Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'68 Elvis comeback remembered (Read 702 times)
MaineMotels
Ex Member

'68 Elvis comeback remembered
Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:53pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
'68 Elvis comeback remembered on death anniversary
The Associated Press
Published: August 14, 2008

NASHVILLE, Tennessee: When Elvis Presley made his TV special in 1968, he was coming off a string of forgettable films and a long dry spell on the charts, and the rock 'n' roll music he'd helped pioneer had given way to the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix.

It was a tough time for a comeback, but Presley, looking fit and tan in black leather, pulled it off with one of his best performances ever.

"You can argue that it was the highlight of his career. He had been treading water for eight or 10 years," said Alan Stoker, a historian at the Country Music Hall of Fame, where Presley has been a member since 1998.

The 40th anniversary of what's known among Elvis aficionados as "The '68 Special" is getting attention as fans gather in Memphis this week to mark the anniversary of the singer's death from heart disease and drug abuse on Aug. 16, 1977.

Presley's Graceland mansion has opened an exhibit dedicated to the program, RCA has released a boxed set of all the music, and Steve Binder, the TV show's producer and director, has published a book, "'68 at 40: Retrospective."

"He said he was fearful of doing television, because aside from the 'Ed Sullivan' exposure, television had been a fiasco for him," Binder said in an interview. "He said, 'Television is not my turf. I'm not comfortable in a television studio.' I said, 'Why don't you make a record and I'll put pictures to it.'"

And that's pretty much what they did for the hourlong show, which aired Dec. 3, 1968, on NBC.

The original idea, the one Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker, had in mind, was a Christmas special with Presley singing holiday favorites.

But Binder wanted Presley doing his own songs and doing them alone instead of with guest stars — a departure from Christmas specials of the day.

The real breakthrough, though, was offsetting the big-production numbers with a loose, in-the-round performance — raw and unscripted — before a small audience.

"We'd start shooting at 9 or 10 in the morning and go until we were done, then he'd go into his living quarters and invite friends and they'd jam to all hours of the morning," Binder recalled. "I was amazed by all the energy, enthusiasm and fun going on after a hard day's work. And it was like looking through a keyhole at things you were not supposed to see. I thought, 'This is better than what's going on on-stage with the pre-planned numbers.'"

Parker hated the idea, but Binder persisted until Parker allowed him to recreate the backstage jam session for the camera, bringing in Presley's longtime guitarist Scotty Moore and drummer D.J. Fontana and other friends to help make him comfortable (it had been seven years since Presley last did a live concert).

"There was no plan at all. I mean absolutely nothing," Moore recalled. "He didn't know what he was going to do. I knew he was going to pull out some of the old songs we'd done, that kind of thing. But that was it."

Only part of the improvisational footage appeared in the TV special (RCA released a full uncut version later), but it was the highlight. At 33, Presley was handsome and in fine form, telling stories and joking with the musicians.

At first, he seemed nervous. "This is supposed to be like an informal section of the show where we faint or do whatever we want to do, especially me," he cracked before his first number, "That's All Right."

But by "Blue Suede Shoes" he was in control, swapping his acoustic guitar for Moore's electric and stomping his feet through bluesman Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me to Do."

Moore said Presley knew what was at stake.

"Because he hadn't been touring — he had gotten into the movie thing — I know his feeling was 'I'm getting back before the public this way,'" he said.

The show started a golden era for Presley that included his hits "Suspicious Minds," "In the Ghetto" and "Kentucky Rain," as well as a run of successful Las Vegas concerts and a January 1973 TV special, "Aloha From Hawaii," his last big artistic statement.

By the mid-'70s Presley had become a caricature of himself. But that night in '68, he was a young man fighting to re-establish himself.

"I think it was the honesty," Binder said of the show's success, "the fact that he wasn't controlled, wasn't reading prepared lines. It was raw and it was powerful, and I think it was who he really was."

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:55pm by Ten Thousand Motels »  

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Re: '68 Elvis comeback remembered
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:01pm
To some, Elvis Presley is a religion unto himself

Fri, 08/15/2008 -
By CHRISTOPHER BLANK,
Scripps Howard News Service

As it does with the death of a Jedi, the Force only grew stronger with Elvis Presley after his untimely passing on Aug. 15, 1977.

Thirty-one years after his death, he's now virtually omnipresent, like Santa, and with just as much ground to cover. Elvis' ghost has been spotted on the steps of Graceland and in the streets of Las Vegas. Movies such as "Mystery Train" and "True Romance" reference the supernatural phenomenon that Elvis has become. A perennial tabloid presence, he appears in unlikely places, sometimes lost and bewildered, sometimes doling out advice.

To some, Elvis is a religion unto himself. Gregory L. Reece, author of "Elvis Religion: The Cult of the King," came up with his topic after meeting a fan who'd moved to Memphis, Tenn., to be closer to the King.

The singer's own fascination with world religions and death's mysteries entices pop scholars and psychics alike. In her autobiography, Priscilla Presley complained about all the mystical books from his hairdresser Elvis would pile on the bed, which resulted in far too many deep talks. It was the closest she ever came to life in a college dormitory. What was Elvis searching for?

I have no idea.

But last Aug. 15, while attending the vigil commemorating the 30th anniversary of Elvis' death, I had a vision on the street outside Graceland's gates.

It happened while walking among the impromptu tributes that fans were huddled around -- photos, paintings, trinkets, relics, all illuminated by burning candles.

