Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ciudad Deportiva, La Habana, CUBA - March 25, 2016 - Vote, Setlist, Online Broadcast.. (Read 27,274 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Ciudad Deportiva, La Habana, CUBA - March 25, 2016 - Vote, Setlist, Online Broadcast..
Reply #75 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:19am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Ciudad Deportiva, La Habana, CUBA - March 25, 2016 - Vote, Setlist, Online Broadcast..
Reply #76 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:22am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #77 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:23am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #78 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:24am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #79 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:25am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #80 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:26am

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #81 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:52am
I wonder what prompted the change from Micawber for JJF. Is it just cause it matches his shoes?

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #82 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:33pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #83 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:43pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #84 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:43pm

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #85 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:04am

I guess they flew straight out from that show directly to the studio (no sleep .. no water.. no nothing .. straight to recording the new album) .. .. ..... ...

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

GlimmerGirl24
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #86 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 2:28am
The NY Times reports we were Periscopeless because cell service was down for Havana:

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/713874453080485888

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #87 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:08am
GlimmerGirl24 wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 2:28am:
The NY Times reports we were Periscopeless because cell service was down for Havana:

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/713874453080485888

Strange...all the BBC reports and pics came thru in real time...
besides, no one really expected any periscopes from the start...

Anyway...this non-monumental, non-epic, yet historical show is over...back to the death notices...NHL playoffs, and of course Joey!

Joey?

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:13am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #88 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 10:58am
Ian Billen wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:04am:
I guess they flew straight out from that show directly to the studio (no sleep .. no water.. no nothing .. straight to recording the new album) .. .. ..... ...

straight from your mouth to God's ear!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #89 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:47pm
Some Guy wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 10:58am:

Ha... ... in seriousness I wonder if they wrote stuff while on tour.. or how they are going to do this. The way I see it if they want it out this late fall they have about 3 months to record it and 6 weeks to mix it .. if they want this thing out in November...  (that's not a lot of time, really ...but it can be 'sufficient'.. if many things or a big portion of it is written or  is ready to go. As well they did some stuff before the tour .. or at least got a lil start on it). 

Ian
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:48pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #90 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:49am
After a shit, a shave, a sauna and a sandwich and some Sexybitionism, then presumably they will be  flat to the boards, nuts to the piled  carpet and generally balls to the wall, studio-wisey.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2016 at 1:51am by WaiteringOnAFiend »  

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #91 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 8:28am
Welcome ASS.

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #92 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 8:56am

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #93 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 9:24am
Ian Billen wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:47pm:
Some Guy wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 10:58am:

Ha... ... in seriousness I wonder if they wrote stuff while on tour.. or how they are going to do this. The way I see it if they want it out this late fall they have about 3 months to record it and 6 weeks to mix it .. if they want this thing out in November...  (that's not a lot of time, really ...but it can be 'sufficient'.. if many things or a big portion of it is written or  is ready to go. As well they did some stuff before the tour .. or at least got a lil start on it). 

Ian

Brother, this is your time to shine on!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #94 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:42am

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #95 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:12am
Interesting read on what the Stones concert really meant and will mean to Cuba.
http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article68716937.html

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #96 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:42am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:12am:
Interesting read on what the Stones concert really meant and will mean to Cuba.
http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article68716937.html

Read that  and found some interesting logic. Stones got their 7 million of course. I can see the concert as an HBO special sometime in the fall. As far as the politics Cuba not much different than China or any other dictatorship. Long way to real change for the average Joe and of course its always about the $$$

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

sebi
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #97 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 1:54pm
link to the remastered Show from Habana:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/2315f38a1f8cd0dcd495a4df56465e2120160329140...

Thanks to Cl, Keessie & coowouters and all others involved!
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2016 at 2:44pm by sebi »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #98 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 6:30am
Meet the lawyer who paid for the Rolling Stones concert in Havana

Curaçao’s Gregory Elias says the show was about having fun, not politics

By some accounts, it cost $7 million to bring the Stones to Cuba

And they STILL didn’t play his favorite song

BY GLENN GARVIN
[email protected]

Gregory Elias finished his pitch, paused, and waited for the little beep-beep-beep in his ear that would signal that the party on the other end of the telephone —Jayne Smyth, the manager of the Rolling Stones —had hung up after realizing that he was a madman. At best, he thought, he might get a shouted answer that would reveal which part of his proposal was loonier — that the Stones do a concert in Cuba (where not so long ago, listening to rock and roll was a jailable offense) or that they do it for free.

