Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
RIP Charlie 1941 - 2021 (Read 26,284 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: RIP Charlie 1941 - 2021
Reply #225 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 6:27am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
WATTS FUNERAL WOE

Rolling Stones miss drummer bandmate Charlie Watts’ funeral due to Covid restrictions

Stephen Moyes Simon Cosyns
22:00, 13 Sep 2021

THE funeral of Rolling Stone ­Charlie Watts took place last week — without his bandmates present.

Sadly, Sir Mick Jagger, 78 Keith Richards, 77, and Ronnie Wood, 74, were not able to attend the small private ceremony in Devon.

Because of Covid restrictions, they were forced to stay in Boston where they have been rehearsing for the Stones’ rescheduled US tour.

It starts on September 26 in St. Louis, Missouri.

Respecting the wishes of his family, Watts’ secret funeral took place with the minimum fuss, in keeping with the 80-year-old drummer’s character.

An insider said the Stones would pay tribute to their fallen bandmate at the upcoming shows and were also planning a celebration of his life later this year in the UK.

It was announced on August 5 that the drummer, who joined the rock legends in 1963, would be absent from the tour.

Over the past couple of weeks, the rest of the band have been rehearsing in the States with stand-in Steve Jordan, 64, who received the blessing of Watts.

In a statement, Watts had said: “After all the disappointment with delays to the tour caused by Covid, I really don’t want the many Stones fans in the States to have another postponement or cancellation.

“I have therefore asked my great friend Steve Jordan to stand in for me.”

Watts, who died on August 24, was married to his beloved wife Shirley for 57 years right up until his death in a London hospital. The couple had one daughter, Seraphina, 53, and one granddaughter, Charlotte, 24.

Tributes poured in from around the world. Jagger shared a photograph on social media of a laughing Watts behind his drum kit.

And Richards, who called him “the coolest guy I know,” put up a picture of a set of drums bearing a “closed” sign.

Sir Paul McCartney, 79, a member of the Stones’ chief rivals in the Sixties, The Beatles, remembered a “fantastic drummer” who was “as steady as a rock.”

Born in London as World War II raged, Watts trained as a graphic designer and eschewed the jet set lifestyle of his fellow Stones when not on tour.

He lived in Devon for many years where he owned a stud farm and was known as a natty dresser, a jazz lover . . . and, of course, an ace drummer.

Link :
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/16128811/rolling-stones-drummer-bandmate-c...

Other links to the same story this morning :

Daily Mail :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9987459/The-Rolling-Stones-forced-...

Daily Mirror :

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/charlie-watts-devastated-rolling-sto...

Daily Express :

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1490951/Rolling-Stones-Charlie-Watts-fu...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #226 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 8:03am
Would have been a media circus had the band attended anyway. Charlie went out as he wished. Still can't believe he's gone.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #227 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 2:19pm
They, undoubtedly, wanted to attend, and it's very sad that they weren't able to end, but at least his family and loved ones who were able to attend could do so in relative peace and without having to worry about being photographed and having to try to make themselves look good for a bunch of tosspot paparazzi.

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Reply #228 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 5:03pm
STONES HAIL CHARLIE The Rolling Stones will turn their iconic tongue logo black in tribute to late bandmate Charlie Watts

Simon Boyle
20:00, 14 Sep 2021Updated: 18:52, 14 Sep 2021

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/16139908/rolling-stones-tongue-logo-black-...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #229 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 5:19pm
'As well as being projected on to big screens, the new design is to be used on merchandise and around tour visuals'

Quel surprise. Who was it who described death as a great career move?  Roll Eyes

... ... ...
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #230 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 5:45pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #231 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 5:47pm
Sam is a very nice guy.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #232 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 4:06am
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:21am by Egon »  

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #233 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 3:11pm
This has been posted on the board before but it's a wonderful look into Charlie in a private setting. Some great conversation about Keith mixed in as well. Just a wonderful bit about him, Stan Levey, and Jim Keltner

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #234 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 8:08pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 14th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
'As well as being projected on to big screens, the new design is to be used on merchandise and around tour visuals'

Quel surprise. Who was it who described death as a great career move?  Roll Eyes

Seems a bit morbid.  Shit!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #235 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:26pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 15th, 2021 at 8:08pm:

Opportunistic?
They should just sell off the rest of the Charlie Watts "signed" drum sticks while they are at it.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2021 at 10:54am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #236 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 3:29pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 15th, 2021 at 8:08pm:

Bizarrely, the Sun have now pulled that story.  The link posted above by Moy is no longer available.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #237 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 3:33pm
The new issue of UNCUT (November 2021) has a 12 page tribute to Charlie with memories by the likes of Gered Mankowitz, Chris Kimsey, Kenney Jones and others as well as a great shot of him gracing the front cover

https://www.uncut.co.uk/publications/magazines/uncut-november-2021-133535/

Oddly, its not the photo shown here (which I think was used in an old issue) but a simple black and white shot with no words on the cover other than the magazine title and Charlie's signature.  Beautifully understated, just like the man himself.

