Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Bigger Perspective (Read 7,165 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: A Bigger Perspective
Reply #50 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 3:00pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:31pm:
Listen, I am not saying die-hards would not like RFD more (they most likely would), I am saying that the record companies were looking for a single that could capture a little bit of the new crowd and be played on the radio and not sound dated (not that RFD sounds dated to me, it is just older grooves and may seem out of place on some radio).

Thats all I'm saying.

In A NUTSHELL:

**Releasing SOL as the very first single was definitely not about pleasing the die-hards ....the die-hards were going to buy the album anyway.

Ian

Theres only a few thousand diehards who would buy anything the Stones put out even if it consisted of Keith farting in the bath.

Its the 9-10 million people who bought the likes of Tattoo You and their most recent major release (40 Licks) but who arent that interested in the latter day Stones that they needed to get on board when promoting a new release. This song wasnt going to convince them.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Holden wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:38am:
I thought Rough Justice was the first single?? It was the first ABB song I heard on the radio.

It was RJ and SOL. RJ was the one chosen for the US and SOL elsewhere.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #52 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:13pm
USA! USA! USA!

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #53 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 5:27pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 12:09am:
I wouldn't know the answer to your first question. Mr. Perks, there is plenty of good reason The record company picked SOL first, and RFD second.

90%-95% of the time (not ALL the time) the execs (and A&R's that work for the lable) will choose the best "single" oriented, and most probable radio hit to release first.  In my opinion they were "spot on" with this choice.

Your problem with "opinions" is that you will argue against people who do this sort of thing for a living and are quite good (yes, better than probably all of us here) at picking out singles from huge masses of material and projecting the market/demographic these singles will reach.

Remember, lables pay these people good money for this. They don't do this because these folks are under qualified. They do this for a living day in day out.

Again, there is plenty of good reason SOL was chosen first. I agree with them this time.

Ian

Historically, the Stones used to always choose the first single from an album and the label would then pick subsequent singles, depending on whether they not there they thought there was a market for them. I've an interview from the 80s with Jagger where he specifically stated that.

Considering the Stones would be then obliged to make a video to promote a single, I very much doubt a band of their power would be obliged to do that for a single they didnt want released in the first place.

In recent years, EMI have had a policy of not releasing 'physical' singles from albums if they dont feel theres a market for selling a certain amount of them - theyve been doing this in the UK now for 5-10 years. If your single is unlikely to sell (I think) 5,000 copies, they wont put it out. A download single is another matter, though.

The decision of what song to put out as the first single almost cetainly isnt down to the label - its down to the band. EMI have been reluctant to put out multiple singles from Stones albums ever since Out of Control sold very poorly in 1998.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #54 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 5:43pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:31pm:
I am saying that the record companies were looking for a single that could capture a little bit of the new crowd and be played on the radio and not sound dated.

Ian

Make this statement fact, a news article an interview, anything that makes this anything more than your opinion. PLEASE, otherwise, stop acting like your opinion is fact, you can't argue opinion. And that's what you're doing...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #55 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:10pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 3:00pm:
Theres only a few thousand diehards who would buy anything the Stones put out even if it consisted of Keith farting in the bath.

Only if it was a soundboard.

Gotta draw the line somewhere...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #56 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:20pm
Gazza Wrote:

"The decision of what song to put out as the first single almost cetainly isnt down to the label - its down to the band."

Yes .."Before"... As you stated in the 1980's the band itself choosing which track on an album to be the first single was semi-plausible and occurred but only at times and only with the top of the game major acts. Almost no band (if any, unless your counting the situations in which the occasional Indy label permits such) has the privilege of which single to release first in today's day and age. Today, the record company chooses.

Those days are long gone.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:49am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #57 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:34pm
Gazza Wrote:

"Theres only a few thousand diehards who would buy anything the Stones put out even if it consisted of Keith farting in the bath."

I whole heartedly disagree.

