Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 ... 276
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 902,404 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!) - Enter at your own risk! Warning… Probable bullcrap inside
Reply #3850 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 11:36am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gridlock Accomplished.

After Democrats won control of the House of Representatives on Tuesday, President Donald Trump will face actual oversight from Congress for the first time. His most controversial policies will immediately come under investigation ― as will the scandals that circled the first two years of his presidency.

Trump’s family separation policy, efforts to sabotage the Affordable Care Act, rollbacks of environmental regulations, the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 Census, the issuance of security clearances to Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and former national security adviser Michael Flynn, voter suppression and the president’s potential violation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause all top the list of Democrats’ oversight plans. They also plan to obtain Trump’s tax returns.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2018 at 11:40am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!) - Enter at your own risk! Warning… Probable bullcrap inside
Reply #3851 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 1:37pm
Some Guy wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 11:36am:
Gridlock Accomplished.

After Democrats won control of the House of Representatives on Tuesday, President Donald Trump will face actual oversight from Congress for the first time. His most controversial policies will immediately come under investigation ― as will the scandals that circled the first two years of his presidency.

Trump’s family separation policy, efforts to sabotage the Affordable Care Act, rollbacks of environmental regulations, the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 Census, the issuance of security clearances to Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and former national security adviser Michael Flynn, voter suppression and the president’s potential violation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause all top the list of Democrats’ oversight plans. They also plan to obtain Trump’s tax returns.

Gridlock Accomplished. - - - You're proud of that, ain't ya ?

Trump’s family separation policy - - - A policy already in place during the Obama years.

efforts to sabotage the Affordable Care Act - - - efforts to increase affordable care and access to services under a law that had next to no research before putting into effect. "We need to pass this law so we can can see what's in it."

rollbacks of environmental regulations - - - Done in such a way as to lessen our dependence on foreign sources who do not regulate their production and may not be as friendly as we'd like them to be.

the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 Census - - - Does this really need an explanation? I suppose the Dems do not like this question, giving that they're doing everything they can think of to increase their voter rolls.

the issuance of security clearances to Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and former national security adviser Michael Flynn - - - Clearances are not given out willy-nilly, and while the President may cancel a person's clearance, I don't think the President can OK a clearance without going through proper protocol.

voter suppression - - - Example please.

the president’s potential violation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause - - - Damn! I think I was in high school Civics class when I last heard about this. So what gifts or titles has Trump accepted and why was nothing said for Obama accepting a Nobel Prize?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #3852 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 1:37pm:
Some Guy wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 11:36am:
Gridlock Accomplished.

Trump’s family separation policy - - - A policy already in place during the Obama years.

efforts to sabotage the Affordable Care Act - - - efforts to increase affordable care and access to services under a law that had next to no research before putting into effect. "We need to pass this law so we can can see what's in it."

rollbacks of environmental regulations - - - Done in such a way as to lessen our dependence on foreign sources who do not regulate their production and may not be as friendly as we'd like them to be.

the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 Census - - - Does this really need an explanation? I suppose the Dems do not like this question, giving that they're doing everything they can think of to increase their voter rolls.

the issuance of security clearances to Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and former national security adviser Michael Flynn - - - Clearances are not given out willy-nilly, and while the President may cancel a person's clearance, I don't think the President can OK a clearance without going through proper protocol.

voter suppression - - - Example please.

the president’s potential violation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause - - - Damn! I think I was in high school Civics class when I last heard about this. So what gifts or titles has Trump accepted and why was nothing said for Obama accepting a Nobel Prize?

Voter suppression? see Georgia as well as the tribal Indian complaints and all the gerrymandering done by GOP Governors. But grid lock is not good for anyone. But there sure needs to finally be some oversight on Trump's team.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3853 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 2:19pm
gimmekeef wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
Voter suppression? see Georgia as well as the tribal Indian complaints and all the gerrymandering done by GOP Governors. But grid lock is not good for anyone. But there sure needs to finally be some oversight on Trump's team.

I'm pretty sure voter redistricting is done by the judicial system.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3854 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 8:37pm

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:43am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3855 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 8:45pm

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:43am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3856 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 8:51pm

<  ---------------------------   Some Guy   ?!  .... !!!!! :

https://www.omaha.com/opinion/ed-rogers-democrats-won-the-house-but-trump-won-th...

" Ed Rogers: Democrats won the House, but Trump won the election . "

" While Tuesday night was not a complete win for Republicans, there was no blue wave, either. By most measures, Republicans beat the odds of history and nearly everyone’s expectations, while Democrats were left disappointed as the fantasy of Beto O’Rourke, Andrew Gillum, Stacey Abrams and others winning fizzled.

