Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Best show you ever saw.... (Read 10,465 times)
gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Best show you ever saw....
Reply #50 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 8:17am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Throwaway wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:07pm:
mojoman wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:21pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 8:35pm:
Muddy Waters (81)
The Who (last show in Toronto with Moon)
Dead/Band/Allmans (Watkins Glen)
Faces (1973)
Barbarians lol  (Oshawa both shows)
Humble Pie (Detroit)..(?)..lol

I want to nuzzle you

Yeah, I'm jealous too.

Guys age has its advantages I suppose. When I was in teens I lived almost equal distance from Toronto/Buffalo/Detroit and I lived in Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario that had 2 universities. Hell we had Spirit and Cactus to open our school year in 73!.Any band that toured came through that way and I saw as many as I could.Shit I forgot Janis on the Peace Train! Saw Zep too (but this thread is about good shows...lol).Johhny Winter used to sell out old Maple Leaf Gardens and blow the crowd away.That reminds me of a tremendous Gardens show with Sly Stone and his Family at their peak..what a blast!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #51 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:11am
" ... Saw Zep too (but this thread is about good shows...lol).Johhny Winter used to sell out old Maple Leaf Gardens and blow the crowd away.That reminds me of a tremendous Gardens show with Sly Stone and his Family at their peak..what a blast!  "

gimmekeef ...................

I highly , HIGHLY recommend seeing Neil Young this fall .

HIGHLY .

That's right ........

....ol' Shakey is in the form of his life this tour .

I remain   ..........  forever  .......  your kins .

J'Lo

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #52 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:32am
Joey wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:11am:
" ... Saw Zep too (but this thread is about good shows...lol).Johhny Winter used to sell out old Maple Leaf Gardens and blow the crowd away.That reminds me of a tremendous Gardens show with Sly Stone and his Family at their peak..what a blast!  "

gimmekeef ...................

I highly , HIGHLY recommend seeing Neil Young this fall .

HIGHLY .

That's right ........

....ol' Shakey is in the form of his life this tour .

I remain   ..........  forever  .......  your kins .

J'Lo

Kins..if Shakey would get his ass below the Mason-Dixon line I'd be all in.May have to road trip this one!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #53 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 10:49am
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 8:17am:
Throwaway wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:07pm:
mojoman wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:21pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 8:35pm:
Muddy Waters (81)
The Who (last show in Toronto with Moon)
Dead/Band/Allmans (Watkins Glen)
Faces (1973)
Barbarians lol  (Oshawa both shows)
Humble Pie (Detroit)..(?)..lol

I want to nuzzle you

Yeah, I'm jealous too.

Guys age has its advantages I suppose. When I was in teens I lived almost equal distance from Toronto/Buffalo/Detroit and I lived in Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario that had 2 universities. Hell we had Spirit and Cactus to open our school year in 73!.Any band that toured came through that way and I saw as many as I could.Shit I forgot Janis on the Peace Train! Saw Zep too (but this thread is about good shows...lol).Johhny Winter used to sell out old Maple Leaf Gardens and blow the crowd away.That reminds me of a tremendous Gardens show with Sly Stone and his Family at their peak..what a blast!

i want to caress your kneecaps

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #54 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 1:19pm
Ok.
Too many shows to list only one, so, here goes...
In date order...

Stones-Bahston Garden 7/19/72
Aerosmith-April '74-Franklin, MA Field House (my High School!)
Faces-Feb '75-Providence Civic Center
WHO-12/13/75-Providence Civic Center
J Geils Band Aug '76-Cape Cod Coliseum
Lynyrd Skynyrd-Aug '77-Cape Cod Coliseum
Johnny Winter/Foghat-Oct '77 Music Hall-Bahston
Stones-7/4/78-Rich Stadium, Buffalo
Muddy Waters- March '79 Paradise Theater-Bahston
George Thorogood-Oct '79-Bradford Hotel, Bahston
Keith Richards & Winos-Dec '88-Orpheum Theatre, Boston
Peter Wolf-New Year's Eve '04 Hard Rock-Bahston
Bruce Springsteen-May '06-Asbury Convention Center, NJ
Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band-11/19/07-Banknorth Garden, Bahston

Many more, however, these all get the Wicked Pissah title!

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #55 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 1:23pm
" WHO-12/13/75-Providence Civic Center "

Moonie . Wow !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #56 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 4:58pm
Fleetwood Mac, Aladdin Theatre, Las Vegas, oblivion, 1978

Rolling Stones, First Union Center, Philadelphia, September, 2002.