Instead, there was a long pause. “Well, that’s certainly a unique proposal,” Smyth finally replied. “Let me get back to you.”

That seemingly inauspicious and slightly weird conversation last Nov. 13 turned out to the beginning of a complicated trans-Atlantic negotiation that would eventually bring the world’s most venerable (and wealthiest) rock band to communist-ruled Havana last week for a free concert that drew, by some estimates, half a million fans.

Elias, a wealthy corporate lawyer in Curaçao who funded the concert through his charitable trust, still can’t quite believe his call to the Stones worked. “I mean, who in heaven’s name am I?” he said Tuesday, recalling the conversation. “I didn’t expect her to call back. But 24 hours later, she did. And it was a go.” Attempts to reach Smyth for comment were unsuccessful.

Because the concert took place the same week as President Obama’s historic visit to Cuba, the first by an American president since 1928, it’s been widely assumed that the timing and preparation were somehow linked. But Elias says it was all a coincidence triggered when he read the news that the Stones were launching a five-week tour of Latin American in early February.

His Baby Boomer love for big rock festivals like Woodstock, and his knowledge that Cuban officials were already searching for cultural exchanges to open the island up, gave Elias the idea to reach out to the Stones. And Elias had some connections through an annual Curaçao jazz festival that his foundation funds that has included acts like Stevie Wonder and Alicia Keys.

But until Smyth called back, 24 hours after his first contact, to say the band wanted to do it, Elias had no idea just what a complex undertaking he had launched. “When the boys — that’s how Mrs. Smyth calls them —when the boys go on tour, what they put together is completely out of this world,” he said. “It is the best and it has to be better than anything else. The production team had to start thinking how to make this possible.”

Cuba’s blighted economy barely can turn out basic necessities, much less all the gadgetry and ephemera necessary to produce the technological circus that is a modern rock concert. Practically everything, from light towers to bottled water, had to be obtained elsewhere and flown in.

The Stones themselves agreed to do the show for free, but all those suppliers had to be paid. Rolling Stone magazine reported the concert cost $7 million to stage. Elias won’t talk about the financial details — “Please don’t ask me indecent questions,” he said in a stern voice before breaking into giggles — but agrees it “wasn’t cheap” for his Fundashon Bon Intenshon to pick up the tab. (Some of the bills may be paid from sales of a DVD recording of the concert, which will go on sale later this year.)

Compared to the financial side of the concert, Elias said, the political negotiations were simple, though time-consuming. Officials of the Curaçao government helped him iron out details with the Cuban ministers of culture, finance and economics. Ricardo Cabrisas Ruiz, a vice president of the Cuban council of ministers, the country’s cabinet, was also involved in the negotiations — but Raúl Castro was not, so far as Elias knows.

What problems came up, Elias said, were less ideological than generational. “I remember one elderly gentleman —I’m not going to give you his name —who, when we started the negotiations at the governmental level, said, ‘The rolling who?’” Elias said. “He had no idea what we were talking about or who we were referring to.”

It may not seem obvious why a Curaçao charitable foundation or its attorney benefactor would spend all that time money on a free concert for Cubans, but Elias says there were no hidden political or economic motives to the concert. “I’ve never done any business there,” he said. “Never. I visited there during the 1990s, but that’s all I did, visit.”

The only agenda he had, Elias said, was to do something nice for the Cuban people, who haven’t had an easy time of it for the past few decades.

“If we consider it from a Western point of view, from the outside looking in, the people of Cuba miss a lot,” he observed. “I thought it would be nice to approach them with music. Music doesn’t create envy or animosity, it just creates love and understanding.”

Though Elias did feel one teeny, tiny spark of animosity himself during the concert. The Stones didn’t play his favorite of their songs, Far Away Eyes. It seems that even when you’re picking up the tab, you can’t always get what you want.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article68883632...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #99 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:16am
My sources tell me U2 were looking at playing Cuba but realized the Island wasn't big enough.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)