Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 
Send Topic Print
'Exile On Main St.' Reissue News (Read 213,746 times)
texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: 'Exile On Main St.' Reissue News
Reply #1825 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 1:27pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
corgi37 wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 4:13am:
Odd huh? But thats how i feel. I'm happy the re-issue went well, but now and forever, i will have to listen to newbie fans who expected lots of Brown Sugar's & Jumping Jack Flashes to whine to me how the album sucked and how disappointed there was no double neck guitar solos.

Not odd at all, as much as I want everyone else to see the depth of the Stones' greatness, Exile has always been on the fringe. Loving Exile is so far outside the standard album of hits that it begs real investment. Its like being part of a secret religion and nobody else gets it.
Alas, I haven't seen it yet. Tired Best Buy, nope, Barnes..the kid is like 'is it new?'
Nothing.....I'll have to check out fyes this Friday. I actually enjoying the anticipation and worried I might be dissapointed...its like: 'I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming'....

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1826 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 9:19am

Some 'Exile'/Robert Frank minutiae...

Answer Girl: Exile on Main Street

By AUTUMN REED - Star-Tribune | Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hey, Answer Girl --  

On my original 1972 release of the Exile on Main Street album by the Rolling Stones there is a picture on one of the liner sleeves of a scene in Casper. I want to know what is going on in this picture, where does the picture come from and how did it end up in a Rolling Stones album.

-- Eric

(I've had a few similar questions from other people)

Well that's a really difficult question. As you can see, it's hard to see the detail in the photo.

There is a group of civilians lining the left side, the women are wearing dresses and skirts and open shoes, so the weather must have been fairly nice, now we've narrowed it down to spring, summer or fall. The men have their hats off, and two little boys are saluting.

In the middle there is a vehicle with a Wyoming license plate, county number one, license plate number 189. The sticker on the plate is 1956. The back of the car has the letters KS, and below that CAS. There are more letters, but the men are standing in the way. The car is a KSPR radio car, and underneath the KSPR it would have said Casper.

Along the right side of the picture are a line of men in uniform, saluting as well. To me (and a few other people I asked) they look like Air Force uniforms.

I did find out that the photographer who took all the pictures on the sleeve of the album Exile on Main Street was Robert Frank.

In 1955, Frank received a grant from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation to travel across the U.S. and take photographs for a project on Americans and our way of life. The cities he visited included Butte, Mont., and Salt Lake City, so I think it's safe to assume he traveled through Casper.

Frank took 28,000 pictures over the next two years, so it would be almost impossible to find the information through him.

Kevin Anderson looked through the newspapers from 1956, and there isn't one event that stands out to him. He says it could be a funeral of a notable person or a veteran, one of the parades, a visit from a foreign dignitary or something like the Pony Express re-ride.

He did check into some events that happened that year and ruled them out.

His best guess is that the photo was taken during the Memorial Day services on May 30, 1956. It is just a guess, but his guesses seem to be fairly educated.

Casper Star-Tribune

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1827 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:42am

www.recordstoreday.com/photo/418453463685

With an expanded, remastered edition of Exile On Main Street and the Stones In Exile DVD available right now at record stores, it’s never been a better time to be a fan of the Rolling Stones. And now, Record Store Day takes it over the top, with your chance to win a limited edition, uncut packaging sheet from the remastered and expanded edition of Exile on Main Street, pulled off the assembly line and eventually signed by KEITH RICHARDS, MICK JAGGER and CHARLIE WATTS!!!

A limited edition piece of Stones history, signed by the Stones themselves, will be going to one lucky winner. Contest ends July 26.

recordstoreday.com
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:50am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1828 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:07am

For Your Weekend Listening Pleasure: The Rolling Stones' Long Day's Journey Into Night at Sumet-Burnet Studios in June 1972

By Robert Wilonsky, Sat., Jul. 10 2010

Back in May I directed your attention to what remains my favorite Stones live comp, much of which comes from two Tarrant County Convention Center shows on June 24, 1972. Here's its exiled companion, which, till recently, I'd only heard in bits and pieces, and maybe with good reason -- it's six hours of fookin' around sqooshed into about 140 minutes' worth of music, most of which will appeal solely to fetishists, completists and the otherwise obsessed. Which means: you.

