Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Exile (right) and friend, Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas - May 11th, 2024 © Mark McHugh

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Breaking News (if true) Zeppelin to reunite (Read 5,090 times)
Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Re: Breaking News (if true) Zeppelin to reunite
Reply #25 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:39pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Quote:
no plant no zep.

wpdh here in po town has a 3 song zep set every weekday at 7pm.  i still like this band, but most of the time these days his high pitched voice makes my skin crawl...if i hear that song cashmier oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah yeah one more time .

i hope they do tour because it will probably be a good show.  i like that album, the song remains the same.

really?

One better No Bonham no LED really?

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #26 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Kilroy wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:39pm:

But there is a Bonham. Wink

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #27 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 8:31pm
Holden wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:52pm:

the blood makes the circle complete. but still its like the who with no moon............

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #28 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:43pm
mojoman wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 8:31pm:
Holden wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:52pm:

the blood makes the circle complete. but still its like the who with no moon............

Agree His Boy, Sorry I forgot, but I agree No Moon No Who, See my post about drummers and the importance of the Drummer to the Band.  really?

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #29 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:56am
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:22am:
I dont view that article as an official statement. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hopefully, it wont happen. It would be incredibly anti climactic, utterly pointless without any new material and a really bad joke.

A poor post-script to the band's legacy.

And from a Stones fan's perspective, its not "good news". This will be the most lucrative tour of all time. With the market being what it is, every other tour will suffer as a result. Demand for a Stones tour would be very seriously affected.

I agree. If they do decide to tour they better put out an album. Otherwise it lessens the credibility and purpose of the tour if this is supposed to be touted as a sort of legendary come back. They need a new release to coincide if they are to do it or it will be kind of cheesy all the way around. In my opinion after 28 years ...they should let it die in the legendary status they have (which I agree with but not in head over heals way) and not try and do it again one more time some 28 years later. Like you said, until there is more word coming in from their people who are inside with their camp I am reluctant to believe this. It is one article from one source in which has no proven ground yet.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:58am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:20am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:10pm:
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:57pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:11am:
I'm pretty sure your in the minority on this one Gazza. I would love to see a tour. As you said the O2 show was good. I see no reason why they wouldn't play well on a whole tour. As far as being a joke. No more than the Stones have been at times on recent tours. Besides they are musicians,that's what they do. Play music. They might as well play it together.

If the Stones had split up in 1980, stated that they'd never work together again and then reunited almost 30 years later playing nothing but material from the 60s and 70's, I'd feel EXACTLY the same way.

For a guy who's only a casual Zep fan. I don't quite understand why you are so dead set against this. Any chance we might just give them the benefit of the doubt before we throw them under the bus,then back up and run over them again.

I own all their albums on CD, have most of them on vinyl plus several bootlegs, so I'm hardly THAT 'casual'. I was a big fan maybe 20-25 years ago.

'Dead set against it' ? Hardly. It's their right to do what the fuck they want and your right to be excited by it. Its also mine to be somewhat underwhelmed by the prospect as artistically I think it has very little merit and just kills the mythology somewhat.

That's how I personally view a lot of things, although I realise other people are more into the nostalgia end of music.  The history of popular music has many unfinished chapters - some of them were just better left unresolved (Why didnt The Beatles/The Clash/Led Zeppelin ever reunite) and some were the worse for never having happened (what if Elvis had toured outside the US?)

In short, if they were playing reasonably locally, I'd probably go see them if it was affordable but it wouldnt break my heart to miss it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:33am
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:55pm:
speedfreakjive wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:16pm:
Holden wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:07pm:
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:22am:
Hopefully, it wont happen. It would be incredibly anti climactic, utterly pointless without any new material and a really bad joke.

A poor post-script to the band's legacy.

+1, just like what happened at the o2 show. Boooring.

Also a huge part of the Zeppelin appeal, at least to the young crowd, is the mystique around the band. Would they tour now they'll lose that god status, with hundreds of youtube clips, sloppy guitar screw-ups etc..

disagree with the u2 comment ; the difference between recent u2 and Stones shows is that u2 actually play a decent number of songs of their more recent albums, hence they aren't a nostalgia act despite the fact they do play older material

he didnt mention U2, mate. It was "o2" as in the 02 Arena show they did last December

lol, indeed

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #32 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 6:00am
*Gazza Wrote:

"Its also mine to be somewhat underwhelmed by the prospect as artistically I think it has very little merit and just kills the mythology somewhat."

Exactamundo. IF they feel they must, they better damn well put out an album or it will be even less relevant than it already is from an artistic, and productive objective in the year 2009 for this so called "historic come back" or legendary reunion.   

