Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Favourite Beatles LP?

Please Please Me    
  3 (5.0%)
With The Beatles    
  0 (0.0%)
A Hard Days Night    
  0 (0.0%)
Beatles For Sale    
  1 (1.7%)
Help!    
  0 (0.0%)
Rubber Soul    
  5 (8.3%)
Revolver    
  15 (25.0%)
Sgt Pepper    
  1 (1.7%)
Magical Mystery Tour    
  1 (1.7%)
The Beatles (aka, The White Abum)    
  16 (26.7%)
Yellow Submarine    
  1 (1.7%)
Abbey Road    
  14 (23.3%)
Let It Be    
  3 (5.0%)

Total votes: 60
« Created by: Honky Tonk Man on: Jun 7th, 2008 at 6:36am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Favourite Beatles LP? (Read 13,897 times)
Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Re: Favourite Beatles LP?
Reply #50 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:25am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
i think you're all missing the genious of the white album. i've seen people suggest don't pass me by, cry baby cry, even why don't we do it in the road are all filler....nothing could be further from the truth! its just that, unlike the beatles' other efforts (abbey road, pepper), the songs don't fit together like a neatly trimmed jigsaw puzzle.

the white album is more of a collection of songs than an album...but what a collection of songs it is!

revolution 9...only filler on the album. well, maybe revolution 1 as well....

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:42am
Starbuck wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:25am:
i think you're all missing the genious of the white album. i've seen people suggest don't pass me by, cry baby cry, even why don't we do it in the road are all filler....nothing could be further from the truth! its just that, unlike the beatles' other efforts (abbey road, pepper), the songs don't fit together like a neatly trimmed jigsaw puzzle.

Thats because some of them are filler!

I'm not missing it at all, but, speaking as someone who was a Beatles fan before I'd ever heard the Stones and for whom they're still my second favourite band,  I cant wait to hear how "Why dont we do it in the road" can be deemed to be a work of "genius"....
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:43am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #52 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:27pm
" I cant wait to hear how "Why dont we do it in the road" can be deemed to be a work of "genius"....   "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #53 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:54pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:28am:
Wild Honey Pie, Don't Pass Me By, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Honey Pie, Rocky Racoon, Piggies, I Will, The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill.

The above mentioned tracks are in my opinion, absoloute 100% filler. Take them away, and you are still left with a very long LP. In fact, to come out with a perfect record, there are a few others I personally, could do with out.

The genuine classics on the record, in my opinon, are...

Back In The USSR, Dear Prudance, Glass Onion, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Julia, Birthday, Yer Blues, Mother Natures Son, Everybody's Got Something To Hide..., Sexy Sadie, Helter Skelter and Cry Baby Cry.

Now thats a killer 16 track album, no?

Yes indeed it would. Some of those filler songs are a bit short which can help their case but others are a bit long. I think "Why Don't We Do it..." is good throwaway but "I Will" is not filler to me. What about "Good Night"? Bad choice for album closer and though I understand John wrote it as a lullaby for Julian, why couldn't he just have made it a B-side or put it on a fan-club Christmas record? It's a pretty treacly song. The rest are certainly among the weaker cuts of the album. Those classic songs are indeed classic but I also enjoy "Long Long Long," a really underrated, serene George song and "Revolution 1" ain't bad either. "Savoy Truffle" is a tongue-in-cheek R&B number also.

It would have made a tremendous single LP for sure. White Album would be their best, if not for the songs I have agreed with you on/added. Revolver does have "Yellow Submarine" and while I find "For No One" a bit maudlin and "Got to Get You Into My Life" a bit poppy, they're still good. But "Taxman," "Doctor Robert," "I Want to Tell You," "She Said She Said," "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" are light years ahead of the other rock music going on in 1966. "Here, There and Everywhere" is a tender, tremendous ballad while "Good Day Sunshine" provides some light-hearted pop and "Love You To" and "I'm Only Sleeping" are wonderfully acidic works. Revolver would not have been a perfect 30-track album either though.

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #54 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:33pm
on 'Why Don't We Do It In the Road":

JOHN 1972: "Paul. One of his best."

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #55 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:35pm
actually, for those that have never seen this site, it's pretty good. it's a track by track breakdown of who wrote what song in the words of the beatles themselves.

good shite!

http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/dbsongs.html

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #56 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:10am
Prodigal Son wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:54pm:
What about "Good Night"? Bad choice for album closer and though I understand John wrote it as a lullaby for Julian, why couldn't he just have made it a B-side or put it on a fan-club Christmas record? It's a pretty treacly song.

