Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Neil Young Fall NA Tour Dates (Read 5,841 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Neil Young Fall NA Tour Dates
Reply #75 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:04pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
He came dancing across the water. What a killer...show last night in Reno. First the aesthetics. Reno may be a cow town,but they have a nice, fairly new arena.About 3 years old. Small,less than 10,000. A few seats on the side and a big open floor. Good sound, PS was right on about the start time. Neil hit the stage at almost exactly 9:15. Played it safe and walked in about 8:30. Caught the last few songs from Death Cab For Cutie,or as I like to call them.Coldplay lite. I give them kudos for picking their name from an obscure song by an obscure band. But that's about it. Onto Neil. I don't know if it's because I haven't seen him in many years or the fact he cancelled the LA show or maybe it's just the way he always is. But he came out with an incredible fierce intensity in playing and performing. Immediatly commanding the stage. Setlist basicly the same. He ripped through Love and Only Love/Hey,hey My,My/Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere before settling in a bit and playing Powderfinger. A song I have loved ever since the first time I heard it on Rust Never Sleeps. I did get Cortez. Although I don't know if my expectations were too high or what.But it was just ok,not great. Cinnamon Girl is always fun.The acoustic set was nice. Needle and the Damage Done another long time classic I loved hearing, along with Heart Of Gold and Old Man. Then came some of the unfamiliar material. Then he launched into Cowgirl in the Sand. Another classic and this one was a roof raiser. It's a cliche,but this one was worth the price of admission and actually topped CTK. While he was jamming on it,I thought about the liner notes from Decade where I believe he said he wrote this one day sick with a 103 tempature. Maybe he should get sick more often.LOL...He kept it going,closing with a fierce Rocking in the Free World. The encore of A Day in the Life was interesting,mainly because I have never heard anybody play this live and it was nice to hear. Neil playing it pretty straight forward until the end when he went all Jimi Hendrix/Pete Townsend. He didn't quite destroy his guitar,but ripped the strings off. Then walked up to the vibraphone and ended the show with one simple note. Classic. It took 3 tries and about 10 years and a 4 hour drive,but I finally got the Neil show I have always wanted to hear...Yes indeed,'ol shakey is in the form of his life.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:10pm by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #76 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:05pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:04pm:
He came dancing across the water. What a killer...show last night in Reno. First the aesthetics. Reno may be a cow town,but they have a nice, fairly new arena.About 3 years old. Small,less than 10,000. A few seats on the side and a big open floor. Good sound, PS was right on about the start time. Neil hit the stage at almost exactly 9:15. Played it safe and walked in about 8:30. Caught the last few songs from Death Cab For Cutie,or as I like to call them.Coldplay lite. I give them kudos for picking their name from an obscure song by an obscure band. But that's about it. Onto Neil. I don't know if it's because I haven't seen him in many years or the fact he cancelled the LA show or maybe it's just the way he always is. But he came out with an incredible fierce intensity in playing and performing. Immediatly commanding the stage. Setlist basicly the same. He ripped through Love and Only Love/Hey,hey My,My/Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere before settling in a bit and playing Powderfinger. A song I have loved ever since the first time I heard it on Rust Never Sleeps. I did get Cortez. Although I don't know if my expectations were too high or what.But it was just ok,not great. Cinnamon Girl is always fun.The acoustic set was nice. Needle and the Damage Done another long time classic I loved hearing, along with Heart Of Gold and Old Man. Then came some of the unfamiliar material. Then he launched into Cowgirl in the Sand. Another classic and this one was a roof raiser. It's a cliche,but this one was worth the price of admission and actually topped CTK. While he was jamming on it,I thought about the liner notes from Decade where I believe he said he wrote this one day sick with a 103 tempature. Maybe he should get sick more often.LOL...He kept it going,closing with a fierce Rocking in the Free World. The encore of A Day in the Life was interesting,mainly because I have never heard anybody play this live and it was nice to hear. Neil playing it pretty straight forward until the end when he went all Jimi Hendriz/Pete Townsend. He didn't quite destroy his guitar,but ripped the strings off. Then walked up to the vibraphone and ended the show with one simple note. Classic. It took 3 tries and about 10 years and a 4 hour drive,but I finally got the Neil show I have always wanted to hear...Yes indeed,'ol shakey is in the form of his life.

awesome review bro for a great friggin show!!! glad you finally got what you needed. in 2000 after neil toured with CSNY(jammed) he did a summer tour(friends&family) with alot of tunes he hadnt done in awhile similar to 07/08. cowgirl(10 minutes plus etc). the only date i saw him play was the bridge which wasn't electric!!! so for seven years i waited to see the show i thought i would never get to see. finally i got it last december.

smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re:HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Reply #77 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 8:07am
to Neil. Rock On!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Re:HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Reply #78 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 8:59am
" ....    to Neil. Rock On !!!! "

ol shakey is in the form of his life THIS tour .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #79 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 9:06am
happy birthday, Shakey

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #80 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 6:55pm

Happy birthday, Neil.
May you stay forever Young.

On a less positive note, from today's Lefsetz Letter:

Heart Of Gold?

Neil Young is a scumbag.

That's what my buddy said at dinner last night.  He loved Neil Young, but no longer.  Because Neil blamed the union for cancellation of his gig, when the true story is he just couldn't sell enough tickets!  6,000 at the Forum.  Is this any surprise?  For a guy who's overcharged for far too long, implying he's going to play the classics and not?

That's what the last tour supposedly was.  The Neil Young of old.  But most people didn't see it that way.  So now they're protesting.

You'd be stunned how many people are protesting.  People swooned upon hearing how great Van Morrison was at the Bowl.  But they said there was no way they were going to take a risk at those prices, which were exorbitant.  I think we've now hit the ceiling.

With even the Wall Street guys unable to pay the ridiculous prices for great seats, the business is learning a big lesson.  It is not recession-proof.  As for the bands who've toured the same markets, year after year, with no new hit material?  How many times do you need to see the Stones?  They don't sell out anymore.  And at least they're not out every year.  These shows work on the level of nostalgia.  But even class reunions only take place every five years.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #81 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 9:17pm

"  I think we've now hit the ceiling.

With even the Wall Street guys unable to pay the ridiculous prices for great seats, the business is learning a big lesson.  It is not recession-proof.  "

My Sweet Arse !!!!!

The Eagles sold out The Qwest Center Saturday Evening  -- 16,375 Strong !

Nice .

" Those Tickets were not Cheap  , .. Ronnie ! "

J 'kins ! ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #82 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 9:38pm
Well the Reno arena was pretty small. About 8,9 Thousand. But it seemed close to sold out if not totally sold out to me....And I was one of those who were deeply sceptical about getting burned by Neil charging high prices and doing a set full of obscurities. But since the GA's were only about $90 after ticketbastard charges and thanks to the internet,you can find out what an act is playing these days. I saw a set full of Neil classics,that I had always wanted to hear. The result was the best non-Bruce show I've been to all year.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2008 at 9:42pm by sweetcharmedlife »  

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #83 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:40am
" ..  The result was the best non-Bruce show I've been to all year . "

Heck , it sure sounds like Shakey is in the form of his life on this tour .

Baby 'kins !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)