Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
New bootleg available - Fully Finished Outtakes (Read 35,856 times)
Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: New bootleg available - Fully Finished Outtakes
Reply #75 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 4:44pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
     Finished Outtakes Volume 1 -- Album Review

This is a preliminary review, because the album is only 
beginning to sink in...

After the second listening, I deleted "nobody's perfect" from
Volume 1 and put it in a miscellaneous folder. It seems like
a pretty good Jagger song but it doesn't fit in with the other
14 tracks. Given the album title, ironically, its just too
finished, too polished...

The other 14 tracks blend well, without total individuation
for me at this point, and i mean that in a good way. Like a fun
party where you haven't been introduced to everybody yet.

In other words, I'm hearing it almost like a concept album.
Secure and masculine. Sure, it would clean up good for
polite company, but why bother? With everything else so
go-pro these days, this informal and intimate mode is a
sound for sore ears. Yeah, if in this batch of tunes there
was a "start me up" or "brown sugar", i'd want to hear how
the Stones would perfect it. But since there isn't, fuck it,
its cool the way it is. Why put in all the extra effort for
no real gain. Why put on airs.

So i think the name "fully finished outtakes" means we're
hearing these tracks at the point when the Stones were
finished with them emotionally. They could've pushed on,
polishing them up, because that's what you're supposed to do.
But honestly there wouldn't have been any profit in it,
artistically or commercially...

(The exception of course is "lowdown" which was gussied up
for "babylon", and it sort of illustrates my point. There
was a commercial reason in 1997 to push on (to complete
an album that was the theme of a big tour) so they did, and
they did get an improved result, but if the market wasn't
compelling them, and in the end all we had now was keith's
outtake version, we wouldn't be missing a whole hell of a lot)

Bottom line: The Stones have let me into the studio with them!
So "Volume 1" is now my favorite album. At this moment in history,
it fits me like a glove. For how long, we'll see. I mean,
i very much like "flowers", "satanic", "goat's head", "iorr",
and "steel wheels", but those 5 never even spent one day as
my favorite album... 

Let me tell ya something. In 2021, at my age, not to mention the age
of the Stones, a new favorite album is quite the blessing, no matter
how flawed somebody else might think it is. nobody's perfect.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2021 at 4:51pm by Rev 20 Redlights »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #76 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 6:20pm
Listening to this stuff a lot over the last few days and reading a lot of the comments on various sites and social media pages by people with a decent musical ear, we can narrow down these recordings as follows. Note - this is not necessarily definitive. In maybe about 20-30% of the cases, its educated guesswork 

A special nod to Nico Zentgraf's always excellent Complete Works website  - www.nzentgraf.de - and it's corresponding facebook page.

Note : in a lot of these cases, overdubs may have been done some considerable time afterwards

She's Doing Her Thing - 'Satanic Majesties' sessions, Olympic Studios, London, October 1967

Blood Red Wine - 'Beggars Banquet' sessions, Olympic Studios, London, May 1968

Curtis Meets Smokey - 'Let It Bleed' sessions, Olympic Studios, London 23 April 1969. The same date as the 'Jamming with Edward' session, so the line up is probably Mick, Bill, Nicky, Charlie and Ry Cooder.

Walk With Me Wendy - 'Sticky Fingers' sessions, Olympic Studios, London, June-July 1970.

Tell Her How It Is - 'Sticky Fingers/Exile' sessions, Rolling Stones Mobile, Stargroves/Olympic Studios, London, October 1970.  Overdubs in New York/LA or London, Autumn 2009. This is the much bootlegged instrumental 'Potted Shrimp' with a latter day vocal. Presumably an outtake from the 2010 'Exile' reissue.

Criss Cross - 'Goats Head Soup' sessions, Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston December 1972 and Island Studios, London, May-June 1973.

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll sessions, The Wick, Richmond, Dec 4-6, 1973. Original demo, featuring Mick, Ronnie, Kenney Jones & David Bowie.

Too Many Cooks - Mick Jagger solo project, Record Plant, Los Angeles, December 1973

Fast Talking, Slow Walking ; Living In The Heart Of Love - 'Its Only Rock 'n' Roll' sessions, Musicland Studios, Munich, Feb-Mar 1974

Scarlet - 'Black and Blue' (or unspecified) sessions, The Wick, Richmond, October 1974. Other recordings possibly at another date. Not a full Stones session.

Built That Way - 'Black and Blue' sessions, Rolling Stones Mobile, Rotterdam, Jan-Feb 1975.

