Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: The best opener is...

« Created by: real wild child on: Oct 28th, 2008 at 5:55pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The best opener is... (Read 2,669 times)
real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mexico City
The best opener is...
Oct 28th, 2008 at 5:55pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I think Start me Up is the best it works very well as an opener
It´s an explosive riff

I kind a like One Hit but the live version doesn´t sound
as the one on the record maybe they can play it for the
next tour and I´m sure it would be better than the version
of the SW tour

Shit!

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Re: The best opener is...
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 6:13pm
i thought not fade away was really cool-  mick being elevated from under the stage on that little platform was a great idea.  this was during the voodoo lounge tour.

Who stole this one? (Seriously)

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 6:56pm
Start Me Up seems perfect for the later incarnation of the Stones....

But I would LOVE to hear "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" as an opener! Oh, well, maybe if Brian were still alive and in the band....Sad But it could be a very effective first song.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 7:04pm
If I NEVER hear SMU live again, I will not be disappointed.

The PERFECT opener, which they definitely need to try is Sympathy.

The intro, the Woo-Hoo and then "Please allow me to introduce myself"....

Guarantee the venue will explode

LJ.

Disclaimer..as not to be Joe Bidenesque our own Nanky made this suggestion in a post a couple of months ago. Hence, I got the idea from him.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:32pm
Quote:
i thought not fade away was really cool-  mick being elevated from under the stage on that little platform was a great idea.  this was during the voodoo lounge tour.

Only show I saw this tour was New Orleans.

Mick didn't do the platform thing for that show, but strutted in from stage left, then took a long bow before singing the first words.
Still cool.

That was clever

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:37pm
Edith Grove wrote on Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:32pm:
Quote:
i thought not fade away was really cool-  mick being elevated from under the stage on that little platform was a great idea.  this was during the voodoo lounge tour.

Mick didn't do the platform thing for that show, but strutted in from stage left, then took a long bow before singing the first words.
Still cool.

That was clever

news to me.  i thought it was a standard act for every show during that tour.  if you missed it you can see it on the commercially released vhs or dvd from one of their giant stadium performances.  they actually show him under the stage and then waving his harp as to let whoever know he is ready to begin the show.   

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:39pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:37pm
i've only seen three  shows but when I aw them opening with Midnight Rambler at the Enmore '03 I , along with the other 2,000 odd people there,  realised we were witnessing an historic event - i was amazed, dumbfounded, overwhelmed - it blew the show a part from the get go

even if they had started with a more traditional opener the crowd would have loved it but this was almost surreal

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:24am
Quote:
Edith Grove wrote on Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:32pm:
Quote:

Still cool.

That was clever

news to me.  i thought it was a standard act for every show during that tour.  if you missed it you can see it on the commercially released vhs or dvd from one of their giant stadium performances.  they actually show him under the stage and then waving his harp as to let whoever know he is ready to begin the show.  

Guess I should say the only show I was at was N.O.
I have the Giants Stadium show on VHS, but didn't the Miami pay-per-view show also have Mick walking on stage?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 6:26am
If I could turn the wayback machine to 7/19/72, Brown Sugar was the best.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

charlotte
Rocks Off Regular

You've got a cut throat
crew

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:01am
no shit Nelly...what a stunning light show

&&&&

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:03am
charlotte wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:01am:
no shit Nelly...what a stunning light show

To this day, the mirror at the end, during SFM, band at full tilt, has to rate as the best energy moment in a concert I've ever witnessed.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 11:26am
I agree I think SFTD would be an incredible opener.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 11:35am
I like JJF

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 11:54am
Paint it black worked well I think. Gimme Shelter and Sympathy would be killer and I bet Rambler was too. They should open with something dark.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 11:58am
At this point, I'd settle for "Happy Birthday"  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

LJ.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:46pm
No shit...At this point I'd happily go to a show where they only played SMU, Miss You, and Shattered.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Quote:

Platter, I am fairly certain you are mistaken, for once.  Roll Eyes   At the shows I saw and on the Miami PPV, Mick came up through the floor during the opening of SFTD wearing his "devilish" outfit with the top hat at two thirds of the way through the show.   He walked out from the side at the start.

