Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Obama : Stones or Beatles Guy ? (Read 2,271 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Obama : Stones or Beatles Guy ?
Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:01am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Reluctant as I am to start a thread that has anything to do with politics, at least this one is related to the subject of this board ....

Obama: Stones or Beatles Guy?

By Roger Catlin on September 25, 2008 10:32 PM |

One question Jim Lehrer won't have to ask Barack Obama when they meet for the first debate Friday in Mississippi:

Beatles or Stones?

It's a question that helps define a personality for rock fans. The edgy bad boy appeal of the Stones or the comparatively angelic melodicism of Beatles? The engine of a band that will not die or the heartbeat of a band that gave and gave and called it a day? A band with more blues in its DNA or one with more pop standards in its repertoire?

I'm old enough so that the question in my neighborhood was more along the lines of: Elvis or Beatles? There, the deliniation was more clear cut and a factor of generations measured only by a couple years. Enough to divide brothers only a couple of years apart. It was the king of rock 'n' roll vs. these British guys in their girly hair. You'd have to hide your Beatles cards from the big brothers or they'd end up literally on their dart board.

But back to Beatles/Stones: There was never a division among the band members in real life. One wasn't measurably more bad boy than the others. Each had their share of drugs, divorce, controversy in the press and even death. But those molding images for each band played up the contrasts to create a faux competition to goose the allegience on each side. And kids allied themselves accordingly.

Anyway, the question arose today on what would seem to be a vital day in American politics, but was actually a lull compared to the one before (John McCain had suspended his campaign, though you couldn't tell from the TV appearances he was putting in. He was on Katie Couric both Wednesday and Thursday).

Obama was in his Senate office ready to go over to the White House for their big photo op confab - worth suspending a campaign over, we're not so sure. A Congressional Quarterly reporter stationed outside his office (who was apparently not curious about the progress of the bailout bill or any of the meetings) popped the now classic question:

Beatles or Stones?

"Stones," Obama said, according to a report from the pool of reporters following the candidate.

So there you have it.

Detailed analysis and a special report to follow.

www.courant.com

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Re: Obama : Stones or Beatles Guy ?
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:22am
a Stones fan and a West Ham fan.... i'm beginning to warm to the guy.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:25am
..and with Bruce & Bob on his i-pod to boot.

Whats this about him being a 'hammer', Ade? Does that haircut make him look like one of the I.C.F. ?  really?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:50am
" a Stones fan and a West Ham fan.... i'm beginning to warm to the guy "

I would like to caress your kneecaps .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:53am
Gazza wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:25am:
..and with Bruce & Bob on his i-pod to boot.

Whats this about him being a 'hammer', Ade? Does that haircut make him look like one of the I.C.F. ?  really?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2290253/Up-the-Irons---Barack-Obama-is...

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:54am

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:05am
"Mr Obama is not the first world figure to nail their colours to the mast by revealing where his football loyalties lie.

First there was Osama bin Laden's association with Arsenal, which led to the north Londoners reportedly banning the terrorist from attending any future games."

LOL. Football hooliganism isnt what it used to be. We can all sleep soundly now, knowing that the only part of the UK he has no chance of terrorising will be the Emirates Stadium.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:14am
coming soon - video footage of Osama,  in a Spurs shirt

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:16am
riffy ? does this calm your fears?

more importanly, will you be premiering medicated haze's "superstar" on your show this fryday eve? let me know and i will adjust my schedule accordingly.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 3:49pm
Only reason is Stones have more Blackness is why... Blank Frigging Stare

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:00pm
I'm finally downloading the "Superstar" file Feej sent me. I'm going to give it a listen in the next 10 minutes or so.

I feel bad--he sent it on like, 8/26. Things have been crazy up in heah.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:03pm
I would have bet Earth, Wind, and Fire, with a side of Santana thrown on when he's feeling frisky.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:28pm
I reported Barack's answer to this question from a different interview in an earlier thread.  Barack also lists "Gimme Shelter" at #4 in his favorite songs list.  McCain, while he did not list any Stones songs, did mention a couple of ABBA tunes on his list.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:40pm
Oh sure he says he likes the Stones to these people, but get him alone with his far left elitist fucktard friends and I'm sure it's a different story. Something along the lines of, "They're bitter people clinging to their religion, guns, and Stones."

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:43pm
You're feeling your party's grip on power slipping away, aren't you, riffy?  Rove promised you a permanent Republican majority, but those damned voters are going to ruin it for you.  Why do you hate democracy?

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:50pm
Brainbell Jangler wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:43pm:
You're feeling your party's grip on power slipping away, aren't you, riffy?  Rove promised you a permanent Republican majority, but those damned voters are going to ruin it for you.  Why do you hate democracy?  

LOL! Hardly BJ. I don't think that McCain is going to win. I know McCain is going to win! I also know that the Pelosi/Reid congress is the most pathetic congress in the history of this country. So I think it's a safe bet that the Dems aren't sitting nearly as pretty as they think they are. Never has a congress had a lower approval rating.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:02pm
They asked Sara Pallin the same question. Except her choices were The Carpenters or The Monkees Ouch!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:53am
Cool, Cool You rock! he likes the Stones! Who in Their Right Mind Doesn't Blank Frigging Stare Ouch! Boring post :funny you made a grown man cry
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:54am by Kilroy »  

001_tn.jpg (2 KB | )
001_tn.jpg

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 7:38am
"It ain't enough for me..."

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 8:39am
Good for Obama....but does that qualify him to be president? Maybe not but it certainly helps.

(According to my irrefutable scoring system Obama won the debate last night  9 - 3.)

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Riffhard wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:40pm:
Oh sure he says he likes the Stones to these people, but get him alone with his far left elitist fucktard friends and I'm sure it's a different story. Something along the lines of, "They're bitter people clinging to their religion, guns, and Stones."

Riffy

That's cute. I wonder which house McCain's planning on staying in tonight?...  :hilarious

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #21 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 7:18pm
kool and the gang. gap band, al green
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 7:25pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)