Not one new progressive Democrat was successful bursting onto the scene. It will take a few days to process the meaning of this year’s election returns, but the instant analysis is clear: Democrats may have won the House, but Trump won the election.

As I always say, in politics, what is supposed to happen tends to happen. I predicted in August that the Democrats would take the House but that alone was not enough for most Democrats. As much as this year’s midterms offered an obvious opportunity to rebuke President Donald Trump, little of what the arrogant Democrats and members of the mainstream media expected would happen actually did.

So much of what they said turned out to be wrong that it will take a while before the significance becomes clear. And if the 2018 midterms prove anything, it is that Trump is standing strong, while Democrats and their allies who thought Trump would have been affirmatively rejected are in fact the ones who have themselves been denied.

Democrats have underperformed in comparison with the historical markers and general expectations of a midterm cycle. The president’s party loses 37 seats in the House on average in midterm elections when his approval is below 50 percent — but Democrats aren’t projected to pick up nearly that many seats.

No liberal will want to admit it, but Trump is an asset to the Republican Party, while President Barack Obama was a disaster for the Democratic Party.

Let the message be clear: Voters had a chance to repudiate Trump, and they did not. Much of the commentariat has said this year’s elections are about who we are as a country and what America is all about. Well, a lot of America seems to be about supporting Trump. The Democrats thought Trump’s negatives would be enough to propel them to victory. The 2018 results show it is clear they need a different plan if they think they can win in 2020.

The midterms largely followed the conventional wisdom of how midterms are supposed to go. The president’s party lost some seats, but by and large what happened was far from the blue-wave rebuke that Democrats and their allies in the media said was going to happen.

So if the midterms were supposed to be bad for the GOP and all eyes were on Trump this year, the big question is whether anything about Tuesday night’s results supports the idea that Trump was a weight on Republican candidates.

Is Trumpism a political blight on the Republican Party? The answer is that Trumpism is a net plus. What that says about the GOP and America is unclear. But for the purposes of the 2018 midterms, Trump is a winner.

Trump and his allies have an appeal that the elites in New York and Hollywood cannot dismiss or combat. All of the 2018 Democratic heartthrobs lost. That must sap the enthusiasm of the resistance. For the most part, when voters had to decide, the angry left was rejected and Trump was rewarded.

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:35am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3857 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 9:07pm

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:45am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3858 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 9:24pm

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:45am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Rev 20 Redlights
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3859 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:48am
Some Guy wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:10am:
Rev 20 Redlights wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:10pm:
15 months before the 2016 election, on the Exile fan forum,
I guaranteed that Trump would be the next president...

Everyone laughed

9 months ago, on Shidoobee, I guaranteed who would defeat Trump in 2020

I know he said he's not ready, I know he said he's not running,
but none of that matters. I can smell what he's cooking...

(pic today from the set of Hobbs and Shaw)

Why not? Fuck it.

Politico, Nov 6

A top adviser to former presidential nominee Hillary Clinton says
he’s not confident anyone in the 2020 Democratic field has a shot at
blocking President Donald Trump from a second term.

During an interview for National Review, Philippe Reines said that at this
point he would bet on Trump being reelected in 2020.

"I think there are Democrats out there who would make great presidents;
I just don't know how you would get through both the Democratic primaries
and the general election", he said, adding that the two have "different dynamics".

“I always think of it this way, that if the election were held tomorrow, stick in
a name, would Trump win?” Reines said, throwing in the name of a celebrity.
“I think The Rock would win. I have a hard time seeing how the other
Democrats who are running would win."
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:22pm by Rev 20 Redlights »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #3860 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:50am
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

Edith..actually no..its done at the state legislative level controlled by the governor's. There is a book on how the GOP built a firewall using this technique. That's why there was so much effort to swing governorships.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/27/ratfcked-the-influence-of-redistri...
Heres a bit more info:
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:53am by gimmekeef »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3861 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 8:47am
Lame duck time?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3862 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:25am
gimmekeef wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:50am:
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

Edith..actually no..its done at the state legislative level controlled by the governor's. There is a book on how the GOP built a firewall using this technique. That's why there was so much effort to swing governorships.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/27/ratfcked-the-influence-of-redistri...
Heres a bit more info:

OK, thanks for that.

Louisiana's legislature has the same process unless the legislature is unable to draw lines, then the state supreme court gets involved.

