Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NO SECURITY APPRECIATION THREAD (Read 3,263 times)
PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Re: NO SECURITY APPRECIATION THREAD
Reply #25 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 7:35am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Perks..

You had me madly looking for this "wonderful" album Cheesy in my organized chaos. Then, I found myself frantically trying to remember what was on it-other than "Memory Motel."   

Guess where I found it?  It was next to DMB's "Crash"!!!!!

No...
I did not take it out and play it.
I just relocated it to its proper spot on the shelf.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 10:34am
" Joey, I'm not so sure the ladies at the Brazen Head give you their real names.. "

< ------ Joey loves ' Bar Talk '

Oh, Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijikins  )  ....... you BAD !!!!!

O'kins ! ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #27 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 12:19pm
Thanks Gazza, they definitely used the hottest chick for the cover.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 12:32pm
corgi37 wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 7:32am:
Thats pretty harsh to ban her, Gazza, just because her b/f was a optometrist.

:smile

Looking at her, its a bit hard to believe her boyfriend is too bothered about his eyesight.....

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 12:32pm
ijwthstd wrote on Apr 18th, 2009 at 12:19pm:
Thanks Gazza, they definitely used the hottest chick for the cover.

Pretty stiff competition there, eh?

... ... ...
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 4:03pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 17th, 2009 at 6:08pm:
Quote:
i think this cd is on of the stone's best live ones.  the sister morphine song is great aswell as memory motel.  i listened to this a few times this early spring.

Are you fucking serious?

well, the Stones performed 'Memory Motel' very nicely, but Dave Matthews' presence on it was about as welcome as a fart in a space suit....

i think he blended in quite well in that song...it was perfect for him just like eddie vedder doing wild horses with mick.  it nice that the stones share the stage and songs with other people.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #31 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 6:39pm
It sure is. Sometimes it just doesnt work out, though.

Pity, because they did some glorious versions of 'Memory Motel' on that tour (the Bremen broadcast for one).

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:25pm
I'm one who doesn't have a problem with DM on MM. He's got a nice voice & he blends in nicely. I don't really like his band that much either.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:41pm
i don't know what the chief's problem with the dmb is, but he sure sounds good singing with mick...much better than jack white dueting on loving cup from shine a light.  like bitch pointed out awhile back he sounds like a little boy and i agree.  dave mathews does not sound like a little boy.  dave is an experienced singer.

Shit!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #34 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:45pm
Quote:
i don't know what the chief's problem with the dmb is, but he sure sounds good singing with mick...much better than jack white dueting on loving cup from shine a light.  like bitch pointed out awhile back he sounds like a little boy and i agree.  dave mathews does not sound like a little boy.  dave is an experienced singer.

Shit!

Saying it was better than Jack White on SAL is damning with faint praise. I like Jack but that was simply an example of a poor song choice that didnt work.

Nothin' against Dave personally - dont know enough about him to be honest - however Memory Motel is pretty special as its unusual in a Stones song to hear Mick and Keith trade lead vocals. Its also one of my favourite Stones songs, so I just saw it as an opportunity missed to get a good live rendition recorded for posterity.

We waited a long time to get them to play it (I think Voodoo Lounge and BTB/No Security were maybe the only tours when they did)
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:47pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:58pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:45pm:
Quote:
i don't know what the chief's problem with the dmb is, but he sure sounds good singing with mick...much better than jack white dueting on loving cup from shine a light.  like bitch pointed out awhile back he sounds like a little boy and i agree.  dave mathews does not sound like a little boy.  dave is an experienced singer.

Shit!

Saying it was better than Jack White on SAL is damning with faint praise. I like Jack but that was simply an example of a poor song choice that didnt work.

who'd a thunk eh.  i sometimes wonder if the stones think they fucked up.  i am not a large fan of the white stripes but when i first heard he was going to sing next to mick i was very excited...what the hell was i thinking.  but i do think the stones, by and large make good decisions who sings with them.  it will be interesting, if and when they tour again to see who they ask as guest appearances.

That was clever

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #36 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:04pm
Quote:
Quote:

Shit!

who'd a thunk eh.  i sometimes wonder if the stones think they fucked up.  i am not a large fan of the white stripes but when i first heard he was going to sing next to mick i was very excited...what the hell was i thinking.  but i do think the stones, by and large make good decisions who sings with them.  it will be interesting, if and when they tour again to see who they ask as guest appearances.

