Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ronnie & Keith's mad drug antics (Read 2,334 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Ronnie & Keith's mad drug antics
Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:11pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
ROLLING STONE RONNIE WOOD’s former manager NICK COWAN has penned an explosive new book called Fifty Teabags And A Bottle Of Rum.

The Sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1834560.ece

In Day Two of a series of exclusive extracts from his memoirs, here Nick reveals the incredible booze and drug-fuelled antics of party animals Ronnie and bandmate KEITH RICHARDS.

MICK JAGGER has been clean for years and rarely drinks even a glass of wine on tour.

Ronnie and Keith Richards, on the other hand, were permanently fuelled by a combination of cocaine and alcohol.

I remember taking Ronnie to David Forecast, a Harley Street doctor, for his pre-tour medical.

He asked Ronnie how many units of alcohol he consumed on a regular basis. Ronnie totted it up and told him.

“Hmm,” said the doctor. “Not too bad — almost within the acceptable number of units per week.”

“Per week?” said Ronnie. “What are you talking about? That’s my daily intake.”

His addiction became so severe he could not pass the medical for the 2003 tour and had to spend a month in a clinic in Arizona before he was fit to go touring.

But it should be said that after drying out he completed the gigs without either drugs or alcohol.

It is Florida in October, 1981, and it’s another tour. Twenty-five shows have gone by since the first show in August.

The band are having a week’s break and Keith and Ronnie are staying in a rented house in Palm Beach.

Also staying in the house is one Freddie Sessler, who describes himself as the world’s oldest groupie but is also renowned for his ability to supply any sort of pill without prescription.

The first few days pass relatively quietly but on Wednesday Keith and Ronnie get involved in a marathon songwriting session which is to last more than 48 hours.

A mixture of vodka and cocaine plus pills known as Sessler’s Helpers keep both of them wired up.

Iron man Keith sees sleep as a weakness and heaps insults on anybody who needs to go to bed before he is ready.

I am able to slip back to my hotel in the early mornings without attracting too much attention, but by Friday, with a show scheduled for the next day we persuade both of them to take to their beds.

There is one problem — Keith is so overhyped from his intake of the past few days that he’s unable to sleep. Sessler is summoned and administers a powerful sleeping pill which has the desired effect.

The private jet which is due to transport everyone to Orlando is scheduled to leave at 1pm the following day, giving Ronnie and Keith plenty of time to recover.

But when I return to the house the next morning I realise immediately something has gone seriously wrong.

Ronnie is fine, wide awake and having his usual fry-up but Larry — Keith’s PA — has been unable to wake Keith. No amount of shaking and shouting can get him to stir.

It transpires that there were enough barbiturates in the sleeping pill to anaesthetise a horse.

Keith is finally woken up by having iced water poured all over him, but there is a further problem.

So deep was the drug-induced sleep that Keith has remained motionless for hours with his full weight on his right arm.

Circulation to the arm has been cut off and he cannot move it. At this point Keith says he is going back to sleep and does just that.

We are going to be two hours late taking off, but we cannot leave without Keith.

Sessler finally manages to wake Keith and persuades him to take another pill to get the adrenaline running. In the meantime, an assistant has been massaging Keith’s arm to try to get the circulation going.

Finally, after several hours of work on Keith’s arm, the circulation has been restored and we can leave for the airport — but not before Keith has had his usual afternoon breakfast of red wine.

Limos are waiting at Orlando to rush Keith and Ronnie to the stadium. By now the start of the show is two hours late and the audience is restless.

Although very late, the concert is hugely successful and the band leave in blacked out vans, with the audience calling for more.

At the hotel the band members retire to their respective suites. CHARLIE WATTS, who is teetotal and vegetarian, settles in for a quiet night after his usual massage.

Mick Jagger has a rendezvous known only to his security man.

Keith will spend the night listening to music with only a few close friends for company. His suite is not accessible unless an invitation has been issued. When issued, it has the force of a royal command.

Ronnie’s suite is known as party central. All night, every night, the door is open to anyone who wants a drink and more.

Of course, security is present to keep out undesirables but in every city Ronnie’s party friends seem to come out of the woodwork.