I'd imagine our court stays busy with that.  Grin

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting_in_Louisiana#State_process

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3863 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:53am

not really- just an archaic reference lost on younger posters,

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3864 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Some Guy wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 8:47am:
Lame duck time?

Hardly.

By keeping the Senate majority, it's much easier for the President to make things happen than if he had only the House.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3865 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:55pm
The only thing that could possibly fix this is if Ashton Kutcher popped out and said America you've been Punk'd!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3866 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 8:59pm

<  ----------- Some Guy  ?!  .... !!!!!!   :

https://www.omaha.com/opinion/michael-barone-split-election-result-sends-polariz...

" Michael Barone: Split election result sends polarized politics toward 2020 .  "

" The Republican president, considered a lightweight and an ignoramus by many in Washington, suffered a setback in the off-year elections, losing several seats and effective control in the House, while maintaining and perhaps strengthening his party in the Senate. His leverage on domestic issues is reduced, but he retains the initiative on foreign policy and judgeships.

That’s a fair description of this week’s off-year elections — and of those in 1982, the last time voters paired a Republican president with a Democratic House and a Republican Senate. It also resembles results in 1962, when a Democratic president’s party gained four Senate seats and lost four in the House.

We know what happened after 1982 and 1962. The economy boomed, and Ronald Reagan and John F. Kennedy’s successor, Lyndon Johnson, won landslide victories two years later. Voters then remembered the Depression and World War II, and they rewarded incumbents in time of peace and prosperity.

Voters today have no memory of those events, and there hasn’t been a presidential landslide since Reagan’s in 1984. Donald Trump, ace polarizer, is certainly not going to win one. Nor, Tuesday’s results suggest, is he likely to be beaten in one, either.

Senate results support that point. At this writing, Republicans gained three seats in heavily Trump states (Indiana, Missouri and North Dakota), held a solid lead in Florida and a shaky one in Arizona, while losing one seat in Nevada. Their majority, rising from 51-49 to 54-46 or 55-45, looks maintainable into the 2020s.

The three defeated Democrats and Florida’s Bill Nelson voted against the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh, while West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, the one Democrat voting aye on Kavanaugh, held on to win by 3 percent. Senate races seem to have become contests to determine who gets on the Supreme Court. Similarly, one issue helping the apparent Republican gubernatorial winner in Florida, Ron DeSantis, is that he can appoint a conservative majority on the state Supreme Court. Courts making public policy can expect to be held accountable politically.

Democrats did gain a majority in the House, but the blue wave was a gentle wash, not a tsunami, aided by redistricting. In 1982, about half the Democrats’ 26-seat gain came from redistricting; this year, about a half dozen did, from post-2012 court-forced remapping in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Florida. Pending final results, it appears Democrats have gained 30 to 35 seats in the House, for a total of around 230. That’s well behind Republicans’ 63-seat gain to 242 in the Tea Party year of 2010.

This was a Whole Foods wave, with about two-thirds (by my count) of Democratic gains coming in upscale and suburban districts dominated by high-income college graduates. Upscale suburbs in the Northeast, on the West Coast and in many Midwestern metro areas started trending Democratic in the 1990s. In 2016 and again this year, similar parts of metro areas in the South — Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas and even Oklahoma City — started doing so.

Other subgroups of what Democratic pollster Stanley Greenberg dubbed “America ascendant” have not moved as sharply to the Democrats. Black turnout seems not to have been robust, even in Florida and Georgia, where black governor nominees Andrew Gillum and Stacey Abrams were lavished with favorable media coverage. Both ran behind their poll numbers.

Hispanics voted 69 to 29 percent Democratic, according to the CNN exit poll. But if anything, that’s better for Republicans than in pre-Trump years. As for young people, the 2018 exit poll pegs under-30s as 13 percent of the electorate, about the same as in other years.

Overall turnout was robust, as expected, but among Republicans as well as Democrats, whose party identification edge was an unremarkable 37 to 33 percent. This confirms polls that show the Kavanaugh controversy raised Republicans’ enthusiasm to Democrats’ already high levels.

Democrats have to be disheartened by the defeats of Senate candidates Beto O’Rourke in Texas, Gillum in Florida and Abrams in Georgia. (Although the Florida race could be headed for a recount.) The nation’s second-, third- and eighth-most populous states are not yet tilting as Democratic as the states from which their new residents have fled.

“The prayers of both could not be answered,” Abraham Lincoln said in his second inaugural address. “That of neither has been answered fully.” So it is with this off-year election, in which candidates and voters re-litigated the astounding but now familiar presidential election of 2016.