Not till recently did I discover the story behind these 25 tracks, recorded between 8 p.m. on June 23 and 2 a.m. June 24 at the legendary Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio. Seems the band had fallen apart in KC the night before and needed a pit stop to put its shit back together. And so they pulled into Sumet-Burnet to run through a new set list. But a 4 p.m. start time stretched to 8 p.m., at which point it became "a lot of musicians sitting in, standing up, switching off on instruments, dozing, humming breaks, going for beer, and playing maybe one song all the way through," per Rolling Stone's Robert Greenfield in his book S.T.P: A Journey Through America With the Rolling Stones.

(The tome, incidentally, is filled with lurid tales of the band's trip to town, during which they were accompanied by no less than Truman Capote, Peter Beard, Terry Southern, Robert Frank and Annie Liebowitz, among others, who flew into Love Field specifically for "a wild weekend in Big D with the Stones.")

This is prime Stones -- long, deep tokes off blues jams that go on and on and on (and some, not long enough). There are nods to Slim Harpo; Robert Johnson covers; a "Satisfaction" jam that's polishes the golden-oldie till it shines even now like some brand-new thing; a "Gimme Shelter" instrumental that sounds in spots infinitely more druggy and dangerous than The Official Recording; 20 minutes of Exile's "Let it Loose" and other untitled free-for-alls. For starters. So rip this joint. Or, better still, spark it.

Dallas Observer

Good stuff.
Grab it if you need it...
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:13am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1829 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 2:34pm
Great cd, one of my favorite boots and the sound quality is excellent. It's worth it just to hear Mick sing "Let it Loose" live, although the song is incomplete.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1830 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 4:16pm

left shoe shuffle wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 9:50am:
Keith hid cocaine under my shirt... his wedding gift to Mick: The truth about the Rolling Stones, by an eight-year-old boy

By Caroline Graham
Last updated at 12:18 AM on 23rd May 2010

As the eight-year-old boy walked through the vast iron gates of Villa Nellcote on the Cote d’Azur in the South of France, the scene unfolded like a child’s fantasy.

There was a huge pool complete with diving board, a sprawling toy-filled sandpit and even a selection of miniature motorbikes parked alongside a mansion that housed a menagerie of dogs, cats and a rabbit.

Tugging the sleeve of his six-year-old brother, young Jake Weber could barely contain his excitement as he cried: ‘It’s just like a fairytale palace!’

But the Villa Nellcote, known locally for having been a Nazi headquarters during the war, was certainly no place for children.

No sooner had the heavy wooden doors to the mansion closed than one of the most famous men on the planet lurched forward.

Pausing to give Jake’s golden hair a half-hearted tousle, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards knelt down and pulled the boy’s T-shirt off, revealing a package wrapped in plastic taped firmly to Jake’s bare stomach.

This, the boy learned, was to be Richards’s ‘wedding gift’ to bandmate Mick Jagger. Inside the package was half a kilo of cocaine.

Jake’s brother, Charley, also had half a kilo wrapped round his body. This would be for ­Richards’s own use.

Both consignments had been carefully prepared – and concealed on them by the boys’ father. It was, as Jake put it, ‘pretty outrageous even by the debauched standards of the Rolling Stones. To use kids as drug mules takes some doing’.

The Daily Mail

Jake Weber

By Mail On Sunday Reporter
Last updated at 11:29 PM on 10th July 2010

on May 23, Keith Hid Cocaine Under My Shirt, may have suggested Jake Weber was accusing Keith Richards of using him and his brother (then aged six and eight) to smuggle cocaine to the Rolling Stones’ French villa in 1971.

In fact, Mr Weber made no such comment about Keith Richards. We are happy to clarify this.

