Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jamming with Edward! is there more of this ? (Read 2,970 times)
riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Jamming with Edward! is there more of this ?
Nov 1st, 2008 at 5:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
What a post Ronnie!!!!!   Just want to know is there more of this Jam .May be some studio outtakes ?
thanks

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Jamming with Edward! is there more of this ?
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm
riffkeither wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 5:06pm:
What a post Ronnie!!!!!   Just want to know is there more of this Jam .May be some studio outtakes ?
thanks

i would like to hog tie you, baste you in milk for 24 hours and then let hungry baby lambs skeltonize your quivering body............

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:35pm
What a post Ronnie!!!!!   Just want to know is there more of this Jam .May be some studio outtakes ?
thanks

Jamming with Edward IS studio outtakes!

Nothing else has ever surfaced, as far as I'm aware.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:45pm
I gotta say, when I bought it at c. 13 years old, I thought Edward was a piece of crap.  I heard it a couple years ago, and I still feel that way.  All I got for my "reduced price" was:

1) A cartoon of Sir Edward Lewis
2) The knowledge that the name of that famous bit of circus music (actually a Victorian music hall ballad) is "The Loveliest Night of the Year"
3) a decent "tongue" sleeve, that migrated to another Stones record, so I still have it despite ditching Edward long ago.

It was a Fuck-you to Decca.  But they could have given up some hot boot tracks for us, like Two Trains Running, Blood Red Wine, etc., and fucked Decca just the same by giving up material that would sell, but for only the $3.98 "reduced price" instead of LP prices.  They were never capable of thinking like the Clash, though.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:51pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 9:02pm
andrews27 wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:45pm:
I gotta say, when I bought it at c. 13 years old, I thought Edward was a piece of crap.  I heard it a couple years ago, and I still feel that way.  All I got for my "reduced price" was:

Is it? The "Edward" referred to in the title is a nickname for Nicky Hopkins.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 11:10pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 9:02pm:

OK - Then I only got two things.  Now it sucks more.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:35am
mojoman wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm:
thanks

i would like to hog tie you, baste you in milk for 24 hours and then let hungry baby lambs skeltonize your quivering body............

Yeah you  seems to be a great "Lamber"

I'm movin' on

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:43am
Gazza wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:35pm:
thanks

Jamming with Edward IS studio outtakes!

Nothing else has ever surfaced, as far as I'm aware.

Of course i know it was studio outtakes , i'm just asking for more !
because once i read in rock n folk that Ry Cooder said that it was one the greatest jam he ever played with the Stones , and that they  have recorded a lot !
I guess Mick got te tapes ...

I'm movin' on

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:52am
riffkeither wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:35am:
mojoman wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm:
thanks

Yeah you  seems to be a great "Lamber"

Midnight Lamber

IP Logged

zooeyglass
Rocks Off Regular

Seeker of truth and, regrettably,
finder of truth

USA
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:54am

According to Nicky, they were in the studio and Brian Jones called to Nicky to give him an E on the piano; Nicky couldn't hear him and Brian yelled, "Give me an E for Edward!"

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 11:27am
Ah - but who is Jean Clarke of the Memorial Sonic Barbecue fame?

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:46pm
andrews I often wondered that too

I remember the excitement I felt on finding a copy of "Edward" . it was only ever available as an import here. at least my copy was UK pressing . i got it in about 79/80. Anyway, given the personel i, like i suspect  most would, had high expectations. However, I  also remember the feeling of Major Disappointment that passed over me upon listening to it.

Although i have not heard it for around 20 years (see CD revolution)  I remember that "It Hurts me Too" kind of works  in a blusey jammy way  (but its no revelation0 and "The Loveliest Night of the Year" is the only track that really had anything resembling a memorable melody

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Paris, France
Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:50pm
It was a Fuck-you to Decca.  But they could have given up some hot boot tracks for us, like Two Trains Running, Blood Red Wine, etc., and fucked Decca just the same by giving up material that would sell, but for only the $3.98 "reduced price" instead of LP prices.  They were never capable of thinking like the Clash, though.
I'm pretty sure it came out on RSR (Rolling Stones Records), CS Blues was tthe F-You Decca for sure.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 9:51pm
gotdablouse wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:50pm:
It was a Fuck-you to Decca.  But they could have given up some hot boot tracks for us, like Two Trains Running, Blood Red Wine, etc., and fucked Decca just the same by giving up material that would sell, but for only the $3.98 "reduced price" instead of LP prices.  They were never capable of thinking like the Clash, though.
I'm pretty sure it came out on RSR (Rolling Stones Records), CS Blues was tthe F-You Decca for sure.

You're right!  RSR-Atlantic, 1972.  So why the suicidal move?  Why fuck Atlantic?  Ahmet could have told them it was unsaleable shit.  Why didn't he?

