Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To Gazza from Parmeda....Graceland content (Read 5,666 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: To Gazza from Parmeda....Graceland content
Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 6:24am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Fucking brilliant photos and great stories.

When I saw the dining table my first thought was "thats where Elvis was sitting when he interrupted his lunch to shoot his TV - just because he couldnt stand the sight of Robert Goulet "

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 1:11pm
$68 per person? Are they fucking nuts?!?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 2:05pm
evidently not, as there doesnt appear to be a shortage of takers....

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 4:23pm
I went in 1993 & I think it was about $15. I still will go myself; I'll just have to work a bit harder.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 4:24pm
Quote:
I went in 1993 & I think it was about $15. I still will go myself; I'll just have to work a bit harder.

Thats almost a Cohl-esque price hike!

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Now you can feel my outrage!

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #31 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 9:21pm
You two with your bickering, lmao

Maybe I should have clarified that there are different ticket passes you can purchase.  We opted for IT ALL... and I'm pretty damn glad we did!  And glenny - I think the cheapest one was $27 and you could only go into the mansion with that.  It's been a while since you've been there and they have added more displays and moved all of the autos across the street into a museum - they aren't under the car-port any longer.  The passes we purchased actually allowed us to go back through any area we wanted and not be herded with the rest of the cattle (which I simply detest!).  I rather enjoyed zipping past everyone and being allowed to make my own path.

So, go back - cough up the cash - and enjoy it at your own pace. 

Excuse me, while I need to pull some pictures up from Sun for Gazza...   Smiley

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #32 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:02pm
Ok, G...here's your fast paced, Readers Digest version tour of Sun Studio...

You hit the nail on the head - it really is a small, cramped place! Thank God there were only 16 of us on the tour at that time - any more than that would have heralded an evil parmeda, as I can't stand having people crawl up my back!  And you'll be happy to know it only set me back $10!

It's an odd-shaped building (triangular) but it is more spacious inside that what it appears from outside (not by much, though).  And yes, it has been declared a National Landmark and will be preserved until Mother Nature deems it's had its time... 

From the moment you see the windows, the venician blinds and the word SUN curved over the entrance - you can't help but think of all the legends that walked through that doorway.

You know the history and you know we have none other than Sam Phillips to thank for it.  This is truly a shrine for him!

...the dude saved EVERYTHING!  (Thank God!)

So, it came to no surprise when I spotted the damn original window blinds behind a glass case, lol

I went there on a mission.

I had seen and heard of the famous story of the "Million Dollar Quartette"...  I knew the original photo that Sam had taken of them was inside the Studio - prints have been made (I actually have had one for years) - but I needed to "see the mold" for myself.

When I finally spotted it, I swear I had nothing but tunnel vision.  The only thing that distracted me was hearing my husband's voice say, "Oh shit, she found it..."

...and it was properly perched next to the stairway going down into the studio.

I have to thank Sam for being a pack-rat all of his life and having the keen sense to do the right thing at the right moment.  By merely walking into the actual studio you can see, feel and hear everything as it once was.

Everything in there was original and authentic - from the tile on the floor to the sound-proofing on the ceiling.  I can't even tell you what I thought when I went to the tiny front office where Marion used to greet these young men coming in from the street as they pleaded with her to get to Sam...

But I can tell ya how it felt to open the same door they all did, countless times before me!

Do whatever it takes, G...
Let us know - and we'll all make the trip with you!
I just gotta see your face!!!   Wink

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:26pm
Damn, Pam, thanks for posting those pics. I've just gotta make that trip someday.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #34 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:13am
I was just thinkin' the same thing, GTRM! Cool

But then no one tells a story better than Pam...
except  Gazza!

Thanks for sharing your trip with up Pammy.  I am dying to hear about the other adventure, but you can call me if ya want with that one.. Wink

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #35 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 6:20am
Damn. I've just spent my entire lunch break picking my just exploded nipples off the floor.

Thanks for posting all this. And some people say Yanks have no sense of culture? Hah!

Pam - I got your text message yesterday. I presume my reply didnt arrive. Ya can call that number anytime (well, anytime that I'm awake, that is!)

... ... ...
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:55am
parmeda wrote on Aug 11th, 2008 at 9:21pm:
You two with your bickering, lmao

Maybe I should have clarified that there are different ticket passes you can purchase.  We opted for IT ALL... and I'm pretty damn glad we did!  And glenny - I think the cheapest one was $27 and you could only go into the mansion with that.  It's been a while since you've been there and they have added more displays and moved all of the autos across the street into a museum - they aren't under the car-port any longer.  The passes we purchased actually allowed us to go back through any area we wanted and not be herded with the rest of the cattle (which I simply detest!).  I rather enjoyed zipping past everyone and being allowed to make my own path.