The Daily Mail

Surely it was an attack of good conscience that led to this happy clarification...  
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2010 at 4:58pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1831 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:49am
Dominique Tarlé interviewed by our good friend Pauline (The Juf) in Amsterdam, 13th May 2010 for Cult TV, Amsterdam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_B7TvQzQCQ

Many thanks, Pauline!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1832 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 2:19pm

Good stuff, Pauline!

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2010 at 2:26pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: 'Ladies & Gentlemen"
Reply #1833 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 3:47pm

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1834 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 2:19pm
I got my "Stones in Exile" Japanese Edition (Released on July 28) some days ago but it was until yesterday that I went to the PO for it!

WOW, more than 2 hours and a half in real high quality on both viedo and audio, great bonus features like Cocksucker Blues in the best quality I've seen, Exile Fans, extended interview, booklet, return to stargoves and olympic studio

This is my copy:

I got it at a cheap price with the bonus points I got from my Super-deluxe-plus edition of Exile

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2010 at 2:20pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1835 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 4:39pm

Stones In Exile is being screened this week as part of the Vancouver International Film Festival:

STONES IN EXILE
LATE + LOUD
(UK, 2010, 61 mins)
DVD
Directed By: Stephen Kijak
Cast: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Bobby Keys, Marshall Chess, Anita Pallenberg

1971: the Rolling Stones go into voluntary exile to escape the British tax man. They head to the South of France, where Keith Richards rents a chateau and sets up an ad hoc recording studio in the basement. Mick Jagger gets married. Charlie Watts gets homesick. And while no one is looking (well, no one except photographer Dominique Tarle and filmmaker Robert Frank) they create maybe their greatest record, Exile On Main Street.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2010 at 4:41pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1836 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:09pm

Bill Wyman on Making The Rolling Stones' Exile On Main St.

By Elliot Stephen Cohen

“That the album ever came out at all was a complete miracle,” marvels Bill Wyman of the 1972 landmark Rolling Stones album Exile On Main St. Though critics initially overlooked the band’s provocative blend of American roots music with Brit-style rock (“Everybody slagged it off,” Wyman bitterly recalls), the album has since gained recognition as one of the Stones’ most potent statements. This year, Universal has re-mastered the seminal double album, reissuing it with a blistering batch of bonus tracks.

As Wyman intimates, making the album wasn’t easy. The band had fled England to escape the nation’s harsh tax laws (93 percent at the time), and its members were in deep financial trouble. As the album’s title suggests, the boys felt exiled from their homeland, and slithered off to the friendlier confines of southern France. It was there that they recorded the bulk of Exile in the sweltering basement of Keith Richards’s rented Côte d’Azur mansion in Villefranchesur- Mer, a previous Gestapo headquarters from World War II.

With the assistance of producer Jimmy Miller and 21-year old engineer Andy Johns (whose resume already included three Led Zeppelin albums), the Stones created 18 tracks that perfectly assimilated their fascination with older American music styles—blues, rock, gospel and country—into what has since been hailed as the Rolling Stones ultimate masterpiece.

While previous complaints about the original release stemmed largely from its awful sound quality and abysmal mix (rushed by Johns at Jagger’s insistence), the new release overseen by producer Don Was puts a new sheen on things, while retaining the spirit and grit of the original.

Soul Survivor

Born William George Perks in the Lewiston Kent section of London on October 26th, 1936, Bill Wyman had been a Rolling Stone for nearly a decade at the time of Exile’s initial release. Initially inspired by the acoustic walking-bass style of blues legend Willie Dixon, Wyman found equal merits in Donald “Duck” Dunn’s straightforward, uncluttered electric style with Booker T and The MGs. Prior to joining the Stones on December 7th, 1962, he had already designed his own fretless electric bass guitar [see sidebar, page 44]. At 26, married with a child, Wyman was seven years older than the still teenaged Jagger and Richards, whose more bohemian tastes ran quite differently.