... ... ...
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #238 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 4:39pm
Not crazy about Oasis or its offshoots, but this was a nice tribute:

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #239 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 3:29pm
Rolling Stones star Charlie Watts to be honoured with special tribute at Isle of Wight Festival after death
Louise Griffin
Saturday 18 Sep 2021 7:42 am

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/18/charlie-watts-to-be-honoured-with-tribute-at-isle...

IP Logged

Sailor
Rocks Off Regular

You nicked my phone

Buenos Aires
Reply #240 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 8:40pm

Hannah honey was a peachy kinda girl...her eyes were hazel and her nose was slightly curved

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #241 - Sep 20th, 2021 at 12:14pm
Pearl Jam's tribute. Minute: 11:02 and 15:45

I know that their drummer Matt Cameron is a massive Charlie fan.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #242 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 12:43pm
This bit by Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom about Charlie's drumming is outstanding:

http://billjanovitz.com/blog/?p=1799

Every player on the recording is emotionally invested in the song. This includes the stoic Charlie Watts. Charlie’s playing might in fact be the most dramatic element of the song. Look, Charlie had been on the road too. No one in the band had a more stable domestic life than he. It would be perhaps more painful for him to leave home than anyone else. All this “backbone of the band,” “just doing his job” stuff,  like he’s punching a clock, collecting a paycheck — dependable Charlie, and so on — is just all lazy cliché. All you need to hear is how Charlie chooses his entrances and exits on “Wild Horses” to understand how much of an emotional punch he lends this music. No drummer commands an arrangement like him, coming in and dropping out at just the right moments. He understands that the crack of that snare when it drops is going to hit you square between the shoulder blades and drop you to your knees. And then, almost as quickly, he drops out again, letting Mick and Keith carry that weight and open up their veins for you. And just as the singers are at their most vulnerable, who is there to pick them (and you) up? Charlie, like James Brown’s Fabulous Flames, behind him all the way.

The second time Charlie enters, he rolls the snare drum in earlier on the verse than the first time he entered, when he came in at the chorus. Now he enters at the halfway point of the verse. He leaves space, an impossibly drawn-out beat number two. A deep breath.This is Charlie at his most Zen-jazz.  How does he manage to lay out of that middle-eight section (at 3:00)? This is the most “up” part of the song. Most drummers would be pounding through that part first and foremost. But instead, counterintuitively, he waits until the next verse. The six-note drum fill going into the last chorus (at 5:07), is one of the most devastating of all Charlie’s fills. This is an emotional song – lyrics, music, and yet, Charlie’s choices are what provide the song the most drama.

The whole band, for all the egos and tension, knew when to leave the right space. No one is looking to showboat here. Bill, in particular plays no more notes than necessary, a less-is-more economy that makes the impact of the song that much more dramatic. “We want a soft warm lovely sound from you, Wyman,” Booth quotes Keith as saying. “Stop donkeyin’ about.” There is a killer note on the bass (at about 1:33,) where Bill seems to unintentionally land just below the intended note and slides bluesily to match the actual note, like a soul singer would.

Despite the deep emotion of the recording, the session, as described by Booth, sounded like the musicians were having a good time, fueled by cocaine, pot, beer, and Jack Daniels. Keith made a passing observation: “Gram Parsons gets better coke than the Mafia. From some Black Panther dentist in Watts.” The band had different terms for mistakes that can kill a good take. “Clams” is a common musician term. But the Stones had a whole glossary. Ruining one otherwise good take of “Wild Horses,” Keith announced, “I accept the Golden Prune.”

“Lights out, mouths shut,” said Mick. Then they laid it down.

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #243 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 5:33pm
Patti Smith dedicates "I'm free" to Charlie during her show at the Royal Albert Hall, they closed the show with "Not Fade Away"

https://www.nme.com/reviews/patti-smith-live-in-london-royal-albert-hall-review-...

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #244 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 7:38pm
Well... Charlie asked George "George, may I have your autograph?"

Have you no fucking shame? WOW... Nice tits!

