Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just how "perfect" is Paint it Black? (Read 1,434 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Just how "perfect" is Paint it Black?
Sep 25th, 2008 at 5:23am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I thought this was pretty good.
A layman's comparison of today's production techniques versus yesterday's, using PIB as an example.

http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/2008/09/25/Opin...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Blackwater, Hampshire
Re: Just how "perfect" is Paint it Black?
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 7:15am
It's about the most perfect mid-60's release by any group or artist. A truely wonderful track, full of exotic sounds.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:41am
Well, I agree with the references to sound and production........but this 24 year old doesn't know much about the song! The opening riff is guitar, no? And the guitar that comes in DOES happen to include Brian Jones' incredible sitar work. Nary a word about a sitar in the entire article. Huh Huh Huh

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 1:44pm
Pretty damned perfect.
 Wink

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:07pm
In all Aftermath has been underrated and PIB has stood the test of time as innovative punchy and rock at its finest.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 4:14pm
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:07pm:
In all Aftermath has been underrated and PIB has stood the test of time as innovative punchy and rock at its finest.

Perfect....???? Yeah....the problem with hanging out at a Stones board is that you run out of hyperboles after awhile.

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 4:16pm
It sounds better every time I listen to it.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:47am
Paint It Black puts the P in Perfect, "Tiny Drums"  piss off, the kid does not hear what I hear,
and I hear one of the strongest beats in Rock-n-Roll really?

charlie_001.jpg (14 KB | )
charlie_001.jpg

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:01am
Paint It Black certainly deserves it's just do. It was quite innovative and creative while still remaining somehow single friendly. It is also commonly seen as sort of one of the firsts for a "dark" kind of song. However, I was never totally ga-ga about it. I certainly like it but that is as far as it goes. I appreciate the influence and innovation of it more over than the song itself. A real good tune sure but I was never nutty over it as so many are. All the young kids think of that song when discussing The Stones but there are so many others in my opinion that I think are better. That is just one song in so very many that I think of such quality by The Stones yet so many (especially the young kids) really give this one all the credit. I never understood it entirely. Not because I think Paint It Black is not a classic...but because there are many, many other Stones classics they fail to mention. For example I mentioned "Jumpin Jack Flash", "Brown Sugar", and "Honky Tonk Woman" to a younger person last week and he said he didn't know those songs??? Yet he knew "Paint It Black" and remarked it was a good song. That is my point.

Ian
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:46am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 5:36am
Sioux wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:41am:
The opening riff is guitar, no? And the guitar that comes in DOES happen to include Brian Jones' incredible sitar work. Nary a word about a sitar in the entire article. Huh Huh Huh

It most certainly is a guitar, but the sitar isn't mentioned probably because it isn't prominent in the mix, and it only plays the verse melody.  Brian's sitar is a nice addition, but the playing is far from incredible, it's a simple melody played simply. 

Also, about this thread:

http://www.createforum.com/likearollinston/viewtopic.php?mforum=likearollinston&...

It's the law that the melody and lyric legally defines a song, Roland is mistaking arranging with song writing!   The vocal melody and lyric of Ruby Tuesday is the song, everything else is part of the arrangement/recording. 

Brian and Bill etc got payment for being part of the arrangements on stones albums, even if they didn't get actual song writing credits.  You could have 17 different arrangements of the same song(main melody and lyrics), all with completely different backing, instruments and counter melodies etc, but the song writing credit legally can be the same.   

Some bands share song writing credit for arrangement contributions, but you don't have to, if you are the melody/lyric writer you are legally entitled to claim the song as your own.  There are people who make a living arranging(writing accompaniment) other peoples music/songs, they don't have any right to claim song writing credits for the music they arrange.

Yes, it is ridiculous that Mick gets a credit for Ruby Tuesday, same as it's ridiculous that Keith gets a credit for Jigsaw Puzzle, but that's the agreement Mick and Keith had regarding the song writing situation, same as Lennon and McCartney.   Fore sure the others influenced the basic melody and even lyrics of various L/M - J/R's songs, but they essentially called the shots. Yeah it's a crappy situation, but that's just how it was.

Music publishing is a messy business!!!

Mick etc did influence what Brian played and vice versa, you can clearly hear Mick suggesting things to Brian, Nicky etc in the satanic sessions box sets.  Just because someone plays something, doesn't mean they completely wrote the part they are playing.

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:14am by Philip »  

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 6:53am
i think there's more 'perfect' Stones songs, i.e. Honky Tonk Women; seamless production really smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:54am
Philip wrote on Sep 27th, 2008 at 5:36am:
Sioux wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:41am:
The opening riff is guitar, no? And the guitar that comes in DOES happen to include Brian Jones' incredible sitar work. Nary a word about a sitar in the entire article. Huh Huh Huh

It most certainly is a guitar, but the sitar isn't mentioned probably because it isn't prominent in the mix, and it only plays the verse melody.  Brian's sitar is a nice addition, but the playing is far from incredible, it's a simple melody played simply.  

