Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: ITS ONLY ROCK N ROLL VS GOATS HEAD SOUP

IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL    
  16 (43.2%)
GOATS HEAD SOUP    
  21 (56.8%)

Total votes: 37
« Created by: Ten Thousand Motels on: Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:37am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Iorr vs Ghs (Read 1,511 times)
MaineMotels
Ex Member

Iorr vs Ghs
Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:37am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
GHS.....such an odd record. It doesn't seem to fit in the correct time frame for some reason. Angie is such a sappy song. Silver Train and Starfucker are great rockers but nowhere near the quality of Gimme Shelter or IORR.

IP Logged

Monkeytonkman
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Iorr vs Ghs
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:48am
Goats Head Soup - one of my favourite stones albums, this is a no brainer for me!! Smiley

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:40pm
this is another difficult ttm question and again i am going to say it is impossible to answer.  this much i know...i got iorr the other week and listened to it for the 1st time in YEARS, so my answer to this is iorr.  but don't write this in stone people.  it was a pleasure to hear luxury and if you really want to be my friend and one or two others.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Goats Head Soup for sure. That record is up there with LIB and Sticky fingers for me. The title track off IORR is my favorite Stones song at the moment though.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:59pm
I went with IORR but it's a pretty minor question, really.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 8:18pm
seems to be off different era's. GHS seemed to be made more under the influence whereas IORR is shiny and bright. the stones always captured the current zeitgeist. GHS soup seems to be the point where they became more of the past than of the future the creative wave crested........ :smile

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:13pm
I know it is not their best. I know it doesn't have a string of hits. I know it isn't very commercial (if that matters any....).

But Goats Head Soup is my very favorite Stones album ...to me. It is my personal favorite.

This album is so different. It is a cold, winter time album and to me has a place special in that.

The songs are so meaningful and I love the thicker, murky, almost hissy sound of the production.

There is so much going on in the songs. It is a special album to me.

As far as IORR ...I always thought that while they had a sure rock classic on it (IORR) and a few other good tunes it was a weaker Stones album and I rarely if ever play it anymore.

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:16pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:22pm
GHS wasn't very commercial? It had a #1 worldwide hit (Angie) & Doo Doo Doo Doo was a slightly bigger hit than IORR. As I type this, I'm thinking IanBillen's a dolt!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 11:26pm
I don't understand why people hate Angie so much. I think it's a wonderful ballad and a Stones classic. As for GHS overall. It wasn't until a few years ago when I finally bought the CD that I realized how good it is. Yes a little different by Stones standards and by accounts Keith wasn't much of a participant at the time. But Jagger and Taylor and some good production pulled through to make this one just a notch below the classics.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 11:39pm
Quote:
GHS wasn't very commercial? It had a #1 worldwide hit (Angie) & Doo Doo Doo Doo was a slightly bigger hit than IORR. As I type this, I'm thinking IanBillen's a dolt!

Glencar. GHS has no more than two songs that had any real chance of a being a solid single or to receive major air-play. That's two songs that are truly radio friendly. That is hardly a "commercial release". See Some Girls if you want commercial. While those two songs were quite good and scored well on the charts the rest of the album is an experimental, moody, gloomy, "emotionally down", secluded sounding record.

I'd call two tracks of an entire album that had any chance of getting considerable air-play a pretty non-commercial effort wouldn't you?

(...and we did not even go deep into the recording/production side of things which again, is a good 75% non-radio friendly in terms of how the songs run and their actual sound).

Just because an album places high on the charts or has a hit single or two certainly does not mean it was a commercially oriented release.

Look at U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (not real radio friendly over all except for two songs) compared to Achtung Baby (very commercial release with plenty of radio ready tunes). Or perhaps take into consideration Metallica's last two albums which both hit number one on the charts yet have so very few radio possible singles to blow it out of the water. This group of albums I mentioned did quite well on the charts but hosted very few radio possible songs.

??Get it?? Wink

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008 at 11:53pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

stones67
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 3:42am
I remember a positive reception for Goats Head Soup when it first came out  .... Angie was HUGE, the album sold really well. I thought at the time it sounded like they had progressed musically. 100 years ago, Can you hear the music, Winter, Hide your love, Heartbreaker.... all are great Taylor moments. Taylor was shining and it seemed taking the band forward.

It was also released at the height of the glitter rock era, so Jagger and to a lesser extent the rest of band subtley shifted their image to accomodate this. Check the clips on you tube for Angie, Silver train and Dancing with Mr D.

I remember one review... even after all these years.... where it suggested GHS may be their best ever album and a step forward from Exile, which unbelievably at the time did not have the classic Stones album status it has now. I remember the article and the critic said "Exile was an attempt to return to their R and B roots". So at the time of it's release GHS was also seen as more accessible than Exile.