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #57 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:02pm
I've probably forgotten half the shows I've seen, but thankfully I've still got some ticket stubs left. Hard to leave the Stones out too, but here goes:

Queen - Beacon Theatre - February 8, 1976
Bob Marley - Beacon Theatre - April 30, 1976
Patti Smith - Bottom Line - November 28, 1976
Patti Smith - The Palladium, NYC - December 31, 1976
Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Max's Kansas City - July 11, 1978
Bruce Springsteen - Capitol Theatre - September 19, 1978
New Barbarians - MSG - May 7, 1979
Prince - Nassau Coliseum - March 23, 1985
Iggy Pop - Academy Theatre - November 9, 1990
Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - The Marquee, NYC - November 30, 1990

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Jumping Jack
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Atlanta
Reply #58 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 3:36am
Who - December 75 Buffalo tied with Stones in the Aud 6/75 for best ever.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #59 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:56am
Tumbled wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 4:58pm:

Word up to that.  That show was absolutely ridiculously over the top great.  Best arena rock show I've ever seen hands down.  Never experienced a mind/body/band meld with so many people at once as that Brown Sugar at the end of that show.  Balls out.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #60 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 1:50pm
1-Alice Cooper (original band) at Winter Pop New Years Eve '71, I was right next to the stage, what a concert!! it was the first time he hung himself in the gallows, & this happened as the clock hit Midnight, he was hanging in the gallows with this incredible thunder & lighting going on, then he came back with top hat & white tails singing "We Still Got A Long Way to go"
2-The Stones on their '72 tour first show at Maple Leaf Gardens, I heard the 2nd show was even better (someone said they got more stoned & put on a better show)
3-Led Zep. on the tour when their 4th album was released.
4-Bowie at Maple leaf gardens in '76 & 78, fantastic shows, especially in '76, on the Station to Station tour, it was a stage that nobody ever seen before, total stark, with white lights, it was like something out of pre-Nazi-Germany, when Cabaret was going on.
5-Bowie at O'Keefe Center on his Diamond Dogs tour, unreal, he went over the heads of the first few rows on a Cheery picker singing "Space Oddity" he was sitting on a giant hand, that opened up while singing "Time" that was Cocaine Bowie at his best.
6-The Clash at The Rex Theatre in '79, it was a movie theatre that only holds so many people, I was right next to the stage, on Mick Jones side, Joe Strummer was sweating like crazy, but he was putting all he had into it.
There's  been some others but nothing like these concerts.

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 1:52pm by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #61 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 2:05pm
Great stub action Stone.  I caught that Station tour of Bowie's, on St. Patty's Day in Bahston.
Was a good show.  Always wanted to catch that version of '71 Coop, a crack outfit they were..

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #62 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 2:30pm
Yes the 2nd 72 Stones show in Toronto was the best of the 2 but both were still chilling in their profound greatness.I had bragged for years about how good the Stones were and went with 5 friends. They were hoping to shut me up..After the 2 shows they could hardly speak they were so in awe as to how much better they were than everyone else we'd heard to that point.Believe me we saw em all in those days too.

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #63 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 4:54pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:56am:
Tumbled wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 4:58pm:

Word up to that.  That show was absolutely ridiculously over the top great.  Best arena rock show I've ever seen hands down.  Never experienced a mind/body/band meld with so many people at once as that Brown Sugar at the end of that show.  Balls out.

It was a full moon that night, its the only way I can explain it  It was a total MELTDOWN.
where were you sitting? 
I was on the catwalk Left side,  Love in vain and hand slaps and just a great vibe and great sound in that place. now called the Mellon Arena.

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #64 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 5:38pm
Jealousy isn't my strong suit, but I gotta admit I'm green with envy at anyone who got to see The Who with Moon, or the Stones pre-1980. Or Hendrix! Lucky bastardos!
 Let's go get drunk
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 5:39pm by GotToRollMe »  

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #65 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:30pm
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 2:30pm:
Yes the 2nd 72 Stones show in Toronto was the best of the 2 but both were still chilling in their profound greatness.I had bragged for years about how good the Stones were and went with 5 friends. They were hoping to shut me up..After the 2 shows they could hardly speak they were so in awe as to how much better they were than everyone else we'd heard to that point.Believe me we saw em all in those days too.

I never seen this but I agree it was the best show, it was a total insane show as far as tickets go, I waited in line for 16 hours, if you think this was crazy some people waited in line for 2 wks., I finally got to the box office after 20 hours, I got 4 tickets to the grey seats, bought them & then & sold them to a ground floor seat that I bought of a scalper for 35$ & then the concert happened it was totally insanity, all i seen was a total rip-off, in the 80's they had video screens, but not in '72, it was a total rip-off, I never even seen The Fucking stones, all I seen was people rushing the stage, & people being so fucking insane that they couldn't enjoy a concert, all they did was fucking scream & rush the stage, so say did I enjoy The Rolling Stones in '72?, I don't fucking think so.

