Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
TOP FIVE WORST STONES SONGS (Read 3,181 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: TOP FIVE WORST STONES SONGS
Reply #50 - May 7th, 2009 at 6:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Where the Boys Go
Fight
Winning Ugly
Back to Zero
Sing this All Together/On with the Show

There's pretty much a consensus here.

Anybody who doesn't like Sweethearts Together or Indian Girl never liked a Sam Peckinpah movie.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #51 - May 7th, 2009 at 6:40pm
there are alot on these lists that are merely a matter of taste...
i, for one, think that start me up is overrated and silly, but its not a bad song.
and those early soul covers were atrocious,
but let me remind everyone of the real travestly in the stones canon:

any way you look at it....
anybody have a link to this - just to drive that point home?

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #52 - May 7th, 2009 at 6:43pm
yeah--we have a concensus there...some (like me) defend stuff like "Where The Boys All Go", but NO ONE defends "Anyway You Look At It"

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #53 - May 7th, 2009 at 6:53pm
i bought the cd.  it has saint of me and anyway you look at it for 1.99.  i have to say that anyway song is lame.  there was a song on the bonus cd of a bigger bang, the one that had 2-3 extra songs on it and one of those was lame too.

Ouch!

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #54 - May 7th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Gazza wrote on May 7th, 2009 at 6:02pm:
gotdablouse wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 7:59pm:
Good reminder about Mick's abominable lyrics of late, ABB was certainly the nadir of his writing, can't get any worse for sure.

I actually thought his lyrics on ABB showed two extremes. On the positive side, some welcome 'mature' relationship songs (Let Me Down Slow, Biggest Mistake, Laugh I Nearly Died - the latter of which may well have been written for 'Alfie' as some of the songs definitely were) and some which were amongst the most embarrassingly infantile drivel of his career and which sounded unbelievably infantile coming from an intelligent man in his 60's (Neocon, Oh No Not You Again)

True, I guess I was being blinded by the drivel ! About LIND I thought I'd read here that a "source" had confimed that it was indeed written for Alfie?

Whatever happened to the man who wrote Salt of the Earth, eh ?

Ah here's another mind-boggling lyric : "We don't wanna go home", how could they waste their time with that kind of crap, fortunately they left it off ABB

I'll add it to my "worst" songs as a bonus cut!
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2009 at 7:04pm by gotdablouse »  
IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #55 - May 8th, 2009 at 1:21am
gotdablouse wrote on May 7th, 2009 at 6:56pm:

"Raise your glass to the hard-working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leading, but take gamblers instead
Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter
Whose empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
And parades of gray-suited grafters
A choice of cancer or polio."

I agree. Where did that guy go? Whenever anyone has any doubt about how great of writer Mick was, I play 'em something like this.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #56 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:42am
Hey all, long time lurker, newbie poster.  I saw this and had to chime in...since I only love the Stones' music up to and including 1974's IORR (not a fan AT ALL of the Ron Wood era...) my list will be kinda of easy:

1. Miss You
2. Undercover
3. Beast of Burden
4. Anything after 1974's IORR
5. Anything with Ron Wood on it (except for the song IORR)...

How's that? Cool

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #57 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:50am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 8:42am:
3. Beast of Burden

Shocked

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #58 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:56am
Zack wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 8:50am:
StonesFanatic wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 8:42am:
3. Beast of Burden

Shocked

Don't like it...don't hate it but just don't like it.  There is the occasional post-Taylor-era song I can tolerate...that's not usually one...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #59 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:59am
Child of the Moon wrote on May 8th, 2009 at 1:21am:

I agree. Where did that guy go? Whenever anyone has any doubt about how great of writer Mick was, I play 'em something like this.

To his credit you can only write that song once and he did it so...I guess he just ran out of things to say or stopped caring about much else than his dick, anyway it sucks to not be in 1968 anymore as far as the Stones go.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #60 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:07am
gotdablouse wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 8:59am:

To his credit you can only write that song once and he did it so...I guess he just ran out of things to say or stopped caring about much else than his dick, anyway it sucks to not be in 1968 anymore as far as the Stones go.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Too funny...I always thought Mick was a really talented lyricist, but not being familiar at all with his recent work I can't comment...what about the newer lyrics makes them so bad?