So, go back - cough up the cash - and enjoy it at your own pace. 

Excuse me, while I need to pull some pictures up from Sun for Gazza...   Smiley

I got to go on the plane with my ticket. But yes, I was shocked by the ticky price but if I go all the way to Memphis, I'll pay for the best. I never cheap out when on vacation. Well, except for the hotel sometimes.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #37 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 8:56pm

Great pics and stories, parmeda.
Thanks for posting.
Thank yuh verrah much.

Need to make the pilgrimage to Mecca, er, Memphis myself one of these days...

BTW, didja hang around long enough to queue up for your very own set of these?

Aug 12, 7:45 PM (ET)

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - The marriage didn't last all that long, but for the Elvis Presley faithful, the wedding day is special still. And now, Elvis fans have the official, Graceland-approved Elvis and Priscilla wedding dolls to remind them of that magical time.

"This is just another way he's making history, and we want to be part of it," said Angel Durham, who waited all night outside a Graceland souvenir shop to be the first to hand over $65 for a boxed set of the dolls, the newest additions to Mattel's Barbie series.

Durham, 38, of Whitney, Texas, was at the front of about 150 Elvis fans lined up to witness the official unveiling of the dolls, staged as part of Graceland's annual weeklong fan pilgrimage to mark the anniversary of Presley's death on Aug. 16, 1977.

Brenda Moore of Bentonville, Ark., invested less time in getting her dolls but paid out a lot more money for a one-and-only set of dolls signed by Priscilla Presley.

Moore, 59, offered the high bid of $6,800 when the autographed box set was auctioned to the fans as a fundraiser for Presley Place, an apartment building in Memphis for homeless families.

"I was so nervous, I don't know if I saw it really well, but I think it's a good likeness," Moore said. "They showed them yesterday and I looked at them online. I was planning to buy them, but never dreamed we would do this."

Moore, a claims manager at Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters, said she and husband Mitchell believe the money is for a good cause.

"Presley Place, where the money will go, we contribute to them every year," she said. "Also, I want that on display in my living room in a curio cabinet."

The dolls, with faces painted to look like Presley and his bride, were designed from photos of the wedding. The groom sports a black paisley tuxedo while the bride wears a white beaded gown and rhinestone tiara.

The couple married in Las Vegas on May 1, 1967, but had split up by early 1972. They formally separated in July 1972 and were divorced in October 1973.

Durham said she got in place Monday night to await her shot at one of the 190 boxed sets Graceland was offering with special unveiling-day stamps. The 40,000 other sets sent to retailers later this year won't have those stamps.

Fans gathered for the unveiling were treated to slices of wedding cake and orange juice served in champagne glasses.

Mattel also issued an Elvis and Barbie doll set in the late 1990s.  
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 9:01pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:10am
Why queue when you can just go to Walmart? ....nevermind...

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #39 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:45pm
Truly awesome stuff!

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #40 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:32pm
Pammy! Great pics and trip report.

Gazza, if you plan a trip to Graceland, we'll call a Summit, OK? Meg, are you in?
LJ? Glenny? Pdog?

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:04pm
D*finit*ly!

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #42 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:34pm
always up for a summit..

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

The Blues
Reply #43 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:01pm
What great shots Pam!  I know how fun that trip is.  We got to tour Graceland and Sun Studios when we went.  Caught the last show of Page and Plant's US leg at the Pyramid.  I would love to go back and do it all again.

Martha

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #44 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:56am
You haven't heard anything until you hear the WHOLE story complete with Pammy's interesting commentary as I did on the phone last night for about 90 minutes. Pam, you have to listen to the security men when they tell you NOT to lean over the ropes!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as a Summit, I'm about ready to head to CT to camp out on Keith's lawn with a big sign
"WE NEED A FUCKING TOUR".

LJ.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #45 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:21am
the vigil is starting...tomorrow is the Holy Day at Graceland, biggest crowds of the year, the nightime candle ceremony, you should check it out one year.....may the King RIP

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:46pm
LadyJane wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:56am:
You haven't heard anything until you hear the WHOLE story complete with Pammy's interesting commentary as I did on the phone last night for about 90 minutes. Pam, you have to listen to the security men when they tell you NOT to lean over the ropes!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as a Summit, I'm about ready to head to CT to camp out on Keith's lawn with a big sign
"WE NEED A FUCKING TOUR".

LJ.

LJ, all kidding aside, there was a poster on an old board I frequented who got busted for doing that. It was back in 1999 or so.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #47 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:36pm
lotsajizz wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:21am:
the vigil is starting...tomorrow is the Holy Day at Graceland, biggest crowds of the year, the nightime candle ceremony, you should check it out one year.....may the King RIP

Elvis lost his beloved "Sattnin" 50 years ago today...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)