I can almost assure you 70% of ABB sales were from Stones "fans". 70% of 2 1/2 million is quite a bit more than a few thousand...

For instance I know about twenty people who purchased ABB (10-12 are from this board alone).

All are Stones die-hards. I do not know of a single person who purchased this album that is just a casual music fan, or simply the run-in-the-mill music listener. Those people didn't buy ABB. It is the Stones fans that bought the album. Most likely the more avid Stones followers made up the lot of this albums sales versus even the average Stones casual fan who downloaded 40 Licks five years ago.

I'll ask you this:

Who do you know that is simply a casual Stones fan, or simply a standard music listener that went out and bought it, or obtained it via a purchased download?

Ian

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #58 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 9:12pm
Holden wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 7:05pm:
Gazza wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:41pm:
I just wish the band's belief in the songs they had released had lasted longer than a couple of months. It certainly deserved better than that.

Yeah but with the exception of "SOL" the live versions of the Bigger Bang songs didn't rock nearly as hard as the studio versions. IMO

i thought back of my hand was terrific each time i saw it, and rj and onnya were always given prime real estate in the setlist (ie: second song deep, second song on the b stage). it seemed like the band had more faith in sol in europe, where they kind of stretched it out a bit.

re: abb
i liked it. i would have liked to see neocon and sol left off, and under the radar included. fwiw, i remember the listening party voodoo set up, and reading sol was the lead off single, and being pretty disappointed with that news - but i knew then that i was not who they were aiming with the single.

i will have to give a listen to b2b again (it has been a while since i had that one on).
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2008 at 9:14pm by macdaddy »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #59 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 2:28am
macdaddy wote:

"i will have to give a listen to b2b again (it has been a while since i had that one on)."

Although ABB runs really nicely from start to finish (perfect actually), it also does very well on shuffle mode.

ABB was like having great songs from Dirty Work, Undercover, one or two from Some Girls, and a few from Exile in which we never heard before.

After I heard it I was thinking it was like hearing great tracks from those albums in a dream that did not exist. Then waking up and thinking, man those were good tunes...wish they were real.

Only ABB made that a reality.

Bridges is an album that is a start to finish listener. It doesn't do well on shuffle mode to me. Voodoo can go either way.

That's my two cents-

Ian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #60 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 6:31am
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:34pm:
Gazza Wrote:

"Theres only a few thousand diehards who would buy anything the Stones put out even if it consisted of Keith farting in the bath."

I whole heartedly disagree.

I can almost assure you 70% of ABB sales were from Stones "fans". 70% of 2 1/2 million is quite a bit more than a few thousand...

For instance I know about twenty people who purchased ABB (10-12 are from this board alone).

All are Stones die-hards. I do not know of a single person who purchased this album that is just a casual music fan, or simply the run-in-the-mill music listener. Those people didn't buy ABB. It is the Stones fans that bought the album. Most likely the more avid Stones followers made up the lot of this albums sales versus even the average Stones casual fan who downloaded 40 Licks five years ago.

I'll ask you this:

Who do you know that is simply a casual Stones fan, or simply a standard music listener that went out and bought it, or obtained it via a purchased download?

Ian

I know quite a few, actually.

However, I specifically said "diehards" - not "fans". And this board - and others - are a reflection of the more fanatical end of the fan spectrum. We're not and never will be a microcosm of the sort of people who make up the average 21st century Stones audience or who buy the latest Stones album.

Buying a band's latest album does not make you a 'diehard'. If thats the case, then I must be a diehard fan of about 200 different artists.

I think something like twice as many people saw the Stones on their last tour as bought the album they were touring behind. If you look at the US statistics as a barometer, over 2 million people bought tickets (at an average of $167) yet only half of that amount of people bought A Bigger Bang (which costs, what, $15?). In 2005-2007 - the 3 year timeframe for the last Stones tour - their back catalogue shifted a total of 3 million copies in the United States. In three years. Thats definitely underachieving for a band that can attract a huge amount of revenue from their concerts. Especially when you take into account that Billboard estimates of their total album sales in the United States is something approaching 70 million.

