Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Your Top 3 Stones Outtake Tunes (Read 2,262 times)
Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Re: Your Top 3 Stones Outtake Tunes
Reply #25 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 9:20am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This thread shows me how little I know about these sessions, and shows me what tunes I need to snag!  Thanks for the knowledge

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:10am
gotdablouse wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 8:42am:
That project of yours would be great but, yes, quite a task. I'd spent a lot of time on my website, actually I need to put it back online at some point...hey now was a good time ! : http://stones.servebeer.com/

Thats excellent. Thats something along the lines of what I was working on, actually.

I think 'Training Wheels' was on our tracker a while back. It was on hungercity too, I think. Quality isnt as stunning as the 'roadie tape' that was uploaded in summer 2006, but its still definitely worth getting.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:26am
Throwaway wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 9:20am:
This thread shows me how little I know about these sessions, and shows me what tunes I need to snag!  Thanks for the knowledge

More threads discussing the Stones' music on here are always welcome!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Paris, France
Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:58am
Gazza wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:10am:
gotdablouse wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 8:42am:
That project of yours would be great but, yes, quite a task. I'd spent a lot of time on my website, actually I need to put it back online at some point...hey now was a good time ! : http://stones.servebeer.com/

Thats excellent. Thats something along the lines of what I was working on, actually.

I think 'Training Wheels' was on our tracker a while back. It was on hungercity too, I think. Quality isnt as stunning as the 'roadie tape' that was uploaded in summer 2006, but its still definitely worth getting.

Thanks, yes I found it and I'm about to listen to it...ah the thrill of listening to new Stones music for the first time, can't beat that! Especially after first reading about Ready Yourself and Giving it Up in the Dieter Hoffman's Weissbuch at the Virgin store at Tottenham Court sometime in February of 1992! He must have had that tape at the time already...come to think of it he also mentioned Gangster's Moll in his book, now when is this one coming out!

I'll need to update the site for the new tracks and also links at many pointed to the old novogate forums. I'm glad I had saved the original post of bwaudby here http://stones.servebeer.com/Songs.htm because I somehow wiped it from my HD since.

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 11:02am
Gazza wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:26am:
Throwaway wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 9:20am:
This thread shows me how little I know about these sessions, and shows me what tunes I need to snag!  Thanks for the knowledge

More threads discussing the Stones' music on here are always welcome!

Cool, cool.   You mean this isn't an Obama/McCain/Hilary/Joey message board?

Speaking of Jiving sister Fanny, I love the Metamorphosis version, but I think the one off the Black Box is even better.

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #30 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 12:08pm
It wouldn't be hard at all to put together an album (or two) of unreleased gems, but I'd like to draw attention to Strictly Memphis (from DW), while being a fairly standard soul/rock tune has a great sing-a-long hook for it's chorus. ("Yes I'm Going to Memphis/ Yes I'm Going to Memphis/ And down to New Orleans") If it were made now, we'd call it a 'return to form', rather than the 'same old, same old' it probably felt like in '85. Also, Zip Mouth Angel, inexplicably left off Voodoo Lounge, and Fast Talking, which has Jagger doing his Dartford (as opposed to Caledonia) soul thing in the early seventies a la Let It Loose and Hide Your Love...probably didn't get developed further as it shares similarities to those aforementioned tunes, but I still dig it. Wish a good quality version of that one surfaced.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #31 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 3:38pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 7:36am:
Zack wrote on Apr 27th, 2009 at 1:48pm:
Are all 10 of Bill's Black Box tracks on Metamorphosis?  I tried to google it but got only the big CD box?  Is the running order known?

Only a couple of them match the titles that are on 'Metamorphosis'

Bright Lights Big City/Cops and Robbers/I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys/Little Red Rooster (Live)/Down The Road Apiece (Live)/Don't Lie To Me/If You Let Me/Godzi/Panama Powder Room/Gold Painted Nails/Fannie Mae/Down In The Bottom

Bill also suggests that 'High Heel Sneakers' was shortlisted (although its the interviewer who mentions it - Bill just agrees) in this interview by the Brian Jones Fan Club

http://www.brianjonesfanclub.com/articles/a2_bill_wyman.pdf (see foot of page 31)

Klein rejected his choices as there wasnt enough publishing in it for him. I've never really understood what contractual reasons there were for ABKCO having the rights to issue an album of unreleased songs in the mid 70's. The Stones left Decca in 1970 and gave them the unreleasable Cocksucker Blues as a parting gift (the terms of the contract were that on leaving the label, the Stones had to submit the master of one unreleased song), so its a bit hard to comprehend why ABKCO were able to put out these songs five years after the Stones parted company with them. Anyone know?

Bill seems to have assembled the Black Box album immediately after the Rotterdam 'Black and Blue' sessions ended in early February 1975.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/chron1975.html

Let's go get drunk

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)