Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 180,893 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: The rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #775 - Feb 3rd, 2024 at 1:58pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Kick out the jams motherfuckers!!

RIP Wayne Kramer (1948-2024)

Wayne Kramer, Influential MC5 Guitarist, Dies at 75

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/arts/music/wayne-kramer-dead.html

Wayne Kramer dead: MC5 co-founder and activist was 75

https://nypost.com/2024/02/02/entertainment/wayne-kramer-dead-mc5-co-founder-and...

Wayne Kramer's musical legacy lives on as fans mourn the MC5 rock icon

Brian McCollum
Detroit Free Press
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2024/02/02/wayne-...

Wayne Kramer of MC5 performs onstage during the Wild Honey Foundation, Lenny Kaye & Rhino Present, a 50th Anniversary All-Star Celebration of the Nuggets Compilation Album at Alex Theatre on May 19, 2023. Getty Images

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
Reply #776 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 12:00pm
RIP Mojo Nixon (1957-2024)

Elvis Is Everywhere

The video

The song

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #777 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 11:03am
RIP Damo Suzuki (1950-2024)

If you have time to listen some experimental rock, mixing elements of psych, prog click the video below

He started and ended busking, the band Can is one of the best examples of the so called "Krautrock"

Can’s Damo Suzuki Has Died

The improvisatory great passes...

ROBIN MURRAY  NEWS  10 · 02 · 2024
Can vocalist Damo Suzuki has passed away.
https://www.clashmusic.com/news/cans-damo-suzuki-has-died/

Here my humble collection (no CDs)... time to listen a few

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #778 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 7:43pm
RIP John Sinclair (1941-2024)

John Sinclair, Poet, MC5 Manager, and Activist, Dead at 82

The Detroit counterculture icon who managed the MC5 symbolized youth rebellion in the Sixties
BY ALTHEA LEGASPI
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/john-sinclair-dead-obit-123499...

John Sinclair, political activist, wearing a large cannabis plant patch, smoking marijuana outdoors in Ann Arbor, MI, in 1968. LENI SINCLAIR/GETTY IMAGES

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #779 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 7:45pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #780 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 1:53pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Aug 25th, 2023 at 8:07pm:
RIP Bernie Marsden (1951-2023)

Guitarrist for Paice Ashton Lord, Whistesnake, Moody Marsden Band, Cozy Powell and some more

Here a cool pic of Bernie with "the beast". As you can see, he had good taste... see the "The Rolling Stones - In Mono" box set! The picture was taken a few months before his death

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2024 at 1:54pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #781 - Apr 14th, 2024 at 7:47pm
RIP TomL

I started this topic here, but I'm sure he deserves more

CLICK HERE TO GO TO HIS OWN OBI!
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2024 at 12:43pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #782 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 12:45pm
OBITUARY
Dickey Betts, Allman Brothers Band Singer-Guitarist, Dead at 80

The co-founder of the Southern rock institution was known for “Ramblin’ Man,” a countryfied guitar style all his own, and inspiring a character in Almost Famous
BY DAVID BROWNE

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dickey-betts-allman-brothers-band-...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #783 - Today at 4:29pm
Duane Eddy, Whose Twang Changed Rock ’n’ Roll, Dies at 86

A self-taught electric guitar virtuoso, he influenced a generation of musicians. One of them, John Fogerty, called him rock’s first guitar god.

Duane Eddy at the 2014 Stagecoach Festival in Indio, Calif. He sold millions of records with growling, echo-laden hits like “Rebel Rouser.”Credit...Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for Stagecoach

Duane Eddy, who broke new ground in pop music in the 1950s with a reverberant, staccato style of guitar playing that became known as twang, died on Tuesday in Franklin, Tenn. He was 86.

The cause of his death, in a hospital, was complications of cancer, said his wife, Deed (Abbate) Eddy.

Mr. Eddy had tremendous success as a strictly instrumental recording artist in the late 1950s and ’60s, selling millions of records worldwide with growling, echo-laden hits like “Rebel Rouser” and “Forty Miles of Bad Road.” In the process, he played a major role in establishing electric guitar as the predominant musical instrument in rock ’n’ roll.

Mr. Eddy influenced a multitude of rock guitarists, including George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Springsteen, whose plunging guitar lines on “Born to Run” pay homage to Mr. Eddy’s muscular fretwork.

“Duane Eddy was the front guy, the first rock and roll guitar god,” John Fogerty, the founding lead singer and guitarist of Creedence Clearwater Revival, is quoted as saying on the Rhino Records website.

Mr. Eddy, who was self-taught, devised his rhythmic melodicism by playing the lead lines on his recordings on his guitar’s bass strings and by liberally using the vibrato bar. He never learned to read or score music, but he had a strong ear for pop idioms, including country, jazz, and rhythm and blues.