That was clever

this is true. Although sometimes its the ones that sound exciting on paper that end up being underwhelming.

... ... ...
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:07pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:04pm:
Quote:
Quote:

Shit!

who'd a thunk eh.  i sometimes wonder if the stones think they fucked up.  i am not a large fan of the white stripes but when i first heard he was going to sing next to mick i was very excited...what the hell was i thinking.  but i do think the stones, by and large make good decisions who sings with them.  it will be interesting, if and when they tour again to see who they ask as guest appearances.

That was clever

this is true. Although sometimes its the ones that sound exciting on paper that end up being underwhelming.

and he was a perfect example.....i guess.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:51am
No Security is a good live cd to turn your non fanatical friends onto bc its not smothered with the usual greatest hits. Some really good songs on there like Live With Me, Respectable and Morphine - that the non Stones fan that just owns 40 Licks might not otherwise know of.

hopefully one day they'll release a DVD of the tour bc it was THE COOLEST intro ever and seeing them rock on the no frills stage is a great antedote to all the naysayers that complain of the glitzy circus like stadium shows where they hide behind all their bells and whistles

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #39 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:59am
Saint Sway wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:51am:
No Security is a good live cd to turn your non fanatical friends onto bc its not smothered with the usual greatest hits. Some really good songs on there like Live With Me, Respectable and Morphine - that the non Stones fan that just owns 40 Licks might not otherwise know of.

hopefully one day they'll release a DVD of the tour bc it was THE COOLEST intro ever and seeing them rock on the no frills stage is a great antedote to all the naysayers that complain of the glitzy circus like stadium shows where they hide behind all their bells and whistles

Is this a serious post about the Rolling Stones?  Sway, are you feeling alright?

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #40 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:07am
When it came out, they made a conscious decision to not include any songs that had been on any live album in the last two decades, hence the somewhat ambitious (by Stones standards) track selection.

Unfortunately, the album absolutely tanked commercially - it was probably the worst selling and lowest charting album whose release they'd ever sanctioned. Even more unforgiveable when you consider that two weeks after it's release they announced the extension of their 1997-98 with a US leg named after the album which saw them ask (successfully) their fans to dig deeper and fork out unprecedently sky high prices to see them.

A bit of a watershed on reflection. From then on there was more emphasis than ever before on getting rich bums on seats even if they often belonged to people who werent that interested in hearing anything beyond the 'hits' - although to the band's credit on that particular tour they still made the effort to dig deep and pull out a few fresh gems from the back catalogue. I remember Jagger commenting at the time that he'd introduce something like 'Moonlight Mile' and he could see bemused faces in the first few rows groaning to the effect of 'what the fuck is this?'.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:08am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #41 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:12am

as you probably know, the two shows at the end of the NS leg in San Jose were filmed for release, but the project was eventually shelved. Not sure why, but I think it was along the lines of the Stones/Jagger being dissatisfied with the performance.

Pity. It was a good tour (despite Ronnie being largely AWOL throughout - although I'm sure thats nothing that a few overdubs couuldnt have fixed) and as you say, that intro was something special. It was also probably the last tour where Keith was consistently great.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #42 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:17am
agreed Gazza

most notable difference between SAL and NS is that on NS Keith played his instrument during You Got The Silver

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #43 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:25am
I honestly think that the reason Keith no longer plays and sings at the same time is related to a motor skills problem brought on by his accident. He only started doing this from the fall '06 American tour onwards. He's mentioned in interviews that he takes anti-seizure medication and its quite possible that playing guitar and singing at the same time could lead to a co-ordination problem that could trigger seizures. (he did have a few 'moments' of imbalance during the 2007 leg, remember, even falling over on at least one occasion).

Were you at the Hartford shows on that tour? Those two were my first US Stones shows and the first time (after 14 stadium shows) that I'd seen them play indoors. Voodoo, jaxx and myself decided to go to those shows and meet up for the first time as they'd decided to skip New York and these were the closest.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:33am
Gazza wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:25am:
Were you at the Hartford shows on that tour? Those two were my first US Stones shows and the first time (after 14 stadium shows) that I'd seen them play indoors. Voodoo, jaxx and myself decided to go to those shows and meet up for the first time as they'd decided to skip New York and these were the closest.

