one guitar player. When he would do a guitar solo in the Faces, it would just be bass and drums, so he would have to cover the chords, and that became the style.
The solos are so cool on this record. They’re blistering when they need to be and sparse when they need to be, and he plays Dobro on “Dreamy Skies.” The only person who could do that is Ronnie Wood.

You said Keith was playing bass. Who else was playing bass on the sessions?
Darryl [Jones] was on tour, so everyone was picking up the bass. I got to play bass on a couple of songs, which is the craziest honor of my life. Keith played bass. Ronnie played bass. Paul played bass. There’s a lot of different bass players on this record, one of which is Stevie Wonder on the Moog bass.

Was the band still writing songs while in the studio?
There were so many magical moments, like Keith coming up with the riff for “Whole Wide World.” Mick’s demo was completely different, and Keith started playing this riff, and then Steve started playing along, and it was such a vibe. I was just like, “Mick, start singing your verse,” and he says, “Where’s the verse?” It didn’t make sense to him. So I said, “Just sing that verse over this.” He started singing along, and boom, it went to the chorus, and it was a joy. These guys were having a blast.

Did you work with Mick on the lyrics?
Keith wrote lyrics; Mick wrote lyrics; they wrote some together. There are some songs where I said, “I think you could have a better line here.” And we’d sit for a second and come up with something, or he’d go away and come up with something. Or he’d say, “Nah, it’s better like this.”
On “Whole Wide World,” I felt the story could be more personal. Most people would be like, “Fuck you, this is my story.” He was like, “OK, give me the night. I’ll come back tomorrow.” And now they’re some of my favorite lyrics on the album. He wrote this story about his young days in London and getting arrested and being a kid on the streets. It’s so cool.

What other songs came together during the sessions?
The last song written and finished for the record was “Driving Me Too Hard.” The lyrics weren’t finished. And Keith was like, “Oh, I’m going to go back to my house and get these lyrics done.” And I threw it out: “You guys are both right here. Why don’t you take a couple of hours and write it together? You know the deal, Jagger-Richards.” So I sat with them just as a buffer, playing guitar, and those guys just bounced back and forth making each other crack up laughing, and they wrote these lyrics sitting next to each other, truly together.
Mick sang it 30 minutes after that, and Keith did the backgrounds. It was so special to watch — like, folklore-level Jagger-Richards.

A few of these songs have Jagger-Richards-Watt songwriting credits, which seems unusual. How did that happen?
It’s the honor of my life. It was just natural, man, nothing preconceived. Those guys are just super generous, and we wrote together. There was a day where Mick and Keith came to the studio and we all started playing this riff; and Keith started playing these changes, and that’s how “Depending on You” came. It was a natural thing. That’s why [the credit is] on some of those songs but not others.

How did the session with Stevie Wonder and Lady Gaga come together?
Stevie was late. I was like, “I’ve got the Rolling Stones here sitting around waiting.” I called his right hand, and she says, “Stevie’s on the way. He just stopped to vote. It’s a very important thing.” When I came in and told the guys, everyone was laughing. It was a great icebreaker.
So Stevie comes and we’re getting into it. I’m calling the chords and showing him the sections. And he calls out in the middle of it, “Andrew, you got a bass?” I picked up the bass, and he goes, “This is the bass line.” And he starts singing it. I had to figure it out, and it became a theme that the guitars played, and he played it on the Moog. It was this big climactic thing. To make a gospel rock song with Moog bass, that’s tricky.
So while we’re doing takes with Stevie, we go back into the control room and there’s a knock at the door. An assistant comes in and goes, “Lady Gaga would like to say hi to Mick.” I guess Mick heard she was in the studio and said to say hi. Everyone is happy to see her. She knows all the Stones well. I introduced her to Stevie. And suddenly she’s in the room with all of us. I don’t know what she was expecting, but she wasn’t expecting that.
Mick told her, “Come out to the live room.” So she sits down on the floor. We get her a pair of headphones. There’s a microphone. And without speaking about it, she just joined our jam that day. She wasn’t trying to; it was just this natural thing. She only ever heard the song one time before and was ready to join. That’s how much of a badass she is.