I think its an inspired choice of closer - because its such a perfect antidote to the chaos of Revolution 9 which immediately precedes it. A brilliant piece of sequencing. Beautiful song.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #57 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:13am
Starbuck wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:35pm:
actually, for those that have never seen this site, it's pretty good. it's a track by track breakdown of who wrote what song in the words of the beatles themselves.

good shite!

Excellent lookin' site. Thanks. That said, I'm sure you own Iain McDonald's 'Revolution in the Head'.

Unquestionably the greatest book ever written on rock music.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #58 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 8:33am
Gazza wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 7:32am:
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:12am:
Starbuck wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:15am:
gazza...just curious.

what off the white album would you classify as "filler"?

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Please do not go there, Bucky! Wink

Blank Frigging Stare

Wild Honey Pie  -  FUCKING RULES
Why Dont We Do It In the Road  -- RULES THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE
Long long long -- GORGEOUS
Everybodys got something to hide except for me and my monkey -- ABSOLUTELY ASS KICKING
Cry Baby Cry --  MENACING but trifling
Savoy Truffle -- KILLER
Honey Pie -- Not very good

Some of those songs arent bad by the standards of 95% of artists, but had they been recorded for any other Beatles album to that point, I'd have been surprised if they would have been included.

I know some of them are "half songs" - which is something they also used on side 2 of Abbey Road, but the ones on that album were far more effective.

Gazza wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:42am:
Starbuck wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:25am:
i think you're all missing the genius of the white album. i've seen people suggest don't pass me by, cry baby cry, even why don't we do it in the road are all filler....nothing could be further from the truth! its just that, unlike the beatles' other efforts (abbey road, pepper), the songs don't fit together like a neatly trimmed jigsaw puzzle.

Thats because some of them are filler!

I'm not missing it at all, but, speaking as someone who was a Beatles fan before I'd ever heard the Stones and for whom they're still my second favourite band,  I cant wait to hear how "Why dont we do it in the road" can be deemed to be a work of "genius"....

Strangely enough, Bucky's trio of "filler" tunes here are three of the best songs on the album.  And don't you be dissin' Revolution #1 bwah. 

Things that are genius about WDWDIITR:  Drums.  Piano.  Length.  Lyric.  That creepy ass guitar lick that comes in halfway into it.  The sinking feeling that this song is somehow "wrong".  The vocal.  To me WaaaaaaaaaaY more avant garde than Revolution #9.  Plus the Lowell Fulsom version kicks ass.

I'll take the White Album over Pepper or Abbey Road any day of the week, for exactly the fact that it's a fractured, raw, sprawling mess, rather than an over-orchestrated over-arranged over-i-dotted bit of control freakage.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 8:39am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #59 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:13am
actually nasty...i didn't say those songs were filler...i love em!

don't pass me by: best ringo yet! (except rhyming "myself" with "myself"...always hated that line.)

the beatle band does a rawkin' stompin' version of why don't we do it in the road, too....one of my favorite tunes to play, actually.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #60 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:35am
Gazza wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:13am:

good shite!

Excellent lookin' site. Thanks. That said, I'm sure you own Iain McDonald's 'Revolution in the Head'.

I was going to mention the MacDonald book Gazza when you cited Long Long Long as filler.  He loved it, saying "at last, the real George," having not cared much for While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  

(Strangely, he also didn't like Across the Universe at all either).
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:29pm by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #61 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:39am
Starbuck wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:13am:
actually nasty...i didn't say those songs were filler...i love em!

don't pass me by: best ringo yet! (except rhyming "myself" with "myself"...always hated that line.)

the beatle band does a rawkin' stompin' version of why don't we do it in the road, too....one of my favorite tunes to play, actually.

I got that, Bucky - but I posted my second-tier commentary before I got into the second page of this thread, so I didn't see that others had been dropping filler charges on these tracks before you stepped up in defense. 

You realize that this is a very rare proposition, me stepping up to defend Beatles tracks . . . but I lucked into a mono White Album a few years ago and it was a revelation for me - their most rock and roll post Pepper platter.

Dear Prudence in MONO  = HEAVEN!

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #62 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:59am
Nasty Habits wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:39am:

You realize that this is a very rare proposition, me stepping up to defend Beatles tracks . . .

c'mon nasty...be a man! most of the people around here are beatles fans too....just too chicken to let their freak flags fly, so to speak.

Quote:
Dear Prudence in MONO  = HEAVEN!

my god....let's put that on a tshirt....we could make millions.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #63 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:21am
Starbuck wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:59am:
Nasty Habits wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:39am:

You realize that this is a very rare proposition, me stepping up to defend Beatles tracks . . .

c'mon nasty...be a man! most of the people around here are beatles fans too....just too chicken to let their freak flags fly, so to speak.

