Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 74
Send Topic Print
'Exile On Main St.' Reissue News (Read 214,471 times)
Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Re: RS.com: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks ...
Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:52am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #26 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:10am
When I saw RS.Com I thought maybe the Stones official site had some news.....Silly me. Nanker

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #27 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:16am
This is already posted in another thread.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 1:50pm
Why is Jagger fucking around with the Bible?
seriously - I agree with Keith.
If the songs were not complete, then leave them as unfinished gems.
When I read that Jagger re-wrote "fresh" lyrics and vocals, I could only think of Streets of Love....
What is the point?
That period was epic in the Stones history - it was the end of the 60s, the beginning of a new era, a transition, Jagger had broken up with Marianne, married Bianca etc....
The music reflects all that they were going through, not what high-heel-wearing, hollywood hobnobbing Jagger thinks is "fresh" in 2010.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #29 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 2:54pm
texile wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 1:50pm:
Why is Jagger fucking around with the Bible?
seriously - I agree with Keith.
If the songs were not complete, then leave them as unfinished gems.
When I read that Jagger re-wrote "fresh" lyrics and vocals, I could only think of Streets of Love....
What is the point?
That period was epic in the Stones history - it was the end of the 60s, the beginning of a new era, a transition, Jagger had broken up with Marianne, married Bianca etc....
The music reflects all that they were going through, not what high-heel-wearing, hollywood hobnobbing Jagger thinks is "fresh" in 2010.

you just came along and let the air out of my balloon.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #30 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:11pm
I have always made the point that one reason Exile wasn't a bigger commercial hit is the lyrics are almost impossible for the average listener to hear clearly. Mick's voice is loud enough buy hard to hear what he is singing. Average fans like to hear the words and som of the best ever Stones lyrics are hidden here. Hopefully some clarity there would be a huge upgrade.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #31 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:58pm
but gk, isn't that one of the reason's it is the masterpiece that it is?

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:32pm
gimmekeef wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:11pm:
I have always made the point that one reason Exile wasn't a bigger commercial hit is the lyrics are almost impossible for the average listener to hear clearly. Mick's voice is loud enough buy hard to hear what he is singing. Average fans like to hear the words and som of the best ever Stones lyrics are hidden here. Hopefully some clarity there would be a huge upgrade.

But he's adding "fresh lyrics" adding new vocals!
Its not like he's clarifying the sonic quality of the tracks or remastering or whatever it is they do. He's putting his 66-year old-2010 pudgy fingers all over his 27-year old-1972 immaculate prime.
Jagger's voice is different than it was in 71 and his writing more powerful and yes, often indeciperable and enigmatic, but as my aussie friend points out, that's why Exile was a masterpiece.
Some Guy, my bubble just burst too.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:47pm
Sounds like he's only doing it some of the unreleased tracks, not the main body of the album.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #34 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 7:42pm
They need to tour behind this rerelease.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #35 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 7:48pm
The Exile on Main Street reissue will be sold a CD featuring the original 18 tracks or as a deluxe CD edition with the 10 bonus tracks. The super deluxe package includes vinyl, the 30-minute documentary DVD and a 50-page collector’s book with photos from the Exile era.

Will the super deluxe package contain the CD???????????????????????????

&&... &&...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #36 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:39pm
HOLY ERECT NIPPLES!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #37 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:54pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:39pm:
HOLY ERECT NIPPLES!

stiff cocks, moist vaginas and hard nipples!!!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #38 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 9:26pm
FINALLY.

This is encouraging news.

STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the fuck?  Are you fucking serious?  really?  taylor made smile  Boring post

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #39 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:57am
How dumb not to include the dvd with the cd. I dont want the vinyls as well (and have to pay extra for it!).

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Exile news from Oz newspaper site
Reply #40 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:30pm
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/exile-on-main-street-gets-10-new-...

Exile on Main Street gets 10 new tracks

* From correspondents in Los Angeles
    * February 26, 2010 3:18PM

THE Rolling Stones, who have long resisted releasing archival material, will include 10 previously unheard songs in an upcoming reissue of Exile on Main Street.

The original 1972 release, a sprawling two-disc set regarded by many observers as one of their greatest works, features such notable tracks as Tumbling Dice and Happy.

It was recorded in the grim basement of a French villa once used by the Gestapo.

Guitarist Keith Richards was consumed at the time by a heroin addiction and singer Mick Jagger was distracted by his new wife, Bianca.

The reissue, due out in the United States on May 18 and a day earlier internationally through Vivendi's Universal Music Group, will be supplemented by new tracks with such titles as Plundered My Soul, Dancing in the Light, Following the River and Pass The Wine.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

While the Stones have been widely bootlegged, the four disclosed titles appeared to be unknown to collectors.

Alternate versions of the album tracks Soul Survivor and Loving Cup will also be included.

A publicist said she did not have information on the other titles.

Jagger told Rolling Stone magazine that he and Richards overdubbed percussion and guitar, respectively, on some of the bonus tracks.

They oversaw the project with producer Don Was, who has worked with the band for 15 years.

The singer also wrote fresh lyrics for Following the River.

Jagger has been reluctant to open the band's vaults because he views the veteran British band that dates back to 1962 as a contemporary rather than a nostalgia act.

Peers such as Bob Dylan and David Bowie, as well as thriving younger acts like U2, have been less resistant to the idea of dusting off outtakes and other rarities.

The reissue will also be complemented by a made-for-TV documentary, Stones in Exile, which features rare archival film footage and photos as well as fresh interviews.

