Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tattoo You Thread (Read 2,885 times)
axl79
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Tattoo You Thread
Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 4:17pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2008 at 7:15am:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 7:22pm:
Since tattoo you was mostly made of outtakes etc from everything from IORR this request seems kinda stupid, but are there ne boots from the sessions or outtakes etc?

Theres no IORR outtakes on Tattoo You. There are however, two songs where the basic track dates from GHS sessions (Waiting On A Friend, Tops - both featuring Mick Taylor), two from Black & Blue (Worried About You (the solo is by Wayne Perkins), Slave) and two new songs (Heaven, Neighbours). The rest come from the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sessions.

Its not simply a case of them releasing old outtakes. Overdubs were done on many of the songs to make them suitable for release. Some of the overdubs were done in 1979-80. All the sax parts and some of Mick's vocals were added in spring 1981.

There are indeed a few boots of alternate takes and mixes of the songs which eventually were released.

To my knowledge "Neighbours" (about Keith) is coming from a Emotional Rescue session in Paris. Wh
So it leaves only to Heaven, nice song by the way but a filler to me.

Stoned in Sweden

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #26 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:51am
Gazza Wrote:

"LOL..and yet, according to the wikipedia entry for the album, its been rumoured that its David Bowie on the front"

Wikipedia says it is "reported" ...not rumored that it is Bowie on the cover as you can see in an exact excerpt from the article below:

*The cover of the album is reportedly David Bowie in make-up. It was designed by artist Peter Corriston, who won a Grammy Award in the category of best album package for the design.

Actually, since I was young I've always been under the understanding that a photo of David Bowie's wife was what the artist used to base the cover on...  As for now I am still sort-of "sketchy" on it all.

So, really, I wasn't totally crazy and wasn't the only one in the world (as many here portrayed) who did not think it was actually Mick on the cover although I did recognize the cover held a resemblance to Mick.

Case Number: 40012657BA, "Tattoo You Album Cover Art Work", has just been officially re-opened by the Rocks Off DA

Alright..  I'm just kidding on that last note.

Ian

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:12am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 6:15am
axl79 wrote on Jul 17th, 2008 at 4:17pm:
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2008 at 7:15am:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 7:22pm:
Since tattoo you was mostly made of outtakes etc from everything from IORR this request seems kinda stupid, but are there ne boots from the sessions or outtakes etc?

Theres no IORR outtakes on Tattoo You. There are however, two songs where the basic track dates from GHS sessions (Waiting On A Friend, Tops - both featuring Mick Taylor), two from Black & Blue (Worried About You (the solo is by Wayne Perkins), Slave) and two new songs (Heaven, Neighbours). The rest come from the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sessions.

Its not simply a case of them releasing old outtakes. Overdubs were done on many of the songs to make them suitable for release. Some of the overdubs were done in 1979-80. All the sax parts and some of Mick's vocals were added in spring 1981.

There are indeed a few boots of alternate takes and mixes of the songs which eventually were released.

To my knowledge "Neighbours" (about Keith) is coming from a Emotional Rescue session in Paris. Wh
So it leaves only to Heaven, nice song by the way but a filler to me.

It was originally thought to have been from 1979, but it was actually first cut in November 1980 in Paris and then finished in spring 1981, when Sonny Rollins' part was overdubbed.

per nzentgraf.de

801011A  11th October - 12th November: Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France,
                  Pathé-Marconi Studios. Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey.
                  - Heaven I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
                  - Heaven II (MJ/KR) -first version with real lyrics
                  - Neighbours I (MJ/KR) -different solos, no sax
                  - Slave III (MJ/KR) -first version with vocals, very long

810400C  April - June: Paris, Mobile Recording Unit in some unlocated warehouse (only
                 MJ, ca. six weeks in April & May) & New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers:
                 The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
                 Sonny Rollins (sax on Neighbours, Slave and Waiting On A Friend) and maybe
                 Pete Townshend (bvoc on Slave).
                 - Heaven III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
                 - Let’s Do It Right II -remixed version 1
                 - Munich Reggae II (MJ/KR) -remixed version I
                 - Neighbours II (MJ/KR) -different sax
                 - Neighbours III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
                 - Slave IV (MJ/KR) -different sax
                 - Slave V (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
                 - Slave VI (MJ/KR) -longer version V, remastered ‘Tattoo You’-version
                 - Waiting On A Friend III (MJ/KR) -different sax
                 - Waiting On A Friend IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
                 - Waiting On A Friend V (MJ/KR) -edited promosingle-version

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #28 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 11:43am
Ian, someone posted the picture of Jagger on which the TY cover was based on this very board.  Don't you remember?

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #29 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 1:24pm
Zack Wrote:

"Ian, someone posted the picture of Jagger on which the TY cover was based on this very board.  Don't you remember? "

Yes. Now I do. Wasn't it in black and white?

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)