On tour ... Nick Cowan with Stones guitarist in 1992
Mick and Charlie, who enjoy their sleep, have suites as far away as possible from Keith and Ronnie.

Such is the volume of music that can be heard through the night from these two that their suites must be isolated from the other rooms.

The rooms on the floor below are unlettable except to the totally deaf.

The bars must be stocked with the right bottles and the hotel kitchen must be ready to produce special food around the clock.

Even in the most far-flung places in the world, British essentials such as baked beans, HP sauce and PG Tips tea must be on hand.

In 2002, Nick’s time as Ronnie’s manager came to an end after 22 years — after a joint business project ended in disaster. Nick says:

The time came when Ronnie asked me to find a project to keep his wife JO busy in London while we spent time in Ireland.

This resulted in the setting up of ill-fated Harrington private members club in south Kensington, London. It lost Ronnie and myself millions and cost me my job.

Once Jo was involved in the design, the budget flew out the window. The £1,000 a week on flowers was the least of it.

Every time the architect tried to rein her in, the response was: “It’s our money. We can do what we like with it.”

I lost more than a million pounds of my own money trying to keep it going. Within a year I was no longer Ron’s manager.

Adapted by BEN JACKSON. Fifty Tea Bags And A Bottle Of Rum by Nick Cowan (Quartet Books, £18) is out this week.

To buy a copy from the Sun Bookshop for £16.20 including p&p ring 08700 715517.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:40pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Re: Ronnie & Keith's mad drug antics
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:18pm
that looks like a good book, where can one buy it ?

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm
how many copies have been snorted?

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:48pm
gotdablouse wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:18pm:

To buy a copy from the Sun Bookshop for £16.20 including p&p ring 08700 715517. 

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 10:56pm
All those pills...."pills to go to sleep, pills to wake up...." What a cycle. So many in entertainment have been in that condition. And then the copious amounts of alcohol. And the coke and heroin. It's a wonder Keith OR Ronnie are still alive.....

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:06pm
it does illustrate is how resilient the human body can be...

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:12pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:06pm:
it does illustrate is how resilient the human body can be...

Or, more likely, how strong the constitutions of Keith and Ronnie really are! Most people WOULD have been dead--long ago.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:49pm
i disagree you see - sure some might not be able to handle it but it is amazing what the human body can put up with - some of the  toughest people i see  are those crusty old folks (men and women)  who look as if they have lived on the street most of their lives  living on cigarettes and alcohol -

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

erikjjf
Rocks Off Regular

Sweden
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:05am
gotdablouse wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:18pm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Tea-Bags-Bottle-Rum/dp/0704371448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:06am
stonedinaustralia wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:49pm:
i disagree you see - sure some might not be able to handle it but it is amazing what the human body can put up with - some of the  toughest people i see  are those crusty old folks (men and women)  who look as if they have lived on the street most of their lives  living on cigarettes and alcohol -

I think it's all in the genes...

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 2:23am
Man, I've been down that road. Booze and pills and powders... It is indeed amazing what the human body can handle... but a fair amount of constitution and a willingness NOT TO DIE kicks in after a while.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

detroitken
Rocks Off Regular

royal oak,mich.usa
Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:41am
Thanx for the link Erik............another 1 sold...........

IP Logged

Ten Thousand Motels
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:45am
Sioux wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:06am:
i disagree you see - sure some might not be able to handle it but it is amazing what the human body can put up with - some of the  toughest people i see  are those crusty old folks (men and women)  who look as if they have lived on the street most of their lives  living on cigarettes and alcohol -

Yeah....from what I understand old Bert was quite a rummy himself.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:01pm
Ten Thousand Motels wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:45am:
Sioux wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:06am:

Yeah....from what I understand old Bert was quite a rummy himself.

Was he? Didn't know that. I guess he was a hardy one too, living a good, long life. I imagine Keith will be around a lot longer than most. He seems indestructible.

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:08pm
Gee, I wish I was rich and could afford to become an alcoholic.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 6:00am
Thanks to the crash of the AUssie dollar, 16pounds is something like $60.00!!!!

I'll wait for the paperback.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)