On topic:    The MR opening in Australia must be hands down the most unprecedented, surprising, and mind-boggling opener ever although I've never heard a recording of that version.   I can't imagine one better.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:00pm by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

monkey_man
Rocks Off Regular

Fac ut vivas.

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:57pm
LadyJane wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 11:58am:
At this point, I'd settle for "Happy Birthday"  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

LJ.

LOL I've actually seen Mick and Keith sing Happy Birthday to their tour manager.

Rocks Off would be the best opener on this list!
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:59pm by monkey_man »  

...&&&&.........&&&&"In other words shut the hell up about what others believe. It only makes you look like a small minded snob. "&&&&Riffy

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:09pm
Zack wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:54pm:
Quote:
i thought not fade away was really cool-  mick being elevated from under the stage on that little platform was a great idea.  this was during the voodoo lounge tour.

Platter, I am fairly certain you are mistaken, for once.  Roll Eyes   At the shows I saw and on the Miami PPV, Mick came up through the floor during the opening of SFTD wearing his "devilish" outfit with the top hat at two thirds of the way through the show.   He walked out from the side at the start.

Naw I've seen him pop up from under the stage as well. I think it was the Giants stadium show. Halloween I think.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:11pm
At the start?

According to Gazza's data, they were in LA on Halloween.  Giants was Aug 12-17.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:17pm by Zack »  

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:22pm
Yeah it was either LA or Giants. I remember downloading both boots (pro-shot) a long time ago and I distinctly remember Mick popping up from under the stage during the opening of the show. I'll try to find a clip on youtube. Smiley

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Holden wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:09pm:
Quote:

Platter, I am fairly certain you are mistaken, for once.  Roll Eyes   At the shows I saw and on the Miami PPV, Mick came up through the floor during the opening of SFTD wearing his "devilish" outfit with the top hat at two thirds of the way through the show.   He walked out from the side at the start.

Naw I've seen him pop up from under the stage as well. I think it was the Giants stadium show. Halloween I think.

thanks for backing me up.  i have the show on vhs right in front of me.  it wasn't the holloween show dude, to cold here at that time of year.  they did 5 shows at giant stadium for this tour and i went to all 5.  i think they took place in july or aug.  all seats in the house were a manageable  50 dollars.
and it was pretty cool when the drum beat was going on it it was pretty clear the band was on stage a lot of people were going like, wheres mick wheres mick....hell, even i was going like wheres mick and then bam, there he was, there he is.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:44pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:36pm
Dancing with Mr. D?  If only.  If only something we haven't heard 50 million times.

Out of Time?  With big strings and a snappin' snare sound as on Metamorphosis?  Bitchin'.  (I know it's not the Stones behind MJ on Metamorphosis.)

Midnight Rambler at Enmore Theatre is a great opener, though the tape I've heard doesn't do it full justice.  Just Rough Justice.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:43pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:51pm
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for backing me up.  i have the show on vhs right in front of me.  it wasn't the holloween show dude, to cold here at that time of year.  they did 5 shows at giant stadium for this tour and i went to all 5.  i think they took place in july or aug.  all seats in the house were a manageable  50 dollars.
and it was pretty cool when the drum beat was going on it it was pretty clear the band was on stage a lot of people were going like, wheres mick wheres mick....hell, even i was going like wheres mick and then bam, there he was, there he is.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it and say mea culpa.  Sorry dude. What's the date of the show you have on VHS? 

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 5:01pm
Zack wrote on Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:51pm:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for backing me up.  i have the show on vhs right in front of me.  it wasn't the holloween show dude, to cold here at that time of year.  they did 4 shows at giant stadium for this tour and i went to all 5.  i think they took place in july or aug.  all seats in the house were a manageable  50 dollars.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it and say mea culpa.  Sorry dude. What's the date of the show you have on VHS?  

looking at the vhs box it does not have a date on it.  it reads, live from giants stadiun in new jersey.  anyway, i know i'm right so you can go ahead and say you're sorry...on your knees.

they played 4 shows there from aug 12th thru to the 17th 1994...so it is one of those shows

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008 at 5:07pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)