The logical conclusion to draw from all that is that a large % of people who think nothing of paying large sums of money to watch the Stones in concert are not only NOT diehards, but barely buy an average of just over one Stones album (including the new one) every year.

Speaking as someone who's been collecting Stones material avidly for 25 years and who does something similar for a couple of other artists too, the proportion of Stones fans who I'd define as 'diehard' is decreasing. Even more so when compared to other acts who maybe dont sell as many records or as many concert tickets. We're all getting older and fans who have dropped out are not being replaced by a 'new' base of hardcore fans because the Stones dont release a lot of new material, have ignored their archives (something which has introduced  a lot of people to Dylan's music for example as well as rekindling the interest of people who were losing interest) and because their ticket prices arent going to attract new fans.

It speaks volumes to me that approximately a quarter of the shows on the last tour - even with todays recording technology and despite the fact that many of them took place in crowds of over 50,000 people - still arent in circulation amongst collectors. Most of the missing shows - intriguingly - in the US where the ticket prices are so much higher. On previous tours, you would have expected by now to have had access to about 95-98% of the shows, with the missing ones usually being from far away outposts like Singapore or India. Strikes me from that observation that a lot of 'diehards' who would have been going to shows in the past are staying away for various reasons, and that the people who are going to the shows instead arent buying the music.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:30am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #61 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 6:40am
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:20pm:
Gazza Wrote:

"The decision of what song to put out as the first single almost cetainly isnt down to the label - its down to the band."

Yes .."Before"... As you stated in the 1980's the band itself choosing which track on an album to be the first single was semi-plausible and occurred but only at times and only with the top of the game major acts. Almost no band (if any, unless your counting the situations in which the occasional Indy label permits such) has the privilege of which single to release first in today's day and age. Today, the record company chooses.

Those days are long gone.

Ian

Havent read any interview with anyone that would suggest that. I dont believe for a second that it was EMI's choice (as opposed to that of the Stones) to have 'Love is strong' and 'Anybody seen my baby' as the lead singles from the previous two albums on the Stones' deal with them.

Especially when you see the effort and expense put into the groundbreaking videos that were shot for both of them.

'Love is strong' came out in 1994. The music industry may have changed dramatically in the last 14 years, but the Stones were still on the same contract when "Streets of Love" came out as they had been back then, so its pretty implausible that EMI would all of a sudden have been able to become the sole decision makers on what to release as a lead single. The idea of EMI dictating to the Stones that they MUST release an untypical sounding wimpy ballad as the lead single from their first album in seven years on the eve of a world tour where theyre hoping to promote their new cd is pretty laughable.

... ... ...
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #62 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 6:45am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:10pm:

Damn that Gazza has a "way with words".

Might be interesting if other "sound effects" from the bath were used too!!!!! Grin Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #63 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 6:55am
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Jul 29th, 2008 at 6:45am:
left shoe shuffle wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:10pm:

Damn that Gazza has a "way with words".

Might be interesting if other "sound effects" from the bath were used too!!!!! Grin Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I have a tape recording of Keith playing acoustic guitar and singing in his hotel room just before his wedding in Mexico in December 1983.

At one point he lets rip with two absolutely ear splitting farts, causing gales of laughter between himself and the guy in the room who was (presumably) the person recording it. It was around this point in the tape where he makes that oft-quoted expression about "five strings, two fingers and one arsehole". I always presumed this was the reason for that little aside.

Strangely, on the bootleg CD of the recording (to the best of my knowledge) his little 'special additions' were edited out.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #64 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:48am
I had a lil road trip and spun the cd recently. It is just really bad lyrics and lack of effort. 72 Mick would be humiliated.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)