Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
On this day in history.....(nsc) (Read 542 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
On this day in history.....(nsc)
Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:15pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
.....Prohibition in America ends on 5 December, 1933.

But if you had to wake up next to one of these ladies, would Prohibition have kept you from drinking?  Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Re: On this day in history.....(nsc)
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Let's hope it doesn't take 75 more years to end Cannabis Prohibition.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:52pm:

smoking more weed is good for your health

you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:14am
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:52pm:

Don't hold your breath.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:47am

<------ Weeding ?!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:01pm
Prohibition doesn't work... it didn't work with alchohol and it has not worked with drugs. If prohibiting a substance and throwing people into jail for its use and possession was going to work it would have worked already.

I think it is a fact of life that a large percentage of people will want to change their state of consciousness one way or another..... the fact that legislators continue to be very squeamish about the 'moral' aspects of chemical stimulation is not encouraging. The approach should be from the physical and mental health angle. Some drug users are VERY sick people and throwing them into a jail cell with crims does not help them rehabilitate.

To me this indicates a number of things..... for starters the rednecks have WAY too much power. But above and beyond that is the fact that by keeping dope, smack, coke et al illegal, it maintains a significant black economy the world over. This is the big stumbling block. There is so much money to be made, and the average users and dealers are the patsys in this system.

Far better to educate people about the dangers of drug abuse, or over abuse, and the impact that this has on families. Like the educational approach we now have with tobacco and alchohol, which are of  course the really big killers.

Nevertheless I know of many people who are going to have short lives due to drug addiction.... I don't have a 'Polyanna' view of the health ramifications of too much of anything.....  I also know of others who have been thrown into the slammer long term for a mistake they made when they were young..... having drugs on the illegal list does not help these people.

I am sure none of what I have written above will come as any news to most people who read this, yet here we are in 2008 still having the same arguments that we were having in 1968.

Corruption never goes out of style.

IP Logged

Noonan McKane
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:16pm
It's true.

Prohibition doesn't work. Of course, it shouldn't even be considered in 'western democracy', as it's undemocratic. No government which will allow you whisky (but tax it so heavily that it believes it has discharged it's responsibilty to discourage you from drinking it by placing a 'fiscal deterrent', which, if you ask anyone who has tasted whisky and decided that they kinda like it will tell you, doesn't work, but generates huge sums of money for the treasury) can presume the right to tell you you can't have marijuana. Especially when they claim on the one hand to 'know better' than you or I about the risks to our health which marijuana poses, and on the other hand to never having so much as even thought about using it. Studies show that voters tend not to go for politicians who are 'soft on drugs'. They're even less enthusiastic about stoners.

The main social problem, as far as the illegal trade in marijuana goes, is the very fact that it is illegal. So lucrative is this trade, so much in demand is this product, that people are prepared to take up arms to protect their interest in it. Here (in the UK) being found in possession of more than an ounce of dope can see you going to jail for 7 years, for 'possession with intent to supply'. (although this is rare nowadays, with Britain's jails full to bursting) With this in mind, people often have no qualms about having assault/actual bodily harm/attempted murder read out in court at the same time. Not if they're going down anyway. All the government has to do is take this trade out of the hands of these desperate people. The customer base for the actual product will remain unchanged. The terrified readership of the right wing press would be placed at no greater or lesser risk of having their homes ransacked by gangs of wild eyed, anarchistic "junkies" than they are at the moment. A government which took this brave step, which was brave enough to 'break the chain' of ignorance would surely be lauded for it's far sightedness, and re-elected?

Possibly not. The British government openly acknowledges the terrible social blight of heroin addiction, by virtue of the methadone programme, which stops people being addicted to heroin and instead makes them addicted to methadone. (In theory. They just wind up using both) This may be because morphine is essential in medicine, and therefore can not be 'outlawed'. It's a great pity, because if heroin ('diamorphine') could only be made illegal, then people wouldn't want it anymore.

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Noonan McKane wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:16pm:
It's true.

Prohibition doesn't work. Of course, it shouldn't even be considered in 'western democracy', as it's undemocratic. No government which will allow you whisky (but tax it so heavily that it believes it has discharged it's responsibilty to discourage you from drinking it by placing a 'fiscal deterrent', which, if you ask anyone who has tasted whisky and decided that they kinda like it will tell you, doesn't work, but generates huge sums of money for the treasury) can presume the right to tell you you can't have marijuana. Especially when they claim on the one hand to 'know better' than you or I about the risks to our health which marijuana poses, and on the other hand to never having so much as even thought about using it. Studies show that voters tend not to go for politicians who are 'soft on drugs'. They're even less enthusiastic about stoners.

