Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best version of "Gimme Shelter" ? (Read 2,493 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Best version of "Gimme Shelter" ?
Reply #25 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 8:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
" Yes there certainly is Joey.Iheard it on XM Radio driving to work this am. Its the version butchered by Grand Fuck Railroad..... "

You make Joey smile .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Paris, France
Re: Best version of "Gimme Shelter" ?
Reply #26 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:09am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Thanks to all the tips here, I pulled out an assortment of CDs and MP3s and gave the various versions a listen :

1. Original/CD/Sennheiser HD212 headphones : stellar playing, particularly the guitars, pretty crappy sound, saturates a bit, Merry Clayton is not very distinc in the mix. LIB really needs a good remix, some tunes are even worse off, in LIB Mick's vocal is completely off-center to the left...

2. Live_Paraison/Wild Horses CD Single/HD212 : excellent sound, version is a bit "plodding" though, maybe a tad too slow. Guitars are ok, but nowhere near the original ones though.

3. Live_Paraison/Saint of Me CD1 Single/HD212 : appears to be the same version.

4. MP3s/PC with Subwoofer : Hamburg 1973 still stands out as the best, both for the sound and the performance. Brussels is a bit "muddy". "Steel Wheels Performance" version (Tokyo 90 ?) is indeed quite good, both the sound and the playing. Better than Paradiso I'd say.

Next up, pulling out "4 flicks"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)