Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 180,886 times)
leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: The rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #750 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 6:12pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
According to iorr and Wikipedia, Jim Price died In February. I don’t recall hearing anything about this anywhere?

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #751 - Oct 28th, 2023 at 10:04pm
RIP Jim! didn't know this... until you posted it yesterday

I have a header in his honor for tomorrow, I have his only album "Kids Nowadays Ain't Got No Shame" with great guests like Nicky Hopkins, Klaus Voormann, Bobby Keys and Jim Keltner, produced by Jimmy Miller! I'm going to listen it, I have years not listening it

Thanks Leonid, a lot a good musicians / producers have passed in the recent years "in press silence"

In addition to his work with the stones he did sessions and production work for many great including Joe Cocker and George Harrison and the great Genya Ravan

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #752 - Oct 29th, 2023 at 9:11pm
Here the header for Jim!

Mick Taylor and Jim Price head to open the “GOODBYE BRITAIN - UK TOUR”; City Hall, Newcastle - March 4, 1971 (lick for more) © Daily Mirror

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #753 - Oct 29th, 2023 at 10:11pm
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2023 at 10:15pm by leonid »  

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #754 - Nov 30th, 2023 at 7:30am

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #755 - Dec 1st, 2023 at 2:59pm
Mars Williams, Sax Player for Psychedelic Furs and Waitresses, Dies at 68

On a personal note:

Mars was a friend and a great sax player.
I got the news of his death the next day on my way to Paris...I felt this would be a nice place to post this.
I've seen the Furs play maybe 20 times...I even had my bachelor party at a Furs concert.
I saw him (and the band) in September. He looked well, played incredibly but was clearly tired.
I know he was happy to play regardless of his condition.

Psychedelic Furs fans didnt really know about his avant-garde efforts.
They are regarded by many as barrier breaking.
He played with so many artists in the 80's and 90's, you never even knew it was him.

I heard the seminal "Christmas Wrapping" yesterday at the market.
My eyes swelled up.
You are missed my friend.
Thank you for all the great times on and off stage.
RIP Mars!

https://variety.com/2023/music/obituaries-people-news/mars-williams-dead-saxopho...

Mars Williams, a saxophone player known for his work as a member of the Waitresses and later the Psychedelic Furs, died Monday at age 68.

His hometown newspaper the Chicago Tribune first confirmed Williams’ passing and reported that the cause of death was ampullary cancer. Williams was diagnosed with the rare cancer a year ago.

Williams’ sax was a key element of the Waitresses during the group’s short but impactful two-album tenure in 1980-83, heard on the signature songs “Christmas Wrapping,” “Square Pegs” and “I Know What Boys Like” as well as saxophone-heavy deep cuts like the title track of their “Bruiseology” LP.

The Waitresses’ split roughly coincided with Williams being asked by the Psychedelic Furs asking him to sit in for their absent resident sax man on an overseas tour in 1983, which turned into a tenure that extended through 1989. He then resumed his work with the Furs from 2005 through his final tour dates with the band, which wrapped up just last month in October.

Most of Williams’ work fell on the jazz side, however, particularly with ensembles with an experimental bent.

Among the dozens of groups he played with, Williams was for 25 years a member of the Chicago group Liquid Soul, which picked up a Grammy nomination for best contemporary jazz record in 2001. “Poised to rattle your headspace, Chicago’s premier funk-jazz ensemble Liquid Soul have been combining bebop with hip-hop since 1994 with muscular horns, tongue-cutting rappers, and turntable-infested rhythms,” wrote the Village Voice.

Downtown jazz legend John Zorn wrote liner notes for an album Williams did with Hal Russell in 1984 and called him “one of the true saxophone players — someone who takes pleasure in the sheer act of blowing the horn. This tremendous enthusiasm is an essential part of his sound, and it comes through each note every time he plays. Whatever the situation, Mars plays exciting music. In many ways he has succeeded in redefining what versatility means to the modern saxophone player.”