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #61 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:10am
" Anybody who doesn't like Sweethearts Together or Indian Girl never liked a Sam Peckinpah movie "

Amen !!!!!!!

The Wild Bunch ROCKS !!!!!

RIP William Holden ......... Warren Oates  ........ Jeff Healy

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #62 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:56am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 9:07am:
gotdablouse wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 8:59am:

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Too funny...I always thought Mick was a really talented lyricist, but not being familiar at all with his recent work I can't comment...what about the newer lyrics makes them so bad?

Well precisely that, that his songs are mostly about his pecker and how much action it's getting...
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009 at 10:27am by gotdablouse »  
IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #63 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:02am
Even these days at his old age? Weird!!

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #64 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:11am
Gazza wrote on May 7th, 2009 at 6:02pm:
gotdablouse wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 7:59pm:
Good reminder about Mick's abominable lyrics of late, ABB was certainly the nadir of his writing, can't get any worse for sure.

I actually thought his lyrics on ABB showed two extremes. On the positive side, some welcome 'mature' relationship songs (Let Me Down Slow, Biggest Mistake, Laugh I Nearly Died - the latter of which may well have been written for 'Alfie' as some of the songs definitely were) and some which were amongst the most embarrassingly infantile drivel of his career and which sounded unbelievably infantile coming from an intelligent man in his 60's (Neocon, Oh No Not You Again)

True, I guess I was being blinded by the drivel ! About LIND I thought I'd read here that a "source" had confimed that it was indeed written for Alfie?

I think Mick himself mentioned it in an interview for either the BBC or Virgin radio that was broadcast around the time of the Twickenham shows in August 2006.

Some of the more 'world weary' songs on ABB would fit well on 'Alfie' (which was done a year or so earlier) and so I guess it's quite possible he had a surplus or some werent quite finished and so he kept them for ABB and then wrote a few more Stones-style songs, which would have included a few of the songs such as ONNYA which sounded more like parodies.

I think 'Streets of Love' probably dates from a bit earlier too, hence Matt Clifford's involvement in it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #65 - May 15th, 2009 at 6:48am
I was surprised, looking back, to see so much hate for Start Me Up on here.  While I can take or leave that song, it's always regarded as a Stones "classic" so I was surprised to see so much dislike for it...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #66 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:02am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 6:48am:
I was surprised, looking back, to see so much hate for Start Me Up on here.  While I can take or leave that song, it's always regarded as a Stones "classic" so I was surprised to see so much dislike for it...

Just looked through this thread and only two people voted for 'Start Me Up' which hardly amounts to widespread hate for the song.

My own opinion is that while has all the ingredients for a good single or good record (great riff and superbly mixed), its actually not that much of a song and as it's one of their most recognisable and most performed songs, it punches WAY above it's weight in that regard. It's probably as well known as Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Sympathy and a few others but it's not remotely in the same class as those songs. It's not even close to being the best song on Tattoo You for that matter.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #67 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:13am
Gazza wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:02am:
I was surprised, looking back, to see so much hate for Start Me Up on here.  While I can take or leave that song, it's always regarded as a Stones "classic" so I was surprised to see so much dislike for it...

Just looked through this thread and only two people voted for 'Start Me Up' which hardly amounts to widespread hate for the song.

My own opinion is that while has all the ingredients for a good single or good record (great riff and superbly mixed), its actually not that much of a song and as it's one of their most recognisable and most performed songs, it punches WAY above it's weight in that regard. It's probably as well known as Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Sympathy and a few others but it's not remotely in the same class as those songs. It's not even close to being the best song on Tattoo You for that matter.

Agreed G.
Add the HIDEOUS video and the number of times we've endured it live and this is one I could definitely live without ever listening to again.
Well, may not EVER. Wink

LJ.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #68 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:21am
LadyJane wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:13am:

Agreed G.
Add the HIDEOUS video and the number of times we've endured it live and this is one I could definitely live without ever listening to again.
Well, may not EVER. Wink

LJ.

