Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print
the stones to play again(update: tour now in 2013) (Read 60,487 times)
Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: the stones to play again in 2011
Reply #100 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I would rather they tour to tour instead of doing a final tour. I'm not buying a ticket to say goodbye.

A final tour is too emotionally upsetting for someone on the lunatic fringe like myself. I don't want the words FINAL and ROLLING STONES in the same sentence......

Does anyone else here feel like I do?

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #101 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:51pm:
I would rather they tour to tour instead of doing a final tour. I'm not buying a ticket to say goodbye.

A final tour is too emotionally upsetting for someone on the lunatic fringe like myself. I don't want the words FINAL and ROLLING STONES in the same sentence......

I stated on here, my last Stones show was my last Stones show!!!
I farewelled them... but, Ive been a sucker and taken back people who broke my heart before... we shall see!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #102 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:31pm

Like gazza and others have said. They will not announce it as a farewell tour. Some promoters may want them too to help sell a few extra tickets. But for all intents and purposes,it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this will likely be their last major tour. So long sucker

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #103 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 4:43am
It will never be announced as a Farewell Tour or Goodbye Tour or the Last Tour.  KEEF has said this and I heard him say it when a reporter asked him if ABB was the last tour, and I quote THE BAND WILL KEEP GOING UNTIL ONE oF US DIES. So until we have a funeral, we still have a touring band. And KEEF went on to say how the black musicians such as SUMLIN and BUDDY GUY, CHUCK BERRY, etc tour into their 70/80s coz thats what they do and who they are, and these are the role models for The Stones. So it is NOT the final tour, not yet anyway. We can only hope for good health and longevity. Long live the Stones!

and

Sympathy is a great tune and deserves to be played often. Whoot Whoo!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #104 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:25am
Whether it's announced or not, it's pretty much understood that this
would be the final time; our last hurrah with our beloved Band.  Cry
I choke up typing it; but will feel so blessed if and when shows are announced.

I can't think of a better opening song than Sympathy!
Any of you naysayers see Shine a Light??  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #105 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:50am
I remember thinking as I walked out of maple leaf gardens in Toronto after a show that I may never see these guys again.....that was July 1972....so who knows but if they tour i will be there...and everywhere!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #106 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:54am
As some of you are a bit older than me and some of you have a better sense of recall than me...wondering...

Has any band ( Other than THE BAND...which was more of a final show) ever had a tour labeled as a FAREWELL TOUR?
It seems like burning your bridges to me...I can't imagine the backlash the press would give the Stones if they had a Farewell Tour and then decide to play some
more a few years later for whatever reason...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #107 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 10:04am
The faux-farewells are all-too-common, especially for diva-types like Cher. The Eagles also spring to mind.

Relatedly, here's one of the most asinine pieces of music-writing I've ever read, by
Robyn Chelsea-Seifert:
http://www.examiner.com/music-news-in-san-francisco/farewell-concerts-bands-who-...

You will encounter the claim that the Stones have continually mounted "farewell tours" since 1971. I honestly have no freaking clue where she gets this idea, as the band has always explicitly rejected the notion...  

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #108 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 12:03pm
B.B. King, The Eagles, The Who, Cher, Sinatra, and a host of others have all said they were going on final tours.  Mick stated in the 90's he thinks it's a tacky move to announce a farewell tour and that he'd never do it.  He said for some it might be their final Stones tour as the fan may get hit by a bus on their way home.

I think they will never stop.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #109 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:54am:
As some of you are a bit older than me and some of you have a better sense of recall than me...wondering...

Has any band ( Other than THE BAND...which was more of a final show) ever had a tour labeled as a FAREWELL TOUR?
It seems like burning your bridges to me...I can't imagine the backlash the press would give the Stones if they had a Farewell Tour and then decide to play some
more a few years later for whatever reason...

