Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
New bootleg available - Fully Finished Outtakes (Read 35,832 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: New bootleg available - Fully Finished Outtakes (update - lossless version now available)
Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 5:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This one deserves a post of it's own.

Finally, the original and much discussed demo of 'Its Only Rock 'n' Roll' from The Wick in early December 1973

Mick Jagger - guitar & Vocals. Ron Wood - guitar, bass & vocals. Kenny Jones - drums & David Bowie - handclaps & vocals.

Bowie's a bit hard to hear - Woody though is all over it. It's almost a duet!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: New bootleg available - Fully Finished Outtakes (update - lossless version now available)
Reply #26 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 5:44pm
'Nobody's Perfect'. This one is a bit of a mystery. Sounds more like a Mick Jagger solo track than a Stones' recording. Its listed as mid-80's, but sounds more recent to me. Some people reckon it could be from the 'Alfie' sessions (2004). Good song. Definitely worthy of an official release.

'Too Many Cooks'. Mick's riproaring cover of this soul number co-written by Holland-Dozier-Holland (under a pseudonym) was recorded in LA in 1973. Produced by John Lennon, it featured an all star line up which included Al Kooper, Jesse Ed Davis, Bobby Keys and others. Two versions of this have previously circulated. A long bootlegged version which runs for around 3:41 and the version officially released on 'The Very Best Of Mick Jagger; which clocks in at 4:04.  This clocks in at 4:58.

'Walk With Me Wendy' . This one is listed as 1974, which if accurate means its from IORR or Black and Blue sessions. Whilst the hook is well developed, its clearly a long way from finished with Mick yelling a guide vocal over the whole song

'Trouble's a Coming'. I've always thought that 'Emotional Rescue' was a record that got away from the Stones and had the potential, based on the outtakes, to end up being mentioned in the same breath as the albums that preceded and followed it. This is another previously unheard of outtake that with a bit of TLC could have ended up being pretty special.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 6:14pm
'Not The Way To Go'. There are multiple versions of this song from RCA Studios in Hollywood (Aug-Sep '78) in circulation. This, however is a shorter version which is more developed than the others with Mick's vocal higher in the mix

'Don't Lie To Me'. Chuck Berry cover recorded by the Stones and released on 'Metamorphosis' in 1975. The Stones played it once in 1972 but this version seems to come from much later, in fact I'm not convinced its a band recording as opposed to a Jagger solo performance.

'It's a Lie'. This was the 'Some Girls' outtake I was really hoping they'd polish up for the Deluxe reissue in 2011 but it wasn't to be.  There are two circulating versions of this song on bootlegs - one runs for about 5:20 with the other usually running around 4:36 or so. This is a bit shorter but I'm not convinced its a different take. But its nice to hear it again especially for Sugar Blue's harp playing 

'You Win Again'. The Hank Williams classic, which the Stones released (with a new vocal) on the 'Some Girls' reissue in 2011.  I think this is probably the same as the version that's been bootlegged for many years.

'Fiji Jim' Again, I think this is the same 'Some Girls' outtake thats been much bootlegged. This song was one of a few old outtakes that Mick reworked in 1994 for b-sides (the version of 'So Young' that they released comes from that session) which makes me think that a lot of these songs were gathered together with a view to some latter day overdubs being added to them. This is an original 1977-78 recording though.

... ... ...
IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the shout out and heads up, Gazza  Smiley

Heck, that's a boatload of songs to digest.
first time a lock down comes in handy

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 7:04pm
'Deep Love'. This 'Dirty Work' outtake has circulated since about 1987, but with Keith on vocal. This one features Mick.

'I Can't See No One Else'. Another Dirty Work outtake, although this one seems a long way from being complete.

'Strictly Memphis' Mick & Bobby Womack duetting on this 'Dirty Work' outtake, cut in New York in summer 1985. Whilst I think this is the same take that's been around for over 30 years, they've added horns to it here

'Hands Off'. Going by Mick's 'barking' vocal style, this sounds like it could be 'Dirty Work' era.

'Blood Red Wine'. I dont think this is anything new. 'Beggars Banquet' outtake from Olympic Studios in 1968.

'Covered in Bruises' Supposedly the early version of '1234', the title track of Ronnie's 1981 album, this one is probably from the Some Girls era, with Woody and Mick tearing up the lead vocal.

'Can't Find Love'. Another track seemingly from the 'Undercover' sessions. They went for a very hard hitting album of often violent songs in the end, but it's clear there were quite a few songs cut for this album that had a more tender feel. This is another.

'I Tried To Talk Her Into It'. Listed as an 'Undercover' outtake, this first circulated in the 'Art Collins Tapes' a couple of years ago.  This version is a minute longer. Reminds me of 'Claudine' somewhat.

'Giving It Up'. A Steel Wheels outtake from 1989. There's a version in circulation that's over a minute longer, so this is new. Still unfinished.

'Dream About' . This one doesn't sound very Stones-like to me. I think its maybe a Mick solo piece. Maybe 'Goddess in the Doorway' era?

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2021 at 10:31am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 7:14pm
By my reckoning, Niels has uploaded 46 of the 50 tracks to youtube. An incredible gesture which deserves a huge thanks.

The only ones missing are the two studio jams ('Well Well' and 'Extreme Western Grip' , both of which were released on 'Four Flicks') plus 'Criss Cross' and 'Scarlet' which were later reworked for 'Goats Head Soup 2020'. Its possible he doesnt want to risk any copyright issues, which is reasonable enough !

