Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
24 is back!!! (Read 3,990 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: 24 is back!!!
Reply #50 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:37pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So now that we can talk about the show again.What did everybody think of last night's 2 Hrs? I enjoyed it. Checked my disbeliefs at the door and was entertained by it....Plus we got our first look this season at Chloe Who stole this one? (Seriously)

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #51 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:38pm
jostorm wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 1:55pm:
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 12:21pm:
 The tribalist response is always festering in the primordial ooze that is the human unconscious (see Wilhelm Reich's The Mass Psychology of Fascism).  Shows like "24" succeed by appealing to such base instincts.

Someone articulate actually philosophises here??? And he/she can actually spell???  Am I on the wrong board????
Smiley

You nailed it, BrainbellJangler! Unfortunately, I am far more cynical (and probably older) than you and think that, in the great historical picture, if you blinked you probably missed Enlightenment altogether...

Wasn't there a psychological experiment with over twenty students about 20 years ago at some American University (was it Stanford?) in which "tribalism" made nice, open-minded students turn into power-hungry jailors that tortured their "captives"??? I think that a German movie from 2008 dealt with the same subject, how human decency goes out the window in the face of total power. I doubt that many people think about "right" or "wrong" when they watch 24, they are far too busy riding the adrenaline wave.

Thank you kindly, jo.  There's no certainty that you're much older than I; I watched the Stones' first appearance on Ed Sullivan.  You're thinking of Stanley Milgram's "Obedience and Individual Responsibility" experiment at Yale.  In some ways, it's unfortunate that contemporary ethical rules prevent duplication of such experiments.  The truly frightening thing is howe [sic] easily well-intentioned persons, such as some on this board, can be herded into fascism if the perceived threat is serious or immediate enough.  Of course, there are always plenty of those who are all too eager to Rush [sic] into reaction.  And I'm sure you're right about the adrenaline reaction obliterating critical thinking; it's the basis of an entire political philosophy:  "What good fortune for those in power that people do not think."--Adolph Hitler

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #52 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:41pm
nankerphelge wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:36pm:
It isn't an argument.

It is a discussion of the great show along with some commentary and bad logic by our resident apologists!

True, but I wasn't expecting you--or any of the show's apologists--to admit that.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #53 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:42pm
That's really the best you can do?

"I know you are, but what am I?"

IP Logged

monkey_man
Rocks Off Regular

Fac ut vivas.

Reply #54 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:43pm
LadyJane wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:33pm:
monkey_man wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:28pm:
Crikey this show is a work of fiction! Settle down y'all. It's entertainment that is a world class drinking game. Everytime a woman connives drink a shot. Anytime someone on the show screams "who are you working for?" you pound a tall boy. I'm trashed 25 minutes into the show!

Great idea!
Bless you m_m Wink

I really didn't want this thread to turn into yet another argument but ya know howe we are around here.

LJ.

We need to add bong hits for every time Chloe sticks her lower lip out. What can we add for everytime Janene Garafalo winces causes she's sold her soul to work for Fox. . . .

...&&&&.........&&&&"In other words shut the hell up about what others believe. It only makes you look like a small minded snob. "&&&&Riffy

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #55 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:47pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:37pm:
So now that we can talk about the show again.What did everybody think of last night's 2 Hrs? I enjoyed it. Checked my disbeliefs at the door and was entertained by it....Plus we got our first look this season at Chloe Who stole this one? (Seriously)

I thoroughly enjoyed it scl.
I cheered when I saw Bill and Chloe and I'm so glad Tony is undercover.
It's been so long since we last saw this great show, I felt like I had old friends over.

I'm hoping this Season they will not wander off into too many sub plots. I like the change of venue to DC as well.

And bong hits are a great idea mm.

Looks like we have "dueling" Chloe's.

I'm psyched.

LJ.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #56 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:18pm
monkey_man wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:43pm:
LadyJane wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:33pm:
[quote author=monkey_man link=1231726576/25#49 date=1231882080]Crikey this show is a work of fiction! Settle down y'all. It's entertainment that is a world class drinking game. Everytime a woman connives drink a shot. Anytime someone on the show screams "who are you working for?" you pound a tall boy. I'm trashed 25 minutes into the show!

We need to add bong hits for every time Chloe sticks her lower lip out. What can we add for everytime Janene Garafalo winces causes she's sold her soul to work for Fox. . . .

I tried that last night. Room started spinning after a while Better seen on weed!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #57 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:44am
my favourite t.v show, at the moment is Mad Men

we've only had Season 1, so far, in the UK, but i'm pretty much addicted.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:50am
Heart Of Stone wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:24pm:
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:20pm:
LadyJane wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 12:09pm:
Translation: Another condescending reply to someone who hasn't the "intelligence" to DARE ask a question of the all knowing Contrarian.

LJ.

I'll answer the hypo.  The major premise, that torture yields reliable intelligence, is false.  I know that some here claim that waterboarding caused Khalid Sheik Yerbouti to reveal some terror plot.  Please provide proof.  Then there is the slippery slope argument.  It may well be that all of us would be safer if we were subjected to constant surveillance.  Who wants that?  The fact is that our values and liberties come with a price.  Totalitarian regimes throughout history have held power not by force, but by firghtening the majority into submission "for their own protection."  If we surrender our values out of fear, the terrorists win.