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 9:58pm
I guess they were trying to get releases on their new label!

IP Logged

jackson cotone
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 5:30pm
It just shows that nothing really got done because Keith wasn't there.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 5:34pm
Since you mention Keith, I think I remember now that this stuff got recorded in 68 or 69 while they were waiting for Keith to show up for a session.

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 6:35pm
I think it was recorded in about May '69 or so when Ry Cooder was guesting to play on the 'Let it bleed' sessions. Apparantly Keith wasn't there on  the particular day they taped this stuff because he couldn't stand Ry for some reason.

I actually like 'Jamming with Edward' .... it provides insight into where a lot of the feels that wound up on 'Let it bleed' and also 'Honky tonk women' come from..... it is good to listen to Ry's rhythms and the way he comps.... Keith learnt a lot from Ry. Ry was right into open G and open D tunings.

Ry once said in an interview that he jammed with the Stones for about 2 weeks, and they had the recording machines rolling for the whole time, and that the Stones got just about everything he knew down on tape........ I suppose that was when 'Sister Morphine' and 'Love in Vain' were taped.

I can hear in Ry's playing some of the rhythms and feels that ended up on 'Midnight Rambler'. And Nicky Hopkins is always good to hear anytime anyway. I don't mind it.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 7:42pm
Oh, fuck - now I have to find it again and listen to it before I can bitch anymore on the fumes of memory.  Overall, though, the hardcore few wouldn't complain if they got it as a boot or a DL, but getting it back then as a piece of band-associated product felt like a rip to the fans.  The inner sleeve endures better in remembrance.

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 7:55pm
When I first ever bought 'Jamming with Edward' way back in the mid 70's, it was on vinyl and sold for $3.99. Most other LP's at the time sold for about $5.95.... so it was never presented to the public at full price, not originally anyway. And it was also obvious from the original sleeve that it was NOT an official band release - (there was a sticker that made that obvious - can't quite remember what it said), but a release from 'Rolling Stones Records', which was offering it as a sort of curio. So to me it was never a ripoff, or even an intended ripoff, just a glimpse into their world.

The songwriting credits for the most part read 'Hopkins/Cooder/Watts'. Maybe they put Ry's name on the credits to square up with him to settle a legal dispute... maybe nothing to do with that at all.

There are always lots of complaints about the lack of releases from the archives.... I share this view. I would love to have lots more releases like 'Edward'.... up to now with the unreleased stuff there is only what is on the boots. For all I know there are some really interesting things that have still never seen the light of day.

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 8:09pm
And just as an aside.... I love what Ry did with the mandolin on 'Love in vain', and his slide work on 'Sister Morphine'. If ever Ry HAD joined the Stones for a full album, I think the results would have been very interesting. The second guitar player in the Stones always seems to be the one that pulls the band in a certain direction. It was certainly the case with Brian, and when Taylor joined they went off on another tangent, and with Ronnie they went off differently yet again. I would have loved to have seen a whole Stones album with Ry on it.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #21 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 2:06pm
It has the names of three Stones on it, including Jagger.  By that logic, it ought t be up in the same ballpark as "The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions," which has only two Stones but is not a rip.

The "reduced price" was dealt with in my original post.  Please - don't read like my students read.

The inherent disclaimer in "reduced price" is trumped by the list of players.  From wiki:

"On the strength of The Rolling Stones' association with the album, Jamming With Edward! reached #33 on the U.S charts, although it failed to reach the UK listings."

#33 in the US in 1972?  The year of Yes, ELP, Stevie Wonder, "Exile," etc.?  Formidable for a "reduced price" album - indicative of high expectations primed by "Sticky Fingers."

What the all-star cast gave us is pointless and incoherent "jamming," the kind we routinely edit out of multi-CD DLs today when we burn them, having lost patience with it from records like "Edward."

What does the great third-billed Stones ringleader contribute to merit being billed above Watts and Wyman?  Weak harp-honking and the occasional off-mic shout or grunt.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2008 at 2:12pm by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 2:08pm
stones67 wrote on Nov 5th, 2008 at 8:09pm:
I would have loved to have seen a whole Stones album with Ry on it.

And so would Ry.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 2:40pm

Indeed.  Nicky wrote an instrumental song called "Edward the Mad Shirt Grinder" which he recorded when he was with Quicksilver Messenger Service.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #24 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 5:32pm
Since we're discussing Nicky, I was very disappointed by his solo LP, "Tin Man was a Dreamer" if memory serves...another case of a sideman given more credit in the songwriting process by the fans than he apparently deserved, or rather, like Mick T. or even Bill W., he had good ideas that someone else had to whip into shape to make them of general interest, ladies and gentlement, the Glimmer Twins !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)