Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Universal releases planned for 2011 (Read 4,464 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: New Universal releases planned for 2011
Reply #50 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:01pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 12:51pm:
Considering I only currently own the mid-80’s CBS Some Girls CD, this forthcoming ‘Deluxe’ edition sounds wonderful.

The new Greatest Hits set intrigues me slightly. What does everyone think we’ll get? A 2-CD set that incorporates all their UK/US Top-20 hits? Or a single-disc affair that trots out the utterly predictable? I suspect the latter. 40-Licks was a Best-Of – as apposed to a straight-up ‘hits package’, so here’s hoping at least some of the hits omitted from that particular comp – Little Red Rooster, Time Is On My Side, Dandelion, etc – get the exposure they deserve.

50 year best of celebration set...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #51 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:09pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:34pm:
Some Guy wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 10:00am:
other Stones sites just don't get it! They talk about jersey shore and shit.

Really. They need to cut and paste more HuffPo...

you talking to me?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #52 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:01pm
Some Guy wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:09pm:

you talking to me?

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #53 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 10:57am:
patioaintdry wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 8:47am:
I fear 2011 Mick Jagger vocals being added to the Some Girls box.  For the love of MXR Phase 100's, leave the tracks as they were in 1977!

He's already added vocals to two that we know of, back in 1994.

"So Young" (released as a b-side) and "Fiji Jim" (still unreleased and - in it's 1994 version - uncirculated)

THERE IS A FIJI  GIN 1994 VERSION? WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THAT ! THEY DID A GREAT JOB UPDATING SO YOUNG. stu-smiling

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #54 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:33pm
Pdog wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:01pm:
Some Guy wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:09pm:

you talking to me?

This thread has taken some bizarre turns. Shocked

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #55 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 5:35pm
I'd like to get a great PMS type unheard Some Girls era tune.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #56 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 1:00am

Gazza Wrote:

"As there wont be a tour in 2011 and there's a lot of back catalogue/archive material being released this year, I think it's s safe bet to assume there won't be an album of new material in 2011."

Isn't appearing that way now is it... As you said, with all this back catalog and The bigger Some Girls re-release ....  it seems they have already marked the year with other projects. There isn't going to be a Stones album in late summer if Some Girls is coming out in September. As well .... doesn't hold much chance of an album release in October-November-December is also unlikely being as they are going to space that thing out by itself, with no other Stones related releases around in order to maximize buying potential for the new one.

Geesh .... the problem is this folks... The Stones KNOW that more than any other band on the planet, they got the industry by the nuts. Odds are their tour will be a huge success. More than any other act The Stones is going to be the safest bet for not loosing any money. As well, they know people will be looking to their next album and they can simply relax.... wait out this struggle between Cohl and Live Nation and do things whenever they please.

**The only thing they haven't got in the bag in their age. I mean geez. They seem in no worry on taking on a major tour pushing seventy years old for cryin out loud! That big opportunity, or level of success has never been realistic with other "groups" at that crazy age. Heck.... nobody's at that age anyway as far as a Rock act LOL!!!!

they simply know they got things as they want them except, god forbid, any health issues arise. I mean, Geez ....if they want to do this they should get on youd think. They are pushing seventy years old here!!!!

In a sense, it's a pretty ridiculous concept. A goup of seventy year old's going on major tour as a rock band. Only The Stones are capable of this....

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #57 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 6:59am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 at 1:00am:
Gazza Wrote:

"As there wont be a tour in 2011 and there's a lot of back catalogue/archive material being released this year, I think it's s safe bet to assume there won't be an album of new material in 2011."

Isn't appearing that way now is it... As you said, with all this back catalog and The bigger Some Girls re-release ....  it seems they have already marked the year with other projects. There isn't going to be a Stones album in late summer if Some Girls is coming out in September. As well .... doesn't hold much chance of an album release in October-November-December is also unlikely being as they are going to space that thing out by itself, with no other Stones related releases around in order to maximize buying potential for the new one.

Geesh .... the problem is this folks... The Stones KNOW that more than any other band on the planet, they got the industry by the nuts. Odds are their tour will be a huge success. More than any other act The Stones is going to be the safest bet for not loosing any money. As well, they know people will be looking to their next album and they can simply relax.... wait out this struggle between Cohl and Live Nation and do things whenever they please.

**The only thing they haven't got in the bag in their age. I mean geez. They seem in no worry on taking on a major tour pushing seventy years old for cryin out loud! That big opportunity, or level of success has never been realistic with other "groups" at that crazy age. Heck.... nobody's at that age anyway as far as a Rock act LOL!!!!

they simply know they got things as they want them except, god forbid, any health issues arise. I mean, Geez ....if they want to do this they should get on youd think. They are pushing seventy years old here!!!!

In a sense, it's a pretty ridiculous concept. A goup of seventy year old's going on major tour as a rock band. Only The Stones are capable of this....

Ian

Ian love your enthusiasm but I am not sure Stones tour is as "sure" a financial success as you seem to think. Unless they agree to take much less than ABB Tour I doubt some promoter is going to guarantee huge up front sums. Hate to say it but the only sure fire stadium winner these days is U2. Now of course if Rod Stewart and Stevie Nicks can charge $165 for arena seats Stones could get $250 I'm sure.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

IrelandCalling4
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Jolly Green Ireland
Reply #58 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 8:15am
Must say this is fantastic news; 'Some Girls' has always been one of my absolute favourite albums - still play it, or selected tracks from it, regularly. Loved the 2009 Remaster.

So many tracks have circulated from the late seventies sessions, so to get these (and maybe some that even collectors don't have) in even better quality would be wonderful.

The hope of course is for the DVD - any new Stones documentary is welcomed, but the prize would be, as many have written here, that 1978 gig from Fort Worth. To finally have a full, pro-shot 1978 show would be sublime!

'Ceol, ol agus cailin' - As Good A Motto As Any&&&&Top 5 Song-Titles:&&&&1.  "I'm going to Build me a bar, in the back of my Car, and drive myself to drink" !!&&&&2.  "How come your dog don't bite nobody but me"!&&&&3.  "Don't Cry on my shoulder cuz you're rusting my spurs" &&&&4.  "The Beer I had for breakfast is coming back for Lunch" (Love that one!)&&&&5.  "If money talks, it ain't on speaking terms with me" !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)