Then you took a break for a couple of days for your session with Paul McCartney before he recorded with the band. How did the band pick “Bite My Head Off” for him?
It would be expected to have him play on a great big ballad like “Depending on You,” or one of the softer songs to get that “melodic Paul McCartney” thing. But you’ve got to also understand, Paul McCartney loves to fucking rock. So I thought, “Why not pick the most punk-rock fucking song — the one where everyone’s on 10 the whole time — and let these guys have the time of their lives rocking out together?”

Paul really digs into it during his solo, too. How did he get that sound?
I had just gotten Paul a ’64 Hoffner, a lefty one, as a present. He was like, “Why are you giving me this bass? I obviously have my famous one from the Beatles. I don’t need another.” I said, “Just touch that switch right there.” My guitar tech, Mark, put in a Univox Super Fuzz circuit into the bass, so when he hit one of the Hoffner switches it gives the loudest, most wicked fuzz bass you ever heard in your life. So he was crying laughing. He had that as his secret weapon.
So Paul comes in, learns the song, everyone’s playing around a little bit, we start going for takes, Paul stands up. All of a sudden, Ron stands up, Keith stands up, Mick drags a mic into the fucking center of the room, and I swear to God, the roof left the fucking building. I can’t explain what that feels like, but it was the Stones and the Beatles. It wasn’t heavy for them; it was a fucking blast. And the smile on Paul’s face kept getting bigger and bigger. We did three or four takes of that. And Paul hit the switch during his bass solo, and Mick literally goes, “Come on, Paul, let’s hear something” in his Liverpool accent. Like, you can’t make it up. Everyone was on fire. We did another tune because we were having so much fun.

Just how much fun did Paul have?
When I was walking Paul out, he literally was like, “I just played fucking bass with the Stones — and I’m a fucking Beatle.” He literally said those words. These guys were literally like they were 18 again, and you can hear it in the recording. It’s ferocious.

Speaking of people the Stones have known since the Sixties, when did Bill Wyman play on “Live by the Sword”?
We moved to London for the Christmas season. And that’s when we had Bill Wyman come in and play bass. I was like, “Why don’t we get Bill to play?” Mick was like, “Let’s see what Keith thinks and see if that’s a good idea.” And Keith thought it was a good idea. Mick sent Bill an email, and he said he would love to. We got him to play bass on one of the songs with Charlie [that the band recorded around 2019], which was fabulous.

What did Bill say about the session?
He’s 86 years old. He wanted to make sure he was getting it right. I’d sent him the song before so he could familiarize himself with it. We soloed up Charlie, and he started playing along, and as he was doing it, he started having so much fun. He was smiling and laughing, and stories came back to him with Charlie. And I remember him saying, “Now it’s swinging, now it’s swinging.” And I can just imagine that that was something he had said to Charlie in the past. That’s such a rhythm-section thing.

Elton John also played piano on “Live by the Sword.” Mick told me he didn’t think Elton would want to do it since he wouldn’t be singing.
When we were doing “Live by the Sword,” we were talking about getting a honky-tonk, almost Jerry Lee Lewis/Nicky Hopkins piano part for that. I thought, “Why not get Elton?” Number one, he’s fucking Elton John. Number two, nobody in the world plays that style better than Elton. Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard are his gods. He’s a student of that piano playing.
It was so great watching Mick bounce off him and call for things. And Elton was like a session musician that day. He was playing an upright piano, not a grand, so he got that sound, and he just ripped through it and played off the guitars so beautifully. The way Elton was playing, it almost got this T. Rex-y kind of thing. It was great seeing him say, “Mick, what did you think of that?” And Mick saying, “Could you play a little more melodic in the bridge? How about a line here?” It was great to watch those guys collaborating.

So Mick was wrong: It was special to Elton.
Elton loves to play. He started as a session musician. Just like Paul was so excited, Elton was like, “I just fucking played with the Rolling Stones.” Everyone had a smile on their face.

How was it working with Mick on vocals?
We did a lot of vocals in London and then we went to the Bahamas and kind of finished up the album there. I’ve never seen anybody push themselves to the level that this guy pushed himself to in the studio. He never left a vocal without a full deep sweat, putting every single thing he had into it every time. That’s when the song comes alive: when you get the vocal.

