Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Marianne Faithfull @ Town Hall, NYC 9/24 (Read 2,523 times)
Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Re: Marianne Faithfull @ Town Hall, NYC 9/24
Reply #25 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 7:05am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Dear FotiniD,

You said it beautifully.  I'm honored to call you my friend.

FG!

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #26 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 7:51am
Thanks a lot FG, the feeling is mutual  Wink

FotiniD  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #27 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:12am
FotiniD wrote on Apr 30th, 2009 at 1:49am:
Saint Sway wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 1:36pm:
FotiniD wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 1:16pm:
Saint Sway wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:27am:
just curious...

how many people that claim to like Marriane Faithful have also attended Chris Jagger or Tim Ries shows?

I don't think I follow you  Shit!

Faithful is down right awful sounding. I cant imagine anyone would go to see the old hag perform unless they were a total Stones sycophant that is so beyond fanatical that they'll go to anything thats even on the fringe of being related to the Stones in any way. Like Mick Jagger's girlfriend of 40 years ago or Mick's brother or a jazz show by one of the Stones horn players.

Basically what I'm saying is if Chuck Leavell charged $40 to see him juggle bowling pins, these same folks would be the ones going.

theres no reason anyone here would go see Marriane Faithful had she not dated Mick 4 decades ago

I knew you were taking it there. Contrary to what you might think, I happen to have no interest in Chris Jagger's music - and certainly Chuckie never even crossed my mind as a possibility  Blank Frigging Stare

In my opinion, Marianne Faithfull has immense worth as a musician and performer. Her connection with the Stones, if anything, mainly helped in diminishing that, because just like you're doing now, people think she's only existing because she used to sleep with Mick. Let me remind you there have been legions of women who did just the same, but I don't see many of them doing what Marianne does.

I love going to her gigs and buying her records just for her. Forget the Stones connection. Not to mention that from the 90's onwards, she's done WAY better records than some certain gentlemen have.  Roll Eyes

The woman has had to spend her entire life trying to prove she's more than the "Mars bar girl" but I guess some people just don't get it. Pulling a Zappa, I'd say "you either get it or you don't".

Well done, my friend. Well done.

LJ.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #28 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:05am
You might want to pick up Carla Bruni's CD   Shocked Shocked Shocked

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #29 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:37am
Marianne Faithfull is an artist in her own right. If you can't see that, hey, different strokes for different folks. There are plenty of artists discussed on this board that I don't care for, but there's no reason for me to slag them. Interesting how the word "hag" is used by certain posters too - it speaks volumes about their attitude towards women. Nothing surprising about that though, is there.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #30 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:50am
Chris Jagger is also an artist in his own right too

Doesnt mean he's any good. And, like Faithful, it doesnt mean you'd have any interest in seeing him/her live if it wasnt for their relation to Mick.

Fact is, outside of a Stones board you find wont anyone talking about going to see her.

No one outside of here gives .02 cents about her

Try finding anyone on a Dylan, Springsteen, U2 or Zep site (insert any other band that people profess liking) that has any interest in seeing her.... you wont.  Its only Stones psycophants.

That says it all right there. She dated Mick and people are fascinated in her for that. If she hadnt no one here would care. Thats the bottom line.

I'm not saying you cant like her - its all subjective after all. To each their own. Just own the reason why you have any vested interest in in the first place.  People from Stones sites also go to see Blondie Chaplin. I mean, really....

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #31 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:05am
So you are saying that the following posters are Stones psychophants:

glencar
SweetVirginia
LadyJane
FotiniD
GotToRollMe
Bitch
FactoryGirl
Gazza

Is that correct?

Yet YOU were bragging last month about YOUR involvement with the shooting of Bernard Fowler's latest video. Shouldn't I include you in the above list??

You know ZERO about our musical tastes and everyone can see what you are doing. You are baiting a good group of people.

We see you for what YOU are just as you claim to see US for what WE are. Nothing left to say really.

LJ.

Oh and btw it's spelled F-A-I-T-H-F-U-L-L. Wink

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:12am by LadyJane »  

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:07am
if the shoe fits...

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:22pm
Actually, my brother-in-law doesn't really like the Stones but he was psyched when he heard I was going to see MF. I'm not sure I'd call her a hag. She's still quite attractive.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:24pm
Saint Sway wrote on Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:05am:
You might want to pick up Carla Bruni's CD   Shocked Shocked Shocked

I saw her on Letterman & youtube & she's got a pretty nice voice. I don't know if I'd see her in concert but she's not some empty-headed wanna-be.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #35 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:28pm
LJ & GTRM, right on!  You rock!

And yes, the use of "hag" does say a lot...

