Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sticky Fingers  ....from Ian (Read 6,229 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Sticky Fingers  ....from Ian
Aug 4th, 2008 at 1:41am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I just listened to Sticky Fingers again after a long, long time without hearing it. What a classic. Rock n Roll, Country, Soul and Blues at an authenticity no other band has achieved. It really reminds you how great The Stones really are.

Sticky Fingers takes you to a place, or probably "state" for a better word. Sticky Fingers is permanently planted in a drugged, soul searching, dark and dirty place. It reminds you of why the Stones are who they are. Nobody can do albums like that for one reason and one reason only ...it is simply "real". It isn't pretty, it isn't happy, but it is real and authentic.

The album has such true feel. It hits deep within, ..a classic. Bands yesterday (needless to say or today) simply can't do that to you like The Stones can on albums such as this.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Sticky Fingers  ....from Ian
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 4:57am
Ian ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 5:16am
SF is good???

To quote Eddie Murphy "Tell us something we dont know, motherfucker"

Seriously, it IS good.

To quote Mickey Rooney from the "Radioactive Man" episode of "the Simpsons"

"Good. Very good. Van Johnson good!"

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 5:50am
Sir Stonesalots favorite album  Who stole this one? (Seriously)!

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 6:14am
I have always felt that Sticky Fingers is a little underrated. It is certainly, perhaps, a little unfortunate to be sandwiched between the stellar Let It Bleed and Exile on Main St and IMO, is an album deserving of more praise than it, often, receives. It’s a very compact release in comparison to what followed and being home to the Brown Sugar and Wild Horses could, in fact, be a reason for its lack of attention. Our feeling of tired over-familiarity with those two songs in particular, leads us to subconsciously treat the rest of the record the same way.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 6:22am
Wouldnt change a note of it. Its perfect - something which Beggars and Let it Bleed (brilliant though they are) aren't.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

vox12string
Rocks Off Regular

Australia
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:11am
Just look @ the classics from this album. Brown Sugar (in my top 3 all-time Stones greats), Wild Horses, Sister Morphine, Dead Flowers & then, of course, they resurrected Sway.

I've always liked CYHMK particularly the end jam & Moonlight Mile sends me somewhere else.

A massive album....

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:13am
Something sensible by the inestimable IanBillen for once!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:52am
For anyone who has ever heard The Flaming Groovies Teenage Head, if you haven't it is really good... Jagger was quoted, and I paraphrase, they got the sound wish we got on SF's. Nothing wrong with SF, IMO, but after hearing the way it was mixed, i think I know what The Stones wanted. SF came of as too polished in the studio, they wanted grittier, and you can tell by alot of the songs they were feeling dirty. Mixes and mastering make such a difference, for anyone that thinks otherwise, you have no idea, until, if you're lucky enough to hear alternate mixes of albums. In some cases, you have jst a dif. version of the same song, in others, you get a completely different sound altogether.
Producer credits are huge...
Anyone ever hear The Cults Peace Album, that later became the Rick Rubin produced Electric album, perfect example IMO.

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:54am
Mick Taylor was on fire on that record. But even beyond that, the band was fring on all pistons.

:smile

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:59am
Pdog wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:52am:
For anyone who has ever heard The Flaming Groovies Teenage Head, if you haven't it is really good... Jagger was quoted, and I paraphrase, they got the sound wish we got on SF's. Nothing wrong with SF, IMO, but after hearing the way it was mixed, i think I know what The Stones wanted. SF came of as too polished in the studio, they wanted grittier, and you can tell by alot of the songs they were feeling dirty. Mixes and mastering make such a difference, for anyone that thinks otherwise, you have no idea, until, if you're lucky enough to hear alternate mixes of albums. In some cases, you have jst a dif. version of the same song, in others, you get a completely different sound altogether.
Anyone ever hear The Cults Peace Album, that later became the Rick Rubin produced Electric album, perfect example IMO.

Interesting point.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:59am

But is Mick happy with any of their albums? I've heard him criticize all of them at one point or another.

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:06am
Quote:

But is Mick happy with any of their albums? I've heard him criticize all of them at one point or another.

It's good that Mick is like that though. "Unattainable" goals are the best kind to have.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:11am
For you, unattainable goals are walking out to the mailbox & taking a shower before 3PM!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:11am
Quote:

I think he made the point to the producer, the sound on thier next record was gritty!!!

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:12am
Pdog wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:11am:
Quote:

I think he made the point to the producer, the sound on thier next record was gritty!!!

You Gotta Move is fairly gritty. But yes, some of that other stuff is a bit fey, no?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #16 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:18am
Brown Sugar was played at my wedding reception.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:23am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:19am
Quote:
Pdog wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:11am:
Quote:

You Gotta Move is fairly gritty. But yes, some of that other stuff is a bit fey, no?

Are you talking about the production or the songwritting? I'm talking about the sound.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:20am
Me too.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:20am
Some Guy wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:18am:
Brown Sugar was played at my wedding ceremony.

Ceremony or reception?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:24am
Quote:
Some Guy wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:18am:
Brown Sugar was played at my wedding ceremony.

Ceremony or reception?

correction made.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:36am
it is my soap, and I will wash myself as fast as I want to with it!

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:43am
Pdog wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:36am:
it is my soap, and I will wash myself as fast as I want to with it!

Stay cool pdog....I hear it's hotter than the hinges of hell right now in Texas.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:44am
It's mild here in NY. I want heat!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:48am
For me what sets SF apart is not only its over all grandeur and flow but I cant think of another album where the guitars literally jump out of the speakers and get in your face with a cold shot of rock and roll brilliance.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)