Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Bigger Perspective (Read 7,163 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
A Bigger Perspective
Jul 24th, 2008 at 5:33pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hard to beleive 3 years ago I was as giddy as I was at 13 waiting for Tattoo You. Anyone else remember the electricity and excitement. Was digging through Stones disc the past few days, came across ABB. Passed on it a few times, remembered how much bashing I gave it... I remembered how much have done this to The Stones over the years with new albums.
I'm listening to it right now. I'm 4 songs in... The funk'd RFD is on...
I'm not hating on it as much... I'm really looking forward to B2B after this... That album really grew on my in the early double aughts.
I think 8-22 will be 3 years since ABB came out...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Re: A Bigger Perspective
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 5:56pm
I STILL QUITE DIG IT..NOT AS EVANGELICAL ABOUT IT AS 2005-06

UNDER THE RADAR SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE RECORD
SWEET NEOCON & LET ME DOWN SLOW OFF

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:09pm
I like the music in neo-con, and I love the harmonica intro. Jagger did a horrible job at being liberal looney, bless his heart, at least he made the point, Bush/Cheney et all suck ass and are to freedom what Yugo's are to race cars.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:11pm
oh yea, i like Under the radar alot too...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:14pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:09pm:
I like the music in neo-con, and I love the harmonica intro. Jagger did a horrible job at being liberal looney, bless his heart, at least he made the point, Bush/Cheney et all suck ass and are to freedom what Yugo's are to race cars.

HE REALLY DRIVES ME NUTS WITH HIS LYRICS..TOO MANY ARE MAILED IN AND INSIPID.

TOO ME,THEY DID SO MANY THINGS RIGHT ON THIS RECORD..BUT MOST OF THE LYRICS ARE WRETCHED :

whatapostronnie

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:19pm
I liked Let Me Down Slow.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:41pm
I listened to infamy and Look what the cat dragged in today. They both really rock. Infamy reminds me of miss you a lot.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

homesickjameswilliamson
Rocks Off Regular

Alcoholic Cunts Like Knives

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:57pm

is under the radar on a boot?i was lookn for tattoo too the other day but the links were all dead, anyone got ne good ones?

thanks

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 9:06pm
It was a solid album, shoulda stopped at track 12, but what can you do? I'm tired of reading crap like that MSN.com Top 10 of artists who should stop making music. ABB was as good as Springsteen's "Magic" (also solid, but overrated), better than Dylan's "Modern Times" (overrated, and not as good as "Love and Theft") and better than anything Neil Young has put out in 20 years.

For people who say they're no good at making records anymore, I play 'em "How Can I Stop" and say Shut the hell up, suck on your frappuccino ... and your Coldplay.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

New York
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 10:04pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:09pm:
I like the music in neo-con, and I love the harmonica intro.

Me too - reminds me of some of their late-70s NYC-themed tunes, musically anyway.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:26am
The album is very good. It is what everyone here always gripped about before it came out. Everyone wanted a stripped down, minus all the excess studio musicians, not-over produced album that rocks. ...well in my opinion they got just that.

In addition, they even did much of it at Mick's House in France. Something many had mentioned they should try doing ...which is getting together in someones house versus the carribean or some other luxurious place to do an album, like they used to without the million dollar recording affair at a major studio.

More-over, they did that too. Probably three fourths of the album was written and recorded at Micks (mixing was done in LA I believe).  Still people gripe.

People wanted an album without any "pop" influences ....they got just that.

A Bigger Bang is harder than their more recent releases, basic, direct, and rocks...without all the gloss. Just what the doc ordered in my ears.

Sure the songs are basic and simple, but that was the whole point of A Bigger Bang. It wasn't even promoted like their other albums. It was supposed to be an album to get back to basics and rock with just them playing on it. It was supposed to sound like a non-commercial affair. Period.

Thats what they did and that's what it is. I still don't get the complaining from folks.

The songs on ABB are good. The Stones sound GREAT (plenty better than I thought they could still sound), and it is solid all the way through.

I dig it.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:19am
I havent played it in ages. I might just give it a spin. I agree with Ian too. Maybe not every song is genius, but its fun and funky.

Just wished they played some more stuff of it whilst on tour.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:41pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 5:33pm:
Hard to beleive 3 years ago I was as giddy as I was at 13 waiting for Tattoo You. Anyone else remember the electricity and excitement. Was digging through Stones disc the past few days, came across ABB. Passed on it a few times, remembered how much bashing I gave it... I remembered how much have done this to The Stones over the years with new albums.
I'm listening to it right now. I'm 4 songs in... The funk'd RFD is on...
I'm not hating on it as much... I'm really looking forward to B2B after this... That album really grew on my in the early double aughts.
I think 8-22 will be 3 years since ABB came out...

The tour started on 21st August 2005.

ABB was released on 4th September (the following day in the US)

At the time, I said it was the best album theyd done since Tattoo You.  Three years later, I dont think its as good as BTB, but its still a very good album.