FotiniD  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #36 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:29pm
If people wanna go see a person and band for whatever the reason.....to quote Tom L....Whose fuckin business is it anyway?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:39pm
Unh unh. There's a place for valid criticism & then there's what Sway is doing. You could say her voice is unappealing or that she does the same old set list (neither is true) but it's kinda crazy to say people only like her because she used to love MJ. That might be why some people know about her but that isn't what leads people to like her music, at least in my case.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:40pm
you say tomato.... I say old prune

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:41pm
Well, that is a bad shot, I must say. Especially next to Claudia...

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 12:45pm
She sings like an angel.

An angel that smokes 7 packs a day.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #41 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 1:27pm
What's with all the bitterness Saint Sway? OK, so you don't like her, you've made your point. Will a series of repetitive posts make it any clearer?

FotiniD  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 5:00pm
Quote:
Well, that is a bad shot, I must say. Especially next to Claudia...

any woman looks like shit next to claudia.  except maybe a man's wife.

piss off

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #43 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:26am
Actually Marianne has a fan base, and when I saw her it was a sold out show and only a few people that were there post here! So obviously she draws a crowd, whether its out of curiosity, talent, nastalgia or her Stones-connection. I went out of curiosity and Stones-connection, and it was a satisfying show and I was entertained by her. That's all a concert is, an evening of entertainment, and every artist offers a different flavor, so each show cannot be the absolute favorite artist of choice, like THE STONES! You get out of it what there is to offer and it takes your mind off the troubles and strife of real life for a few hours as you enjoy a night out!  

really?

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #44 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:51am
for my baby sway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_rNz2oAGA

not half bad, i'd say. sure, her voice is haggard and worn, but so is dylan's and tom waits's too. sway, do you think they sing like they smoke 7 packs a day?

that being said, sway has a point...had she not boinked mick and started a side hobby of being found naked wrapped in rugs, would anyone remember her? most likely not.

BUT...like jane asher, she did have a name before she hooked up with a rock star.

CBS News "Sunday Morning" did a story on her this morning. cool story. check out the photo montage:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/sunday/main3445.shtml

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:53am
Bitch wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 10:26am:
Actually Marianne has a fan base, and when I saw her it was a sold out show and only a few people that were there post here! So obviously she draws a crowd, whether its out of curiosity, talent, nastalgia or her Stones-connection. I went out of curiosity and Stones-connection, and it was a satisfying show and I was entertained by her. That's all a concert is, an evening of entertainment, and every artist offers a different flavor, so each show cannot be the absolute favorite artist of choice, like THE STONES! You get out of it what there is to offer and it takes your mind off the troubles and strife of real life for a few hours as you enjoy a night out!  

really?

True. The night I saw her it was the most un rock n roll/Stones-like crowd I've ever seen at any concert. I didnt know there were so many people like THAT where I live. It was like being at the Royal Variety Performance. All that was missing was John Lennon asking them to 'rattle your jewellery'.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 11:00am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #46 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:59am
Starbuck wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 10:51am:
for my baby sway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_rNz2oAGA

not half bad, i'd say. sure, her voice is haggard and worn, but so is dylan's and tom waits's too. sway, do you think they sing like they smoke 7 packs a day?

that being said, sway has a point...had she not boinked mick and started a side hobby of being found naked wrapped in rugs, would anyone remember her? most likely not.

Had you asked that question prior to 1979, I'd have agreed with you. Her career was all but over for the decade after she split up with Mick. However, since her comeback with 'Broken English', she's pretty much stood on her own two feet. She doesnt need the Stones to eek out an existence as an artist. She's been in the public eye for 45 years - her relationship with the Stones took up, what, 6 years of that?

Its the MEDIA who keep going on about her relationship with the Stones ad nauseam any time she releases a record or performs. Its their problem that their knowledge of some artists' music is minimal and that they cant get beyond the 60's. Most people in the real world have moved on.

In a way she's in a similar situation to Bill Wyman. If she's doing an interview and there are 25 questions and three of them are related to the Rolling Stones, they will be the ones that get highlighted and taken out of context to suit the agenda of the interviewer.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 11:01am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #47 - May 3rd, 2009 at 5:04pm
Well, she did have Keith guest on the latest albim. I recorded the CBS interview this am but haven't watched it yet.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #48 - May 3rd, 2009 at 7:23pm
Quote:
Well, she did have Keith guest on the latest albim. I recorded the CBS interview this am but haven't watched it yet.

i saw this too.  it was on the program on ch#2 hosted by charles osgood...right?

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #49 - May 4th, 2009 at 3:26pm
Yes, the reporter for the piece was Antony Mason who seemed enthralled by her. It was nicely done & I'm 100% sure that part of the performance was from The Winery show that Bitch & I attended because I'll never forget that tongue swirl.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)