One of the things you have wrong is you're avatier covering up your comments, how about making your avatier smaller, this has been going on for ages, I can't properly read your posts.

It's an avatar & if anything, he should make it BIGGER! Who wants to read that drivel anyway. Here was have a thread started on an awesome adventure show & the usual trolls show up to fight with everyone else. That's less than awesome. It's fucking tiresome.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:52am
Ade wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:44am:

Someone bought me Mad Men for my burfday & I have to say it's kind of boring. I've only made it through the 1st 2 episodes. What do you think of Spooks? Note: That's NOT an Obama reference!!! There's a BBC show called Spooks that's a lot like 24 except they're not as tough over there.

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #60 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:00am
Spooks is '24-lite' if thats possible  Wink

it's not essential viewing, by any means.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:03am
Ade wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:00am:
Spooks is '24-lite' if thats possible  Wink

it's not essential viewing, by any means.

I agree. I've been rewatching episodes from 2004 with McFayden as the hero. He's in a relationship but can tell his woman what he does for a living.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #62 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 2:05pm
Quote:
Translation: Another condescending reply to someone who hasn't the "intelligence" to DARE ask a question of the all knowing Contrarian.

LJ.

I'll answer the hypo.  The major premise, that torture yields reliable intelligence, is false.  I know that some here claim that waterboarding caused Khalid Sheik Yerbouti to reveal some terror plot.  Please provide proof.  Then there is the slippery slope argument.  It may well be that all of us would be safer if we were subjected to constant surveillance.  Who wants that?  The fact is that our values and liberties come with a price.  Totalitarian regimes throughout history have held power not by force, but by firghtening the majority into submission "for their own protection."  If we surrender our values out of fear, the terrorists win.

One of the things you have wrong is you're avatier covering up your comments, how about making your avatier smaller, this has been going on for ages, I can't properly read your posts.

It's an avatar & if anything, he should make it BIGGER! Who wants to read that drivel anyway. Here was have a thread started on an awesome adventure show & the usual trolls show up to fight with everyone else. That's less than awesome. It's fucking tiresome.

I presume that you are including jizzy and I among the "usual trolls" you accuse of fighting with "everyone else."  Is jostorm on your troll list, too?  She seems to agree with me.  And I'm not surprised you found "Mad Men" boring; it doesn't involve a lot of adrenalin-inducing mayhem.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #63 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 2:10pm

LJ.

I'll answer the hypo.  The major premise, that torture yields reliable intelligence, is false.  I know that some here claim that waterboarding caused Khalid Sheik Yerbouti to reveal some terror plot.  Please provide proof.  Then there is the slippery slope argument.  It may well be that all of us would be safer if we were subjected to constant surveillance.  Who wants that?  The fact is that our values and liberties come with a price.  Totalitarian regimes throughout history have held power not by force, but by firghtening the majority into submission "for their own protection."  If we surrender our values out of fear, the terrorists win.

I'm puzzled by the avatar problem.  It doesn't cover up posts on my screen except when I'm using the iphone.  Sometimes it looks larger, sometimes it doesn't.  Anyway, I've changed it; I hope it helps.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 3:08pm
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 2:05pm:
Quote:

LJ.

I'll answer the hypo.  The major premise, that torture yields reliable intelligence, is false.  I know that some here claim that waterboarding caused Khalid Sheik Yerbouti to reveal some terror plot.  Please provide proof.  Then there is the slippery slope argument.  It may well be that all of us would be safer if we were subjected to constant surveillance.  Who wants that?  The fact is that our values and liberties come with a price.  Totalitarian regimes throughout history have held power not by force, but by firghtening the majority into submission "for their own protection."  If we surrender our values out of fear, the terrorists win.

I presume that you are including jizzy and I among the "usual trolls" you accuse of fighting with "everyone else."  Is jostorm on your troll list, too?  She seems to agree with me.  And I'm not surprised you found "Mad Men" boring; it doesn't involve a lot of adrenalin-inducing mayhem.

No, instead it involves a lot of snore-inducing drivel. Figures you like it.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #65 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:25pm
That was clever

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #66 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 5:25pm

Excellent show, Ade.
It gets even better in Season 2.
Enjoy!

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #67 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:04pm
SweetVirginia wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 5:25pm:

Excellent show, Ade.
It gets even better in Season 2.
Enjoy!

At least the 3 of us enjoy "snore-inducing drivel."  Maybe they could add a few torture scenes to hold glencar's limited attention span.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 1:48pm
Only if you're the torture victim. Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #69 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 4:44pm
Quote:
Only if you're the torture victim. Thanks in advance!

So much for that New Year's resolution.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 5:02pm
But I am staying off the politics thread.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #71 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 11:39pm
Quote:
But I am staying off the politics thread.

Oh, Reilly?

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #72 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 5:10am
bitter old men stick together....enemies could be everywhere, you know?  LOL!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)