I just wish the band's belief in the songs they had released had lasted longer than a couple of months. It certainly deserved better than that.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:44pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:45pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:26am:
they even did much of it at Mick's House in France . . . versus the carribean or some other luxurious place 

Ian

I've never been to Mick's chateau, but I suspect it might be just a little luxurious.  Smiley

Just teasin'.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Stones Security
Rocks Off Regular

Pull it over, sickos

Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 4:48pm
I'm telling you, I know talent when I see it.

This Billen character understands nuance and insight.

He's going places, mark my words.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:17pm
Good thread, pdog. I'm glad you're coming around. I haven't played it lately but I will play it on my iPod whilst driving to tennis tonight!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:25pm
Don't forget the lube!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #17 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:51pm
>In addition, they even did much of it at Mick's House in France. Something many had mentioned they should try doing ...

eh? who said that? What difference would THAT make anyway?

>People wanted an album without any "pop" influences ....they got just that.

I seem to recall the first single being the wimpiest ballad theyve released in decades.  Roll Eyes

>Sure the songs are basic and simple, but that was the whole point of A Bigger Bang. It wasn't even promoted like their other albums.

In terms of being played live, thats certainly true.

> It was supposed to be an album to get back to basics and rock with just them playing on it. It was supposed to sound like a non-commercial affair.

said who?

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:31pm
i have not listened to a bigger bang front to back in at least 6-7 months.  the only songs i hear from that cd come from the dvd's i listen to...rough justice, back of my hand and oh no not you again.
i bought bridges to babylon second hand for something like 3.99 a couple of months ago and i have been jamming that a lot more the bb.  the 1 song i dislike from b2b is gunface...the rest, i think, are keepers.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 7:05pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:41pm:
I just wish the band's belief in the songs they had released had lasted longer than a couple of months. It certainly deserved better than that.

Yeah but with the exception of "SOL" the live versions of the Bigger Bang songs didn't rock nearly as hard as the studio versions. IMO

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:52pm
The album is not a masterprice, I think that SW, VL and B2B are better albums with better songs.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 10:31pm
Zack wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:45pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:26am:
they even did much of it at Mick's House in France . . . versus the carribean or some other luxurious place  

Ian

I've never been to Mick's chateau, but I suspect it might be just a little luxurious.  Smiley

Just teasin'.

KEEF WAS SLUMMIN IT-HE HAD TO SMOKE OUTSIDE

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:27pm
>In addition, they even did much of it at Mick's House in France. Something many had mentioned they should try doing ...

eh? who said that? What difference would THAT make anyway?

-----------------

I seen it quite a few times here. The difference is that many felt The Stones needed to get "down-and-dirty" again and quit being on vacation when writing/recording an album. None-the-less, many Stones albums were recorded through-out the years in quite nice places. It was just a notion to some some how they wanted The Stones to do another Exile style scenario. Even Keith told Mick "your turn" in reference to them doing an album as they did with Exile (Mick wanted to eventually go into the studio, until he realized Keith was right in that things were going great right there and they wouldn't need it).

>People wanted an album without any "pop" influences ....they got just that. 

I seem to recall the first single being the wimpiest ballad theyve released in decades.  Roll Eyes

SOL is radio friendly. I know that. However 90% of the album is straight ahead Rock, Blues or Funk. The rockers do not sound anything like "Don't Stop", which was poppy. It is the most non-radio friendly album they have made since ....hmmmm,  I can't even remember. ..I would say since 1976's Black and Blue (although this album sounds completely different from that album). So take one (maybe two tops) pop friendly/radio friendly songs out of 16. That is basically the ratio. More-over, it is simply not a pop oriented release at all.

>Sure the songs are basic and simple, but that was the whole point of A Bigger Bang. It wasn't even promoted like their other albums.

In terms of being played live, thats certainly true. 

> It was supposed to be an album to get back to basics and rock with just them playing on it. It was supposed to sound like a non-commercial affair. 

said who? 

Keith, Mick, and Ron very clearly when talking about how the album was to go:

Mick said he wanted a "simplistic" album that was "very hard hitting" and "direct".
Keith said the album was "screaming" at them not to over produce it and just keep it bare-bones and stripped down. So they did.
Ron said the album was sounding "earthy" when they were working on it. I suppose that means pretty down-to-earth and "real" in a recording sense ...minus all the gloss.

Simplistic, earthy, hard hitting, direct, "don't over produce me". I think that the fact that they wanted a non-commercial sounding venture has been known since 2005??? That's pretty clear and always has been.

Just look at the cover. It looks almost "boot-leggish"

Ian
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2008 at 1:33am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Marty
Rocks Off Regular

Time is on my side

paris, france
Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 4:49am
The only song I still listen to is the only one i really like : Laugh, I nearly Died...
A masterpiece IMO
Doesn't sound like any other Stones song, yet it's very stonesy. Could have been a HUGE hit.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #24 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:35am
I'll say this again. They should have released Driving Too Fast as the first tune.   I played it 2 years ago at a pool party with 30 mixed age people. No one had heard it but all thought it was an old classic and were digging it large.When I expliained they were amazed it was new.It rocks despite its basic chords etc.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)