Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Crazy Horse Album (Read 593 times)
Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

New Crazy Horse Album
Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:31am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Neil Young Finishes 'Amazing' New Crazy Horse Album
He talks about project...
by Jason Gregory
Friday, December 05, 2008
Photo by: WENN
gigwise.com

Neil Young has finished work on his next studio album with Crazy Horse, entitled 'Toast'.

Young said the album was “completely” different to his previous releases with the band and an “amazing listening experience.”

“It’s a mind blowing record, and I don’t think it’s a commercial record, but it’s great rock and roll, very moody, kind of jazzy,” he told Rolling Stone.

“All of the live ambiance for everything was all recorded, so the whole thing has got a massive sound about it.”

Young said he wanted the album, which was originally conceived seven years ago, to be premiered at a large art gallery with speakers in all four corners of the room.

Asked to describe the album's sound, Young replied: “It’s really dark. It’s got everything that the best Crazy Horse albums have had.

“It won’t be the most commercial Crazy Horse album ever out, and I don’t know much about that anymore, because the model for that has changed, and time has changed.”

At present, it's not clear when the album will be released.

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Re: New Crazy Horse Album
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:46am
Very cool

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:26pm
Excellent!  And the album is called Toast?  Is it dedicated to Riffy?

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:31pm
finally...something i can get excited about.

NEIL YOUNG MAN.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:55pm
Quote:

Where've you been?
Neil's put out a bunch of stuff in recent years - archives and otherwise.

'Sugar Mountain - Live At Canterbury House 1968' was released this week.  

'Toast' has pushed back the 10 disc 'Archives, Volume 1' - again.

The good news is that maybe The Horse will get let out of the barn...
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:14pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:05pm
I know it's like beating a dead horse but I wish the Stones would release earlier stuff as well as new stuff. Maybe someday.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:43pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:55pm:
Quote:

Where've you been?
Neil's put out a bunch of stuff in recent years - archives and otherwise.

'Sugar Mountain - Live At Canterbury House 1968' was released this week.  

'Toast' has pushed back the 10 disc 'Archives, Volume 1' - again.

The good news is that maybe The Horse will get let out of the barn...

is it actually the aborted record from 01? its been rumoured to be released for more than one year now. didnt talbot leave the horse in 04? would love to hear it. picked up canterbury disc said cd/dvd. won't play on my cd and  my dvd is busy elsewhere. smell the horse........

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:23pm
mojoman wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:43pm:
is it actually the aborted record from 01? its been rumoured to be released for more than one year now. didnt talbot leave the horse in 04? would love to hear it. picked up canterbury disc said cd/dvd. won't play on my cd and my dvd is busy elsewhere. smell the horse........

Rolling Stone posted that Neil interview yesterday.
Here's what he had to say about 'Toast'.

What’s the status of your next album, Toast?
Toast is done. It’s amazing listening experience. It was recorded in 5.1. It’s a mind blowing record, and I don’t think it’s a commercial record, but it’s great rock and roll, very moody, kind of jazzy. It was recorded in the same place where Coltrane was recorded, so there’s a lot of heavy stuff in there. All of the live ambiance for everything was all recorded, so the whole thing has got a massive sound about it. I want to have a premier of it that’s in a large art gallery with speakers in all four corners of the room, and huge speakers and really spend some time on the acoustics of the room, so you could have two or three hundred people in there that are in the middle of the sweet spot listening to this thing all around. So you came to a real listening experience that you wouldn’t be able to get in any other location than right there.

So it was cut with Crazy Horse like seven years ago, but then you stopped the sessions? Why stop it then, but why revive it now?
Well I didn’t do anything new. What we did is the same engineer that worked with me on it came back and he did the mixes with me, and then we unfolded them into 5:1 and it’s just insane.

It’s a different sounding record that you’re usual Crazy Horse albums?
Completely. It’s as different as “Tonight’s the Night” and “Everybody Knows This is Nowhere” are from one another.