Covered In Bruises ; Everytime I Break Her Heart ; Fiji Jim ; Never Make You Cry ; You Win Again - 'Some Girls' sessions, Pathe-Marconi Studios, Paris, October - December 1977

Not The Way To Go - 'Emotional Rescue' sessions, RCA Studios, Hollywood, September 1978

Trouble's A-Comin' - 'Emotional Rescue' sessions, Compass Point Studios, Nassau, January-February 1979

It's a Lie - 'Emotional Rescue' sessions, Pathe Marconi Studios, Paris June-July / Sep-Oct 1979

Can't Find Love ; Cooking Up ; Eliza Upchink ; I Tried To Talk Her Into It ; I've Got Dreams To Remember ; Keep It Cool ; Part Of The Night ; Still In Love With You ; (You Better) Stop That - 'Undercover' sessions, Pathe-Marconi Studios, Paris, November - December 1982.

Big Truff - 'Undercover' sessions, Compass Point Studios, Nassau / Hit Factory, New York - May 1983. (Song is listed here as 'Dog Shit' which was the working title before vocals were added. The music may have been recorded at the previous session in Paris)

I Can't See NoOne Else ; Putty In Your Hands - 'Dirty Work' sessions, Pathe-Marconi Studios, Paris, April-June 1985

Deep Love ; Strictly Memphis - 'Dirty Work' sessions, RPM Studios, New York July - August 1985

Giving It Up - AIR Studios, Montserrat, March - May 1989

Hands Off ; Ivy League - 'Voodoo Lounge' sessions, Windmill Lane Studios, Dublin, November - December 1993

20 Nil ; Desperate Man ; Dream About Flip The Switch ; Lowdown ; Might As Well Get Juiced ; Prairie Love ; Sanctuary ; Too Tight - 'Bridges To Babylon' sessions, Ocean Way Studios, Los Angeles, March - June 1997

Extreme Western Grip ; Well, Well - '40 Licks' sessions, Studio Guillaume Tell, Suresnes, Paris, May-June 2002.

The following two songs are a bit more contentious

Don't Lie To Me - some speculation its a Jagger solo rehearsal from LA in October 1987. More likely than not recorded as a warm up during the 'Dirty Work' sessions in Paris, April 1985

Nobody's Perfect - some reckon it's another 'Dirty Work' outtake from New York, July-August 1985. Personally, I think it's not the Stones but a Mick Jagger solo recording, possibly the 'Primitive Cool' sessions at Wisseloord Studios, Hilversum, Netherlands, November - December 1986.

The two '40 Licks' songs were previously released on the 'Four Flicks' DVD. 'Blood Red Wine' has been available on bootlegs for over 40 years. I'm open to correction, but whilst a few of the other songs have either been released officially or circulated unofficially before, all of the versions here are new to circulation.

Songs are probably all Jagger-Richards, with the following exceptions :

'IORR' is officially Jagger-Richards of course, but as can be seen here, it's really a Jagger-Wood composition.  Both of them wrote this song and 'I Can Feel The Fire' together. Mick left his writing credit off the latter song which appears on Ronnie's debut solo album (although Mick sings on it) and Ronnie left his credit off the song that became the title track of the next Rolling Stones album.  Not the wisest business move of his career.

'Covered in Bruises' is probably Jagger-Wood, but was rewritten and re-titled '1234' and became the title track of Ronnie's 1981 solo album, released in the same week as 'Tattoo You'. The released version is solely credited to Ronnie :

'Putty In Your Hands' was written by Big John Patton and released by The Shirelles on their 1962 LP 'Baby It's You'

'I've Got Dreams To Remember' was written by Otis Redding, Zelma Redding and Joe Rock. It was recorded by Otis Redding in November/December 1967 and was one of the last songs he cut before he was killed on December 10 of that year. It was released on 'The Immortal Otis Redding' in June 1968.

In the Stones' version, Mick sings some different lyrics in the verses

'Too Many Cooks' - I've seen this song as being credited to Willie Dixon, but it wasn't. His version is on youtube and while there a few similar lines, its a different song. It  was written by Angelo Bond/Ronald Dunbar/Edith Wayne. (Angelo Bond was a '70s soul singer who scored a Top 40 R&B hit in 1975 with "Reach for the Moon (Poor People). Ronald Dunbar was an American songwriter, A&R director and record producer who worked closely with Holland–Dozier–Holland, and with George Clinton. His co-writing credits include the hit songs "Give Me Just a Little More Time", "Band of Gold", and "Patches", for which he won a Grammy. He worked with songwriters and record producers Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, and Eddie Holland, in an uncredited capacity, until they left Motown over a financial dispute in 1968. Dunbar remained with the three when they set up Holland–Dozier–Holland Productions Inc., and the Invictus and Hot Wax labels, where he became A&R director. Dunbar began to be credited as a songwriter in his own right, as half of a writing partnership with "Edith (or Edyth) Wayne". The latter is now acknowledged to have been a pseudonym used by Holland, Dozier and Holland, who were unable to use their own names because they were legally contracted to Jobete, Motown's song publishing arm).