I was at the 1st of the 2 Hartford shows. Excellent. One of my favorite ever (I've been to over 50 shows)

Drank at a pub down the block from the Civic Center where the Shidoobees had a gathering. Then went to the restaurant bar (Chuck's Steak House I think) in the Civic Center right before the show (had no interest in seeing the goo goo dolls) and was quite impressed with how it looked like the bar was looted by vikings!!! They were completely out of all whiskeys and bourbons - the racks behind the bar were all empty!!! Some hard drinking Stones fans had done us proud there. I wound up drinking B&B as it was all they had left.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:41am
the pub where we had the pre-show party was called The Hartford Brewery. Just a couple of blocks from the concert venue. Presumably its the same one you were in, as Stonesdoug was there as well. Princess Margaret from Shidoobee who lived locally organised it. Theres a few photos of us elsewhere on this website taken from it. We didnt hear a note of the Goo Goo Dolls either! Night two wasa  bit better, I thought. Great seats helped and they did 'I Got The Blues' for the first time since its debut at the Marquee show in 1971. Made up for the disappointment in not getting 'Moonlight Mile' (it alternated with 'Memory Motel' which we'd got on night 1)

So there you go. We were probably standing drinking next to each other and didnt know it.

You're a few shows up on me - I'm on 47. Then again, the fuckers havent played in MY neck of the woods since September 1965, when I was 2.  Angry
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:45am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #46 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:51am
Gazza wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:07am:
When it came out, they made a conscious decision to not include any songs that had been on any live album in the last two decades, hence the somewhat ambitious (by Stones standards) track selection.

Unfortunately, the album absolutely tanked commercially - it was probably the worst selling and lowest charting album whose release they'd ever sanctioned. Even more unforgiveable when you consider that two weeks after it's release they announced the extension of their 1997-98 with a US leg named after the album which saw them ask (successfully) their fans to dig deeper and fork out unprecedently sky high prices to see them.

A bit of a watershed on reflection. From then on there was more emphasis than ever before on getting rich bums on seats even if they often belonged to people who werent that interested in hearing anything beyond the 'hits' - although to the band's credit on that particular tour they still made the effort to dig deep and pull out a few fresh gems from the back catalogue. I remember Jagger commenting at the time that he'd introduce something like 'Moonlight Mile' and he could see bemused faces in the first few rows groaning to the effect of 'what the fuck is this?'.

I know what you mean Gazza. When me and my buddy were in the front row for opening night in Oakland and Keith started playing YGTS. We went nuts...and everybody else around us looked at us like we were. Because they had no idea what song that was.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #47 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:46am
Gazza wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:12am:

as you probably know, the two shows at the end of the NS leg in San Jose were filmed for release, but the project was eventually shelved. Not sure why, but I think it was along the lines of the Stones/Jagger being dissatisfied with the performance.

Pity. It was a good tour (despite Ronnie being largely AWOL throughout - although I'm sure thats nothing that a few overdubs couuldnt have fixed) and as you say, that intro was something special. It was also probably the last tour where Keith was consistently great.

they filmed san jose? holy shiite!!! i only saw a couple of shows on that tour the second night sacramento and the second at the sja. both i thought were great. the moonlight mile is burned forever in my memory. didnt they rehearse at the fillmore?  wish i could have made the hartford shows in 99 my brother had tix, i grew up bout 5 miles away and saw my first there in 81. a friend of friend owned the brewery which sadly is now defunct. to think that all you bastards were partying there kills me......
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:48am by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #48 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 3:24pm
mojoman wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:46am:
they filmed san jose? holy shiite!!! i only saw a couple of shows on that tour the second night sacramento and the second at the sja. both i thought were great. the moonlight mile is burned forever in my memory. didnt they rehearse at the fillmore?  wish i could have made the hartford shows in 99 my brother had tix, i grew up bout 5 miles away and saw my first there in 81. a friend of friend owned the brewery which sadly is now defunct. to think that all you bastards were partying there kills me......

Yep..they rehearsed at the Fillmore for a week and then moved to the Kaiser Arena in Oakland for dress rehearsals before the opening night at the Oakland Arena on January 25th.

here we were at the Hartford Brewery...ten years younger and (in the case of Voodoo and I anyway), about 30 pounds lighter (sitting for several hours a week looking after a website takes a physical toll..LOL)

... ... ...
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 3:28pm
thats so funny Gazza! I remember people in the bar with the Police tape wrapped around them

little did I know then that one of them would turn out to be Gerardo LOL

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)