The album will be available in three configurations: the original 18-track release; an edition with the bonus tracks; and a package that also includes a vinyl version, a different 30-minute documentary DVD and a book.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Re: Exile news from Oz newspaper site
Reply #41 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:27pm
I just saw this at Reuters! **Quite, quite interesting. Especially at the fact Mick and Keith actually added instruments and vocals to a few of these! Now that's really somethin. Should be interesting.

It's said that even Stones bootleg collectors were not aware of some of these tunes. Anyone here know of these tracks besides concerning the news of the re-issue? I never heard of em?

*I will say this....It looks look they are not planning on disappointing us with all re-hash and nothing really different for them to do, in this very special edition/re-release of Exile.

I am eagerly awaiting these. I don't know which one I'll buy though?

Ian
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:32pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:34am
10 new unheard songs....nice

everybody say ow

really?

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #43 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:06am
The Stones confirmed it on their site. Great. Now let's keep our fingers crossed for more deluxe editions...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #44 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 4:00am
So 2 doco's will be around! Friggin cool. And even cooler that we get it before America.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:42am
New issue of UNCUT which has just popped through my letterbox has a 10-page 'Exile' feature (plus Keith on the cover). Should be in the shops in a couple of days. No track listing or review as yet, but it contains interviews with Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill, Mick Taylor and Marshall Chess. Mick and Keith, just for a change, aren't exactly singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to their recollections of making the album.

Mick describes the new re-issue as follows :

"The cheap package is just 'Exile'. The mid-price package has extra tracks. And the very expensive, lovely, not-all-that-expensive-really package has got a lot of other nice things in it. You'll probably get a T-shirt. You'll get video material. Bits of 'Cocksucker Blues', bits of a new documentary and bits of 'Ladies & Gentlemen', which is the tour we did in 1972. "

..and as for future projects in a similar vein, such as 'Sticky Fingers' ?

"Let's see how well this one does, shall we? If it does shit, I'm not going through all this again...".

Oh, and one more interesting little titbit - when preparing this release last year, the Stones had looked into the possibility of a live event to tie in with it. Universal suggested they perform the album as an 18-song concert, but Mick eventually rejected the idea as impractical. (which Charlie thinks was a shame)
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:18am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #46 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:48am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:27pm:
I just saw this at Reuters! **Quite, quite interesting. Especially at the fact Mick and Keith actually added instruments and vocals to a few of these! Now that's really somethin. Should be interesting.

It's said that even Stones bootleg collectors were not aware of some of these tunes. Anyone here know of these tracks besides concerning the news of the re-issue? I never heard of em?

Ian

Been discussed at some length in another thread on this topic, Ian

The only songs I've read about so far whose titles had previously been even known were 'Sophia Loren' and 'Dancing In The Light'. 'Sophia Loren' has never been circulated, and the only version of 'Dancing In The Light' that circulated was an instrumental . This version has a Jagger vocal. Maybe 'Pass The Wine' and 'Sophia Loren' are the same song. Mick was asked about the latter in an Italian Rolling Stone interview a few weeks ago and hinted that 'Sophia Loren' may not end up being the title the song gets released under.

Not sure how crazy I am about 2009 vocals being added to 1971 recordings because Mick (like anyone else) doesn't sound like he did 38 years ago, but the impression I've got for a while is that any embellishments are quite minor.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:21am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #47 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:01am

A couple of awful factual errors in this article from the 'Hollywood Reporter' in showbiz411.com, but you should be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff and dig out what's relevant....

ROLLING STONES LONG-BANNED FILM IS COMING (KINDA)
by Roger Friedman

Fans of the Rolling Stones know all about a little known underground film that could not be released in the early 1970s. It was called “Cocksucker Blues.” It was made around the time of he recording of “Exile on Main Street” in 1971 and it contained some racy, racy stuff. (Considering what we see on YouTube and from Paris Hilton, however, it may seem tame now!)

Well now: Ten minutes of “CB” are being included officially in a 30-minute documentary that the Stones will release in May. The other 20 minutes comprise 10 minutes of a film that was released but few saw called “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones” (out of print and unavailable since 1974) and 10 more minutes of a new full-length doc called “Stones in Exile,” made by director Stephen Kijack. That latter title will also be released as a full-length doc at the same time in a format still to be determined.

And all of this comes along with a new full-length version of the album “Exile on Main Street,” which will now have 10 extra tracks in addition to “Tumbling Dice,” “Happy,” “Sister Morphine” and all the classic songs we already know from the original.

“Exile” comes from the Stones’ most fertile period, right after “Sticky Fingers” a year before. The Stones had just signed with Ahmet Ertegun and Atlantic Records, escaping from their old contract with Allen Klein and Decca and London Records. Mick had just married Bianca, and their world was on fire. Oh to have been a fly on the wall from that period! It’s hoped that “Stones in Exile” will provide that feeling. And maybe there will be new unexpurgated full-length versions of “CB” on the black market (do they still call it that? or is it eBay?). Anyway, I saw it way back in 1981, on something called a Betamax, and it proved the Stones were the Greatest rock ‘n’ roll Band in the world — for many reasons!

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #48 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:09am
"Oh, and one more interesting little titbit - when preparing this release last year, the Stones had looked into the possibility of a live event to tie in with it. Universal suggested they perform the album as an 18-song concert, but Mick eventually rejected the idea as impractical. (which Charlie think it's a shame)"

Which means IF we get another Tour, look for the glitz and glamour, ie $$$$.
Don't ya have enough money Jagger?
Will the words BAND LEGACY ever EVER mean a damn thing to you????  Angry  Angry

LJ.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #49 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:17am
To be fair, that didn't appear to be the reason. More to do with too many of the songs being too problematic to 'perform' live, something which Charlie acknowledges himself.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 74
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)