If Donald Trump hasn’t shown he can improve on his 46 percent of the popular vote, the kind of candidates that Democratic primary voters prefer haven’t shown they can improve on Hillary Clinton’s 232 electoral votes. On to 2020. "

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:36am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3867 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:05pm

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:35am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3868 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:10pm

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:36am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3869 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:01am
11/11/18

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #3870 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:12am
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:01am:
11/11/18

Cheers to that Edith...thanks for posting it

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3871 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 8:30am

<  --------------- Another Friday Evening    ..................  Another Night of  ................ Wait for it !!!!!!!   .......   :

That is right .   THAT IS RIGHT !!!!!!   : 

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

*********  " DRINKING WITH Xi : Sippin' Scotch at the BRAZEN HEAD EDITION  !!!!!!!  "   ***********

Hello Me Stonesian Brothers and Sisters    

It Is Hard !!!!!  …..   What is Hard Joey ?   …… Life  ?!    ……  Being Emperor Xi  ?!   ………. Or Pumping Life into those Democratic Party
Senate Seats  .  Hello Me Stonesian Brothers and Sisters  . Well , another Midterm Election has come to pass and I must admit ,  things
on the Senate Side went so well last week that Emperor Xi and his Entourage arrived into town a bit early to celebrate the Republican
Red Wave  . The Emperor remarked that he finds it a bit strange the Democratic Party seems to be embracing Tuesday’s House results as a
referendum on The Great Man   ---- President Donald J. Trump ( Majestic  “  PRECIOUS  “  Leader ! )   when history has shown that the party
in power nearly ALWAYS loses Congressional Seats ( Exception : 2002 when Bushie43 was preparing this country for a completely unnecessary
Second Iraqi War  ---- W’s  candid ,  plainspoken and earnest cadence disguising a veracious mendacity emanating / dating back to 1993 when
Saddam Hussein tried to assassinate his beloved Daddy  ; thus giving a new meaning to his existence on this orb --- It was a “ Texas THANG !!!!  “  )
……. but I digress .
     Anyway , Xi and myself were sitting on our respective Brazen Head ( VIP SECTION ) Barstools when Bar Manager Christy ( scantily clad  , as usual  ,
and showing off her voluptuous ‘ assets ‘  ;  I am not sure how much she paid for “ Those Girls “ but they are DEFINITELY a Work – of – Art )
brought forth one of the finest Smokey Whiskies to sip all winter long : Laphroaig Cairdeas Quarter Cask  .  Me Stoneslings  , this is an
excellent release   --  with the flavor amplified by a second maturation period in quarter casks after over five years in first – fill bourbon barrels .
VERY difficult to find , but when Emperor Xi comes to town only PREMIUM liquor is consumed by these washed masses . Xi was in a jovial , tasteful
mood and remarked that it was only a matter of time before our beloved Pocahontas announces her inevitable run for the Presidency  .  I nodded in
agreement and brayed  ,  “  that chronic campaigner will never adopt the manners  , methods and even the moods of a President and the voters
will never confirm her as such ! “  The Emperor agreed whole heartedly , mentioning how he hides his pets whenever Morning Joe comes on the air
so as not to mortify , traumatize , shock and upset them just in case “ Poca “ makes a sudden , surprise guest appearance [  … perhaps she will film
and hawk a documentary of her Spit Kit Results   …….   ( “ That Lil’ Kit !   … THAT LIL’ KIT !!!!!! “   )   …… proving once and for all that even Bar Manager Christy
has more Cherokee Genealogy than Poca  ( The Emperor bursts out laughing )    -- Manager Christy is one hundred percent Irish  .  ] 
Speaking of which , Christy covertly ,  stealthily  , surreptiously  appeared on our side of the bar  .........................   ******  .... Smiley
carefully and gently rubbed “ The Girls “ across Xi’ back , stroked his thigh , whispered something in his ear and the two of them disappeared into the
Robert Emmet Room for the rest of the evening    ……… with the Laphroaig Cairdeas in tow   ,  of course …………….  * Whew !!!!!!!!  * That was Close.

“ I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!    “         

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2018 at 1:45pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3872 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 12:16pm
I can't go on like this, can ya? Can ya?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3873 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 12:19pm
gimmekeef wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:12am:
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:01am:
11/11/18

Cheers to that Edith...thanks for posting it

Thanks Edith...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3874 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 3:41pm
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2018 at 4:46pm by Edith Grove »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 ... 276
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)