*Gazza also writes:

"The history of popular music has many unfinished chapters - some of them were just better left unresolved."

In conjunction, these are my thoughts exactly.  It would be better left "as is". Any sort of reunion at this stage will sort of take away from the mythology (as you stated) and mystery behind them and the legacy they already have set in stone as a group. This is the main reason I say ...."why bother it". Surely money is not a real factor. I am sure they still have loads of that.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 6:03am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #33 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:31am
If their fans got even half the buzz I get seeing the Stones then I wish them well and hope they tour.Its only rock and roll.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #34 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:50am
Gazza wrote on Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:20am:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:10pm:
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:57pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:11am:
I'm pretty sure your in the minority on this one Gazza. I would love to see a tour. As you said the O2 show was good. I see no reason why they wouldn't play well on a whole tour. As far as being a joke. No more than the Stones have been at times on recent tours. Besides they are musicians,that's what they do. Play music. They might as well play it together.

If the Stones had split up in 1980, stated that they'd never work together again and then reunited almost 30 years later playing nothing but material from the 60s and 70's, I'd feel EXACTLY the same way.

For a guy who's only a casual Zep fan. I don't quite understand why you are so dead set against this. Any chance we might just give them the benefit of the doubt before we throw them under the bus,then back up and run over them again.

I own all their albums on CD, have most of them on vinyl plus several bootlegs, so I'm hardly THAT 'casual'. I was a big fan maybe 20-25 years ago.

'Dead set against it' ? Hardly. It's their right to do what the fuck they want and your right to be excited by it. Its also mine to be somewhat underwhelmed by the prospect as artistically I think it has very little merit and just kills the mythology somewhat.

That's how I personally view a lot of things, although I realise other people are more into the nostalgia end of music.  The history of popular music has many unfinished chapters - some of them were just better left unresolved (Why didnt The Beatles/The Clash/Led Zeppelin ever reunite) and some were the worse for never having happened (what if Elvis had toured outside the US?)

In short, if they were playing reasonably locally, I'd probably go see them if it was affordable but it wouldnt break my heart to miss it.

Ok,my mistake Gazza. Somehow I thought I read once that you were only a casual fan. You are entitled to your opinion certainly. But I don't see it as a nostalgia act. Like you said,some bands never did reunite,leaving one to wonder what if? Some did and probably should'nt have. But I would certainly make a big effort to see multiple Zeppelin shows. You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #35 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 4:54am

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #36 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 5:07am
Ade wrote on Sep 29th, 2008 at 4:54am:

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for posting, Ade.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #37 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 6:03am
Sadness  What a post Ronnie!!!!!

But once more, it says a lot about the band's integrity.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #38 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 9:15am

" In short, if they were playing reasonably locally, I'd probably go see them if it was affordable but it wouldnt break my heart to miss it. "

... !!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #39 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 10:08am
you made a grown man cry you made a grown man cry you made a grown man cry

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #40 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 10:18am
Ian Billen wrote on Sep 27th, 2008 at 6:00am:
Exactamundo.

Heeyyy!!

fonzie.png (71 KB | )
fonzie.png

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #41 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:55pm
Gazza Wrote:

"I own all their albums on CD, have most of them on vinyl plus several bootlegs, so I'm hardly THAT 'casual'. I was a big fan maybe 20-25 years ago."

I have no idea how much of a Led Zep fan you are. You state you are much more than a "casual" Led Zep fan and I would not know if you were or weren't. I can just go on what you say. Have you even seen them? Just curious. Also, how often do you listen to them? How often do you bring them up in conversation?

Again,

I am not doubting you being a real Led Zepplin fan. I cannot judge something I have no idea about.

I am simply curious is all. If you have all their albums and as well a hand full of Led Zepplin bootlegs then that stands for something right there. I am just curious from a friendly standpoint. Are they in your top ten, and if so where?

As for me I like Led Zepplin alright. I do REALLY appreciate their sound. They certainly were one of a kind. I just was never ga-ga over them. I heard all their albums many times and I own a few as well. They were never 100% my cup of tea is all. They don't turn me on like crazy. I like some stuff. Most of it I at least appreciate. I don't think I totally "love" a single song by them though. I never crave to hear them. I may throw them on once in a blue moon when I am in a non-standard listening mood for myself. I hear them a lot on the classic rock stations anyway so really I never would miss them. I am not so sure I would miss them anyway. As I said I like some of their stuff and I admit they were good and all but they do not float my boat 110% is all. I would go see them however. I will listen to anyone if they put out something that is quality ....from Jazz to Folk.

