Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Your first Rolling Stones Gig !! (Read 4,257 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Your first Rolling Stones Gig !!
Reply #50 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 9:56pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
July 26,1978 Oakland Coliseum. Mick's birthday. I was 15. Opening acts were Santana,Eddie Money and Peter Tosh. There was a 2 hour wait in between Santana and the Stones coming on. I remember it like it was yesterday...In fact,the setlist could have been done yesterday. Considering how little it's changed in 30 years.

Let it Rock
All Down the Line 
Honky Tonk Women
Star Star
When the Whip Comes Down
Beast of Burden 
Lies
Miss You
Just My Imagination 
Shattered 
Respectable
Far Away Eyes
Love in Vain 
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Sweet Little Sixteen
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash 
Satisfaction

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 10:11pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 1:51pm:
9/26/81 - JFK Stadium in Philly.

Thorogood wasn't bad, slept through Journey, then waited an eternity for the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band - they did not disappoint. 

Plenty of hits, Tattoo You, and nuggets like 'Down The Road Apiece', 'Mona' and 'Twenty Flight Rock'.

Still a true believer all these years later...

You went the day after me...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #52 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 10:24pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 1:33pm:
LadyJane wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 12:53pm:
1975 Tour of the Americas, Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, June 15, 1975.

I was 2 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear!!!!
Really!!!!!!!!!!
Why would I lie????  Ouch!

LJ.

Whats the matter, LJ?  Did our youngster, Throwaway make you feel old?

Remember age is a state of mind...

This will be you in retirement living.. Grin Wink

Oh I dunno, I see LJ living more like this in her "old" age:

After all, LJ, ya know what they say:

Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2009 at 11:09pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #53 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 10:30pm
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 5:49pm:
Throwaway wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 12:47pm:
Date:  8/1/94
Venue: R.F.K. Stadium - Washington, DC
Setlist:
Not Fade Away
Undercover Of The Night
Tumbling Dice
Live With Me
You Got Me Rockin'
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Beast Of Burden
Out Of Tears
Memory Motel
Can't Get Next To You
All Down The Line
Hot Stuff
Brand New Car
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Honky Tonk Woman
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

I was 7 years old, and I remember the HUGE stage and the props duing SFM.  During Out of Tears, many held out their lighters, it was quite special.  I thought "The Worst" kind of sucked, but other than that I dug every song.  I was way too young, and the term "warhorse" had not come into existence yet, so I was quite thrilled to hear them all, even Start Me Up.  I probably didn't realize it was the first US date for the tour, but I do remember the Voodoo Lounge cassette (and CD, for when we rode in my dad's car) getting  heavy play.  I was allowed to use the word "cunt" only when singing I Go Wild, but that was it.

Hloy Freaking Jesus!!!  I was at that show also, and the show on 8/3/94.   8/1/94  was the VL Tour show opener, and Jack Nicholson was in attendance.

I would like to nuzzle you.  I think they did some crazy sh-t during Love Is Strong, like huge blow-up women?  I don't think I knew who Jack was back then, but that musta been pretty cool.  I'm guessing you saw the '05 show @ MCI Center too?  Another good one.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #54 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 10:34pm
Even though I loved the Stones since '64, I didn't actually see them live until 1989, though I did see The New Barbarians in '79. My first Stones show was at Shea Stadium in New York, October 26, 1989, and the setlist (thanks to Gazza's RO setlist pages) was:

Start Me Up
Bitch
Sad Sad Sad
Undercover
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Ruby Tuesday
Play With Fire
Dead Flowers
Rock And A Hard Place
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Woman
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Can't Be Seen
Happy
Paint It Black
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy For The Devil
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash

My favorite shows were the three nights at MSG in January, 1998 during the Bridges To Babylon tour though. I can still see those headlights coming down and hear the hydraulics of that huge bridge going out to the B-stage. Outstanding!
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2009 at 10:41pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #55 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 1:19am
Throwaway wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 10:30pm:
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 5:49pm:
Throwaway wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 12:47pm:
Date:  8/1/94
Venue: R.F.K. Stadium - Washington, DC
Setlist:
Not Fade Away
Undercover Of The Night
Tumbling Dice
Live With Me
You Got Me Rockin'
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Beast Of Burden
Out Of Tears
Memory Motel
Can't Get Next To You
All Down The Line
Hot Stuff
Brand New Car
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Honky Tonk Woman
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

I was 7 years old, and I remember the HUGE stage and the props duing SFM.  During Out of Tears, many held out their lighters, it was quite special.  I thought "The Worst" kind of sucked, but other than that I dug every song.  I was way too young, and the term "warhorse" had not come into existence yet, so I was quite thrilled to hear them all, even Start Me Up.  I probably didn't realize it was the first US date for the tour, but I do remember the Voodoo Lounge cassette (and CD, for when we rode in my dad's car) getting  heavy play.  I was allowed to use the word "cunt" only when singing I Go Wild, but that was it.

Hloy Freaking Jesus!!!  I was at that show also, and the show on 8/3/94.   8/1/94  was the VL Tour show opener, and Jack Nicholson was in attendance.