Can you tell me more about the sound of Toast?
It’s really dark. It’s got everything that the best Crazy Horse albums have had. It won’t be the most commercial Crazy Horse album ever out, and I don’t know much about that anymore, because the model for that has changed, and time has changed.

So why 7 years later? Why did you not put it out back when you cut it?
I didn’t like it when I first made it. I went on and I did Are You Passionate?, and some of the songs that are on Are You Passionate? are on Toast.

Will you tour again with Crazy Horse?
Maybe.

Do you want to? Is it something that still intrigues you right now?
I’m not thinking about that right now. We’ll just see what happens. Something might happen. You never know. Or something else we don’t even know about could happen, and that would be really good, rather than go back. But if the vibe’s right to go back and grab what’s back there and yank it into the future, that’s a big job.

Not sure about Billy leaving.
He did release a Billy Talbot Band album in 04.

Ralph toured with Neil in 07 and early 08,  but now it's Chad Cromwell on drums.

Dunno what Poncho is up to...

Don't Spook The Horse!
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:39pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 1:02am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:23pm:
mojoman wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:43pm:
is it actually the aborted record from 01? its been rumoured to be released for more than one year now. didnt talbot leave the horse in 04? would love to hear it. picked up canterbury disc said cd/dvd. won't play on my cd and my dvd is busy elsewhere. smell the horse........

Rolling Stone posted that Neil interview yesterday.
Here's what he had to say about 'Toast'.

What’s the status of your next album, Toast?
Toast is done. It’s amazing listening experience. It was recorded in 5.1. It’s a mind blowing record, and I don’t think it’s a commercial record, but it’s great rock and roll, very moody, kind of jazzy. It was recorded in the same place where Coltrane was recorded, so there’s a lot of heavy stuff in there. All of the live ambiance for everything was all recorded, so the whole thing has got a massive sound about it. I want to have a premier of it that’s in a large art gallery with speakers in all four corners of the room, and huge speakers and really spend some time on the acoustics of the room, so you could have two or three hundred people in there that are in the middle of the sweet spot listening to this thing all around. So you came to a real listening experience that you wouldn’t be able to get in any other location than right there.

So it was cut with Crazy Horse like seven years ago, but then you stopped the sessions? Why stop it then, but why revive it now?
Well I didn’t do anything new. What we did is the same engineer that worked with me on it came back and he did the mixes with me, and then we unfolded them into 5:1 and it’s just insane.

It’s a different sounding record that you’re usual Crazy Horse albums?
Completely. It’s as different as “Tonight’s the Night” and “Everybody Knows This is Nowhere” are from one another.

Can you tell me more about the sound of Toast?
It’s really dark. It’s got everything that the best Crazy Horse albums have had. It won’t be the most commercial Crazy Horse album ever out, and I don’t know much about that anymore, because the model for that has changed, and time has changed.

So why 7 years later? Why did you not put it out back when you cut it?
I didn’t like it when I first made it. I went on and I did Are You Passionate?, and some of the songs that are on Are You Passionate? are on Toast.

Will you tour again with Crazy Horse?
Maybe.

Do you want to? Is it something that still intrigues you right now?
I’m not thinking about that right now. We’ll just see what happens. Something might happen. You never know. Or something else we don’t even know about could happen, and that would be really good, rather than go back. But if the vibe’s right to go back and grab what’s back there and yank it into the future, that’s a big job.

Not sure about Billy leaving.
He did release a Billy Talbot Band album in 04.

Ralph toured with Neil in 07 and early 08,  but now it's Chad Cromwell on drums.

Dunno what Poncho is up to...

Don't Spook The Horse!

thanks for posting that interview. maybe its gonna be like ARC. that was a crazy f'up disc!!!

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 2:55am
Good excuse to get my surround speakers hooked up again. I had to take them down when the horrors of my life got too big and could reach the rear wall brackets.

Thats right. My twins! They ripped down my rear speakers and i havent been able to put them back up. They promised me they wouldnt do it again. But i dont trust the little brats. They could just be tricking me.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 8:08am
what's the release date?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)