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #31 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 7:22pm
open-g wrote on Mar 4th, 2021 at 6:36pm:
Thanks for the shout out and heads up, Gazza  Smiley

Heck, that's a boatload of songs to digest.
first time a lock down comes in handy

You're welcome, but Voodoo sent the group e-mail.  I'm not that efficient. Wink

... ... ...
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #32 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 8:34pm
I've been walking Battersea Park
Singing until the larks
But people think I'm lazy

've been walking some Massachusetts Beach
Working on a peach
But people think I'm lazy

Etc. etc,

Is it possible that this is a compo tape (by Donald Was? Matt Clifford? Mike & Teeth? for Universal?) of old tunes worked on in the last two or few years. And even weeks?

Was 'Part Of The Night' or 'Can't Find Love' what Keith was working on (with Don Wasp) in the recent photos?.

And there's that lovely track - whichever one it is - with Jogger and then both G Twins crooning on..Major trousers...

As they say in West Yorkshire - "There's a fair welter of lovely cracker-barrels here, mother. But only 50 so far?"

Better elation than never.

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2021 at 8:35pm by WaiteringOnAFiend »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #33 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 9:31pm
Yowza.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #34 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 9:41pm
In the Middle Of the Ocean is basically Everything is Turning to Gold. Might as Well Get Juiced is infinitely better than the album version. Just so much great stuff they have that's unreleased and never developed. I have never understood why they don't just work on what they already have and put out albums of stuff already written but not quite in album shape.

IP Logged

novica
Rocks Off Regular

Krusevac,Serbia
Reply #35 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 1:48am
Gazza, thank you !
this is incredible !
out of the blue....

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #36 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 5:38am
Nice! thanks for sharing!

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

3ddie
Rocks Off Regular

I got nasty habits: I
take tea at three

Germany, Europe
Reply #37 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 6:45am
Aboslutely awesome, best things happen when you least expect it. Thank you very much.  Perverted Mick

www.facebook.com/ede.wolf1  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #38 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 7:27am
Why is this being released suddenly, now? What's going on??

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 8:01am
Some Guy wrote on Mar 5th, 2021 at 7:27am:

Perhaps the answer died with Mr Gaye...

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 8:06am
This is a stunning release in every sense. Thanks to all involved in sharing. Remember how excited we were when Ghost Town came out? Lol...can't wait for the real story behind this amazing boot comes out.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Moonisup
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #41 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:03am
Great boot, listened to the mp3 already, cds came today.

Really great find! And 2 more sets to come.. although I am still waiting for closer then close part II haha.

Wel;l, I hope someone likes it to correct all the dates of the songs. Some are Mick solo demo's (like Dreams to remember), and some VL stuff,

All in all, some great, great songs, song ideas!

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #42 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:20am
Thanking Gazza again, this time for his helpful notes on every track

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #43 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:27am
Gazza brought his A game with little warning. Dude wakes up ready for Stones...
Best thread ever!
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:29am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #44 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:43am
Trey Krimsin wrote on Mar 3rd, 2021 at 6:02pm:
Some Guy wrote on Mar 3rd, 2021 at 5:55pm:
Is Still a Fool on it?

I don't think so. Going over the track listing again and I didn't see that title nor did I see Two Train Blues.

I'm glad I saw the Facebook post about this. I just downloaded the set and I'm digging the tunes. Thank you, Gazza!

I guess I actually meant Still in Love and damn it it's there!! Always wanted to hear this one. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:45am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 10:26am
Rev 20 Redlights wrote on Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:20am:
Thanking Gazza again, this time for his helpful notes on every track

You''re welcome. Guesswork for the most part, although I;m noting some of the comments on other sites and social media from people who (unlike me) have a well trained musical ear and who can tell the era and musicians by the drum sound or type of guitar being played.

The credits are a mess. I think a lot of these tracks have been gathered together and in some cases worked on years after they were originally recorded probably with a view to putting them on some kind of archives project that was either shelved or which still may happen.

Some Guy wrote on Mar 5th, 2021 at 7:27am:

Presumably one of the two ways that studio recordings usually get bootlegged.  They were either leaked or stolen.

There are supposedly two more volumes of this stuff in the pipeline (I have absolutely no idea what will be on them).
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2021 at 10:32am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #46 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 2:51pm
Thanks Gazza. 2 favorites already after one time listening: Dreams to Remember and Eliza Upchink. Great tracks.

IP Logged

3ddie
Rocks Off Regular

I got nasty habits: I
take tea at three

Germany, Europe
Reply #47 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 3:24pm
Just listening... Dreams To Remember (Otis Redding) - it's not the Stones. It's Mick and probably Ronnie but it's neither Charlie nor Bill nor Keef. Don't Lie To Me the same.
But, yeah, I love Otis Redding, and this rendition is lotsa fun. Well done, Mick.

While listening further, it seems to me that those songes tagged 1982 or 1983 are Mick's solo-efforts. But great stuff.

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2021 at 3:35pm by 3ddie »  
www.facebook.com/ede.wolf1  
IP Logged

Stones Blah
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #48 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 8:18am
Dreams to Remember. If you can't tell that is Keith on guitar on the right channel I don't know what to say???? Oh ya great drumming by Charlie!  Shocked

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #49 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 11:07am
According to Marko, the flac files are actually sourced from the mp3 files that were already in circulation, so we're still waiting on a lossless version

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)