Recalls Wyman, “When I first joined the band, they asked me what kind of music I liked, and who my favorite artists were. When I kind of mentioned certain favorites of mine, they kind of went, “Ugh,” You know, it’s weird looking back now, but they originally hated bluesmen like John Lee Hooker and Lightnin’ Hopkins. They preferred the electric blues of Chicago. They also hated Eddie Cochran, but in the ’80s and ’90s I got them to doing ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ onstage. It was the same with Jerry Lee Lewis. They hated him when I first joined, but later Keith became a mad fan.” Throughout his thirty year tenure with the Stones, Wyman teamed with drummer Charlie Watts to form one of rock’s most solid rhythm sections, driving such Stones classics as “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “19th Nervous Breakdown,” “Honky Tonk Woman,” “Brown Sugar,” “Start Me Up,”and “Miss You.” Additionally, Wyman maintains he created the iconic riff used for “Jumpin Jack Flash,” although Richards ended up playing it on the record. In 1974, Wyman became the first Stone to release a solo album, Monkey Grip. He also became the first one to score a hit single, when “(Si Si) Je Suies Un Rock Star,” became a surprise European hit seven years later. In December of 1992, exactly thirty years after joining, he surprised the music work by announcing his departure just when the Stones were about to sign a huge contract with Virgin Records. The band was undisputedly the world’s richest touring attraction.

Although Wyman claims otherwise, it’s clear that the split was less than amicable. It was generally assumed that when Wyman, 56 at the time of his leaving, and just about to get remarried and begin a new family, wanted to forsake the hectic world of performing, in favor of the serenity accorded to a retired country millionaire gentleman. Yet 18 years later—the eclectic musician turns 75 next year—Wyman maintains a vigorous touring schedule with his band, the Rhythm Kings. True to his earliest musical inspirations, Wyman maintains the same enthusiasm for the roots American music that first caused him to pick up a guitar as a young kid.

Were you asked to do any new overdubs on the newly remastered Exile, as Keith, Mick Jagger, and Mick Taylor did?

No, and neither was Charlie—we didn’t have to. [Co-producer] Don Was was full of compliments about our playing in an article I recently read, which was very nice.

One of the problems on the original album was that your bass was buried in the mix.

Well, they’d always sink me way deep. There would always be separate mixes, and then they’d argue about which ones to use. I didn’t get involved, but yeah, I used to get fairly disappointed when you couldn’t bloody well hear my bass. But they wanted more of Keith’s guitar, or whatever. I suppose I just lived with it.

I also didn’t always get the proper credits I deserved, either. When you read the back of the Exile album, it says someone else is playing bass on songs when it was actually me. Mick would always get the credits wrong, and it was too late to change them. So that was annoying, as well.

Were the recording sessions as chaotic as the legends about them are?

In the studio, we just worked weekdays, and we broke on Saturdays and Sundays. So, on the weekends, if Keith was alive, he would mess about with the guys that were staying in the area, like [saxophonist] Bobby Keyes, [trumpet player] Jimmy Price, and [producer] Jimmy Miller. [Engineer] Andy Johns was living there, so if they felt like going in to record, they could. Keith went in one weekend and did “Happy” with Jimmy playing drums, and it turned out quite nice, actually. It was quite a pleasant surprise coming in on Monday morning, and hearing it being played back. [Note: Miller had previously played drums on “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and did the famous cowbell intro on “Honky Tonk Women.”]

What was the studio setup like?

The sessions there were a complete nightmare. The situation where we were recording was a joke, being down in some sort of cellar. Condensation poured down the walls, so you had to be stripped to the waist. The horns were in the kitchen up the corridor. There was no cameras or mics; no direct contact with the mobile studio outside. You had to go up the stairs to talk to anyone. My bass was under the stairs outside one bloody room or another.

In what ways did the primitive recording conditions affect you?

The unfortunate thing was that if I wasn’t there when something was being recorded somebody else played on the original track. So either Keith would lay down a bass with Charlie, or else Mick Taylor would. Of course, when I came back and the bass was already there, what was the point in me overdubbing if it worked well? If Keith or Mick or Mick Taylor weren’t there for something, they were always able to overdub their instruments later. That was the inconvenience of being part of the band’s rhythm section. If Charlie wasn’t there and Jimmy played drums, then Charlie could never be on that track, like the other guys could.

