Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The STP Thread - (aka Catch Me Up To Speed Please) (Read 9,190 times)
glencar
Ex Member

Re: The STP Thread - (aka Catch Me Up To Speed Ple
Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:26pm:
• has Voodoo lifted the ban on Appreciation Threads? I want to start at least a dozen or so when I get the time.

I don't think he ever banned "appreciation threads." That I'm aware of anyway. But then again "awareness" isn't exacty my strong suit.  Grin

For once you have self-awareness. Other gerbils could learn.

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 9:25am
Quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:26pm:
• has Voodoo lifted the ban on Appreciation Threads? I want to start at least a dozen or so when I get the time.

I don't think he ever banned "appreciation threads." That I'm aware of anyway. But then again "awareness" isn't exacty my strong suit.  Grin

For once you have self-awareness. Other gerbils could learn.

Oh. You're into gerbiling now?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 1:52pm
Uh, no. Are you into annoying stupidity - STILL?!?!?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #28 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 5:22am

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 7:29am
wow dat's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:46am

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #31 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:40am

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:59am
Starbuck wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:40am:

the plant and flower arrangements really set the mood

clearly no expenses were spared during the VH3 Era. If Eddie wanted orange geraniums, he got it.

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 12:12pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #34 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 6:46pm

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #35 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 7:50am
Starbuck wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 at 6:46pm:

http://i36.tinypic.com/debi0x.jpg" rel="gb_image[nice_pics]" title="...">http://i36.tinypic.com/debi0x.jpg" name="post_img_resize_16" alt="..." title="..." border="0" style="display:none" />

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:00pm
Starbuck wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 at 6:46pm:

^ that kid + Wolfie + Alex + a bald Roth on a Ritalin withdrawal bender = World Domination in 09

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #37 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:15pm
Like the thermographic photos of the Rolling Stones on the album cover, Emotional Rescue is a portfolio of burned-out cases and fire trails. High-contrast patterns of familiar outlines and blackened patches where the heat has burned and gone, these photographs – like pictures of corpses from some holocaust–are practically unrecognizable. As far as the music goes, familiar is an understatement. There's hardly a melody here you haven't heard from the Stones before. but then that's nothing new. Me. I'd rather be reminded of Between the Buttons by the venal, high-speed whine of "She's So Cold" than revisit "Miss You" outtakes by way of the interminable "Dance (Pt. 1)," but there are plenty of rooms available at the current memory motel.

Still, the Stones' sound is so identifiable that it's hard to remember how carefully they've developed it: the just-shrillenough blend of harmonica and sax, the similarly gruff treble in their forced high harmonies. And I should tell you about the changes. Mick Jagger sings in falsetto, someone who sounds like a bad Bob Dylan (my God. it's Keith Richards!) takes a snuffling lead vocal and special guest Max Romeo does a bird chant. But you know as well as I do that nobody talks about the musical innovations on a Stones or Dylan record unless the artists themselves have run out of things to say.

One thing's for sure: Emotional Rescue isn't the news-break that 1978's Some Girls was. The Rolling Stones haven't suddenly gone salsa (in spite of some south-of-the-border horns). Old hands haven't stepped out of early retirement to show cocky young punks exactly how best to offend, and radio censors won't have a case. In place of the ethnic and sexual slurs of the earlier LP's title tune (meant, I've always thought, as a sendup of liberal etiquette), Emotional Rescue extends an open invitation to foreigners: "She could be Roumanian/She could be Bulgarian/She could be Albanian.../Send her to me."

If the Stones have adopted a gentlemanly attitude these days, their prime concerns–sex and money – are the proletariat's, too. But when Mick Jagger is desperate enough to mail-order lovers wholesale, you can't help but wonder who's supposed to be rescuing whom. At least he has fun with the idea. "I will be your knight in shining armor," he intones at the end of the title track, sounding like a high-priced fantasy gigolo gone silly with the strain. After nearly eighteen years of well-paid nights and approximately twenty-seven albums of acted out desires, maybe these guys can't help getting lust and cash confused.

"Summer Romance" – a you've-heard-it-before, snotnosed schoolgirl version of "Maggie May"–starts out randy and ends up simply insolvent: "I need money so bad/ I can't be your mama/ I don't want to be your dad." In "Emotional Rescue," the distress that the waiting damsel feels is strictly financial ("... you can't get out/ You're just a poor girl in a rich man's house"). Even the blandly funky, mostly instrumental "Dance (Pt. 1)" pauses in mid-boogie for a couple of rich-man/poor-man jokes. Indeed, so much of this record is obsessed with having and not having that the rescue operation ostensibly taking place seems like it should be aimed at those whose emotions were exchanged for hard currency long ago.

Still, judging by Emotional Rescue's language, the Rolling Stones–Jagger and Richards at least–are feeling as vulnerable as zombies can. Never ones to be self-deprecating, they've translated that feeling into global terms. A jilted Jagger fools around (literally) with foreign affairs in "Send It to Me," proposing an energetic redevelopment program – a sort of self-help sexual capitalism: "She may work in a factory/Right next door to me." In "Indian Girl" (where the Stones meet mariachi), Central American political realities are seriously, if rather vaguely, considered: "Mister Gringo, my father he ain't no Ché Guevara/He's fighting the war in the streets of Masaya." And in the agonizingly slow blues. "Down in the Hole," the black markets, foreign zones and diplomatic immunities of modern rebellion merely become so much barbed wire in a private war of emotional imperialism: "You'll be...down in the gutter, begging for cigarettes, begging forgiveness ... / Down in the hole after digging the trenches, looking for comfort...."