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #66 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:51pm
Bowie, Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, February 1976.  Superb light show using only white light and darkness, plus a great, tight performance.  Never saw anything like it again, even at Pittsburgh 2004, which was in the same ballpark.  1976 opening act: "Un chien Andalou," by Dali and Bunuel.

Rolling Stones, Rich Stadium, Orchard Park (Buffalo), NY, August 8, 1975.  A long show on the last night of the tour.  Jagger danced and danced (never saw that again, either), and the band didn't want to let the tour go yet, having lately ditched the South America leg.  The night is commemorated in an article about Annie Leibovitz in the October 2008 Vanity Fair.

Paul McCartney, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, "Wings at the Speed of Sound" tour.  Too lazy to look it up, but there wasn't a dry eye when he played Yesterday for the first time since.  The rest was of equal quality.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:54pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #67 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:18pm
andrews27 wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:51pm:
Bowie, Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, February 1976.  Superb light show using only white light and darkness, plus a great, tight performance.  Never saw anything like it again, even at Pittsburgh 2004, which was in the same ballpark.  1976 opening act: "Un chien Andalou," by Dali and Bunuel.

Rolling Stones, Rich Stadium, Orchard Park (Buffalo), NY, August 8, 1975.  A long show on the last night of the tour.  Jagger danced and danced (never saw that again, either), and the band didn't want to let the tour go yet, having lately ditched the South America leg.  The night is commemorated in an article about Annie Leibovitz in the October 2008 Vanity Fair.

Paul McCartney, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, "Wings at the Speed of Sound" tour.  Too lazy to look it up, but there wasn't a dry eye when he played Yesterday for the first time since.  The rest was of equal quality.

you've been at a fantastic concert by all means, Paul is just out of this world for any world!!! including the greatest theatrical person Bowie!!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:21pm by Heart Of Stone »  

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #68 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:24pm
Besides the Stones or Springsteen...

We'll shine like stars in the summer night
We'll shine like stars in the winter light
One heart, One hope, One love
With or without you.

U2 1987 tour.  A band in its prime doing a stadium tour.  No big production.  No big light show.  No fireworks.  Just rock and roll in a huge venue.  Incredible.  It still brings chills to me.  I did not have to see anything.  My ears saw it all.  All the way through from Where the Streets Have no Name (Greatest opener ever) to 40 (greatest closer ever).

Close second would be Tom Waits this year.  I loved that show and still listen to it (thanks GTRM you are the best)!!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:32pm by robpop »  

...&&&&...

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #69 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 9:06pm
I was not there but I'll post it again.  Stunning, great sound.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92916923

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Reply #70 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:05pm
[quote author=andrews27 link=1221577891/50#67 date=1221871893]Bowie, Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, February 1976.  Superb light show using only white light and darkness, plus a great, tight performance.  Never saw anything like it again, even at Pittsburgh 2004, which was in the same ballpark.  1976 opening act: "Un chien Andalou," by Dali and Bunuel.
I remember that opening screen by Dali, A slash across the eye that was so disturburing, like some one had slashd a eye ball with a razor blade, it was disturbiring, & it still haunts me to this very day, it was cruel!!! but Bowie! was so into this cinemant art, that he was creativate, & there's nobody that could tell him different, that was the old days, now bowie is a straight person, he's no longer interested in being a artistic person, now! his only life is being a family man, which I can understand!!! let's give life to David Bowie R.I.PDavid bowie.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:24pm by Heart Of Stone »  

WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #71 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:49pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:30pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 2:30pm:

I never seen this but I agree it was the best show, it was a total insane show as far as tickets go, I waited in line for 16 hours, if you think this was crazy some people waited in line for 2 wks., I finally got to the box office after 20 hours, I got 4 tickets to the grey seats, bought them & then & sold them to a ground floor seat that I bought of a scalper for 35$ & then the concert happened it was totally insanity, all i seen was a total rip-off, in the 80's they had video screens, but not in '72, it was a total rip-off, I never even seen The Fucking stones, all I seen was people rushing the stage, & people being so fucking insane that they couldn't enjoy a concert, all they did was fucking scream & rush the stage, so say did I enjoy The Rolling Stones in '72?, I don't fucking think so.

Man you should have followed me to the stage!..............

IP Logged

Jumping Jack
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Atlanta
Reply #72 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:08am
Buffalo and Toronto were RNR meccas back in the day!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #73 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:46am
Jumping Jack wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:08am:
Buffalo and Toronto were RNR meccas back in the day!

The Gardens and the Aud sure had their share of great shows.Buffalo 75 Stones and the Toronto shows were so hot inside without air the walls were dripping wet. Three shows in four nights!..Then off to Detroit!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #74 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 10:04am
The Who - Sun Devil Stadium 1982 - absolutely perfect time and place.

Neil Young - Vegas 1992

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)