What was a typical recording session like?

It was really stupid, but even more stupid was that nobody ever turned up the same time. On a Monday, Mick Taylor, Charlie, and I might arrive. Keith would be upstairs sleeping, never appearing at the session. We’d all traveled from God knows where. Charlie was five hours away from where he stayed at my house. Piano player Nicky Hopkins often stayed by me, and when you’d get there, you’d find out that Mick Jagger had gone off partying with some local celebrities. So, we’d just mess about, and then the next time, Mick Taylor wouldn’t be there. It would just be me, Keith and Charlie, and Mick Jagger wouldn’t turn up again, because he’d gone to Paris or someplace to buy rings for his wedding [to Bianca Perez Morena de Macias]. Then the day after that, Mick would turn up with Charlie and me, but Keith wouldn’t be there, and neither would Mick Taylor. It was like that day after day. It was bollocks—it’s a miracle that record ever came out, because it was all done in bits. The whole band was hardly ever there at the same time. It was really madness.

Being that Keith’s heroin consumption was quite heavy at the time, how on top of things was he?

I shouldn’t be talking about this, but a typical example of things was that you’d break for the weekend. You’d finish the session at like ten in the morning, drive all the way back through the crowds, going to the beaches, get home about midday, have some lunch, go to bed, and then on Sunday there’s be a phone call saying, “Um, some people broke into Keith’s house when everyone was watching television and stole all the guitars and a saxophone. People just came in and cleaned out all the instruments. [Note: Reportedly, drug dealers to whom Keith owed money were responsible for the heist.] Absurd things like that were going on, and it was just a complete joke. But being that is was Keith’s house, he was quite happy to work at any odd hours he cared to. We were all obliged to being there when it suited him more than anybody else.

You’ve stated in the past that one reason you stayed away from many of the Exile sessions—including those for “Tumbling Dice” and “Happy”—was the drug use, which you didn’t want to be around.

I suppose. There were problems there that stayed with us right straight through the ’70s, and as I was not the least interested in taking drugs, but suffered the same consequences as the others—airport checks, etc.—and I wasn’t very happy about it. Everybody else got into problems. It was a real nightmare.

During your time with the band, beside not being formally credited with coming up with perhaps the best Stones riff ever, for “Jumping Jack Flash,” there must have been many other instances where you weren’t officially credited, as a co-songwriter.

There were lots, because all of the songs were created in the studio. You know, Keith would come in with a riff. That’s all, and over the course of a week we would come up with a song. Then Mick would write the lyrics, and it would come out on an album credited as “Jagger-Richards.” That would happen all the time.

I did get a bit disheartened that they weren’t generous enough to share, like many other bands do. Like the way the Beatles gave room for Ringo Starr and George Harrison to do their thing, and how the Who gave John Entwhistle a chance to write stuff. Where other bands shared things, the Stones didn’t. We just had to live with it or leave. So I went on and did solo albums and movie music, and I produced other artists. I got satisfaction in that way.

What do see as some of your most unheralded contributions to their music?

I loved recording “Paint It, Black,” when I laid on the floor and pumped the organ pedal with my fist, because I can’t play with my feet. That rhythm kind of made the record, because it was lacking something before I suggested doing that. I suppose you could also say I created what was happening on “Miss You,” you know, the walking bass, that octave bass thing. After that, just about every band in the world took that idea at the time and used it in a song. Rod Stewart used it, and a lot of funky bands did, also.

What was your most memorable moment with The Stones?

The best one for me was the Hyde Park concert in 1969, on the 5th of July, two days after Brian Jones died. I loved playing live— that was kind of magical.

Which was the band’s best tour?

They were all great. They all kept getting better. I mean, the ’69 tour was fantastic until Altamont. [Note: that concert was marred by a fan fatality.] We had a fantastic tour with Chuck Berry, Terry Reid, Ikeand Tina Turner, and B.B. King—I loved that tour. Japan in 1990 was also fantastic, when we did ten shows in a row, between 45,000 and 52,000 for each show. No one ever did something like that.

