Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print
RIP Charlie 1941 - 2021 (Read 26,318 times)
Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: RIP Charlie 1941 - 2021
Reply #175 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 5:58am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I find that I cannot listen to any Stones music.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #176 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 7:55am
Charlie Watts showed us how a man could be – cool, modest and always classy

Barbara Ellen

In the ego-riddled world of rock’n’roll, the Rolling Stones drummer was the model of a grown-up

Sun 29 Aug 2021 08.30 BST

I was fortunate enough to meet Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones drummer who died on Tuesday, interviewing him in 2000 for one of his beloved jazz projects. In the interview, I managed to call George Harrison “the bass player of the Beatles”. Still, I got some things right, writing: “Charlie’s the Stone who is so universally well liked that he commands instant respect without trying.”

It soon became apparent when his death was announced that the response was about honouring a great musician – the rock’n’roll legend, the lifelong jazz aficionado – but also a lot more. There was the standard emotional outpouring, the shock and dismay, that sense of grief-ownership that hits you: “Oh no, not Charlie!” However irrational such feelings are (Watts was 80, not 20), it nevertheless stings when one of “your own” artists takes their final bow. But something else was noteworthy: the reaction, immense and heartfelt, was also courteous, genuine, adult.

There may have been some fetid corners of the online world mired in denigration but it struck me that this was one of the most uniformly respectful and gracious mass reactions to a celebrity’s death; it felt as if the entire internet was making an effort to behave itself. Which made a funny kind of sense: this, after all, was Charlie Watts – not just a gentleman, but also the consummate grown-up in the kindergarten of rock’n’roll. Watts’s fine musicianship can be taken as read: the pristine timing, the self-possession, the swing, the spark that expensive equipment can’t buy. You get the sense that he wasn’t just admired by other musicians, he was studied, like an unofficial degree course. Fellow drummers haven’t been paying homage to him in platitudes – they’ve been going deep into detail, the small print of professional respect.

Still, Charlie’s appeal went beyond music. Here was a rarity: someone who was 100% his own man. Someone who knew exactly who he was when he first joined the Stones and continued to know right to the end. No small feat after a lifetime in the rock business, well known to be a raging bin-fire of towering egos, lost souls and not a little fragile masculinity. And you could probably at least triple that madness and pressure for the Rolling Stones.

Against this backdrop, Watts was always going to stand out, with his elegant bespoke suits (the odd dodgy oversize lapel aside, it was a hard no to the hippy tat in which the other Stones were often festooned), those abiding jazz passions and, bar a druggy interlude in the 1980s, that personal credo of reserve, courtesy and abhorrence of rock’n’roll excess and cliche. This included staying happily and faithfully married to wife, sculptress Shirley, for nearly 60 years.

This was a singular kind of man, increasingly uncommon, not just in music, but in life – exuding an old-fashioned kind of decency, marinating in charisma. Dated would be the wrong word: timeless.

The key to Watts keeps coming back to his strength of character, a stubborn refusal to be anything other than himself. Rebelling against society alongside your tribe is one thing; a refusenik rebelling against his tribe (with suits, jazz projects and the rest) is more interesting and complicated. Sometimes, there seemed to be an element of cultural social distancing in how Watts dealt with the Stones, the impression that he clocked on and off in a “day job” in the most celebrated rock band on Earth, that he was a Stone with a small-case “s”, whose hinterland lay elsewhere.

Then again, perhaps this was overplayed. Lord knows, Watts stuck out the Stones madness for all those decades, so to borrow 1960s parlance, he must have “dug it”. (It was also, of course, a well-remunerated gig.) He told me and many others that he was proud to be in the band. It could be that Watts just didn’t want to get sucked in, to the point that he wouldn’t be able to get out again. That individualism again, whatever the pressures or the cost. As the infamous tale has it, Mick Jagger once drunkenly phoned Watts, demanding: “Where’s my drummer?” and Watts put on his suit, went to see Jagger, punched him and said: “You’re my singer.”

Watts, the trained graphic designer, knew when to draw a line, how to stand up in a world of mega-ego and misbehaviour and say: “I don’t need this gig that much.”

What are these rare men about? There’s always the danger when somebody dies that secrets start scuttling out, like insects at a picnic, but I hope not in this case. This isn’t just about the music business; we live in a world that increasingly caters to access-all-areas swipe left/swipe right-style self-gratification. Women, especially, may feel that they live in a world of not enough decency, not enough Charlies.

Can the Stones carry on without him? The short answer is: they already have. They’ve brought in a replacement drummer, Steve Jordan, for the latest tour, with Watts’s blessing before he died, and they’re now saying that they’ll continue to tour in his honour. Can it truly be the Rolling Stones without Charles Robert Watts? Over the years, all the Stones brought something to the party, but Watts contributed one of the most difficult and precious things of all: class. RIP, Mr Watts. No wonder the internet behaved itself.

Barbara Ellen is an Observer columnist

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/29/charlie-watts-showed-us-wh...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #177 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 12:57pm
The Stones' Carnaby Street store closed in the wake of Charlie's passing. Here's an AP report from today.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #178 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 1:03pm
A bit sobering to watch this now. The conclusion and final bows from the last Stones show to date on this day in Miami two years ago  Cry  

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2021 at 1:04pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
Reply #179 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 2:28pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Aug 29th, 2021 at 5:58am:
I find that I cannot listen to any Stones music.

