Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 167
Send Topic Print
Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a (Read 568,480 times)
charlotte
Rocks Off Regular

You've got a cut throat
crew

Re: Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a
Reply #100 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 5:36am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
thanks meg....when are you heading to the island?

&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #101 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:06am
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 4:35am:
The night began with a film montage. Bruce and the E Streeters came out and turned to watch the screen behind Max's drums, standing stone-still as archival footage and stills from Danny's life (remember that long, flowing hair?) played out across it, set to "Blood Brothers." Patti was there, too, for her first show since 2008 -- the E Street Band out in full force. A spotlight, meanwhile, lit up Danny's organ riser (where his accordion was propped, too), and remained shining on the empty station for the band's first song of the night, "Backstreets." Bruce gave a raw and emtional howl at the end, and as he pointed to the organ, the light faded.

Sad

Fuckin' hell. As anyone who's followed his career down the years can confirm, whether its Lennon, Johnny Cash, Warren Zevon or anyone else, no one quite does a homage to the recently departed like Bruce does.

This must have been the hardest of the lot, even though he had more time to think about how to do it. He - and the band - got it absolutely spot-on again. A perfectly poignant, powerful and tasteful tribute. How they got through that show is beyond me.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #102 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:09am
sounds like an incredible show.
let's hope  a good quality boot of this surfaces, in the near future.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #103 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:11am
"6. Sandy (4th of July) (full band) at the end Bruce kissed Roy ... Bruce is crying... "

Can someone explain to this Bruce novice the significance of this song with regards to Danny?

LJ.

IP Logged

charlotte
Rocks Off Regular

You've got a cut throat
crew

Reply #104 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:34am
"Sandy" was a composite of girls Springsteen knew growing up in New Jersey.
Springsteen: "A goodbye to my adopted hometown and the life I'd lived there before I recorded."
Asbury Park is a resort town in New Jersey that has gradually deteriorated. It provided the name for Springsteen's first album, Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
E Street Band member Danny Federici played the accordion.
Springsteen whispered his vocal to create a sense of intimacy.
The summer romance and the images on the boardwalk struck a chord with just about anyone who grew up in New Jersey.
The choir is really one female singer with lots of overdubs. Springsteen wanted to use a children's choir, but ended up using Suki Lahav. She played with the band from September 1974 - March 1975, but was not credited on the album.
This evolved out of 2 songs that did not make Springsteen's first album: "Casper" and "Glory Road."
"Madam Marie" was a real fortune teller on the boardwalk in Asbury Park.
The Hollies covered this in 1975 with its title shortened to "Sandy." It was the first song written by Springsteen to chart, hitting #85 in the US.
The version included on his box set Live 1975-1985 has some extra lyrics in the 3rd verse.

&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #105 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:45am
LadyJane wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:11am:
"6. Sandy (4th of July) (full band) at the end Bruce kissed Roy ... Bruce is crying... "

Can someone explain to this Bruce novice the significance of this song with regards to Danny?

LJ.

His accordion playing on it is probably his 'signature' performance. Its basically to Danny what 'Born to run' or 'Jungleland' would be to Clarence. Personally speaking, its been very hard to listen to it during the last week.

When introducing the band at the end, Bruce introduced his replacement as "filling in for Dan Federici, Charlie Giordano".

Charlie's done an incredible job since joining the tour at short notice in November. When you look at the amount of songs Bruce has brought into the set this year, he really has been thrown in at the deep end. 

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #106 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:47am
Ade wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:09am:
sounds like an incredible show.
let's hope  a good quality boot of this surfaces, in the near future.

hopefully on Jungleland. If its uploaded on dime and includes the pre-recorded intro, they'll almost certainly ban it.

"I'll Fly Away" sounds like a great choice for an encore. Its been performed by quite a variety of notable artists -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'll_Fly_Away
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:10am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #107 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:07am
Thanks G and Charlotte.
How incredibly sad!!!  Cry  Cry

LJ.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #108 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:09am
4th of July-Sandy, is just about the best song Bruce has written.
When I was in Asbury for the Seeger Sessions, waiting @ 5AM to
get in for the GMA taping, standing on the boardwalk,  it was that song
which was contstantly on my mind.  All of the visual images it portrays
were crystallized just looking around the boardwalk.  It was all I could think about.
I was very lucky to see it played in Bahston last November, with Phantom Dan on accordian.
I had a feeling that one chapter in the E Street Band was beginning to end that night.

From the looks of last night's great set, the page has been turned.

Thanks for all the great moments in so many Bruce songs which you
were part of~keep playin the squeeze box Phantom!
Your legacy will live on.....

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #109 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:16am
charlotte wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 5:36am:
thanks meg....when are you heading to the island?

Flying into Savannah on Sunday morning for the short trek to the Island.  If you still have my cell..sure wouldn't mine a text or 2 or a short burst of Bruce Sunday night!! Wink

Believe me I examined the prospect of hitting any of these shows while in the area, but I have managed to exhibit a fair bit of self control!! Wink Grin

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #110 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:20am
By Sean Daly

http://blogs.tampabay.com/popmusic/?origref=&alias=http://www.sptimes.com/blogs/...

April 22, 2008
LIVE REVIEW: Bruce Springsteen

TAMPA –- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band just don't lose fights to Father Time. For four decades, it’s always been a mismatch. From epic concerts that rumbled on with disregard for deadlines to thunderous anthems about thumbing your nose at destiny, the Jersey-born brotherhood is inherently built to push, and punish, the boundaries of the clock.