Did you feel when you left the band two years later; that its best music was in the past?

I think the best music was done between ’68 and ’72. Never mind about when I left in ’92.

When was the last time you saw the Stones in concert?

It was at London’s O2 Arena in 2007 or 2008. I don’t hear the Stones the same way now as when I was in the band, because in those days, it was all sort of dangerous and loose. Now, it’s like a machine. It’s like they’re playing to click tracks, which we never did. The music has become more machine-like than I would like, and that’s not the way it was when I was with them.

Considering even just all of the millions you could have earned with them over the past 18 years, do you have any regrets over leaving “The World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band?”

Are you serious? [Laughs.] Not one iota—I never have. I enjoyed my time there, and I’m still mates with everyone. Except for Charlie, they didn’t understand my leaving at the beginning. So there were bad vibes and nasty comments going out in the press. But then they were all right with my decision. I got married, and they understood what was happening with me. We still send each other birthday and Christmas presents. We’re still family, but I don’t want to see them every day of the week—once in a while is okay.

Will we ever see Bill Wyman grace the stage with The Rolling Stones again?

If they did one big final live performance that was broadcast all over the world—and they asked me to do it—I probably would do it for the fans. But at the moment, it doesn’t interest me. I’ve had my time.

Bass Player

Great stuff!

The door's open for "The Last Time"...   Cool
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:13pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #1837 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:52pm
Great Interview-"the music has become more machine like I would like"  explains a lot.
I don't think Jagger or Richards ever appreciated Bill's great Bass playing.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1838 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Music, Words and Pictures: "Exiles" in Paris -- Whole Lotta Rolling Stones

...Ethan Russell
Author and multi-Grammy nominated photographer and director.
Posted: September 24, 2010

At the tail end of their 1969 U.S. tour, Mick Jagger, 26, says to Stanley Booth: "Got to think about the future because obviously I can't do this forever. I mean we're so old." It didn't quite work out that way, as now we know.

Around the next corner for Mick and the Stones -- only days away -- is the infamous concert at Altamont, and then -- pausing for a brief good-bye tour of England -- they exit to the South of France, and the beginning of their tax-exile status. In the ongoing narrative, Mick gets married to Bianca, and Keith sets up shop in the Villa Nellcote where the drug taking escalates to prodigious proportions. Nevertheless they produce Exile on Main Street, which every review you will now read calls "one of their classics."

Photograph © Dominique Tarle. All rights reserved.

Dominique Tarle is the photographer who shows up at Nellcote for one day and then, as he announces he must get back to Paris, is told to stick around, his room is ready. He stays for months, an experience I could relate to.

Dominique was passionate about taking pictures of musicians, had gone to London to do just that in 1968. But it was his presence at Nellcote that would produce some of the most extraordinary photographs of the Rolling Stones ever taken.

His pictures are a visual feast. If they were a meal you might feel like you stumbled into the world's best, most exotic, restaurant. Dominique shoots in the opulence of the South of France, in a villa (Nellcote) commandeered by the Nazis in the Second World War. Now it is inhabited by Rock's Renegades. (In this juxtaposed fantasia one wonders how the Rolling Stones' existence might have fit in with Hitler's Master Race? It's nice to think he would have expired of apoplexy.) The overwhelming presence in Dominiques' photographs is Keith Richards, who manages to demand focus without apparently asking for it.

As for the Rolling Stones, they might have wondered (with Jim Morrison) how they were going to get out alive. But they did escape, bringing into this world more remarkable music. At the end, grabbing a box of tapes, they fly to Los Angeles to master the album and begin preparations for the 1972 U.S tour. I would join them there.

It is this piece of rock history and experience that is captured in the current show "Soul Survivors" at La Galerie de L'Instant in Paris. The idea for this show -- to combine Dominique's extraordinary images of the making of Exile with my photography from the 1972 tour -- came from Julia Gragnon, the gallery's energetic and passionate owner. and the daughter of Paris Match photographer Francois Gragnon.