I would like to nuzzle you.  I think they did some crazy sh-t during Love Is Strong, like huge blow-up women?  I don't think I knew who Jack was back then, but that musta been pretty cool.  I'm guessing you saw the '05 show @ MCI Center too?  Another good one.

Yes, the blow up honky tonk women were HOT HOT HOT.  VL was one of my favorite tours!!   I also saw them at Fex Ex Field in around 1997 and also 2002 (the Stokes opened!).   I saw them at MCI in 2005, and in Baltimore in 2006.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2009 at 1:20am by Factory Girl »  

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #56 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:40am
I got that '02 show @ FedEx (parking lot was hell afterwards), '05 @ MCI of course, and AC in Oct. 06.  Not sure what happened for Bridges/No Security, I think I went through a bit of a rap phase then (I was in middle school, you see). 

I'm sure we were all satisfied with the first shows we saw.  I know I was! We couldn't compare them to Ladies & Gents, which we've seen dozens of times, or those great boots from '78, or the thousands of 'paper shows' for which we've just seen setlists.

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Maryland , USA
Reply #57 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:56am
Stewed n Keefed wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 2:28pm:
1st November 1963. Odeon,Rochester,Kent,England. 1st show.

That is awesome SnK....... do you have any fond memories of the show you care to share?Was this a show with many other acts or were the boys the only act that day?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #58 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:11am
cabledogg2 wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:56am:

That is awesome SnK....... do you have any fond memories of the show you care to share?Was this a show with many other acts or were the boys the only act that day?

The Stones only had one single out by that time, and tours back then were package tours with multiple acts on the bill. This show would have been towards the end of their first ever national tour, when they appeared down the bill below The Everly Brothers, Bo Diddley and Little Richard.

I'd be interested to know whether SnK went specifically to see the Stones or the headline acts  - or did he just discover them having seen them at this gig?

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #59 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:14am
Imagine people in the early sixties goin to a show to see Everley Brothers etc and WHAM..Who the fuck are these amazing guys!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #60 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:15am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 1:51pm:
9/26/81 - JFK Stadium in Philly.

Thorogood wasn't bad, slept through Journey, then waited an eternity for the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band - they did not disappoint.  

The 'Melody Maker' glowingly reviewed the opening 2 shows of the tour from Philadelphia. Reading the comments, I was excited enough to make an immediate mental note to catch the Stones when they toured Europe next year at all costs.

They didnt like Journey though, as I recall, and said that "Steve Perry sang like a mortally wounded dog".....

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #61 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:16am
gimmekeef wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:14am:
Imagine people in the early sixties goin to a show to see Everley Brothers etc and WHAM..Who the fuck are these amazing guys!

Wham werent around back then! George Michael would only have been a few months old, surely... Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

... ... ...
IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Maryland , USA
Reply #62 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:18am
Gazza wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:11am:
cabledogg2 wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:56am:

The Stones only had one single out by that time, and tours back then were package tours with multiple acts on the bill. This show would have been towards the end of their first ever national tour, when they appeared down the bill below The Everly Brothers, Bo Diddley and Little Richard.

I'd be interested to know whether SnK went specifically to see the Stones or the headline acts  - or did he just discover them having seen them at this gig?

Thanks gazza they probsbly played for 20 minutes.....i woner what the setlist was?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #63 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:23am
http://rocksoff.org/1963.htm

There's a setlist there for 29.9.63 from the first show of that tour. According to the notes (taken from James Karnbach's book) the setlist varied a bit during the tour but it was probably along those lines.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #64 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 3:56pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:23am:

There's a setlist there for 29.9.63 from the first show of that tour. According to the notes (taken from James Karnbach's book) the setlist varied a bit during the tour but it was probably along those lines.

That is just an AMAZING list of concerts for 1963! I know they played a LOT, but just scrollig down and down and DOWN....you really learn your "chops" when you play that much. How exciting it would have been to have seen the shows back then!

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #65 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 4:19pm
Sioux wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 3:56pm:
Gazza wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:23am:

That is just an AMAZING list of concerts for 1963! I know they played a LOT, but just scrollig down and down and DOWN....you really learn your "chops" when you play that much. How exciting it would have been to have seen the shows back then!

take a look at the lists for 1964 and 1965, though as well, Sioux. I think in 1964 they played something like 322 shows or thereabouts. Astonishing. They played about 850 shows from 1963-65.

To get some perspective. The Stones' 2,000th concert took place in August 2006. Their 1,000th occurred as far back as April 1967.

Even the entire period Mick Taylor was in the band, they played just 172 shows. Nowadays a world tour lasts almost as many shows as that.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #66 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:25pm
Throwaway wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:40am:
I got that '02 show @ FedEx (parking lot was hell afterwards), '05 @ MCI of course, and AC in Oct. 06.  Not sure what happened for Bridges/No Security, I think I went through a bit of a rap phase then (I was in middle school, you see).  

