Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Fifties Thread (Read 362 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

The Fifties Thread
Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:45am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:52am by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: The Fifties Thread
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:47am
I have that Robert Gordon album "Fresh Fish Special" that he did with Link Wray. Terrific record. Includes the first release of Springsteen's "Fire" which he gave to Gordon (he'd wanted to give the song to Elvis apparently, but the King had been inconsiderate enough to die before he got the chance..) I think Bruce played piano on Gordon's version.  Bruce did 'Lonesome Train' as part of the Detroit Medley on some of the 'River' tour shows. Robert Gordon & Link Wray's version is excellent, although it doesnt quite top Johnny Burnette's.

Link was brilliant. Everyone knows 'Rumble' but my favourite of his is a lesser known instrumental called 'Deuces Wild'. When he died in November 2005, his death wasnt announced for about 2-3 weeks afterwards. The first I knew of it was the night I saw Bob Dylan at Brixton Academy and he opened the show with the first minute or so of 'Rumble' as a tribute.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:51am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 9:00pm
never understood why link wray wasn't more of an 'icon' -
his guitar sting was out there compared to anything else in early rock and roll.....
it was dirty, raunchy.....and he has pretty much been under the radar except for music buffs and musicians....
i saw him in houston about 10 years ago and he was still kicking ass...

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:33pm

IP Logged

Fabio Hot Stuff
Rocks Off Regular

http://yayasout.blog
spot.it/

Roma Italy
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 8:26am
Gazza wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:47am:
I have that Robert Gordon album "Fresh Fish Special" that he did with Link Wray. Terrific record. Includes the first release of Springsteen's "Fire" which he gave to Gordon (he'd wanted to give the song to Elvis apparently, but the King had been inconsiderate enough to die before he got the chance..) I think Bruce played piano on Gordon's version.  Bruce did 'Lonesome Train' as part of the Detroit Medley on some of the 'River' tour shows. Robert Gordon & Link Wray's version is excellent, although it doesnt quite top Johnny Burnette's.

Link was brilliant. Everyone knows 'Rumble' but my favourite of his is a lesser known instrumental called 'Deuces Wild'. When he died in November 2005, his death wasnt announced for about 2-3 weeks afterwards. The first I knew of it was the night I saw Bob Dylan at Brixton Academy and he opened the show with the first minute or so of 'Rumble' as a tribute.

Hi mate,
what you mean when you said "terrific"? in good way or bad?
I loved that album, the cover photo was excellent, and the songs are all classic, by the way... Five days...The way I walk, Red Hot ( he seems the better Van Morrison!!!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)