I flew to Paris for the opening and, while in France, went with Dominique and Julia to Cannes for the screening of Stones in Exile the documentary the Rolling Stones made of the very same period (and which relies on, among other things, both Dominique's and my photos).

The film was enlightening for me. I left the Rolling Stones behind after Altamont and joined them again in 1972. I was aware of their intervening time in France but had little detail. Now years later it was revealed in continuity, and, in the case of the documentary, with interviews with Mick, Keith and Charlie (and Dominique).

For me (who knew the Rolling Stones well in England and was an ex-English resident myself) the film brought into sharp relief the wrenching experience that the move to France thrust upon them.

The English and the French can be oil and water. I once stood on a hillside in the Dordogne overlooking a small valley. Not a mile across from where I was standing I could see on one side the English castle and on the other the French. Here the French and the English fought each other for One Hundred Years.

In the film you see the culture shock in wonderfully small details. As most of us are aware the English palette can be, well, insular, but Charlie Watts' request for Marmite (a yeast extract the English put on toast) to be shipped to the South of France I found surprisingly poignant. It is, as we all know, the little things.

I believe this experience forced the Rolling Stones to become international players. If you can't go home again, you better learn how to live off the land. The film -- without harping on it -- made me acutely aware, in a way that I had not been, the challenge that the Rolling Stones surmounted. As Mick says in the film "We had no money. None." The Rolling Stones could so easily NOT have made it. Since they were teens they had been careening around the world at a breakneck pace, been confronted by a hostile establishment in England intent on making an example of them. One of them had died. And an American manager had locked up all their money. With all of it, they were just English lads. How could they not be? Over and over again in their career, a much more likely outcome would have been that the Rolling Stones would fail, and it would be brutal. Here's a title for them: True Grit. Outta the way, John.

Photograph © Ethan Russell. All rights reserved.

At the Galerie you can see this. Dominique and I share something. (I have talked with him about this, and I think his intentions were more conscious. Maybe it is just the French are more articulate.) What we both did was take pictures that showed it like it was. To this day -- especially this day -- I get irritated with photographs that scream (the photographer's head peaking out from behind) "Look At Me! Look at Me!" The value I believe that both Dominque and I were lucky enough to deliver is the experience of letting the viewer be there.

The exhibition brings our photographs together in a narrative that neither Dominique nor I could tell by ourselves. In Dominique's case it is told through the image of Keith lounging in the echoing rooms of Nellcote. Of Bobby Keys and Jim Price in the basement rooms. Drug Times, Good Times, Exhaustion and Smiling in the Sun.

And then, in an image of mine, Keith Richards sits shuttered, behind sunglasses, in the back of a limo (it almost looks armored) with the Stones' first airplane behind him, emblazoned with a their new logo, the lapping tongue.

And finally shots of them backstage and onstage: Mick howling, Keith pumping, lights arcing behind them, bringing it to the folks.

Photographs © Ethan Russell. All rights reserved.

The viewer is able to be with them from the intimacy of the creative to the launch on the road. This experience, this template, is something the Rolling Stones have done their entire careers. Amid the chaos, it is the architecture within which they live their lives. "Soul Survivors" is a remarkable look at one slice of that. Catch it if you can. In Paris. Closes October 20, 2010.

Dominique Tarle and Ethan Russell - Paris, 2010.

La Galerie de L'Instant
46, rue de Poitou
Paris 75003
FRANCE
01 44 54 94 09

web: www.lagaleriedelinstant.com

------------

There is a lot that has recently surfaced from that time, all of it good and interesting. In addition to the Stones documentary Stones in Exile, there is the remastered album, in the Deluxe package a very nicely produced book with Dominique's and my photography. In the theaters recently and about to be released in DVD LADIES AND GENTLMEN Eagle Rock's release of the Stones 1972 concert film.

You can see more Ethan Russell Photographs here.

The Huffington Post

Nice read.

And of course, iconic photos...
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2010 at 2:59pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)