There’s a sense of abandon in the way he sings, like he’s losing himself in the vocals.
He is. And what’s so fucking cool is sometimes he’d do a take and he’d be like, “I’m singing too good. I need to do that again and throw that away more.” Like, what do you mean? “Throw it away more, give it more feeling.” And he’d do the most effortless shit you ever heard in your life, and it’s so much better and so much catchier, even though it wasn’t even a note. You could imitate the shape of his mouth with your ears when you’re listening. He goes in and just nails it.

Mick told me he’d work out some of the vocals with Steve Jordan, just the two of them, vocals and drums.
Mick is very tempo focused. He likes things to be quick and be uptempo, but also certain things can’t be too quick because he can’t get the vocal out. I remember they worked out “Get Close.” I took a Polaroid while they were doing it. Steve was playing the drum beat and Mick was trying the vocals, just to make sure Mick felt there was a pocket he could sing in properly.
By the way, do you hear the drums on this fucking album?

Yeah. Steve Jordan sounds fantastic.
Steve Jordan did not play one hi-hat and snare at the same time ever. He honored Charlie like you can’t believe and put his own swag into it in a way that only he could. I think about how hard Steve hits, and the guitars have to be stronger. The band sounds strong because they have to be right up with Steve.
Steve set his cymbals all the way on the right, behind him, because Charlie had set up that way to get the cymbals out of the way so he could see Keith. And that’s a hard way to play; it’s like he was making it harder for himself. And he didn’t care because he wanted to honor Charlie and have an eyeline on Keith.

One of the coolest moments on the album, “Rolling Stone Blues,” is just Mick and Keith. Whose idea was that?
I was sitting with Keith while we’re doing overdubs, and he’s playing a little bit with his acoustic while he’s talking to me. So I asked him, “How did you and Mick meet?” He told me the story [about meeting Mick at Dartford Station]. When they got their first gig, Keith was on the phone, and the promoter said, “What do you call yourselves?” And he saw The Best of Muddy Waters face down, and track five is a song called ‘Rollin’ Stone.’ So he just said, ‘The Rollin’ Stones.'”
I asked, “Have you guys ever played that song?” I’m thinking, “Oh, fuck, you’ve asked the dumbest question. He’s gonna say, ‘Obviously, yes.'” And he said, “Actually, no. We’ve never played it.” And my heart sinks to my chest. I’m like, “Would you play it? You named the band after it.” He said, “I would love to play it. I know it backwards and forwards. Would Mick do it?” I’m like, “Let me call him.”

How did the session end up going?
We set it up with one microphone in the middle of the two of them. On each take, they move closer and closer together. And even on the recording that we chose — which I believe is take four — the timing is wobbly and cool. By the end of the song, they’re somehow literally playing the same licks at the same exact time. If you listen to the final 30 seconds of the song, they’re literally playing the same inversion in the harp and the guitar, the same notes, the same rhythms — they become one another.
That, to me, encapsulates that these two guys fucking need each other. They complete each other. It’s their relationship of love. All the blemishes are there. And that’s what you hear: take four.

You mentioned that the sessions had 28 or 29 songs. Is there a plan to do another album?
There’s a lot of material. It took 18 years to make the last one. So that will leave them at age 98 when they finish the next one [laughs]. Listen, it’s like Batman. If they put up the tongue in the air, I know where to show up and I will be there. Are you kidding me? My vote is for them to finish it. As a fan, they should finish it. It takes a lot to get everyone together, so hopefully it happens. And if not, I’m so proud of this one.

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1499 - Oct 30th, 2023 at 6:24am
Read that interview yesterday and it was quite interesting...I think it's great that Andy Watt took the time to separately talk to the three of them and tried to understand what would be important to them in making a new album, maybe one reason why it turned out that amazing...

What kind of surprised me, however, was when Keith said he wants to go home and finish the lyrics for Driving Me Too Hard after always complaining that he wants to be in the same room with Mick and work on songs, so why didn't they get the idea themselves and Andy literally had to push them to their luck?

Plus I love to read about what a hardcore fanboy he is, makes me smile, he literally is one of us and I think that is another reason why not even the always-moaning people over on IORR are complaining about the record, he produced an album that true fans love cause he is a true fan himself
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2023 at 6:30am by ronnie-woody »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)