I have been listening the Stones and Charlie, I'm still sad, cannot concentrate, took some days off

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #180 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 4:27pm
Did anyone else find If You Can't Rock Me a strange choice for the tribute song? Maybe there is something on the inside about the song, but to an outsider, the refrain is a little odd: "if you can't rock me, somebody will"

Waiting on a Friend may have been obvious, but with Sonny Rollins on there, would have made more sense.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #181 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 4:35pm
The Wick wrote on Aug 30th, 2021 at 4:27pm:
Did anyone else find If You Can't Rock Me a strange choice for the tribute song? Maybe there is something on the inside about the song, but to an outsider, the refrain is a little odd: "if you can't rock me, somebody will"

Waiting on a Friend may have been obvious, but with Sonny Rollins on there, would have made more sense.

Listen to the first 2 lines...it will make sense

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #182 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 8:55pm

Charlie by Rufus with thanks to Howell J. Malham Jr.

Ode To Another High Flying Bird
In Memoriam of Charlie Watts

Howell J. Malham Jr.
4 hours ago·9 min read

https://howell-5462.medium.com/ode-to-another-high-flying-bird-6c590d91559a

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #183 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 8:57pm
The image is the same but are two cuts and different sizes

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #184 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 9:32pm
Let's not get tooo miserable as sin, or synth, please
"I'm simply dying for some thrills and spills. Hoh yea'.'

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #185 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 10:28pm
Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2021 at 10:37pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #186 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 3:57am
there doesn't seem to be any info about his funeral .
not that i necessarily need a full report with pictures,
but it would be nice to know when it is/was ...?

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #187 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 10:22am
Doubt its happened yet and I'd imagine it would be a private event, maybe with a memorial service later. With the band in the US and with covid regulations as they are, I'd be surprised if any of them would be able to attend the funeral.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #188 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 10:35am
The IORR thread about this topic (funeral arrangements) is infuriating...some of those maniacs are just so classless, invasive and < fill-in the next word >...truly...there's even a debate as to whether Charlie was Jewish and if he will be cremated or not...as if THEY have ANY inside info on those decisions/arrangements...I feel like punching some faces over there...

I don't know why I keep going in there, clearly, knowing it will make my head explode...maybe my insecurities are coming back up...need to discuss with my shrink...

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2021 at 10:38am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #189 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:28am
As Stones fans we are all trying to figure out this crazy world and now we have to do it without our drummer.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #190 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:43am
Some Guy wrote on Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:28am:
As Stones fans we are all trying to figure out this crazy world and now we have to do it without our drummer.

^^^ This just made me fall apart ^^^

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #191 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:51am
This forum has only had two names: "ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board" and "ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board", because we consider without any doubt the importance of Charlie in the band and not only as a musician. Today is exactly the 20th anniversary of a concert I organize with  Mick Taylor, my plan was to put a header of a picture of that day with a link to a premiere of one of the songs played... but babies... it's so hard to put a non-Charlie header, not the moment…

RIP Charlie, I miss you

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #192 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 1:12pm
Holden wrote on Aug 29th, 2021 at 3:42am:
I can't imagine how painful it must be to prepare and gear up for this tour after losing Charlie. You've just lost a best friend who was always there right behind you and now you gotta go on stage without him in front of thousands expecting you to entertain them have fun and act like everything's just fine...

I hope our boys are hanging in there.

Holden... that was very touching, agree 100%; I can't imagine how they are going to handle that and specially the way they are going to make a tribute to Charlie

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #193 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 2:10pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 28th, 2021 at 12:58am:

This one!  Jesus fucking Christ, I'm as bad as my 85 year old dad.  Sorry, I don't hang out on the internet much anymore.  I'm a retardical in that regardical.

Charlie Watts!

Nice to see we are circling the wagons.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #194 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 4:08pm
New tweet from Ronnie. He is clearly in pain. I still can't believe that he's gone.

https://twitter.com/ronniewood/status/1432782229151825928?s=20

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #195 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 6:23pm

With thanks to タイザン / TAIZAN

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #196 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 7:39pm
It's astonishing that Charlie's gone forever and the rest of the band has not had enough time to grieve this terrible loss. How is MICK going to be waving and dancing and yelling "are you feeling good?" I don't think we are ready to hear that phrase quite yet. I have tickets to Nashville, Tampa, Vegas and Detroit.  I'm going, even though I feel terrible about it. I might even cry and get all emotional the first time I see them without him. Instead of feeling good, I might actually feel bad. But if they can go on,  I guess I can too. 

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #197 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 2:09am
Though it won't stop feeling immensely sad, I keep thinking these past few days what a wonderful life Charlie had. Full of unique experiences, good friends, doing what he loved, seeing the entire world, having a loving family. It doesn't make it easier, but it's still good to know he's had such a fulfilling time on this plane of being. I think it's what anyone would want.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #198 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 4:29pm
The great Kenny Aronoff on Charlie Watts, with a great story at minute 1:24.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #199 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 6:19pm
Fabio sent three artworks for Charlie the other day and one today, they will be headers but in the meantime heree they are in big size

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)