Among the rock and jazz musicians Williams played with live or on record, as listed on his website, were Billy Idol (on the “Rebel Yell” tour), the Killers, Power Station, Wayne Kramer, Ministry, Bill Laswell, Charlie Hunter, Dirty Projectors, Billy Squier, DJ Logic, John Scoffield, Kurt Elling, Jerry Garcia and the Untouchables.

Williams’ unique sensibility could be found in how every year, up through 2022, he led what was billed as “an Ayler Xmas Tour,” combining the music of free-jazz great Albert Ayler with Christmas carols.

Williams led or participated in many other ensembles as well, including the NRG Ensemble, Trio No Mas, the Chicago Reed Quartet, the Mars Williams Music Book Orchestra and Boneshaker. Among his better-heard recent recordings was a sax solo on Kesha’s cover of “Children of the Revolution” on a T. Rex tribute album produced by the late Hal Willner.

The musician was born in Elmhurst, Illinois in 1955 and came up playing classical clarinet for 10 years, under the influence of his trumpet-playing father, before switching to saxophone. He cited Eric Dolphy, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker as his first major influences, falling under the sway of Ornette Coleman later on.

Williams had been sober for 20 years and was active with helping struggling fellow musicians through the MusiCares program.

A show this coming Saturday night at Chicago’s Metro had been designed as a benefit for his medical care, but will now serve as a celebration-of-life event. Richard Butler, Zachary Alford and Rich Good of Psychedelic Furs, Ike Reilly and Jeff Coffin of the Dave Matthews Band are expected to sit in on a concert led by Williams’ longtime bandmates in Liquid Soul.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2023 at 3:01pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #756 - Dec 5th, 2023 at 1:37pm

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #757 - Jan 8th, 2024 at 3:14pm
In memory of David Soul "Hutch" (1943-2024)

He was also musician, he released an album with Nicky Hopkins, Taj Mahal, The Persuasions, Merl Saunders, Norton Buffalo, Greg Erric (of Sly and the Familiy Stone) and some more.

Here performing Leonard Cohen's "Bird on a fire" with the legendary Nicky Hopkins doing arrangements and playing piano

Now Amanda McBroom's "Ex-Lover", also with Nicky Hopkins

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #758 - Jan 8th, 2024 at 3:23pm
RIP Franz Beckenbauer (1945 - 2024)

This is not rock related at all, but boy... I watched Franz during the 1970 FIFA World Cup... during the semfinal he dislocated his shoulder and continue playing, that match was considered the  "Game of the Century" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_v_West_Germany_(1970_FIFA_World_Cup)

Here, Franz with Gerd Müller who was the top Goalscorer that cup and our boyz, no idea about the author, but thank you!!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #759 - Jan 9th, 2024 at 8:23am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 8th, 2024 at 3:23pm:
RIP Franz Beckenbauer (1945 - 2024)

This is not rock related at all, but boy... I watched Franz during the 1970 FIFA World Cup... during the semfinal he dislocated his shoulder and continue playing, that match was considered the  "Game of the Century" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_v_West_Germany_(1970_FIFA_World_Cup)

I've seen him play a few times when he was on the NY Cosmos,...along with Pele on the same field!!
At the former Giant's Stadium in the 70's

IP Logged

ThomasOliver
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #760 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 11:38am
BBC Radio 1 DJ Annie Nightingale ages 83.  She was still on the airwaves until late last year.

In the 80s was considered the 2nd best DJ by students behind John Peel.

In the 70s She had a Sunday afternoon show and one week decided to play Star Star being unaware of the lyrics.  Needless to say the song was swiftly removed from the turntable and Annie got in a bit of trouble, putting it lightly.

RIP.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #761 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 12:51pm
ThomasOliver wrote on Jan 14th, 2024 at 11:38am:
BBC Radio 1 DJ Annie Nightingale ages 83.  She was still on the airwaves until late last year.

In the 70s She had a Sunday afternoon show and one week decided to play Star Star being unaware of the lyrics.  Needless to say the song was swiftly removed from the turntable and Annie got in a bit of trouble, putting it lightly.

RIP.

A header for Annie...