Aside from those mentioned above, Wham did it. Thankfully they stuck to it. Westlife (the biggest boy band in the British Isles) have just announced their farewell tour. Sadly its about 15 years too late.  Glenn Campbell is currently on a farewell tour - which he's doing as he's in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease (by all accounts, the shows have been better than I think people would have expected under those circumstances). Bowie of course announced 'this is the last show we'll ever do' from the stage at Hammersmith Odeon in 1973 when performing with the Spiders from Mars, and they never toured together again. I've lost count of how many times Prince has either announced the retirement of himself or his old songs.

The difference with the Stones 'coming back' is that they simply dont HAVE 'a few years' to take off and then change their minds!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #110 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Bitch wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 4:43am:
It will never be announced as a Farewell Tour or Goodbye Tour or the Last Tour.  KEEF has said this and I heard him say it when a reporter asked him if ABB was the last tour, and I quote THE BAND WILL KEEP GOING UNTIL ONE oF US DIES. So until we have a funeral, we still have a touring band. And KEEF went on to say how the black musicians such as SUMLIN and BUDDY GUY, CHUCK BERRY, etc tour into their 70/80s coz thats what they do and who they are, and these are the role models for The Stones. So it is NOT the final tour, not yet anyway. We can only hope for good health and longevity. Long live the Stones!

Those guys do it because theyre a lot less wealthy than the Stones and also because its easier if you're a solo act.

A band who have barely been in the same room together for four and a half years (well, until this week) isnt a 'touring band' no matter how much any of us wants to dress it up to the contrary. Neither Mick or Keith have spent more than 20 minutes in total on a stage since August 2007.

Never formally splitting up and always keeping the door open for future possibilities isnt the same as 'keeping going'.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #111 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:32pm:
Never formally splitting up and always keeping the door open for future possibilities isnt the same as 'keeping going'.

I don't disagree with that. But I still think the Stones are due credit for never branding a tour with the explicit intention of signaling to fans "This is your last chance to see us."

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #112 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:45pm

I can empathise with that. Each tour I've been to, at the final show I've attended (and I was at the tour finales in 1990, 1995 and 2007) I've always got that 'this might be it!' lump in the throat at the end...KNOWING its the last show youre going to see is another thing, though. I'd still go, however, simply because in the last few years I've found it easier to accept that there's not much mileage left in them. At this stage, though my attitude is that any more shows are a bonus, and I don't feel 'deprived' if it were to end, which is the way I would have felt before the last tour.  Thats not to say I wont find the experience unpleasant when it comes. Far from it.

They get asked the 'last tour' questions at the start of every tour they've done for the last 40-45 years.

My own hunch is that while I dont expect them to formally confirm it as a 'farewell tour', I'd expect Jagger to more or less hint at it as such with some evasive 'well, we're not getting older - so who knows?' type quote.

They wont do another major tour after the next one. I think they're very conscious of the '50th anniversary' thing and there's a lot of symbolism and prestige in that achievement, but they're also more than aware that there are other factors which would indicate that they're on the home straight as a performing band - age and an acceptance that there are physical limitations on being able to perform at the level they would like to for much longer, the fact that taking years off between tours isn't practical for performers who hope to be gigging into their 70's, the sense and knowledge that they've really nothing left to prove, a (hopeful) acceptance that if they're going to feel the need to get competitive with U2 and attempt to outgross them that it's a battle they wont win as age and numbers aren't on their side anymore, and just as significantly, the fact that with the western world's economies being pretty much fucked for the forseeable future, there's only so much money that most people have to see a show that pretty much everyone who has wanted to will have seen by now.

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:52pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #113 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:46pm
Mel Belli wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:38pm:
Gazza wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:32pm:

I don't disagree with that. But I still think the Stones are due credit for never branding a tour with the explicit intention of signaling to fans "This is your last chance to see us."

Absolutely. And I'd expect that trend to continue. Officially, anyway.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #114 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 8:04pm
Seriously, can you imagine all of us after the final bows??!!!
I really cannot.

