Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Is it fair to expect another tour? (Read 9,527 times)
Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Re: Is it fair to expect another tour?
Reply #50 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 7:16am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 4:44am:
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 10:07pm:
Back to Vegas for a minute...The MGM GRAND holds about 17K...city...consider it a ROCK n ROLL STIMULUS PACKAGE!!!

Err, but the Stones are not a Vegas band – they are a London band who just happened to have it big stateside. If they were to do a series of shows anywhere, then it would have to be in the city where they were founded.

The glitz, tackiness and sheer bad taste of Vegas may suite Elton-and-co, but not The Rolling Stones.

If they want to do "residencies" I suggest towns like Butte, Omaha and Boise. You know, places where they can get massive attendance.

IP Logged

Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Reply #51 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 7:23am
Seriously, though. Can't they just scale it back and still travel around the world? I know in some parts of the world they might have to play a stadium gig but not in the States and the majority of Europe.

I mean, the arena shows were just so much better on "Licks" and ABB (at least from my point of view). Better sound, more intimate (or as intimate as possible).

Eh, whatever..... Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Alcoholic Cunts Like Knives

Reply #52 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 7:33am

stones arent a vegas band as some one has said, and i have to agree, and considering their age, as someone else posted, 62 - 69 i think it was, this is most likely going to be the last 'big' one, if not the last one altogether

ive been trying to think of what they can do - although the thread title; is is fair to expect another tour? has been getting me thinking, just because we're fans doesnt mean we deserve them to go through the shitty stuff of a tour, granted the playing to thousands every night is a plus side, there are alot of bad things to go through

but ive been thinking of what they can do,i read recently that the whole U2 360 thing hasnt been doing too well, critically, so i think that'll free up the ego thing, as in theres no competition if bigger bang was the last great 'giant' tour kinda thing

but ive been thinking of a residency kinda thing for the stones, and it doesnt work, but ive also been thinking alone the lines of a long tour, more like two or three medium to large tours wrapped together as the big ''farewell'' tour, but i cant see this happening because the stones dont want to finalise anything, theyre not that kinda band, i dont think their egos, and rightly so, could say, "yeh thats it, 50 years, we're done" - i think theyd rather leave all the fans desperately wanting another tour until one of them passes, that'll be the only end; as keith has said.

but if been thinking of a blend of the two almost, as in, they play short residencies, say three to five gigs, in one place in one town, for example say 5 nights in london then 3 nights in scotland or northern england, the threen nights at the 02 arena in dublin, or croke park or something, then over to the equivalent in barcelona or madrid, or both, then paris etc etc, and it would be a 'come to them' situation, in large enough venues, but in different countries, as a large farewell tour, not explicitly known as the farewell tour - as they've taglined the last couple tours - but just a general consensus of this is the last one

and it would be a world tour, would be long im sure, like ive said almost like two or three tours, kinda like ABB with a two leg tour thing, maybe three or four years

something like that i can imagine, but i dont know if its feasible, or if they'd want to do it, but ABB was huge, they maybe able to top U2, but can they top themselves?

also, i was wondering, wouldn't universal also be expecting a tour, i mean they wouldnt take them over without a tour, do they make money from tours?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #53 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 8:07am
i have no expectations and no desire to see them again... they quality decreased to the point where what it costs is not worth what I pay... if I expect more, then I will be dissapointed... I'll just see what happens and not think too much about it... I'm more in to their retrospective carrer and hoping for vault releases... that's where my expectations and let downs reside.

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #54 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 9:53am
Pdog wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 8:07am:
i have no expectations and no desire to see them again... they quality decreased to the point where what it costs is not worth what I pay... if I expect more, then I will be dissapointed... I'll just see what happens and not think too much about it... I'm more in to their retrospective carrer and hoping for vault releases... that's where my expectations and let downs reside.

I agree, i'm not often one to look to the past, and not the future, but they should retire and keep their dignity (or whats left of it)

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #55 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:05pm
homesickjameswilliamson wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 7:33am:
stones arent a vegas band as some one has said, and i have to agree, and considering their age, as someone else posted, 62 - 69 i think it was, this is most likely going to be the last 'big' one, if not the last one altogether

The term 'Vegas act' is as much a state of mind as it is geographical.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #56 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:37pm
I am of the mind that the best of both worlds would be a massive release of the vaults followed by an extended engagement at some venue in NYC, London, and then perhaps some other European city, and maybe Oz.