Ian

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:06pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #42 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:59am
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:55pm:
Gazza Wrote:

"I own all their albums on CD, have most of them on vinyl plus several bootlegs, so I'm hardly THAT 'casual'. I was a big fan maybe 20-25 years ago."

I have no idea how much of a Led Zep fan you are. You state you are much more than a "casual" Led Zep fan and I would not know if you were or weren't. I can just go on what you say. Have you even seen them? Just curious. Also, how often do you listen to them? How often do you bring them up in conversation?

Again,

I am not doubting you being a real Led Zepplin fan. I cannot judge something I have no idea about.

I am simply curious is all. If you have all their albums and as well a hand full of Led Zepplin bootlegs then that stands for something right there. I am just curious from a friendly standpoint. Are they in your top ten, and if so where?

As for me I like Led Zepplin alright. I do REALLY appreciate their sound. They certainly were one of a kind. I just was never ga-ga over them. I heard all their albums many times and I own a few as well. They were never 100% my cup of tea is all. They don't turn me on like crazy. I like some stuff. Most of it I at least appreciate. I don't think I totally "love" a single song by them though. I never crave to hear them. I may throw them on once in a blue moon when I am in a non-standard listening mood for myself. I hear them a lot on the classic rock stations anyway so really I never would miss them. I am not so sure I would miss them anyway. As I said I like some of their stuff and I admit they were good and all but they do not float my boat 110% is all. I would go see them however. I will listen to anyone if they put out something that is quality ....from Jazz to Folk.

Ian

No, I've never seen them. (I WAS one of the 20 million who applied for the 02 lottery last December, though!)

Their last UK shows were Knebworth in 1979 and the last before that was Earls Court in 1975, so as I was born in 1963 I was way too young to go and see concerts.

That plus the fact that Belfast being what it was when I was growing up, it was an absolute no-go area for live performers throughout most of the 70s. Zeppelin played here in 1971, though. In fact, "Stairway to heaven" was performed for the first time ever in Belfast.

I would have been a bigger fan in the late 70s - mid 80's, but I havent really listened to them regularly in over 20 years or so. I think I just 'grew' out of that type of music. They would have maybe been in my top ten about 25 years ago, but nowhere near that now. Maybe in the top 20-30.

Owning all their albums isnt that a big deal. They only released eight studio albums and a live record during the lifetime of the band, so its not an awful lot. There would be plenty of artists who I'd own 10 or more albums by.

Surprisingly, my top five all time artists hasnt changed since I was about 16-17 years old.

Top 3 - (order veries) - The Stones, Dylan and Springsteen. I'd be a pretty much obsessive fan/collector of all three.

4 & 5 - (order varies) - Elvis and The Beatles

Rest of the top 10 after that would probably be Neil Young, Johnny Cash, The Clash, The Who and maybe Lucinda Williams

11-20 would be something like (in no particular order) : Tom Waits, Steve Earle, David Bowie, Lou Reed/Velvets, The Doors, Jerry Lee Lewis, Van Morrison, Prince, Warren Zevon, Leonard Cohen

21-30 (in no order) - Patti Smith, Led Zeppelin, REM, The Band, U2, Ry Cooder, Beach Boys, Howlin' Wolf, Marvin Gaye, Sinatra

I'm a big fan of certain eras/labels without just generating it around one artist, eg Sun, Motown, Stax, Chess, etc.

I'm sure I've left someone out, but then thats hardly surprising as looking at that list, I'm clearly showing my age......
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 7:07am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #43 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 11:06am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7637372.stm

THIS MAKES JOEY CRY LIKE BABY !!!!!!!!!

Why .. ?!

WHY ?!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:09pm
the chick dj here on the classic rock station said today that robert plant will not be touring with the band for at least another 2 years.  she didn't say why.  then she played the live versin of stairway off of the song remains the same.....does anybody remember laughter?

i have to add....they were an amazing band back in the day.  i enjoyed them anyway.  it would be amazing if they did a tour.  just 1 more, at least.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:12pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #45 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 1:19am

Gazza Wrote:

"No, I've never seen them. (I WAS one of the 20 million who applied for the 02 lottery last December, though!)

Their last UK shows were Knebworth in 1979 and the last before that was Earls Court in 1975, so as I was born in 1963 I was way too young to go and see concerts. 

That plus the fact that Belfast being what it was when I was growing up, it was an absolute no-go area for live performers throughout most of the 70s. Zeppelin played here in 1971, though. In fact, "Stairway to heaven" was performed for the first time ever in Belfast.

