Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The Clash tune of the day is.... (Read 10,036 times)
Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: The Clash tune of the day is....
Reply #75 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 2:15pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
monkey_man wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 2:03pm:
Kick ass tune Riffy! Who knew you were such a truth to power kinda guy!

In my business it's no secret that the record end of the business is crap. They have ruined rock and roll more than anything else from what I can tell. Keith had a great line about it when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here,-"When the same people that make the records make the players on which to play them you know the business is fucked." I couldn't agree more. There is zero excuse for the way that major labels have screwed up real music. They are constantly chasing the "flavor of the month", and even though I am a free market capitalist pig kinda guy, I can see where they have managed to screw up not only rock and roll, but ultimately their own bottom line as well! The Clash were getting ripped on pretty hard in the UK punk scene about becoming sell outs when they signed to Capitol. That was a crap argument imo. Especially given the fact that every single one of those snot nosed punks would have signed in a minute had they been given the chance. This was the Clash's own little mea culpa as far as I'm concerned.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #76 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:34pm
Train in Vain
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:23pm by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #77 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:05pm
straight to hell is their masterpiece.....
it as a sound i can't describe and i can see the jungle.
the clash was the real shit in a genre full of poseurs....
their music was melodic, thoughful and sincere in a genre that often disdained those two qualities.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #78 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 11:29pm
Riffhard wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 2:15pm:
monkey_man wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 2:03pm:
Kick ass tune Riffy! Who knew you were such a truth to power kinda guy!

In my business it's no secret that the record end of the business is crap. They have ruined rock and roll more than anything else from what I can tell. Keith had a great line about it when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here,-"When the same people that make the records make the players on which to play them you know the business is fucked." I couldn't agree more. There is zero excuse for the way that major labels have screwed up real music. They are constantly chasing the "flavor of the month", and even though I am a free market capitalist pig kinda guy, I can see where they have managed to screw up not only rock and roll, but ultimately their own bottom line as well! The Clash were getting ripped on pretty hard in the UK punk scene about becoming sell outs when they signed to Capitol. That was a crap argument imo. Especially given the fact that every single one of those snot nosed punks would have signed in a minute had they been given the chance. This was the Clash's own little mea culpa as far as I'm concerned.

Riffy

Capitol?  Epic!  

Capital Radio!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EUVImnHr48

The Clash were indeed just about the first rock 'n' roll band self aware enough worry about selling out, write about selling out, and then go ahead and turn into a totally sold out betrayal of everything they stood for.  Talk about self fulfilling prophets.  Not that it changed the majesty of their first five/six years as musicians or messengers.  But, as they say, he who fucks nuns must later join the church.

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #79 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:15pm
i don't know if its so much about 'selling out' than your world changing....
part of what made the clash, strummer and simonon in particular - was their youthful, almost naive political romanticism - the brothers-in-arms solidarity with nicaraguan guerillas, peasants etc....
i believed in all that too - but things are never that simple and black and white....
the clash were passionate, and that passion meant something - from 77-82 - but the urgency couldn't last.
strummer remained committed to his beliefs....and i loved him for that.
he never lost that romantic, hopeful ideology and angst...
he's still my hero.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #80 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:38pm
Happily as time marches on we learn that selling out can be just a temporary thing . . .

The Clash trajectory from 1977 - 1985 is pretty much a textbook on selling out.  I.E. we won't to this, we won't do that, we will keep doing this, we will keep doing that . . . Whoops! We are gonna play stadiums, we are gonna record content-free hit singles, we are gonna alienate and ostracize our initial audience, we are gonna kick every motherfucker outta tha band but me . . .

Now some call that selling out and some call it going from innocence to the first level of experience.  Some say that they're the exact same thing and that only the innocent or hopelessly naive worry about selling out in the first place.  Had the Clash not made such a huge issue of it in the beginning the story would matter much less.  As it is, Strummer moved from a position of strident integrity to flaccid compromise to something deeper than either, which is a move to a second level of experience and beyond.  

No aspersions on Strummer as a man to recognize that the Clash betrayed its original conception of itself - through the Clash betraying itself, Strummer probably managed to progress into a realm where who is the "best band in the world" no longer mattered so much as recognizing that there was life beyond the competitive sphere of rock and roll.  Certainly that is a kind of growth and heroism, probably more than a certain bunch of utterly sold out 60 year old adolescents we all know and love can manage to muster.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iZy_DqoyI

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #81 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 5:18pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:38pm:
Happily as time marches on we learn that selling out can be just a temporary thing . . .

The Clash trajectory from 1977 - 1985 is pretty much a textbook on selling out.  I.E. we won't to this, we won't do that, we will keep doing this, we will keep doing that . . . Whoops! We are gonna play stadiums, we are gonna record content-free hit singles, we are gonna alienate and ostracize our initial audience, we are gonna kick every motherfucker outta tha band but me . . .

Now some call that selling out and some call it going from innocence to the first level of experience.  Some say that they're the exact same thing and that only the innocent or hopelessly naive worry about selling out in the first place.  Had the Clash not made such a huge issue of it in the beginning the story would matter much less.  As it is, Strummer moved from a position of strident integrity to flaccid compromise to something deeper than either, which is a move to a second level of experience and beyond.  

No aspersions on Strummer as a man to recognize that the Clash betrayed its original conception of itself - through the Clash betraying itself, Strummer probably managed to progress into a realm where who is the "best band in the world" no longer mattered so much as recognizing that there was life beyond the competitive sphere of rock and roll.  Certainly that is a kind of growth and heroism, probably more than a certain bunch of utterly sold out 60 year old adolescents we all know and love can manage to muster.  

Wow!!!

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #82 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 9:47am
Pdog wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 5:18pm:
Nasty Habits wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:38pm:

Now some call that selling out and some call it going from innocence to the first level of experience.  Some say that they're the exact same thing and that only the innocent or hopelessly naive worry about selling out in the first place.  Had the Clash not made such a huge issue of it in the beginning the story would matter much less.  As it is, Strummer moved from a position of strident integrity to flaccid compromise to something deeper than either, which is a move to a second level of experience and beyond.  

Wow!!!

I iz Mr. Deep.

Song of today, from one of the four or five greatest singels evar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwFOTC71Ag

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #83 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 11:59pm
Well the English Civil War popped up on my ITunes today...I had forgotten what great song that is.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2008 at 7:54am by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)