Exile had no huge Brown Sugar type of single..... at the time the great Tumbling Dice was a bit of a sleeper. When GHS came out it had Angie, which was the big radio friendly single that the market demanded to promote the album proper.

I love GHS still, and still think it quality music by any measure. Starfucker is one of their great rockers, Coming down again one of their great balads.... I personally love Dancing with Mr D......and far as commercial singles go I think Angie is among the best.

I don't know what the complaints are about. Compare it to the albums other bands where releasing at the time and I think it stands up great.

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 4:13am
Goats Head Soup by a mile.

IORR has it's moments, but, Satanic Majesties aside, it was their weakest effort to date.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 9:53am
IORR weaker than, say Dirty Work, or Steel Wheels?  Surely you jest.  Any album with Time Wait For No One beats them hands down.  IYCRM, Dance Little Sister and then title track are also great.  Hate the Nazi cover though.

Glenny, I've got to back Ian and say any album that has a song that goes "You're a star fucker star fucker star fucker" and "I bet it keeps your pussy clean" is not particularly commercial.  Also the other songs about death and junkie kids on street corners weren't exactly huge with the teenybopper set.  

I also contradict Ian and vote for IORR.

(Hey Motels, look how close the vote is.  Maybe this is a good thread.)  Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2008 at 1:24pm by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 10:20am
I remember when the Stars on 45 version of Stones hitz came out & it included that fragment from Start Star in the middle. By the end, the phones were ringing off the hook because the deejay (Frankie Crocker) intoned that he had NO idea those words were in the song & it would never be played again.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 11:50am

GHS

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 11:51am
" I remember when the Stars on 45 version of Stones hitz came out  "

Absolutely archaic reference lost on mass audience .

WHY ?!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #16 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 12:25pm
No contest. As much as I like Goat's Head Soup, IORR is one of my favorite Stones albums.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

IrelandCalling4
Rocks Off Regular

Jolly Green Ireland
Reply #17 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 1:49pm
Absolutely GHS over IORR

Even though IORR has it's fair share of shining moments, namely the three standouts - "Luxury", "Time Waits for No-one" and the brilliant "Fingerprint File", I think IORR was the first album after the golden period where it did seem simply like a collection of songs. The songs just didn't coalesce into something magical.

GHS, even today, just has somethng exotic about it. The mood, the murky production, the dark lyrics. The likes of '100 Years Ago', 'Heartbreaker', 'Coming Down Again' and especially 'Winter' are top notch. A great album, as someone remarked above, just a notch below the classics.

GHS for me!

'Ceol, ol agus cailin' - As Good A Motto As Any&&&&Top 5 Song-Titles:&&&&1.  "I'm going to Build me a bar, in the back of my Car, and drive myself to drink" !!&&&&2.  "How come your dog don't bite nobody but me"!&&&&3.  "Don't Cry on my shoulder cuz you're rusting my spurs" &&&&4.  "The Beer I had for breakfast is coming back for Lunch" (Love that one!)&&&&5.  "If money talks, it ain't on speaking terms with me" !

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #18 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:12pm
Going by album cover art, IORR icover is a tasteful~masterpiece!
GHS covers are ugly~wierd. MICK looks like a woman =peverted sexuality. and pot with a floating goat's head floating = bloody morbid!
STARFVCKER =xxx sexual  , COMIN' DOWN AGAIN =drugs, DANCIN WITH MR D = drug ref. for heroin. HEARTBREAKER = violence and the darker side of life.

IORR's RS celebrating fame & talent with the signature rock anthum tune IORR! It's about as mainstream as the Stones have ever been. Celebrating the good life, IF YOU CANT ROCK ME somebody surely will! LUXURY, livin' the good life. TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE was an instant classic, DANCE LITTLE SISTER commanding the audience!

Different flavors. I think the covers reflect the music  its a what you are in the mood for.
IORR=rocking with the Stones!
GHS =rolling with The Stones!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 1:33am
Bitch wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:12pm:
Going by album cover art, IORR icover is a tasteful~masterpiece!
GHS covers are ugly~wierd. MICK looks like a woman =peverted sexuality. and pot with a floating goat's head floating = bloody morbid!
STARFVCKER =xxx sexual  , COMIN' DOWN AGAIN =drugs, DANCIN WITH MR D = drug ref. for heroin. HEARTBREAKER = violence and the darker side of life.

IORR's RS celebrating fame & talent with the signature rock anthum tune IORR! It's about as mainstream as the Stones have ever been. Celebrating the good life, IF YOU CANT ROCK ME somebody surely will! LUXURY, livin' the good life. TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE was an instant classic, DANCE LITTLE SISTER commanding the audience!

Different flavors. I think the covers reflect the music  its a what you are in the mood for.
IORR=rocking with the Stones!
GHS =rolling with The Stones!

-------------------------------------

Well stated! Smiley

Ian
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2008 at 1:35am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)