George Thorogood Recalls How Frank Zappa Behaved When They Met, Says Rolling Stones Icon Asked Him for Autograph
George also says he "completely lost it" when meeting Bob Dylan.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/george_thorogood_recalls...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Yap Yap 999
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #245 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 10:49am
Rolling Stones Say They Didn’t Expect Charlie Watts’ Illness to Be Fatal, Discuss Continuing to Tour

By Chris Willman

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/rolling-stones-discuss-charlie-watts-1235083
692/

In a new interview, members of the Rolling Stones say they thought Charlie Watts was recovering from illness and would eventually rejoin them, even after Steve Jordan was announced as a fill-in drummer for their current tour as Watts seemingly convalesced in the hospital.

“We watched horse racing on TV and just shot the breeze,” guitarist Ron Wood told the Los Angeles Times of being the last member to visit Watts in the hospital, a few weeks before the drummer’s Aug. 24 death. “I could tell he was pretty tired and fed up with the whole deal. He said, ‘I was really hoping to be out of here by now,’ then after that there was a complication or two and I wasn’t allowed back. No one was.”

Wood told the newspaper that the hospital room Watts ended up in was the same one where he’d been treated for cancer in 2000. “We call it the Rolling Stones suite,” Wood joked. The exact nature of Watts’ affliction still hasn’t been publicly revealed, but the Times article says the group believed Watts was “on the mend after an earlier medical procedure.”

Keith Richards had little to say about Watts’ death in his part of the interview: “I’m still trying to put it together in my head. I don’t think I can be very erudite on Charlie at the moment.”

The Stones are back on tour, with upcoming shows including two nights at L.A.’s SoFi Stadium on Oct. 14 and 17, following the resumption of their long “No Filter” tour Sept. 20 — their first gigs since August 2019, when Watts was still on board, and the pause in touring was expected to be a far shorter one.

Mick Jagger scoffs in the story at the idea that there are very many Stones fans who think the group should not continue on without Watts. Asked how he responds to those comments, the singer said, “I don’t, really — I think you’re exaggerating. … Maybe one or two do (think that). But I don’t think that’s a movement.”

Added Jagger, “When you’re a band for this long, it’s unlikely you won’t have any changes. Of course, this is probably the biggest one we’ve had. But we felt — and Charlie felt — that we should do this tour. We’d already postponed it by a year, and Charlie said to me, ‘You need to go out there. All the crew that have been out of work — you’re not gonna put them out of work again.’ So I think it was the right decision to keep going. The band still sounds great onstage, and everyone’s been really responsive at the couple of big shows we’ve done so far. They hold up signs saying, ‘We miss you, Charlie,’ and I miss him too.”

The member discussed the state of an unfinished album that was begun prior to the pandemic, which would be their first of new material since 2005. One song from the sessions, the COVID-themed “Living in a Ghost Town,” was completed and released last year and figures into the current live setlist. Watts had put down parts for “a number” of songs, the story says. “Let me put it this way,” Richards said. “You haven’t heard the last of Charlie Watts.”

Read the rest of the Times interview — which also discusses how many songs they rehearsed for possible inclusion in the current tour (and the status of the not recently performed “Brown Sugar”) — here.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #246 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 1:56pm
Haven't watched it all, but this is an incredible 2 part tribute to Charlie by John DeChristopher with some of the greatest drummers alive on it (Steve Gadd, Kenney Jones, Rick Marotta, Stan Lynch, Michael Shrieve, Andy Newmark, Steve Maxwell, John Ferraro, Yard Gavrilovic, Steve Smith, Kenny Aronoff, Dave Mattacks, Chad Smith, Mickey Curry, Shawn Pelton, Clem Burke and Don McAulay (Charlie's drum tech)).

Lots of great memories and hilarious stories.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2021 at 1:58pm by The Wick »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #247 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 2:21pm
Charlie Watts: Gentleman Drummer of Rock & Roll

Michael Ingmire Michael Ingmire Send an email9 hours ago

https://politichicks.com/2021/11/charlie-watts-gentleman-drummer-of-rock-roll/

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #248 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 12:11pm

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #249 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 3:29pm
Watch Nandi Bushell pay tribute to The Rolling Stones’ Charlie Watts

"I wanted to do something really special for Charlie"
By Will Lavin
4th November 2021

This cover is for Charlie Watts. I wanted to do something really special for Charlie. This is my most ambitious cover yet. Gimme Shelter is such an incredible tune. I hope one day I get to jam with The Rolling Stones too. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood - I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)