Also, about this thread:

http://www.createforum.com/likearollinston/viewtopic.php?mforum=likearollinston&...

It's the law that the melody and lyric legally defines a song, Roland is mistaking arranging with song writing!   The vocal melody and lyric of Ruby Tuesday is the song, everything else is part of the arrangement/recording.  

Brian and Bill etc got payment for being part of the arrangements on stones albums, even if they didn't get actual song writing credits.  You could have 17 different arrangements of the same song(main melody and lyrics), all with completely different backing, instruments and counter melodies etc, but the song writing credit legally can be the same.  

Some bands share song writing credit for arrangement contributions, but you don't have to, if you are the melody/lyric writer you are legally entitled to claim the song as your own.  There are people who make a living arranging(writing accompaniment) other peoples music/songs, they don't have any right to claim song writing credits for the music they arrange.

Yes, it is ridiculous that Mick gets a credit for Ruby Tuesday, same as it's ridiculous that Keith gets a credit for Jigsaw Puzzle, but that's the agreement Mick and Keith had regarding the song writing situation, same as Lennon and McCartney.   Fore sure the others influenced the basic melody and even lyrics of various L/M - J/R's songs, but they essentially called the shots. Yeah it's a crappy situation, but that's just how it was.

Music publishing is a messy business!!!

Mick etc did influence what Brian played and vice versa, you can clearly hear Mick suggesting things to Brian, Nicky etc in the satanic sessions box sets.  Just because someone plays something, doesn't mean they completely wrote the part they are playing.

Thanks Philip, I do understand what you are saying. And I understand the whole Lennon/Macca thing too. And it does apply to Jagger/Richards. But......John and Paul didn't have other major contributors to their songs to give credit to. And, I think the essence of what I was talking about is summed up in the phrase "Some bands share song writing credit for arrangement contributionc, but you don't have to....." Well, there was no way Mick or Keith were going to give anyone else songwriting credit for anything, at that time.

Also.....I do believe that Brian didn't contribute an arrangement to Ruby Tuedsay---he contributed both melody and lyrics. Mick had nothing to do with it at all. Brian should have received credit. And that's probably not the only song, either.

But thanks for the info, as I was trying to establish what did actually constitute songwriting credentials.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Philip
Rocks Off Regular

In Another Land

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:35am
The other Beatles along with George Martin contributed a whole lot to the recordings and arrangements, as well as in some cases the melodies and lyrics etc. 

There is no real proof Brian provided lyrics or the vocal melody for RT, well, does Marianne's comments about it specifically mention Brian writing lyrics or the vocal melody?

Brian's recorder line could have kick started the music being written that day, but the recorder line isn't the vocal melody.   But anyway, we know Mick had nothing to do with the song being written, so at the very least it should be credited as Written by Keith Richard, arranged by The Rolling Stones.

Also, Jack Nistche played the main piano on the track, not Brian, but there are likely two piano's during the chorus's, so the other is probably Brian if Bill's book is correct.  Same with LSTNT, Keith does play piano and is quite proud of that fact, but it's never really mentioned that Jack is playing piano too.

The jagger - richard credits are there and firmly in place, proving that a particular song wasn't all of their own work needs real solid proof.

But, it all comes down to who wrote the main melody and lyrics, if Brian did indeed contribute to that, then he should have made sure he received a writing credit at the time. A hard thing to do for sure! There is always the possibility that he didn't contribute to either the melody or the lyrics, so that's why there isn't a jones credit on the song.

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:26pm
It's currently their most well known song, thanks to Guitar Hero the song did sell more than any other of their songs.

IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:23pm
:necrophillicpost

It´s one of my favs
I cannot get tired of it

It seems it was a few years ago when it was recorded
every time I hear it sounds very fresh to me

but I always prefer the studio version
I don´t like the live version I Think is one of their worst performances
in every show

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:27pm
Soldatti wrote on Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:26pm:
It's currently their most well known song, thanks to Guitar Hero the song did sell more than any other of their songs.

You got it You rock!, you hit the nail right square on the HEAD! I Had Forgotten that until you mentioned it really?. Did the Stones have to Sign off on that. What a great deal if they did. The Kids Know the Song because of the fking Game Cool. Blank Frigging Stare

stoneslogo.gif (22 KB | )
stoneslogo.gif

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:37pm
One of my three favorite Stones songs along with Gimme Shelter and Bitch.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)