I have broken down in tears at the end of every show I've seen since No Security.
And those of you that know me, can attest to how emotional I am.

I feel sorry for whomever has to sit near me SHOULD it happen.
GotToRollMe, Martha and SV............prepare yourselves.

And Pdog, I'll never forget our MSG moment in Jan 06. Ever.

LJ.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #115 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 8:41pm
I'm emotional in general about this band....especially when the band and I are breathing the same air.

This band IS a current band. They have plenty of road in front of them. No traffic...they are in the lead position and there is no sign of them letting off the god damned throttle.

On a side note, the Shelby Cobra celebrates 50 years in 2012 too.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #116 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 12:20am
Gazza wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 1:45pm:
[quote author=Steel Wheels link=1320856402/100#100 date=1323481906]I would rather they tour to tour instead of doing a final tour. I'm not buying a ticket to say goodbye.

I can empathise with that. Each tour I've been to, at the final show I've attended (and I was at the tour finales in 1990, 1995 and 2007) I've always got that 'this might be it!' lump in the throat at the end...KNOWING its the last show youre going to see is another thing, though. I'd still go, however, simply because in the last few years I've found it easier to accept that there's not much mileage left in them. At this stage, though my attitude is that any more shows are a bonus, and I don't feel 'deprived' if it were to end, which is the way I would have felt before the last tour.  Thats not to say I wont find the experience unpleasant when it comes. Far from it.

They get asked the 'last tour' questions at the start of every tour they've done for the last 40-45 years.

My own hunch is that while I dont expect them to formally confirm it as a 'farewell tour', I'd expect Jagger to more or less hint at it as such with some evasive 'well, we're not getting older - so who knows?' type quote.

They wont do another major tour after the next one. I think they're very conscious of the '50th anniversary' thing and there's a lot of symbolism and prestige in that achievement, but they're also more than aware that there are other factors which would indicate that they're on the home straight as a performing band - age and an acceptance that there are physical limitations on being able to perform at the level they would like to for much longer, the fact that taking years off between tours isn't practical for performers who hope to be gigging into their 70's, the sense and knowledge that they've really nothing left to prove, a (hopeful) acceptance that if they're going to feel the need to get competitive with U2 and attempt to outgross them that it's a battle they wont win as age and numbers aren't on their side anymore, and just as significantly, the fact that with the western world's economies being pretty much fucked for the forseeable future, there's only so much money that most people have to see a show that pretty much everyone who has wanted to will have seen by now.

Although many see me as "enthusiastic" and perceive me as the guy to always keep the faith in them around here I gotta say I agree that this will be their last full scale tour.  Age, health, certainly play the role here. I am not saying, that "if" they are still able they will not perform again or do shows... I'm simply agreeing that this will be their final full on major tour.

I mean, ya just can't be in your seventies and going out there sweating, performing, singing etc. non-stop all around the globe for a year or more...

It would be far too taxing and in a sense, actually risky for them to attempt.

Think of working next to a 70 year old... in a physical sense. Or think of working out, concentrating in a class, or whatever... they just can't do those things like they did even at the age of 60. They get dehydrated quite easily, they can't do those things.

Sure 70 year olds can talk, walk, laugh, enjoy the day and even very mildly exercise but it's tough work in a show even if they slow it down out there.. and remember this is out in the elements no less. Have you ever saw a 70 year old sweat? They really just can't get worked up enough to do that. Younger people can but no 70 year old folk exert themselves to the point of working up a good sweat. They simply can't... and their bodies don't work the same to get to that point at this age. If they do... they will have to go sit down somewhere and/or they get ran down instantly, or some how ill from it.   

The Stones are the most durable rock band that has ever graced the planet... even Stones critics would have to give them that. They are actually incredible.. defying logic and father time and have for so long now BUT lets remember.. they are "human". They can only go so far.  

Ian -

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2011 at 12:30am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #117 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 6:27am
Ian Billen wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 4:30pm:
Well, it's on.