The main social problem, as far as the illegal trade in marijuana goes, is the very fact that it is illegal. So lucrative is this trade, so much in demand is this product, that people are prepared to take up arms to protect their interest in it. Here (in the UK) being found in possession of more than an ounce of dope can see you going to jail for 7 years, for 'possession with intent to supply'. (although this is rare nowadays, with Britain's jails full to bursting) With this in mind, people often have no qualms about having assault/actual bodily harm/attempted murder read out in court at the same time. Not if they're going down anyway. All the government has to do is take this trade out of the hands of these desperate people. The customer base for the actual product will remain unchanged. The terrified readership of the right wing press would be placed at no greater or lesser risk of having their homes ransacked by gangs of wild eyed, anarchistic "junkies" than they are at the moment. A government which took this brave step, which was brave enough to 'break the chain' of ignorance would surely be lauded for it's far sightedness, and re-elected?

Possibly not. The British government openly acknowledges the terrible social blight of heroin addiction, by virtue of the methadone programme, which stops people being addicted to heroin and instead makes them addicted to methadone. (In theory. They just wind up using both) This may be because morphine is essential in medicine, and therefore can not be 'outlawed'. It's a great pity, because if heroin ('diamorphine') could only be made illegal, then people wouldn't want it anymore.

7 years for a z?  that sounds like way to much.  i guess it could be considered trafficing because that would make a lot of dime bags.   dime bags in ny are worth like 10-15 bucks, depending on the quality.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:38pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:44pm
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:15pm:
.....Prohibition in America ends on 5 December, 1933.

But if you had to wake up next to one of these ladies, would Prohibition have kept you from drinking?  Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

LOL

OMG!!! With that ad some of our great friends in AA will back to booze immediately!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Noonan McKane
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 11:41pm
Quote:
Noonan McKane wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:16pm:
It's true.

7 years for a z?  that sounds like way to much.  i guess it could be considered trafficing because that would make a lot of dime bags.   dime bags in ny are worth like 10-15 bucks, depending on the quality.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

Indeed so, 7 years. Like I say, it's very rare for anyone to be jailed here nowadays, even when caught holding amounts more than an ounce. Hash was 'downgraded' from a class 'B' to a class 'C' drug a couple of years ago, but was reclassified earlier this year as 'B' again. The police (who'd been the main instigators in downgrading it in the first place, sick & tired of cuffing and cautioning youngsters with two joints on them) advised the Home Office that the real menace was the rise in 'home grown' weed. In 1990, 80% of mary jane in Britain was imported. Last year, 75% of it was grown in Britain. The police proudly announce that they turn over 6 cannabis 'factories' a week. They probably do. Fact is, the following week, there's another 6 for them to bust, and 106 they don't. The 'hydroponic revolution' has opened another avenue in the "legalise or criminalise" debate here, with the Daily Mail (flagship of the ignorant masses) keen to make hay (pardon the pun) from the fact that artificially grown marijuana can be farmed to be 2 or 3 times stronger than naturally occuring weed.

For all of this shite, the police 'clean up rate' remains about the same. Every second youngster they caution of an evening has dope on them. Every 'industrial' sized marijuana factory is only one of a dozen within the same postcode. The drug war has become like the battle of the Somme. A war of attrition. A straight fight between those who want to take drugs, and those who do not want to take drugs and would rather that no one else took them.

IP Logged

GhostofBrianJones
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones Rules You
Bastards

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 12:51am
About a week ago or so I had my first joint of Mary Jane. A friend came over and started rolling it. It looked like little buds
of broccoli(?)  and he was rolling it in a joint.  Anyway it was very relaxing, I could feel it kinda but the drawback it STUNK
like hell! Whew it was really smelly, I don't know anything about MJ so I could not tell if it was good stuff or not. Otherwise
it was okay.  He said he was trying to get me high- whatever. Cool Cheesy Grin Smiley Wink Tongue

Resentment is like taking poison and expecting someone&&else to die!&&&&If you are talking about me behind my back then&&you are in a position to kiss my ass!&&&&Just because you're sitting in a henhouse doesn't make you a&&chicken!&&&&Sweet Lil' Innocent Brian!
WWW GhostofBrianJones GhostofBrianJones none none none  
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:11am
smells less if you vaporize rather than smoke...a lot healthier too

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)