I would have been a bigger fan in the late 70s - mid 80's, but I havent really listened to them regularly in over 20 years or so. I think I just 'grew' out of that type of music. They would have maybe been in my top ten about 25 years ago, but nowhere near that now. Maybe in the top 20-30.

Owning all their albums isnt that a big deal. They only released eight studio albums and a live record during the lifetime of the band, so its not an awful lot. There would be plenty of artists who I'd own 10 or more albums by. 

Surprisingly, my top five all time artists hasnt changed since I was about 16-17 years old. 

Top 3 - (order veries) - The Stones, Dylan and Springsteen. I'd be a pretty much obsessive fan/collector of all three. 

4 & 5 - (order varies) - Elvis and The Beatles

Rest of the top 10 after that would probably be Neil Young, Johnny Cash, The Clash, The Who and maybe Lucinda Williams

11-20 would be something like (in no particular order) : Tom Waits, Steve Earle, David Bowie, Lou Reed/Velvets, The Doors, Jerry Lee Lewis, Van Morrison, Prince, Warren Zevon, Leonard Cohen

21-30 (in no order) - Patti Smith, Led Zeppelin, REM, The Band, U2, Ry Cooder, Beach Boys, Howlin' Wolf, Marvin Gaye, Sinatra

I'm a big fan of certain eras/labels without just generating it around one artist, eg Sun, Motown, Stax, Chess, etc.

I'm sure I've left someone out, but then thats hardly surprising as looking at that list, I'm clearly showing my age...... "

A very informative answer indeed. Exactly what I was looking for. Also I now know pretty much exactly what your musical tastes are. By the way, you have made some nice choices. I've (I guess you might say) a lot of technical knowledge/experience in actually "recording" music. I wish I had your knowledge on music and the history of it. I have always wanted to ask this. With out giving away your secret, how do you know/pull up all those facts about many of these artists you mention? From live shows, who played where and when, who played what in the studio, who dropped what manager and the date they did such and why.... ya-da, ya-da, ya-da? Do you Google for this info most of the time or do you own several books or do you have websites selected for each of your main strong points or how do you do it? Do you have a  database (electronic database such as mySQL etc. etc.) you have built and compiled over time? How do you pull up all this exact, hard to find (even using Google) info and so quickly?

I wish I had that knowledge/access. With your historic Musical knowledge and pDogs wide range of musical enlightenment and his instrumental competence I would be a zillionaire.

Ian

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #46 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 6:21am
you're too kind.

I have a very good long-term memory when it comes to remembering absolutely silly stuff - my short-term memory is a different thing entirely, though. In all honesty, I couldnt even tell you what I had for dinner last night. I'm absolutely hopeless with remembering people's names in everyday life as well.

However, a lot of info is readily available in books or online. Its really just knowing where to look. As far as stuff like the setlists page goes, I did a lot of that just by ploughing through my own collection - although obviously there had to be a fair amount of cross checking.

So, basically its a combination of good memory and readily accessible info.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #47 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:30pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 6:21am:
you're too kind.

I have a very good long-term memory when it comes to remembering absolutely silly stuff - my short-term memory is a different thing entirely, though. In all honesty, I couldnt even tell you what I had for dinner last night. I'm absolutely hopeless with remembering people's names in everyday life as well.

However, a lot of info is readily available in books or online. Its really just knowing where to look. As far as stuff like the setlists page goes, I did a lot of that just by ploughing through my own collection - although obviously there had to be a fair amount of cross checking.

So, basically its a combination of good memory and readily accessible info.

I see. It is impressive. I'm not "sucking up" to the Admin (admin ...ha-ha) or anything but I gotta say I have never really seen anything like that.

Ian

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #48 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 7:00pm
I just noticed Brand New Car is strikingly similar to trampled Underfoot.

Grease me straight down, good electric
I could lay it on the road, mama, it aint no trick

Ooh, trouble-free transmission, helps your oils flow
Mama, let me pump your gas, mama, let me do it all

Take that heavy metal underneath your hood
Baby, I could work all night, leave a big pile of tubes

Automobile club-covered, really built in style
Special is tradition, mama, let me feast my eyes

Factory air-conditioned, wind begins to rise
Guaranteed to run for hours, mama, and brand-new tires

Groovin on the freeway, blazes on the road
from now on my gasoline is even gonna conk your hair

Come to me for service every hundred miles
Baby, let me check your valves, fix your overdrive

Ooh, yes, fully automatic, comes in any size
Makes me wonder what I did, before I got synchronized

Ooh, feather-light suspension, coils just couldnt hold
Im so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)