Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Johnny Rotten Flogging Butter (Read 306 times)
GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Johnny Rotten Flogging Butter
Oct 11th, 2008 at 6:07pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
One-time punk pin-up and sometime anarchist John Lydon (f/k/a Johnny Rotten) has mellowed further into middle age by starring in a £5m TV campaign for Country Life butter.

Watch it here!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/01/advertising.television

The campaign, available to watch exclusively at MediaGuardian.co.uk, marks the first time the 52-year-old has appeared in a TV commercial.
"People know I only do things that I want to or that I believe in and I have to do it my way," said Lydon on deciding to appear in the TV ad.
"I've never done anything like this before and never thought I would, but this Country Life ad was made for me and I couldn't resist the opportunity."
It seems a far cry from 1977, when the punk movement was riding a crest of popularity and Lydon and the Sex Pistols caused outrage by releasing God Save the Queen during the week of the Queen's silver jubilee.
The anti-royal song was a hit but outraged traditionalists, so much so that Lydon was reportedly attacked in the street.
The Country Life advert cashes in on Lydon's standing as a British icon, albeit of the nihilistic variety.
He is seen wearing a tweed suit and gallivanting around the countryside, suggesting reasons why he might prefer Country Life, before settling on the fact that the Dairy Crest-owned brand simply tastes better.
"It's not about Great Britain, it's about Great Butter," runs the slogan.
The ad, created by WPP agency Grey London, appears on TV for the first time tonight on ITV during the Pride of Britain Awards.
In recent years Lydon has led a quiet life, gaining attention in 2006 by competing in I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!, in which he was pecked by a group of ostriches before remaining true to his anarchist roots by walking out before the final.
By appearing in the advert Lydon might be courting a new controversy. Dairy Crest has just announced that it is seeking job cuts and could close its Nottingham dairy.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Johnny Rotten Flogging Butter
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 9:52pm
Wow, that was a bit of surreal! A punker in a commercial.....it was quite cute, actually. {if you like your Sex Pistols cute!}

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:03am
The world truly has gone insane.

But to be fair, he never really stood for anything but himself. It was all a lark, wasnt it?

But more importantly, under this clip, is a link to Thom Yorke talking about playing "After the GOldrush" at Neil Young's 2006 Bridge Concert. But even cooler, he played the song on the actual piano it was written on!
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:07am by corgi37 »  

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 8:27pm
thanks GTRM - you can always count on johnny for the unexpected

You rock! Let's go get drunk You rock!
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:34am by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)