With Annie Nightingale (1940-2024) on an edition of Roundtable (Click to listen) © BBC Archives with thanks to Thomas Oliver

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #762 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 6:32pm
For some reason or other I first think of Big Anne being told on telly that she would be receiving a clip from "The jungles of Jamaica", , prior to airing the Tosh & MJ "Walk But Don't Look" performance with Sly & Robbie and with MJ camping it up, in shades, with the rather stiff Tosh..

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #763 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 6:33pm
For some reason or other I first think of Big Anne being told on telly that she would be receiving a clip from "The jungles of Jamaica", , prior to airing the Tosh & MJ "Walk But Don't Look" performance with Sly & Robbie and with MJ camping it up, in shades, with the rather stiff Tosh..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #764 - Jan 15th, 2024 at 11:00am
ThomasOliver wrote on Jan 14th, 2024 at 11:38am:

RIP.

Annie was my favourite BBC Radio DJ in that era. Loved her Sunday evening show.

She was good on Old Grey Whistle Test too, although one of my favourite memories was a notorious gaffe on her part in a filmed clip of her interviewing Paul Simon. Amazingly they didn't edit it out.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

ThomasOliver
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #765 - Jan 15th, 2024 at 12:35pm
Ha ha brilliant.  I hadn't seen that clip before.

I remember her doing OGWT.  Very good presenter. She was the right person to bring in when the show went from prog to punk and electronic.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Melanie Dead at 76
Reply #766 - Jan 24th, 2024 at 5:23pm
Melanie, the American singer-songwriter who had a Top 10 hit in the UK with her cover of "Ruby Tuesday," but is best known for her original songs "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" [about her experience at Woodstock] and "Brand New Key," passed away yesterday at the age of 76.  Her family has asked that each of us light a candle and raise it high at 10:00 p.m. tonight Central Standard Time (4:00 a.m. tomorrow UTC). Cry

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Melanie Dead at 76
Reply #767 - Jan 24th, 2024 at 7:30pm
RIP Melanie

Ruby Tuesday 2018 version

Ruby Tuesday 1971

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #768 - Jan 24th, 2024 at 8:42pm
lick the image to listen Melanie performing "Mr. Tambourine Man", Woodstock festival 1969

IP Logged

ThomasOliver
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #769 - Jan 25th, 2024 at 12:40am
RIP Melanie.

She did a great version of Ruby Tuesday.

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #770 - Jan 25th, 2024 at 2:58pm
What's the deal with her & Dylan?
I always liked her version of Ruby Tuesday

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #771 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 6:51am
Goo wrote on Jan 25th, 2024 at 2:58pm:
What's the deal with her & Dylan?

Who hasn't been bedded down by Zimmy?
He's always been a reputed cocksman

I'm unfamiliar with Melanie...I will check her out later in the day.

RIP Miss M

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #772 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 9:48am
Paranoid Android wrote on Jan 26th, 2024 at 6:51am:
I'm unfamiliar with Melanie...

Until yesterday I had not heard it for more than 50 years, my sister had a record and for me it was so soft at the time that I never played that one. Yesterday I was listening to it on Spotify and I changed my mind, it was great

Liste her set at Woodstock here https://open.spotify.com/intl-es/album/2zlv17M05aUbvb0C802lIT?si=KDrCZtQQQJyza2c...

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #773 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 1:51pm
Melanie also recorded a beautiful cover of “Wild Horses.”

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #774 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 2:14pm
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Jan 26th, 2024 at 1:51pm:
Melanie also recorded a beautiful cover of “Wild Horses.”

Wow, it's a great version, didn't know that.

Checking Nico's website she did 4 different studio versions of Ruby Tuesday plus a 12" Remix, one version of Wild Horses, one of Jig-Saw Puzzle and one of "As Tears Go By"

Jig-Saw Puzzle:

https://open.spotify.com/intl-es/track/5pFcHOnHOnchiGpcID0Bds?si=3945fa784fe5416...

Wild Horses:

https://open.spotify.com/intl-es/track/4ddEZQFe8KvjGw7z9YRFnm?si=03c94eeaabdd452...

As Tears Go By:

Ref. Nico https://www.nzentgraf.de
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2024 at 8:17pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)