I'm sure we were all satisfied with the first shows we saw.  I know I was! We couldn't compare them to Ladies & Gents, which we've seen dozens of times, or those great boots from '78, or the thousands of 'paper shows' for which we've just seen setlists.  

Actually, I think the 1994 VL tour and the 1997-1998 tour (also MCI) were my favorite Stones shows. 

I've ssen a lot of AWESOME shows at MCI (including Page/Plant).  Did you catch Page with the Black Crowes at Nissan (around 2002)?  That was just fucking KILLER.  One of my top 3 shows ever. You rock!

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #67 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:27pm
Yep, I've seen those years---'64, '65, Gazza......they had to have been the most active band in Britain at the time! I can't imagine any other group playing that many gigs. Imagine how many more there would have been if they had toured in '68 and up to mid '69...

I think the most exciting place on earth, in 1963, had to be Britain. In the U.S., musically, things were still pretty bleak. We did have a few redeeming aspects---Phil Spector's girl groups, Gene Pitney, Del Shannon, Dion, early Motown....but, for the most part, our music had stagnated and I was wondering who in the WORLD was listening to Bobby Vinton {Certainly not me! Certainly not my parents!}. But, by the end of '64, the tides were stirring with the rumble of what what happening across the pond. And boy, 1964 was the beginning of it ALL for us over here! Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:29pm by Sioux »  

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #68 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:35pm
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:25pm:
Throwaway wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:40am:
I got that '02 show @ FedEx (parking lot was hell afterwards), '05 @ MCI of course, and AC in Oct. 06.  Not sure what happened for Bridges/No Security, I think I went through a bit of a rap phase then (I was in middle school, you see).  

I'm sure we were all satisfied with the first shows we saw.  I know I was! We couldn't compare them to Ladies & Gents, which we've seen dozens of times, or those great boots from '78, or the thousands of 'paper shows' for which we've just seen setlists.  

Actually, I think the 1994 VL tour and the 1997-1998 tour (also MCI) were my favorite Stones shows.  

I've ssen a lot of AWESOME shows at MCI (including Page/Plant).  Did you catch Page with the Black Crowes at Nissan (around 2002)?  That was just fucking KILLER.  One of my top 3 shows ever. You rock!

Ahh, I was a bit of a 'late bloomer' for non-Stones music, so I was only about 13 or 14 (00-01) when TBC and Page toured together.  My fav. DC area venues are MCI/Verizon and the 9:30; for B-more I like Ram's Head Live.  Ram's Head Annapolis is real nice for the smaller acts, too.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 8:03pm
Sioux wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:27pm:
Yep, I've seen those years---'64, '65, Gazza......they had to have been the most active band in Britain at the time! I can't imagine any other group playing that many gigs. Imagine how many more there would have been if they had toured in '68 and up to mid '69...

I think the most exciting place on earth, in 1963, had to be Britain. In the U.S., musically, things were still pretty bleak. We did have a few redeeming aspects---Phil Spector's girl groups, Gene Pitney, Del Shannon, Dion, early Motown....but, for the most part, our music had stagnated and I was wondering who in the WORLD was listening to Bobby Vinton {Certainly not me! Certainly not my parents!}. But, by the end of '64, the tides were stirring with the rumble of what what happening across the pond. And boy, 1964 was the beginning of it ALL for us over here! Smiley

WHAT?  no Elvis sioux?

piss off

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #70 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:39pm
Quote:

WHAT?  no Elvis sioux?

piss off

Well......I was talking 1963.....Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent....even Dion, actually.....some were dead, some not recording much. It was the end of one age and we were in anticipation of another. Elvis had a couple of good songs in the early 60's {Little Sister, especially}, but not a whole lot else. He was starting to be known for his movie songs, some of which were fairly forgettable by then...

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #71 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 5:35pm:
To this day it remains the only solo release played at a Stones concert (although technically you could argue that it was a cover version as Ronnie wasn't a Stone during the 1975 tour)

"Si, si, je suis un rock star," by Bill, played in 1982?

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #72 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 6:43am
1989- Atlanta- Ga. Tech-
They sold out quick and the day of the concert as I was tooling around in my 78 Honda 96 Rock announced tickets available at Turtles, so I cruise up to Akers Mill and buy 1 seat and get downtown at 2pm. I hang out the whole day and check out the scene and then when I get to my seat I am right of the stage as far up and away as possible with my back against the wall. It was very cold that day. I had my binoculaurs and could see the group and what was going on as they were coming on stage. I saw Keith light something and smoke it and it was passed around to a few people and then shortly after the show started, I warmed up pronto! Living Colour opened.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #73 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:01am
andrews27 wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 11:23pm:
Gazza wrote on Apr 11th, 2009 at 5:35pm:
To this day it remains the only solo release played at a Stones concert (although technically you could argue that it was a cover version as Ronnie wasn't a Stone during the 1975 tour)

"Si, si, je suis un rock star," by Bill, played in 1982?

Definitely not!  Boring post

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #74 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:02am
Quote:

WHAT?  no Elvis sioux?

piss off

Elvis didnt tour between 1957 and 1970

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)