I still say that the one sticking point is going to be Charlie. He is the one that holds the Stones' touring future in check. If he says go then they go. If he says no, then we are going to be faced with the possibility of a tour with Charlie Drayton, or some other drummer behind the kit. I for one, would love to see them release the vaults and then do a long goodbye via these extended engagments with Charlie. No Charlie, no Stones imho.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #57 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 2:45pm

Quote:
qThe term 'Vegas act' is as much a state of mind as it is geographical.

i meant state of mind, though both are applicable, although i dont think they're ones to stick to one venue too long, hence the name, rolling stones

yeh, hope charlie decides to do one, although its probably not all resting on him, but im sure a bit of it is his dislike for touring, and health issues maybe, and age

though the stones without charlie are not the stones, well at least they're the stones but missing a HUGE piece, he's probably the only person you couldn't take out of the band

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #58 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:22pm
homesickjameswilliamson wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 2:45pm:
Quote:
The term 'Vegas act' is as much a state of mind as it is geographical.

i meant state of mind, though both are applicable, although i dont think they're ones to stick to one venue too long, hence the name, rolling stones

Maybe right on the sticking to one venue bit, but we're in uncharted territory now. Understandable for men in their mid 60's with questionable health issues to be reluctant to be leaving home for lengthy periods.

I dont think the band name means much at this point, do you? It was a catchy name for a blues band when they first thought of it - but the Stones now are a million light years from the blues evangelists that they were in 1962. Shit, they dont even PLAY blues songs at most of their shows now, and a sizeable portion of their audience would probably be yawning or heading to the merchandise stand if they did. 
Quote:
yeh, hope charlie decides to do one, although its probably not all resting on him, but im sure a bit of it is his dislike for touring, and health issues maybe, and age

though the stones without charlie are not the stones, well at least they're the stones but missing a HUGE piece, he's probably the only person you couldn't take out of the band

The ONLY one? Whilst I think the world of the man and wouldnt be remotely interested in seeing the Stones without him, I think its a stretch to claim that he's more indispensable than Mick or Keith.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 3:23pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #59 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 10:12pm

Quote:
I dont think the band name means much at this point, do you? It was a catchy name for a blues band when they first thought of it - but the Stones now are a million light years from the blues evangelists that they were in 1962. Shit, they dont even PLAY blues songs at most of their shows now, and a sizeable portion of their audience would probably be yawning or heading to the merchandise stand if they did.   

i know what you mean, i was playing a compilation i made of their 60s stuff, ABKCO stuff, and its astounding, every time i listen to it cant believe they even wanted to do something different, i mean, i know they went on to beggars etc, but the 60s stuff is phenomenal, i wish they'd do some of that in the future

Quote:
The ONLY one? Whilst I think the world of the man and wouldnt be remotely interested in seeing the Stones without him, I think its a stretch to claim that he's more indispensable than Mick or Keith.

i meant in terms of playing, keith, if we can be honest, isnt the greatest guitarist, anymore, Ronnie's still a good guitarist, and of course mick jagger's mick jagger, but charlie can still play and i think even if you ask the guys themselves the one person they couldnt/wouldnt want to be without - its charlie

although, they're such a tight band, even visually for non fans and fans alike, and musically that i dont think its possible to take one of them out, so its kind of a moot point anyway

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #60 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 7:10am
IMO, the Stones would have toured without Ronnie a decade ago, but if anyone were to bail out now, then it would be curtains for the band.

As for Charlie: no Charlie, no Rolling Stones

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #61 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 4:23pm
All the stones have  to do is change it UP a LIL

Ya know we All LOVE Ya

soooooo

just

PLAY

what ya Wanna.......

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #62 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 5:13pm
What if the vaults ain't all that?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #63 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 9:18pm
Some Guy wrote on Aug 2nd, 2009 at 5:13pm:

W,w,w,w,w,w,whh,WHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT. But they HAVE to be all that. Everybody says so. What the fuck?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #64 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 9:25pm

There's good stuff in the vaults from all eras of the band. There's a dif mix of Sway from the single, a dif mix of all down the line from the single, I think I'm going mad from a single, the 8 track versions from Some Girls,  a ready to be released version of Drift Away that was puled back b/c someone else was releasing the same song... There's a 12 inch version of something from the 80's never released in the CD, I'm spacing on... I'm missing some other stuff too... and the countless tons of stuff we've heard on boots... there's master tapes and mixes of alot of that stuff... this is just off my head right before bed...

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #65 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 7:58am
I was driving around yesterday and a local radio station here said that the Stones are gearing up for another tour.
Didn't give specifics or cite any sources, but it sounded as if they had some new information.

really?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #66 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:23pm
nankerphelge wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 7:58am:
I was driving around yesterday and a local radio station here said that the Stones are gearing up for another tour.
Didn't give specifics or cite any sources, but it sounded as if they had some new information.

really?