The earliest version I know of (its probably the original) was recorded in 1971, two years before Mick's cover and is by Detroit R&B band 8th Day on their self titled debut album

'Don't Lie To Me' was written by Hudson Whittaker (aka Tampa Red) in 1940 as 'Don't You Lie To Me'  and covered by other artists such as Fats Domino.

The original :

The Stones' probably heard it when Chuck Berry covered it on his 1961 album 'New Juke Box Hits'

The Stones'  studio version is from Chess Studios in Chicago on 10-11 June 1964. It was eventually released on 'Metamorphosis' in June 1975.

They first recorded it for the BBC Radio show 'Saturday Club' on 3rd Feb 1964.

The song was performed once - in Fort Worth on 24th June 1972.  There's also a circulating version from a mid-tour rehearsal the day before.

CORRECTIONS WELCOME!
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2021 at 2:41pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #77 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 6:29pm
WOW

Tnanks master Gazzafucius  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #78 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 6:31pm
Other people did the Dirty Work. I just collate it!

(I forgot that 'Too Many Cooks' was a cover, so I added the details for that one)
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2021 at 2:43pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #79 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 6:47pm
That's too much, it took you time, now we all have this great summary

Tbanks again

Historically, to me the most relevant and one I was waiting so long it's IORR at the Wick

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #80 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 7:42pm
Yes that was a bit of a holy grail one for me as well.  I was actually pleasantly surprised how 'finished' it was. I expected something much rougher. Then again, Woody is on guitars, bass and vocals so what we're hearing obviously had quite a bit of work done on it before Keith got anywhere near it. I did expect Bowie to be more prominent on it, however.  Seems a bit strange to have a voice like that in your studio and then tell him to add a few handclaps and a few barely audible backing vocals. As I said elsewhere, its akin to having Hendrix at a session and asking him to play the triangle.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #81 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 4:34am
the swedish seller is getting more

says you can buy now but not pay until he has them ready to ship

free international shippng

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373477685429

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #82 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 9:42am
Great work- keep this up and we will be quoted.

IP Logged

chevysales
Rocks Off Regular

new forum left old forum
info behind? a newbie?

East Coast
Reply #83 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 11:06am
is the Flac or the 320mp3 sourced from the original VBR mp3 posted at IORR?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #84 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 1:57pm
I'm unaware of any the versions so far being lossless. They're all sourced from mp3 source.

Maybe once someone gets the factory pressed discs they'll be able to check if they're lossless.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #85 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 4:48pm

comic book from 1975. didnt realize the bowie connection was known so soon. just read
a 1974 keith interview about the song, and he definitely didnt mention bowie. or ronnie.

also i've always heard that ronnie wrote it with mick. but i just read a ronnie quote:
"mick came to me 'i wrote this song, help me out with it, so i can hear how it sounds'"
apparently mick had the whole thing already?

i don't hear bowie either, but i definitely hear another voice besides mick and ronnie,
high-pitched, so i guess thats bowie doing a background-singer voice?

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2021 at 4:53pm by Rev 20 Redlights »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #86 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 5:01pm
WOW, tomorrow's header!!! Thanks Rev!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #87 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 5:07pm
I havent seen that magazine cover in a long time. I recall seeing it in a Stones book in the early 80's. Great cartoon.

Yes, its Bowie Ok. Keith's memory is a bit off as he also says in one interview they dubbed over Kenney Jones - which (as Charlie confirms) wasn't the case.

Some more info from http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOIt%27sOnlyRock.html

Mick (Jagger) and I worked out I Can Feel the Fire and after we'd done that, he said, Help me with this song 'cause I wanna see how it turns out. So, say on a Tuesday evening: two guitars - Mick and I - and Mick singing lead vocal and David Bowie and myself on backup vocals. Then I overdubbed the rest of the instruments last and it sounded like a good demo. So the next night, we wanted to put it in a more presentable shape so we got hold of Kenny Jones who plays the drums on the actual record. Ah... I ended up with just my acoustic guitar that I laid originally. Keith replaced - RIGHTLY SO - the guitars that I'd done electrically.

- Ron Wood, 1982

The idea of the song has to do with our persona at the time. I was getting a bit tired of people having a go, all that oh, it's not as good as their last one business. The single-sleeve had a picture of me with a pen digging into me as if it were a sword. It was a light-hearted, anti-journalistic sort of thing. We originally recorded it in Ronnie Wood's demo-studio.