Quote:
Dear Prudence in MONO  = HEAVEN!

my god....let's put that on a tshirt....we could make millions.

I don't know if it's because I ate breathed and slept Beatles in my early teens to the point of OD, or if it's because of the throw-them-in-my-face every three years marketing machine phenomenon, or my contrarian nature, or if because of my profession and in our culture in general they are just so ubiquitous that I can no longer stand them, or if I genuinely think the music is seriously slicked up to the point of fakeness, but listening to most of Sgt. Pepper or side two of Abbey Road or a lot of those late-period singles makes me feel queasy and gross.   

But I do have it all.  In pretty nice vinyl editions.  Including clean copies of most of the good US 45s, which are vastly sonically superior to the available CD analogs.  So there is that.  Do I ever listen to their music voluntarily?  Rarely.  But I'm not likely gonna get rid of my I Feel Fine, Day Tripper or Ticket to Ride 45s any sooner than I'll get rid of my 19th Nervous Breakdown. 

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #64 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:06am
Magical Mystery Tour is very underrated, sure its not a 'proper' album because it has stuff like Strawberry Fields on it and its a movie sountrack, but songs like Baby You're A Rich Man and I am The Walrus are top notch, although you could argue that Flying and Blue Jay Way is 'filler', but IMO Flying is their best instrumental for pure fun.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #65 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:26am
that the beatles are ubiquitous is not a reason to dislike them. however, if you've been beatled out, that is a reason not to listen to them. just remember, the music is just as fresh and real now as it was when you were a teenager.

i got zeppelined out. and doorsed out too. and a ton of other bands. i can't listen to a zeppelin song now without breaking out in hives, despite the fact that i think they were one of the greatest and most influential bands ever. do they suck? no. but i still can't listen to them. maybe in 5 years or so.

except black dog. i've always hated that goddamn song.

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #66 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:01pm
Starbuck wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:26am:
that the beatles are ubiquitous is not a reason to dislike them. however, if you've been beatled out, that is a reason not to listen to them. just remember, the music is just as fresh and real now as it was when you were a teenager.

i got zeppelined out. and doorsed out too. and a ton of other bands. i can't listen to a zeppelin song now without breaking out in hives, despite the fact that i think they were one of the greatest and most influential bands ever. do they suck? no. but i still can't listen to them. maybe in 5 years or so.

Bucky..I am with you on this one.

"I can't listen to Zep anymore either.  Nausea ensues.  The Doors only in small doses.  And the Beatles..well they don't have any place in my iPod either.  And if a song comes on my iTunes on shuffle, I immediately skip it...

Overdose or just plan sick of it.  I'm not sure.  Last time I tried to listen to the Beatles was with that "Love" CD.  I think I managed to get through it once.

But if your band ever comes to Ohio..I'll come and see ya! Wink Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #67 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:19pm
I'm pining for the fjords...

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #68 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:19pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:01pm:
But if your band ever comes to Ohio..I'll come and see ya! Wink Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

thank you for your support!

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #69 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:46pm

Disagree - having something repeatedly shoved down your throat is a very valid reason for developing a distaste for it.  And over-exposure actually does lead to spoilage.  While I would never deny anyone the joys of discovering the structural and melodic pleasures of the Beatles catalog, for me the perfectionist tendencies of their "great works" are actually opposed to "real music".

And Black Dog fucking rocks.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #70 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:30pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:46pm:
And Black Dog fucking rocks.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #71 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:52pm
Bucky?

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #72 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:13am:

good shite!

Revolution In The Head is outstanding. It was bought for me when I wa 15 and I still read it ten years on. I'm always finding new things in it.

Its an absolute MUST!  Smiley

IP Logged

jdlaw
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #73 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:01pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:01pm:

Bucky..I am with you on this one.

"I can't listen to Zep anymore either.  Nausea ensues.  The Doors only in small doses.  And the Beatles..well they don't have any place in my iPod either.  And if a song comes on my iTunes on shuffle, I immediately skip it...

Overdose or just plan sick of it.  I'm not sure.  Last time I tried to listen to the Beatles was with that "Love" CD.  I think I managed to get through it once.

Hail Hail to Michigan, and long live the Beatles/Led Zeppelin/the Doors!!  Music doesn't get better then those three. Now go knit Jim Tre$$el another gay sweater vest   Grin   Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:23pm by jdlaw »  

IP Logged

jdlaw
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #74 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 6:11pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:52pm:
Bucky?

Sniff Sniff.  Whats that smell?  Oh yeah, I know.  It's a few Rolling Stones fans jealousy of the supperior Beatles.  That's comming from a BIG Stones fan, too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)