Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch full show! with thanks to George García/Rolling Stones Archive and ROgerriffin for heads up
State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona - May 7, 2024 / Pic © Jini Sachse (Sweet Virginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Breaking News (if true) Zeppelin to reunite (Read 5,087 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Breaking News (if true) Zeppelin to reunite
Sep 25th, 2008 at 8:26pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Re: Breaking News (if true) Zeppelin to reunite
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:21pm
Doubt it.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:33pm
you will not be greeted.............. will ya 2

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:35pm
mojoman wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:33pm:

But JB hates Zep.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:43pm
robpop wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:35pm:
mojoman wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:33pm:

But JB hates Zep.

thats why you won't get greeted........
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:49pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:19pm
no plant no zep.

wpdh here in po town has a 3 song zep set every weekday at 7pm.  i still like this band, but most of the time these days his high pitched voice makes my skin crawl...if i hear that song cashmier oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah yeah one more time .

i hope they do tour because it will probably be a good show.  i like that album, the song remains the same.

really?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:13pm
Quote:
no plant no zep.

wpdh here in po town has a 3 song zep set every weekday at 7pm.  

PDH is still around??? Amazing for a mediocre Rock station...I used to listen to them sometimes 16 yrs ago or so...preferred WDST...and KOJ...

Anyway...is it really a Zep tour w/o Page AND Plant??? It would be  as bad as Townshend & Daltrey calling themselves the WHO!!

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:48am
It seems true, if only for the fact that Percy agreed to join in when they threatened to tour without him  Ouch!

Seriously, I do hope it's true. And I hope the tour brings them around my part of the world as well.
Led Zeppelin were great and legendary, no matter what Keith thinks about them  you made a grown man cry

And Robert Plant, imo, is one of the best frontmen and singers ever - not to mention he reminds me of LOTR's King Theoden these days  Wink

"When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll..."

Ah, bring it on already!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:49am
Paranoid Android wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:13pm:
Anyway...is it really a Zep tour w/o Page AND Plant??? It would be  as bad as Townshend & Daltrey calling themselves the WHO!!

Uhm, where exactly is that stated in the article?  Huh

FotiniD  
IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 3:23am

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:22am
I dont view that article as an official statement. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hopefully, it wont happen. It would be incredibly anti climactic, utterly pointless without any new material and a really bad joke.

A poor post-script to the band's legacy.

And from a Stones fan's perspective, its not "good news". This will be the most lucrative tour of all time. With the market being what it is, every other tour will suffer as a result. Demand for a Stones tour would be very seriously affected.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:27am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:33am
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:22am:
I dont view that article as an official statement. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hopefully, it wont happen. It would be incredibly anti climactic, utterly pointless without any new material and a really bad joke.

And from a Stones fan's perspective, its not "good news". This will be the most lucrative tour of all time. With the market being what it is, every other tour will suffer as a result. Demand for a Stones tour would be very seriously affected.

Well Gazza, with the history of our band the last decade or so I don't think as Stones fans we should be raising such, errr, sensitive issues  you made a grown man cry I mean, what have the Stones done from 1998 onwards to show they respect their legacy? Even the new material that they managed to create, was ignored by the band itself in live shows as if it was completely irrelevant! Not to mention repeated setlists, extravagant prices, etc. etc.

At least Zep haven't played their songs for what, two decades now? Even a standard warhorse setlist without any new material wouldn't be boring - not to mention I have a feeling they would try out making new material as well, once they got together. So I don't really see why they shouldn't give it a shot.

If there was just the usual $$$ factor involved, I think they would have had that reunion years ago and not now, since as you point out, the market's not in its best of times. Personally, I can't wait to see them.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:35am by FotiniD »  
FotiniD  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 8:02am
Guess these Zep rumors will never go away but I cant see them doing a tour long enough to challenge the ABB gross although they would do phenomenal numbers. A/C D/C are touring and you know U2 will be out next year so I'm still skeptical of any Stones action in 2009.A Zep tour of any size would kill Stones and put them on hold for 18 months os so..which at this point is a huge timeframe.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:47am
" Anyone have any faith in this?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24405451-5012327,00.html

Yes ---- It is the ' smart ' move .

Robert Plant made the correct decision . That being said , The Rolling Stones , The Who & MACCA are all MUCH better bands.

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:04am
FotiniD wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:49am:
Anyway...is it really a Zep tour w/o Page AND Plant??? It would be  as bad as Townshend & Daltrey calling themselves the WHO!!

Uhm, where exactly is that stated in the article?  Huh

Sorry...that was like, half a thought...I meant to say would it really be a Zep tour without both of them in the band?? Glad he didn't call their bluff to tour w/o him.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:14am
>Well Gazza, with the history of our band the last decade or so I don't think as Stones fans we should be raising such, errr, sensitive issues  you made a grown man cry I mean, what have the Stones done from 1998 onwards to show they respect their legacy? Even the new material that they managed to create, was ignored by the band itself in live shows as if it was completely irrelevant! Not to mention repeated setlists, extravagant prices, etc. etc.

True, but at least the Stones never broke up and never said they wouldnt ever do it again.

>At least Zep haven't played their songs for what, two decades now?

