Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"It’s The Singer, Not The Song" Brown Sugar and other things by Bill German (Read 332 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
"It’s The Singer, Not The Song" Brown Sugar and other things by Bill German
Apr 17th, 2024 at 7:36pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
What a great reading!!

https://www.billgerman.com/blog

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: "It’s The Singer, Not The Song" Brown Sugar and other things by Bill German
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 1:26am
Truly a great read about the entire BS controversy, tbh he sums up there what I've been thinking all along! I've always assumed that Mick was maybe kinda a bit influenced by cancel culture in his decision to not play BS anymore but I also thought his main motivation to drop it is because of Karis and her kids, I mean they're at an age now where they'd probably question that (influenced by not only being part black themselves but also cancel culture and Black Lives Matter) and in return make Mick question it as well, even if I also agree with what Keith said about the song in that 2021 interview, but more recently Keith also has pointed out multiple times that he just let's Mick decide on setlist because as Bill German also so correctly pointed out, Mick is the one who has to sing the songs, so yeah...it's quite obvious tbh...if you don't listen to the lyrics it's a very fun song to hear live but well, Mick has to sing them

Funnily enough when getting to hear BS in 2018 (for some reason I don't remember it from my first show in 2017) I listened to the lyrics too closely amd didn't like it and the morning after the show even had a random chat about it with some other Stones fan at the hotel while checking out xD but last year when seeing some Stones cover band, I really enjoyed listening to BS because it's just such a nice dance song and really fun, I even recorded them play it here

But when during the upcoming tour they hopefully play WWW and Mess it Up and that's enough dance songs and we don't need BS then to tick that box on the setlist  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2024 at 1:28am by ronnie-woody »  

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 10:22am
Excellent read

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 3:40pm
Whereas in 'Sympathy for the Devil' and 'Midnight Rambler' they're not remotely pointing out any horrors of glorifying Satan, rape or murder..... Roll Eyes

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 9:01am
I remember Charlie saying in an interview that he got tired of playing BS by the end of a tour. At the time I thought he probably meant that he got tired of playing the same old songs, but now I wonder if he didn't mean BS specifically. He didn't seem to like discrimination, did he?

If only the guys had left slavery out of the song and just made it about interracial sex-- still a big deal to some people, trite as it may seem to others nowadays.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:39pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2024 at 3:40pm:
Whereas in 'Sympathy for the Devil' and 'Midnight Rambler' they're not remotely pointing out any horrors of glorifying Satan, rape or murder..... Roll Eyes

You say “glorifying Satan” like it’s a bad thing.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 1:32am
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:39pm:
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2024 at 3:40pm:

You say “glorifying Satan” like it’s a bad thing.

Grin Grin

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 4:50pm
Freya Gin wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 9:01am:
If only the guys had left slavery out of the song and just made it about interracial sex-- still a big deal to some people, trite as it may seem to others nowadays.

If you listen to Did Everybody Pay Their Dues, you can hear that MJ was out to launch a piss-take on race issues in America.

At about the same time, McCartney satirized both US and UK race problems in abandoned songs like White Power and Oh, Enoch Powell, and in the original Get Back lyrics.  MJ just hit on the most danceable, radio-friendly formula in what was always going to be a borderline acceptable endeavor.  The message now seemed to be that slavery brought us hot black chicks, set to musical mannerisms out of Jackie Brenston or early Ike Turner.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2024 at 6:47pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 8:11pm
Love the top of the pops Brown Sugar video 1971

IP Logged

Goo
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 8:14pm
With Trevor Lawrence on sax on playback ing  track live jagger vocal

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 4:47pm
andrews27 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2024 at 4:50pm:
Freya Gin wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 9:01am:

If you listen to Did Everybody Pay Their Dues, you can hear that MJ was out to launch a piss-take on race issues in America.

At about the same time, McCartney satirized both US and UK race problems in abandoned songs like White Power and Oh, Enoch Powell, and in the original Get Back lyrics.  MJ just hit on the most danceable, radio-friendly formula in what was always going to be a borderline acceptable endeavor.  The message now seemed to be that slavery brought us hot black chicks, set to musical mannerisms out of Jackie Brenston or early Ike Turner.

I understand but, as they say, it aged like milk. Unfortunately, most people don't get that and even among those who did, they don't seem to remember. I guess the real problem is that it's still a damn good song-- except for that one thing.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

ronnie-woody
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 1:06am
I wondered back when they stopped playing it whether Mick could just twist and change the lyrics a bit like he did for Under My Thumb in the 90s but I guess if he ever would have considered to do so, then it would have had to be decades ago already and not now, so that train has left...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)