The vision, a literal one, was a group of young people in lawn chairs who had erected what could be called a shrine. It was a white bust of Elvis wearing plastic leis. A single flame flickered under its chin. People had left knickknacks at the base of it. The creators offered me some booze.

"You're just here for the party, aren't you?" I asked.

"Well, yes," the guy admitted, sotto voce.

"I like your shrine," I said.

"Yeah, and it's growing."

Tommy Foster is possibly Memphis' foremost expert on homemade Elvis shrines. Years ago, he built one at a coffee shop. Put a quarter in the slot and it lights up and plays music. Foster called it the "Church of Elvis Impersonator," and he even officiated weddings in front of it.

Foster now works for the Center for Southern Folklore and builds blues shrines professionally.

"I was just goofing around when I started building it," he said. "I was thinking of how to get tourists to come to the area. It was a 'If you build it, they will come' sort of deal."

He stuffed his cabinet-sized shrine with Elvis artifacts: blue suede shoes, a silver pistol, toy cars and a folk-art likeness of a jumpsuit-clad Elvis wearing sunglasses and sporting sideburns.

It collected about $200 a month in quarters. Elvis Presley Enterprises tried to sue Foster three times.

"I was breaking all the rules," he said. "I respect Graceland's need to protect the copyright, but it was more of an artistic statement."

Two weeks ago, I asked Memphis artist Dwayne Butcher to consider creating an Elvis shrine that would highlight the artistic aspects of a memorial. Butcher was the right guy for the job; his second date with the girl he'd later marry was to a Graceland candlelight vigil.

He called a few friends, also artists, to help come up with a concept.

Their first brainstorm was to have a mobile puppet theater that would depict scenes from Elvis' life: karate lessons with Red West, Robert Goulet getting shot out of a television, etc. But there was some disagreement as to which person would have to perform the show.

By the end of the evening, they agreed to put their individual skills to work on a more shrinelike creation. There would be a collage of Elvis pictures, a bust of the King, and possibly something that used the dripping of paint -- Butcher's trademark. The result will debut soon on GoMemphis.com.

Meanwhile, I began work on my own shrine.

I'd hoped to create something that expressed the view Memphians have toward their hometown hero, so I started by asking a number of locals what their personal Elvis shrines would look like.

But some don't share the reverential attitude toward the icon that true fans do. When they missed the distinction between shrine and satire, they were asked simply to free-associate to the word "Elvis." The list was familiar: karate, blue suede shoes, gold records, jumpsuits, pink Cadillacs.

I visited local thrift stores in search of appropriate relics, with little success.

And then, one night, I found a battered guitar case on the side of the road.

It was the ideal starting point for my shrine. And, encircled by candles, it will represent my own evolving homage to the King.

(Christopher Blank is a reporter for The Commercial Appeal in Memphis, Tenn. E-mail him at blank(at)thecommercialappeal.com.)

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:13pm
MM is it me or are you trying to bump down the reality of the self destruction of ROnnie Wood with these new threads?

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:38pm
The '68 Special is brilliant. Elvis looks like a caged tiger, ready to pounce at any given second which, on occasion, he does. Listen to him tear into "Trying to Get to You" or "One Night" or "Baby, What You Want Me to Do." Watch him stalk and prowl and wail during the stand-up segments. Dig that karate sequence during "Big Boss Man"! This was El's true renaissance, beginning back in '66 with the gospel album and finally culminating in the Memphis sessions at the end of the decade. I showed this performance to my girlfriend a while ago and, not even being aware of the fact that Elvis was more or less sedated through most the the Sixties, she couldn't help but point out that Presley was performing like a god. I told her, "Yeah, this was probably the first time in ten years he'd sung anything remotely like this. You're witnessing the re-birth of a deity."

I point any and all naysayers to the final, triumphant performance of "If I Can Dream." The sight of Elvis Presley damn near writhing on the floor, singing because his career depended on it... I truly have no words. Maybe his are the best:

"As long as a man has the strength to dream, he can redeem his soul and fly."

They don't make 'em like that any more.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 4:23pm
Child of the Moon wrote on Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:38pm:
The '68 Special is brilliant. Elvis looks like a caged tiger, ready to pounce at any given second which, on occasion, he does. Listen to him tear into "Trying to Get to You" or "One Night" or "Baby, What You Want Me to Do." Watch him stalk and prowl and wail during the stand-up segments. Dig that karate sequence during "Big Boss Man"! This was El's true renaissance, beginning back in '66 with the gospel album and finally culminating in the Memphis sessions at the end of the decade. I showed this performance to my girlfriend a while ago and, not even being aware of the fact that Elvis was more or less sedated through most the the Sixties, she couldn't help but point out that Presley was performing like a god. I told her, "Yeah, this was probably the first time in ten years he'd sung anything remotely like this. You're witnessing the re-birth of a deity."

I point any and all naysayers to the final, triumphant performance of "If I Can Dream." The sight of Elvis Presley damn near writhing on the floor, singing because his career depended on it... I truly have no words. Maybe his are the best:

"As long as a man has the strength to dream, he can redeem his soul and fly."

They don't make 'em like that any more.

Well said. If anyone ever disagrees with you, show them to the door real quickly.  Because you can't win a pissing match with a skunk.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 5:49pm
Well said indeed, Child of the Moon.  I remember watching it in 1968 and my heart almost flew out of my chest.  Elvis has always been able to reduce my to a puddle of love and desire.  And thanks to you, MM for keeping the Elvis threads coming.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)