Then...did you listen to the entire 20 min commercial break leading up to the update ?!?  LOL

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #67 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:33pm

In terms of unreleased gems, whats been circulated would suggest there's nothing sensational  - but its a bit unfeasible to think that there arent great alternate takes/mixes of the likes of Gimme Shelter, Sympathy et al that we havent heard before.

Not to mention the fact that pretty much every Stones show since the early 70's has (apparently) been recorded by their sound crew.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #68 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:32pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:33pm:

Not to mention the fact that pretty much every Stones show since the early 70's has (apparently) been recorded by their sound crew.

If that is true...they should hand them over to the GRATEFUL DEAD folks who have done wonders w/ their vaults...ex/   they have figured out that on consecutive nights, monitors/speakers were about 12 inches further apart than the nite before...I am sure these days any sound engineer could figure that ( I assume...i know nothing about teat aspect of it)...but who knows...ANY clear sounding show that captures a tour is most certainly welcome in my home...just wish there were more GEMS throughout a tour...other than " ooooooo, they played "Sweet Virginia in Charlottesville"...again...ala GD...

MAN, I wish they would play FINGERPRINT FILE in DC!!!
NOW THAT WOULD BE  A GEM!!!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #69 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:51pm
I'll tell ya, the reason I go to so many Stones tribute band gigs is because they give us the dream setlists that the Stones dont give us. And it's fun. Not a substitute, just a little Stones groovin. Gotta appreciate the tribute bands who do a great job playing the rarities. I even heard Sweet Neocon, which is not one of my favorites but when I heard it live, it really rocked! 3 nights of tribute bands in Wildwood coming up soon and I'm really looking forward to that! Labor Day Shidoobee weekend 10th anniversary. 3 days and nights of Stones hilarity.  Grin

IP Logged

Boomy
Rocks Off Regular

Indiana
Reply #70 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:53am
Bitch wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:51pm:
I even heard Sweet Neocon

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #71 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 8:59am
If they DO tour again, i won't be going to see them.

Oh no wait; i will...

Like the little bitch i am  Oh no! not you again

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #72 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 8:43pm
Bitch wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:51pm:
I'll tell ya, the reason I go to so many Stones tribute band gigs is because they give us the dream setlists that the Stones dont give us. And it's fun. Not a substitute, just a little Stones groovin. Gotta appreciate the tribute bands who do a great job playing the rarities. I even heard Sweet Neocon, which is not one of my favorites but when I heard it live, it really rocked! 3 nights of tribute bands in Wildwood coming up soon and I'm really looking forward to that! Labor Day Shidoobee weekend 10th anniversary. 3 days and nights of Stones hilarity.  Grin

Thats a pretty interesting take on a tribute band...they are so often regarded as tacky and well...frustrated wanna-bes...

makes me think twice...maybe a show soon is due?!?

Do you have 1 or 2 favorites? i know the Blushing Brides are a SHIDOOBEE fave...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #73 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 9:31pm
Satisfaction is the best of the tribute bands, by far. They play the Stones better than the Stones themselves! They got it down ~ line by line, note by note, each song is perfect and played with enthusiasm and raw talent. The Rolling Stones never perform a perfect show ~ missed chords, sour notes, goofed up lyrics, etc. Yet that is exactly why I love the STONES so much, they keep on rolling over those little inconsistncies! Also, Rocks Off and Shidoobee are both filled with Stones-loving men and women. I have alot of friends on Shidoobee because alot of them are located in the NE USA so we party together at these tribute gigs. People drive a few hours just to go to a tribute band!

Satisfaction are the most talented musically.
Shattered also rock your socks off.
The GLimmer Twins are great fun.
Hot Rocks gives the dream setlists.
Mike Hunt Band has a female MICK & KEEF, and they play albums in there entirety which is cool.
Blushing Brides also have alot of talent and .
Rolling Tones are great and play 3 very nice sets, go from old to new material      
Stoners the name says it all

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #74 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:35pm
Bitch wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 9:31pm:
Satisfaction are the most talented musically.
Shattered also rock your socks off.
The GLimmer Twins are great fun.
Hot Rocks gives the dream setlists.
Mike Hunt Band has a female MICK & KEEF, and they play albums in there entirety which is cool.
Blushing Brides also have alot of talent and .
Rolling Tones are great and play 3 very nice sets, go from old to new material      
Stoners the name says it all

WHAT A FANTASTIC RUN DOWN!!! An invaluable resource for many on these boards, i am sure!!!

THANKS BITCH!!!

You rock!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)