You could legitimately writhe at the idea of a sleek and well-fed Mick Jagger preaching patience to a starving Nicaraguan child ("Life just goes on getting harder and harder" is the extent of his advice). But so much of Emotional Rescue seems vague and not quite real–life seen from very far away–that it's hard to take the LP seriously. Even when it comes to simple desire, the Stones act like tourists in a foreign country. "In the night, I was crying like a child," Jagger confesses in the middle of "Emotional Rescue," and his voice sounds as estranged and bewildered as the echoing horn.

People will tell you that even in the studio, the Stones have struck a nonalignment pact, entering and leaving separately on different days. Ships that pass in the night, it's said, seldom tootle in tune unless their radar is very, very good. Once, of course, the Rolling Stones' was the finest in the world. With each new album, you had the sense that they were looking over your shoulder, pointing an ironie finger at your most private fantasies. This was what made that devil pose so convincing, even to nonhallucinating brains. The Stones really did seem to have foreknowledge of our causes and concerns. And the my stique of their precognition made rock & roll seem–for a while–to be the intellectual and emotional collectivism that would rule the world.

That was a long time ago. But even two years back. Some Girls still had a good bit of impudent, anticipatory spark–or at least an experienced. I told-you-so air that was second best. With its fusion of tedneck rudeness and elegant, discofied languor (and its honking, conspicuous New York orientation). Some Girls placed itself near the front of the Old Guard. The stubborn self-respect of "Before They Make Me Run." the tough but good-humored sexual irony of "Beast of Burden" and the impeccable yet slightly melancholy arrogance of "Miss You" suggested a prime of life in which hearts and minds could survive against both power and possessions and continue to make rock & roll. These songs seemed to be saying that wit, anger and the ability to move fast would keep you alive. And Sugar Blue's harmonica gave you all the tenderness you needed.

Nowadays, Sugar Blue is buried in the mix, and there's a weird sort of powerlessness in even the funniest numbers. ("She's So Cold," "Send It to Me" and the title cut are Emotional Rescue's standouts.) Lovers leave or turn reluctant for no explicable reason. And for all the Stones' tongue-in-cheek insistence that ladies are commodities to be mail-ordered or tinkered with, it doesn't seem to make them any casier to control. ("I tried rewiring her," Mick Jagger sings in "She's So Cold." "I think her engine is permanently stalled.") Once I would have believed that such irony meant Jagger knew better, but now I think he's hoping his feelings of powerlessness will pass for cynicism.

Sometimes when I turn up the volume, looking for the connection I can't believe isn't there. I imagine that the Stones have actually died and this word-per feet, classic-sounding, spiritless record is a message from the grave. That would be the only irony that could save Emotional Rescue, the only vantage point that would explain the Rolling Stones' insulated view of wide horizons, their passionless disillusionment, their foreigner's confusion about sex, money and worldly possessions. Otherwise, unless the Stones are born again or something, I'm afraid that people won't be calling them survivors much longer

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:22pm
Emotional Rescue is the Stones most bad ass album.

Emotional Rescue snuffs its cigarette out on Exile's face.

Emotional Rescue chugs whiskey straight from the bottle then cracks the bottle over Sticky Fingers head and holds the jagged bottle to Some Girls neck and says "Back the fuck up"

IP Logged

ManzielStud
Rocks Off Regular

Cleveland OH
Reply #39 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 1:58pm
'sup sway. Dog Pound Gordon sends his love.

Things looking good for next fall. Mangini knows his shit.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 2:19pm
Saint Sway wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:22pm:

Emotional Rescue chugs whiskey straight from the bottle then cracks the bottle over Sticky Fingers head and holds the jagged bottle to Some Girls neck and says "Back the fuck up"

WTF????

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #41 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 2:21pm
ManzielStud wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 1:58pm:
'sup sway. Dog Pound Gordon sends his love.

Things looking good for next fall. Mangini knows his shit.

You will have another new coach in three years

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #42 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:13pm
Saint Sway wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:22pm:

Emotional Rescue does more before 9am then most albums do all day long.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #43 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 4:07pm
Some Guy wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:13pm:
Emotional Rescue does more before 9am then most albums do all day long.

when Beggars Banquet is reading the morning paper and seeing its children off to school, Emotional Rescue is still up partying and snorting lines off of strippers breasts

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #44 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:04pm
When the time is right, Emotional Rescue will stimulate the economy.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #45 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:50pm
Some Guy wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:04pm:
When the time is right, Emotional Rescue will stimulate the economy.

hoo hoo, hoo hoo emotional rescue package?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #46 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 10:11pm
Emotional Rescue is the redheaded stepchild to Exile. While Exile is eating Steak and Lobster. ER is nibbling on cheese and crackers....That it stole from a rat. Blank Frigging Stare
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:15am by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #47 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 3:58am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 10:11pm:
Emotional Rescue is the reheaded stepchild to Exile. While Exile is eating Steak and Lobster. ER is nibbling on cheese and crackers....That it stold from a rat. Blank Frigging Stare

indeed. i take it a step further.

while exile is filling soldier field with thousands, Emotional rescue is paying to play at hogs n honies.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 8:00am
While other albums are spinning in the front room, Emotional Rescue is out back nailing your sister.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 11:14am
The steroid era began because other albums couldn't compete with Emotional Rescue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)