Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jamming with Edward! is there more of this ? (Read 2,971 times)
Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Re: Jamming with Edward! is there more of this ?
Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:09pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The album spent 11 weeks on the U.S Billboard chart:

JAMMING WITH EDWARD
US Date: 12/02/1972 - Run: 90-39-*33*-33-45-54-68-110-111-125-162 (11 wks)

Not bad for at, some bands never reached the US Top 40 (see the Ramones)

IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

Seeker of truth and, regrettably,
finder of truth

USA
Reply #26 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:00pm
From Disc and Music Echo, 1971:

Hopkin's first major splash of the year comes with the January release of "Jamming With Edward," the distillation of a 1 1/2-hour session in 1969.

"It was in the middle of a bunch of Stones sessions at Olympic," says Nicky. "Anita was sick and Keith had to go home. We thought he'd be back in an hour or two and we started playing. Ry Cooder was there and it was just jamming. They put the whole lot down on tapes. It was shelved until the Stones got their own label.

"It was simply a neat thing to do. It's not really a Stones record. Mick doesn't sing very much on it.

"The name came from some banter between Brian (Jones) and myself. He was playing bass, for some reason I can't remember, and I was at the other end of the studios playing piano. He called over "Give me an E, Nicky" – but I couldn't hear. So he shouted "Give me an E for Edward." The whole thing developed from there. I drew the front page of a comic that looks like the Beano – we use it on the album – and I had a notebook which I made into the Penguin Book Of Edwards.

"We use about half the jam on the record. We thought people might like to hear what goes down between actual recording proper. But it's not a serious album by any means, and I'd hate people to say 'is this the best Nicky Hopkins can do'."

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:02am
I got it on cassette tape and always wonder about it.
Bought it for nothing It's ok. Kind of weird.  really? Blank Frigging Stare Boring post :hilarious :funny

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:53pm
zooeyglass wrote on Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:00pm:
"We use about half the jam on the record. We thought people might like to hear what goes down between actual recording proper. But it's not a serious album by any means, and I'd hate people to say 'is this the best Nicky Hopkins can do'."[/i]
Thanks for digging out that quote. Unfortunately when Nicky tried on "Tin Man was a Dreamer" it was hardly any better Sad

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:03pm
You know, I don't think I've ever played this. Is it worth getting?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Quote:
You know, I don't think I've ever played this. Is it worth getting?

In a word - No.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #31 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:11pm
stones67 wrote on Nov 5th, 2008 at 8:09pm:
And just as an aside.... I love what Ry did with the mandolin on 'Love in vain', and his slide work on 'Sister Morphine'. If ever Ry HAD joined the Stones for a full album, I think the results would have been very interesting. The second guitar player in the Stones always seems to be the one that pulls the band in a certain direction. It was certainly the case with Brian, and when Taylor joined they went off on another tangent, and with Ronnie they went off differently yet again. I would have loved to have seen a whole Stones album with Ry on it.

Me too. He's my favourite guitarist of all time.

It obviously wouldnt have worked for him to have JOINED the Stones, but Ry and Keith playing together would be a dream team.

... ... ...
IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #32 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:49pm
It's cool to see that people got the same musical dream , maybe it's a way to take for the venue of new guest in some Rolling Stones gigs!

Keith & Ry Cooder  Awesome!!

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:54pm
But don't they hate each other? Even though hate is a wasted emotion...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #34 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 6:54pm
Quote:
But don't they hate each other? ...

Yes, they did - and probably still do. Ry considers that the Stones ripped a lot of ideas off him (most notably the open G style), didn't credit him for ideas etc - he has referred to them as "bloodsuckers".

The 'Jamming with Edward' session actually came about because Keith's antipathy towards Cooder led to him not showing up for the 'Let It Bleed' album session that evening.

... ... ...
IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #35 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 7:21pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 6:54pm:
Quote:
But don't they hate each other? ...

Yes, they did - and probably still do. Ry considers that the Stones ripped a lot of ideas off him (most notably the open G style), didn't credit him for ideas etc - he has referred to them as "bloodsuckers".

The 'Jamming with Edward' session actually came about because Keith's antipathy towards Cooder led to him not showing up for the 'Let It Bleed' album session that evening.

and on that point I think Cooder is being a little precious - you'd have thought he invented open tuning or something - no doubt it seems keith benefited from working with Cooder from a technical point of view - but you can't blame keith for trying to improve his musicianship (not that I am suggesting you are) - same thing with Parsons - some have accused him of stealing others ideas but  rather wasn't he trying to develop as a musician ...god knows it would have been good if he'd have kept that attitude post - Toronto/punk/ 70s   (Wingless Angels notwithstanding) -

keith it seems has the opposite approach - i have read a first hand account  by Deniz Tek from Radio birdman who met Keith in Sydney  at the party after the last gig in 73 and it is testament to Keith's "as long as you pass it on" philosophy - Tek had spent ages trying to work out how to get that typical Keith sound but could never quite make it and tells that keith was quite happy to reveal the secrets of the open - G to him - of course the scales then fell from his eyes (and as an aside not bad being able to say  that Keith Richards personally taught you open tuning!!)

now if  keith has ripped off entire riffs and feels  - e.g. the guitar intro to HTW - then i'd say he had a fair complaint

but even then if you want to lay claim to a piece of music you have to give it a name or put it in a song - so maybe Ry, in exchange for his musical contributions, got a little show business (with the emphasis on business) education for his troubles

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #36 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Off course Ry has more to show in terms of quality songwriting than Hopkins or Taylor, but still he's more of a musician, a stellar one of course, than a writer with songs that mattered to people on a large scale, other than maybe his Paris-Texas score, so the whole "they ripped me off" stuff gets a bit old, actually I remember an interview where he said he didn't want to discuss it anymore, so he probably got over it.

Excellent point on Keith getting "lazy" after Toronto, you could probably date that back to IORR actually. The smack didn't kill him but it certainly hurt his inspiration and drive to improve himself. Jagger forged on, but unfortunately lacking Keith's musicianship that shone on the "Big Four", hail to the man who wrote "Gimme Shelter" !

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #37 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 10:04pm
Ry Cooder live in Cleveland 1972 DL available on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=222377

But you knew that.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)