He also had a knack for studio experimentation; at one point he brought a 2,000-gallon water tank to a session and placed a speaker inside to simulate the effects of an echo chamber.

“I like exploring different textures on tracks in the studio, and different arrangement ideas,” Mr. Eddy said in a 2013 interview with Guitar Player magazine, which had honored him in 2004 with its Legend Award.

“For me,” Mr. Eddy went on, “it’s not just playing the instrument, it’s also making the record. I guess a better way of explaining it is that I don’t write or arrange songs as such. Instead, I think of it as writing or arranging records. My sound is the common denominator that pulls all the threads and knits them together.”

Easily recognizable, Mr. Eddy’s signature approach to the guitar accounted for 15 Top 40 pop hits from 1958 to 1963. “Because They’re Young,” a string-sweetened record, appeared on the soundtrack of the 1960 movie of the same name that starred Dick Clark and Tuesday Weld. More characteristic of Mr. Eddy’s gritty playing was “Cannonball,” a rollicking instrumental that reached the pop Top 20 in the U.S. and the Top 10 in Britain in 1958, and “(Dance With the) Guitar Man,” a 1962 hit that featured a female vocal group on the chorus. “The Ballad of Paladin,” a loping instrumental, was used as the theme for the CBS television series “Have Gun — Will Travel.”

Most of Mr. Eddy’s albums from the late 1950s and early ’60s incorporated a variation on the word “twang” in their titles. This one, released in 1960, was co-produced by his frequent collaborator Lee Hazlewood.Credit...Jamie Records
Most of Mr. Eddy’s early recordings were made with the producer and songwriter Lee Hazlewood and released on the Philadelphia-based label Jamie Records. The Rebels, his backing band, boasted several members of the celebrated West Coast studio collective known as the Wrecking Crew including the guitarist Al Casey, the saxophonists Jim Horn and Plas Johnson, and the keyboard and bass player Larry Knechtel.

Most of Mr. Eddy’s albums from the late 1950s and early ’60s incorporated a version of the word “twang” in their titles.

Mr. Eddy was born on April 26, 1938, in Corning, N.Y., a small town in the south central part of the state, and started playing the guitar at the age of 5. His father, Lloyd, drove a bread truck and later managed a Safeway grocery store, and his mother, Alberta Evelyn (Granger) Eddy, managed the home. The family moved to Tucson, Ariz., when Duane was 13, and then to Phoenix, where he met Mr. Hazlewood and they began their musical partnership.

He acquired his first custom-made Chet Atkins-model Gretsch guitar when he was 16. He made his first recordings — as half of the duo Jimmy and Duane, with the pianist Jimmy Delbridge (who later recorded under the name Jimmy Dell) — the next year.

In 1957, Mr. Eddy began touring as a guitarist with Dick Clark’s Caravan of Stars, and he began releasing recordings under his own name shortly afterward.

Mr. Eddy and Mr. Hazlewood parted ways over a contract dispute in late 1960, though they later reunited to work on projects. Mr. Eddy signed with RCA shortly after.

The hit singles had stopped coming by the mid-1960s, but Mr. Eddy continued to release instrumental albums, including “Duane Does Dylan,” a collection of covers of songs written by Bob Dylan.

The rockabilly revival of the next decade gave rise to renewed interested in Mr. Eddy’s work. The 1970s also saw Mr. Eddy producing albums by Phil Everly and Waylon Jennings, whose widow, Jessi Colter, was married to Mr. Eddy from 1962 to 1968.

Mr. Eddy’s music was introduced to yet another generation of fans in the 1980s, when the British synth-pop group Art of Noise released an avant-disco reworking of his 1960 hit version of Henry Mancini’s “Peter Gunn,” with Mr. Eddy on lead guitar. It won a Grammy Award for best rock instrumental performance in 1987.

Mr. Eddy was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1994, the same year that his original hit recording of “Rebel Rouser” appeared in the movie “Forrest Gump.” “The Trembler,” a track he wrote with Ravi Shankar, was featured in Oliver Stone’s 1994 film, “Natural Born Killers.” He was also inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville in 2008.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Eddy is survived by three children, Linda Jones and Chris Eddy, from his first marriage, to Carol Puckett, and Jennifer Eddy Davis, from his marriage to Ms. Colter; a sister, Elaine Scarborough; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Unlike many instrumentalists, Mr. Eddy said, he never seriously considered expanding his musical résumé to include vocals.

Elaborating on the subject to Guitar Player in 2013, he recalled an interview with Conan O’Brien at which he was asked, “Duane, you’ve been in this business for many years now; what do you consider your greatest contribution to music?” He answered, “Not singing.”

“I never felt that I had a good voice for singing,” he went on. “When I was young, this frustrated me a lot, so I took it out on the guitar.”

- New York Times

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)