- Mick Jagger, 1993

I didn't do that, that was done - I was in bed at the time of that... And that was done - Kenny played that, Kenny Jones, they pulled HIM out' cause he lived near to Richmond. It was done in a very beautiful house in Richmond that Ronnie used to own. Pete Townshend owns it now, there's a bit of name-dropping isn't it, you'll like that.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

We cut it but it just didn't have that one-off feel. So eventually we went back to the dub and overdubbed (laughs) on David and on Kenny and... did another one of those because it just had the right...

- Keith Richards, 2003

I said, But you forgot one thing, Keith, you forgot my twelve-string. And he said, (grunts) I left that on.

- Ron Wood, 2003

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #88 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 6:16pm
Interesting that Keith says that there was the Stones did re-record the song as a band, but ended up not using it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #89 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 6:51pm

... ... ...
IP Logged

exile
Rocks Off Regular

Australia
Reply #90 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:20am
I like the song

I CAN’T SEE NO ONE ELSE, 1985

it says 1985 what do you guys think by the sound of it?

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:21am by exile »  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #91 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 6:57am
exile wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:20am:
I like the song

I do like this song. It sounds like it may have evolved into something else released later on though, "One Hit"...maybe, I can't quite put my finger on it.
I also get a bit of a "All Along The watchtower" feel from it at times.
Put me down for a "Thumbs Up", either way.

I am a big fan of "Can't Find Love", can't believe its from the Undercover sessions, considering that was full of violent imagery and such. This could have bee a perfect last song for a complete 180 turn on the groove.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2021 at 7:02am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Nora
Rocks Off Regular

alkmaar Holland
Reply #92 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 8:12am
Like nearly all the songs , except for Nobody's perfect,Covered in Bruises, .

remains the big question:: when will we get our hands on Volume 4-5-6, and volume 7-8-9-.???

The Stones are on their trail, apparently.

Jeroen

IP Logged

3ddie
Rocks Off Regular

I got nasty habits: I
take tea at three

Germany, Europe
Reply #93 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 9:02am
Excuse as this is not the right thread but I could not find a thread for requests or searches. Is there any?
Can anybody help me with EMOTIONAL RESCUE SESSIONS REVISITED? https://dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=2704&fbclid=IwAR3E...
I know it's on iorr, but that filefactory-download would last four or five hours.... 
Ouch!

www.facebook.com/ede.wolf1  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #94 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 9:55am
I wish the songs were presented in chronological order by year/period...the all over the place placement of the songs sorta throws me off at times.
But...I AM NOT COMPLAING

I like Putty In Your Hands...listed as 1962 above , with the correction listed as 1985...Maybe this was the alternate to Bob & Earl's Harlem Shuffle as the "tribute song".

Original:

ADDENDUM:

OKAY...I will stop posting now...I finally got to read thru all the previous posts and it seems all of my comments are basically regurgitated from Gazza's comments and notes, SMH.

Drunken mind thunk alike, I guess.

I really cant believe there's 6 more volumes of stuff like this down the pike. I hope this "leak" doesn't put off or delay those releases.

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2021 at 11:48am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #95 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:29pm
One of the biggest revelations for me in listening to these is how much I miss this guy:  Don't suck my cock

IP Logged

3ddie
Rocks Off Regular

I got nasty habits: I
take tea at three

Germany, Europe
Reply #96 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:30pm
The Wick wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:29pm:
One of the biggest revelations for me in listening to these is how much I miss this guy:  Don't suck my cock

Word!

www.facebook.com/ede.wolf1  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #97 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:56pm
exile wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 12:20am:
I like the song

Definitely from 1985. It's also known as '(I Can't See No One Else) Beside You'

There's been a very embryonic version of it (the verses anyway) of Mick & Keith fleshing it out in a rehearsal tape from January/February of that year in circulation for a very long time.  Its on bootlegs such as 'Glimmer Twins Private Tapes' and 'Hamnbird Disaster'

A seven minute version of it featuring the band circulated about 5-6 years ago.  The newly circulated version is two minutes shorter and a lot more developed.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #98 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 5:26pm
So...giving disk 1 a good listening to as I am grilling dinner for the family...absolutely jaw dropping at times...how has all, most of this been kept so tightly sealed away??

It sounds amazing loud and outside with the beers flowing...

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #99 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 5:09pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 5:26pm:
So...giving disk 1 a good listening

It sounds amazing loud and outside with the beers flowing...

Agreed !  You got the right idea.  This release is not for Stones History class. Its for right now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)