Hahaha, yeah the video is fucking dire...I'm curious as to why you don't like it (I have my own reasons...Mick's weird dancing/preening/posing, especially at the beginning, and his weird outfit, it's a boring vid, etc...)

The song, to me, is like Gazza said...it COULD be good but it's not...I think if it were sped up and didn't sound so thin it could be better but even so it is not in the same league as those classics he mentioned...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #69 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:32am
StonesFanatic wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:21am:
LadyJane wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:13am:

Agreed G.
Well, may not EVER. Wink

LJ.

Hahaha, yeah the video is fucking dire...I'm curious as to why you don't like it (I have my own reasons...Mick's weird dancing/preening/posing, especially at the beginning, and his weird outfit, it's a boring vid, etc...)

The song, to me, is like Gazza said...it COULD be good but it's not...I think if it were sped up and didn't sound so thin it could be better but even so it is not in the same league as those classics he mentioned...

The video is very amateurish for the GREATEST Band of all time.
Lip synching and air guitars are an embarrassment.
Why bother???
They finally get a single (s/p 1980) that hits the charts and then put out that piece of junk????
It's so damned cheesy.  Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED)

LJ.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #70 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:33am
It's super cheese...I just watched it again and holy armpit-sweat-stains from Mick when he raises his arms!!!

Wicked cheesy...

And I'll probably get nailed for this, but I always though Ronnie Wood didn't fit the Stones image...he just looks like he doesn't belong, with the spiky hair and his image (not to mention I'm not a fan of his playing)...

What do you think of the video for Undercover of the Night?

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #71 - May 15th, 2009 at 10:52am
"What do you think of the video for Undercover of the Night?"

Mick in that White Suit and moustache....let's just say he's not going to win any Academy Awards.  But Keith looks badass so it's tolerable.

Overall, most of the Stones videos were average, imho.

LJ.

IP Logged

StonesFanatic
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones purist

Boston
Reply #72 - May 15th, 2009 at 11:04am
LadyJane wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:52am:

Mick in that White Suit and moustache....let's just say he's not going to win any Academy Awards.  But Keith looks badass so it's tolerable.

LJ.

Yeah Mick in the white suit is a laugher...that mustache looks so fake it's hilarious.  Keith does look cool in that, though, as you said...

WWW rnrchemist  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #73 - May 15th, 2009 at 3:13pm
LadyJane wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 10:52am:

Mick in that White Suit and moustache....let's just say he's not going to win any Academy Awards.  But Keith looks badass so it's tolerable.

LJ.

Most videos are crap, full stop. However, IMO the Stones - back as late as the late 90's when they still cared - were always trendsetters and pioneers when it came to promo videos.

Right from the early days where they were basically promo clips - Have You Seen Your Mother, Jumpin' Jack Flash and the video for the song from which you take your screen name up through the 70's (IORR and the 3 'Some Girls' videos) - and on into the MTV age when even as late as that magnificent one for Anybody Seen My Baby, a new video premiere from the Stones was often  a TV event and often pretty innovative, eg Undercover, Love Is strong, Like A rolling Stone etc.

In the last decade or so though, their reluctance to bother with them has matched their reluctance to spend much time making new music - the one for 'Don't Stop' was so bad I actually hid behind the settee when it was on TV.

The 'Start Me Up' video just looks very dated now. Prancing about lip synching was pretty normal for 1981 though and , in fairness, all that campy arse wiggling and gymnastic pouting was pretty much the way Jagger was still performing on stage at that time (he toned it down by the time they went back on the road in 1989). They did 4 other videos for Tattoo You - Hang Fire, Worried About You, Neighbours and Waiting On A Friend - all of which were more plleasant to watch to varying degrees, especially the last two.

First rule of thumb for a Stones video in the MTV age (ie post 1981) - if it's shot against a New York backdrop, it's usually going to be very good. The New York tourist office should have paid the band a fortune for what was basically a series of great commercials for the city throughout the 80s and 90s.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Jumping Jack
Rocks Off Regular

Atlanta
Reply #74 - May 16th, 2009 at 5:31am
One Hit was one of the few decent videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZ5iPF5xCQ

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)