It is naive to think that the only reason for this "jam" is simply to have a good time and see what happens .. .. ..

I must say that there is reasoning behind this .."jam".. as they are putting it.

You don't rent out a studio together again with guitar techs... etc. etc. just to say hello, reacquaint, and have a good time because you haven't seen them in a long time.  If they simply wanted to socialize and play some music again so very badly what kept Bill and the rest from scheduling something for doing such over the last 20 odd years? Why not just throw a party at one of their mansions? Why not rent a hall... whatever.. but you don't get together with old band mates in a "studio" with guitar technicians unless there is a definite purpose involved.  It's that simple -

Call me optimistic, call it jumping the gun, call me enthusiastic or whatever... but to me, it's not even overly obvious... At this point  it's a "no brainer.." they are going to record new stuff. What more do they have to do in order to open doubters to that idea? .. give them a track listing?.. ..  

Ian

Well, Keith has said he hasnt seen the band for a very long time, and he hasnt been playing, so the 'getting together to play and see what happens' is quite reasonable. Its what proper bands do to keep their chops together. Its needed even more if you're considering working in the future with musicians you havent played with before or havent played with for many years too.

And it's merely a jam session we're talking about. Not a recording session. THAT is not speculation.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #118 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:27am
Shouldnt they be jamming soon?......For sure before Christmas?.....maybe a surprise club gig for keef's birthday?.....(just dreaming i know)

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #119 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:35am
gimmekeef wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:27am:
Shouldnt they be jamming soon

Smiley

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #120 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:36am
A tour can be done differently than in the past considering their ages. Several shows I've seen the where band does 2 or 3 shorter sets with a 20 or 30 minute break in betwen sets. Nobody in the crowd objected and it didnt break up the momentum. They could do it in a sequence, the early years, etc. considering its a 50 anniversary tour they have so much material to draw from.  In between they could show movie clips to keep the fans occupied. They could also talk more, giving a little background info on the different songs and I would enjoy hearing any little stories behind the songs. It would be entertaining and not as taxing on the band physically. It may be tougher for them to belt out 22 songs in a row now, but by pacing themselves this way it could work. Nobody at this point expects the same shows as we saw in the past. Being innovative is one of the Stones strong points so they can tour with a different style, thinking outside the box.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #121 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:46am
McCartney's 69 and plays for three hours, with no breaks, and around 35-36 songs per night.

Springsteen's 62 (and his band are much the same age) and regularly performs for three hours or more.

Mick's 68, fitter than Macca is yet sings 16-17 songs per night. With a ten minute break halfway through. Never playing two nights in a row.

There's no reason on earth why a band shouldnt be able to play at least  two hours or around 22 songs per show.

There's no need for Mick or the whole band to run around extended catwalks at their age. If they have to take a mid-show break to pace things better and make the show longer, well and good. It would even give the audience more time to buy merchandise, so its a win-win for the band.  Smiley

Filling out time by talking more instead of playing? At those prices?  Shit!  Smiley

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #122 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:57am
gimmekeef wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:27am:
Shouldnt they be jamming soon?......For sure before Christmas?.....maybe a surprise club gig for keef's birthday?.....(just dreaming i know)

you could use some Ian Billen about now!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #123 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 7:12pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:46am:
McCartney's 69 and plays for three hours, with no breaks, and around 35-36 songs per night.

Springsteen's 62 (and his band are much the same age) and regularly performs for three hours or more.

Mick's 68, fitter than Macca is yet sings 16-17 songs per night. With a ten minute break halfway through. Never playing two nights in a row.

There's no reason on earth why a band shouldnt be able to play at least  two hours or around 22 songs per show.