Three. Last US tour - 1977. Last UK shows (apart from the 02 gig)- Knebworth 1979 (with the New Barbarians supporting). Last European tour - 1980.

>Even a standard warhorse setlist without any new material wouldn't be boring - not to mention I have a feeling they would try out making new material as well, once they got together. So I don't really see why they shouldn't give it a shot.

Its maybe legitimate with a new release. Just jumping back into it after three decades is a joke. And a bad one.

>If there was just the usual $$$ factor involved, I think they would have had that reunion years ago and not now, since as you point out, the market's not in its best of times. Personally, I can't wait to see them.

Never suggested it was for the money. I agree with you completely. And the 02 show was very good. I just think that they're on a bit of a hiding to nothing artistically after such a long gap.

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:11am
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:14am:
>Well Gazza, with the history of our band the last decade or so I don't think as Stones fans we should be raising such, errr, sensitive issues  you made a grown man cry I mean, what have the Stones done from 1998 onwards to show they respect their legacy? Even the new material that they managed to create, was ignored by the band itself in live shows as if it was completely irrelevant! Not to mention repeated setlists, extravagant prices, etc. etc.

True, but at least the Stones never broke up and never said they wouldnt ever do it again.

>At least Zep haven't played their songs for what, two decades now?

Three. Last US tour - 1977. Last UK shows (apart from the 02 gig)- Knebworth 1979 (with the New Barbarians supporting). Last European tour - 1980.

>Even a standard warhorse setlist without any new material wouldn't be boring - not to mention I have a feeling they would try out making new material as well, once they got together. So I don't really see why they shouldn't give it a shot.

Its maybe legitimate with a new release. Just jumping back into it after three decades is a joke. And a bad one.

>If there was just the usual $$$ factor involved, I think they would have had that reunion years ago and not now, since as you point out, the market's not in its best of times. Personally, I can't wait to see them.

Never suggested it was for the money. I agree with you completely. And the 02 show was very good. I just think that they're on a bit of a hiding to nothing artistically after such a long gap.

I'm pretty sure your in the minority on this one Gazza. I would love to see a tour. As you said the O2 show was good. I see no reason why they wouldn't play well on a whole tour. As far as being a joke. No more than the Stones have been at times on recenty tours. Besides they are musicians,that's what they do. Play music. They might as well play it together.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:15am
I hate LZ with every fiber of my being.
I respect Page but Plant's voice makes me want to SCREAM....and not a good scream.

Shiver...........

LJ.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:07pm

+1, just like what happened at the o2 show. Boooring.

Also a huge part of the Zeppelin appeal, at least to the young crowd, is the mystique around the band. Would they tour now they'll lose that god status, with hundreds of youtube clips, sloppy guitar screw-ups etc..

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:15pm
From a strictly musical and performance standpoint I would rank the 2008 Robert Plant Alison Krauss shows a lot better than the O2 Arena show.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:16pm
Holden wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:07pm:

Also a huge part of the Zeppelin appeal, at least to the young crowd, is the mystique around the band. Would they tour now they'll lose that god status, with hundreds of youtube clips, sloppy guitar screw-ups etc..

disagree with the u2 comment ; the difference between recent u2 and Stones shows is that u2 actually play a decent number of songs of their more recent albums, hence they aren't a nostalgia act despite the fact they do play older material

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:55pm
speedfreakjive wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:16pm:
Holden wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:07pm:

disagree with the u2 comment ; the difference between recent u2 and Stones shows is that u2 actually play a decent number of songs of their more recent albums, hence they aren't a nostalgia act despite the fact they do play older material

he didnt mention U2, mate. It was "o2" as in the 02 Arena show they did last December

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:57pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:11am:
I'm pretty sure your in the minority on this one Gazza. I would love to see a tour. As you said the O2 show was good. I see no reason why they wouldn't play well on a whole tour. As far as being a joke. No more than the Stones have been at times on recenty tours. Besides they are musicians,that's what they do. Play music. They might as well play it together.

If the Stones had split up in 1980, stated that they'd never work together again and then reunited almost 30 years later playing nothing but material from the 60s and 70's, I'd feel EXACTLY the same way.

... ... ...
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:22pm
Quote:
no plant no zep.

wpdh here in po town has a 3 song zep set every weekday at 7pm.  

PDH is still around??? Amazing for a mediocre Rock station...I used to listen to them sometimes 16 yrs ago or so...preferred WDST...and KOJ...

wpdh is hugely popular here in the hudson vally.  pretty much everyone has their radios tuned to it.  wdst is also more popular now.  both great stations.  wrrd plays the hard stuff.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #24 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:10pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:57pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:11am:
I'm pretty sure your in the minority on this one Gazza. I would love to see a tour. As you said the O2 show was good. I see no reason why they wouldn't play well on a whole tour. As far as being a joke. No more than the Stones have been at times on recent tours. Besides they are musicians,that's what they do. Play music. They might as well play it together.

If the Stones had split up in 1980, stated that they'd never work together again and then reunited almost 30 years later playing nothing but material from the 60s and 70's, I'd feel EXACTLY the same way.

For a guy who's only a casual Zep fan. I don't quite understand why you are so dead set against this. Any chance we might just give them the benefit of the doubt before we throw them under the bus,then back up and run over them again.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)