There's no need for Mick or the whole band to run around extended catwalks at their age. If they have to take a mid-show break to pace things better and make the show longer, well and good. It would even give the audience more time to buy merchandise, so its a win-win for the band.  Smiley

Filling out time by talking more instead of playing? At those prices?  Shit!  Smiley

Mcartney and Jagger,  *(and even Springsteen) are night and day, literally, in the type of show they put on at a physical level. You can't compare the two. McCartney does not ...and can not... move, jump, run, wriggle, all over the friggin stage constantly. He stands or sits there and barley moves a step (now granted, a show at that age, is still impressive... he sings and plays his instruments all during which is taxing in itself and McCartney's three hour show consisting of 35-36 songs.. is "truly impressive".. I am surprised he can still pull that off and it's a marvel he does it...geesh... dudes basically 70 and he is putting on a strong three hour show..).

Jagger doesn't stop moving, prancing and dashing all around. (He won't want to so much lessen his athleticism as much as he will have to shorten the show a bit).

As far as Mick running about on extended catwalks etc. etc... well yeah... we would all certainly understand if he couldn't do that anymore... and there really is no absolute need. It could still be a really good show without those aspects...

But guess what... the guy is "Mick Jagger". It is a trademark and staple in his on-stage antics. He is going to do it as much as he possibly can at this age. He isn't going to refrain from it so long as he thinks he can get by with out it halting the show or wearing him out too much.

As far as Springsteen and McCartney go.... neither of them could handle the type of show Jagger puts on ... even for a night yesterday, or today. So comparing the two acts and speaking of how one act should be able to hang in like the other is unfair because one act is running full throttle and requires much more physical exertion.  The Stones show may be just a third shorter than either of those two....but come on man... Jagger's act requires 2-3 times the amount of energy... 

Thus, directly comparing show-time and how often they play while saying they should be basically even is unfair.

Ian

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2011 at 7:19pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #124 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:26pm
Ian Billen wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 7:12pm:

Mcartney and Jagger,  *(and even Springsteen) are night and day, literally, in the type of show they put on at a physical level. You can't compare the two. McCartney does not ...and can not... move, jump, run, wriggle, all over the friggin stage constantly. He stands or sits there and barley moves a step (now granted, a show at that age, is still impressive... he sings and plays his instruments all during which is taxing in itself and McCartney's three hour show consisting of 35-36 songs.. is "truly impressive".. I am surprised he can still pull that off and it's a marvel he does it...geesh... dudes basically 70 and he is putting on a strong three hour show..).

Jagger doesn't stop moving, prancing and dashing all around. (He won't want to so much lessen his athleticism as much as he will have to shorten the show a bit).

As far as Mick running about on extended catwalks etc. etc... well yeah... we would all certainly understand if he couldn't do that anymore... and there really is no absolute need. It could still be a really good show without those aspects...

But guess what... the guy is "Mick Jagger". It is a trademark and staple in his on-stage antics. He is going to do it as much as he possibly can at this age. He isn't going to refrain from it so long as he thinks he can get by with out it halting the show or wearing him out too much.

As far as Springsteen and McCartney go.... neither of them could handle the type of show Jagger puts on ... even for a night yesterday, or today. So comparing the two acts and speaking of how one act should be able to hang in like the other is unfair because one act is running full throttle and requires much more physical exertion.  The Stones show may be just a third shorter than either of those two....but come on man... Jagger's act requires 2-3 times the amount of energy...  

Thus, directly comparing show-time and how often they play while saying they should be basically even is unfair.

Ian

Than Springsteen? Utter rubbish.

And Jagger HAS toned his stage performance down from 1989 onwards. Prior to that he was invariably breathless as he spent more time running around than singing. As a result, he's technically be able to SING better since then, even if some people prefer the 'rawer' style that preceded it. Being more restrained and able to pace himself as he's got older has enabled him to last into his 60's as a top performer.

There's absolutely no reason why he shouldnt be able to do that even more when he's approaching 70. There's more to being a great entertainer (which he is) than simply running around wiggling his arse.

You're also overlooking the fact that actually performing and playing an instrument for three hours IS pretty taxing, even if you're not running all over the place.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:39pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)