But last week, Father Time -- with his tin ear for the youthful urges of rock ’n’ roll -- landed a suckerpunch, as longtime E Street stalwart Danny Federici, 58, died from melanoma. As well as being the group’s organist, keyboardist and accordion whiz, Federici had been friends with Springsteen for 40 years. Bruce called his pal “the Phantom,” quiet, crafty, cunning.

On Tuesday, at the St. Pete Times Forum, the Boss and his band, who postponed three Florida dates to deal with the loss, staged their first show since Federici’s death. (The Tampa night was originally scheduled for Monday.)

But if you thought the Blue-Collar Bard would respond with a long, sad see-ya-later – no way, not a chance. For more than two-and-a-half hours, they rocked and remembered in front of 16,332 faithful fans fully aware of the emotional undercurrent.

With house and stage lights dark, the band took the stage, familiar shadows walking to the well-worn spots they've worked for years. "This night is a special one," said the somber voice of the Boss. "So we'd like to start with something for Danny."

With that, a video tribute unspooled onscreen, as a recorded version of gentle acoustic homage "Blood Brothers" played. With a spotlight illuminating Danny's workplace, the band then launched into a crescendoing, cathartic "Backstreets," with its notable refrain of "You swore we'd live forever."

That's the way this memorable night went, the wistful giving way to the robust. Springsteen referenced Federici several times, including "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)," which was always Federici's time to shine on the accordion. On this night, piano man Roy Bittan took the squeezebox, as a bemused Springsteen noted, "Somebody's watching." That was followed by what Springsteen called "another fairy tale," the jubilant "Growin' Up."

For all the emotion, the night's most memorable songs were the roof-raisers, the throwdowns, songs in which your pounding fist acted almost independently: "Radio Nowhere" and "Gypsy Biker," from 2007 album "Magic." "Because the Night," with its downright fiendish guitar solo from Nils Lofgren. The tent-revival fun of "She's the One." The defiant blasts of "No Surrender" and "Long Walk Home."

Springsteen, always eager to ruffle the lapels of the proverbial powers-that-be, kept the speechifying to a minium. But after a quick tsk-tsk to the Bush administration, he threaded a series of songs about the shaky state of the union: "Livin' in the Future," "The Promised Land," "Waitin' on a Sunny Day."

The set built to a resounding, resilient wallop, especially fan fave "Badlands," in which the Big Man, Clarence Clemons, hobbled to the forefront and blew a big, fat sax solo that jolted the joint. That was followed by the chiming joy of "Out in the Street" with its chorus of guttural wahoos.

"This one's for Dan," Springsteen said at the start of the encore, as the band roots-rocked an acoustic cover of 1929 gospel hymn "I'll Fly Away" ("Some bright morning when this life is over, I'll fly away.")

As part of this tour, Springsteen has been reaching into the crowd each night and grabbing random signs with song requests. Tampa just about blew its top for tonight's winner: "Rosalita." The rambling, rollicking song, considered by many the queen in the canon, showcased a band still intent on raging into the night. And, well, they did. "Rosalita" eventually morphed into "Born to Run," for which the house lights exploded for an all-together-now singalong. And that turned into "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out." And they just kept playing, hard, fast, ferocious, as if they had all the time in the world.

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #111 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:46am
What a fine tribute to Danny, and pretty cathartic for Bruce and the band too. Part of me wishes I'd been there, but I know I would have lost it.  Sad
Thanks for the setlist and articles, Meg.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #112 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 12:28pm
My dad's girlfriend ended up taking my dad to the show yesterday. She has seen tens of Bruce concerts and said last night's show was by far the best she had ever seen. She was pretty ecstatic and she said the tribute was very touching. I'll share some more details when I get the chance to talk to her some more about it.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #113 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 1:54pm

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #114 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:24pm
Damn Orlando got another one.. .  Start the show with Blood Brothers and another premiere:"Does the Bus Stop at 82nd Street"...Not to mention "The River"  Then in the encores Roger McGuinn on stage with Bruce to do Turn Turn Turn and Mr. Tambourine Man.  DAMN!!

Oh and Jungleland as a "sign request:"
sign: side one: To our good friend Danny: You'll always be in our hearts
other side: It's been 30 yrs waiting for Jungleland live!

Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:32pm by PartyDoll MEG »  

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #115 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:43pm
Is that setlist I saw on BTX correct?  Holy shit!!!!

...&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #116 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:45pm
Roger McGuinn WTF?....But hey that's cool. From Bon Jovi to Roger McGuinn. Bruce is clearly just having fun. Good for him,jamming with all era's of rockstar's who clearly love Bruce.....Hot 'Lanta next. You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #117 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:45pm
1. Blood Brothers (EP)
2. Night
3. Radio Nowhere
4. Out in the Street
5. Spirit in the Night ~ for Dan
6. The River
7. DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND ST?
8. Candy's Room
9. Prove It All Night
10. She's The One!!
11. Livin' In The Future
12. The Promised Land
13. Fire (by vote)
14. Lost In The Flood
15. Devil's Arcade
16. The Rising
17. Last To Die
18. Long Walk Home
19. Badlands

20. TURN TURN TURN w/ Roger McGuinn from The Byrds
21. HEY MR. TAMBOURINE MAN w/Roger
22. Jungleland (sign)
23. Born To Run
24. Dancing In The Dark
25. American Land

...&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #118 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:51pm
Yet another amazing setlist. Most likely delivered in amazing fashion as usual. What an incredible example of what an Icon rock act can and should be. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #119 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:12am
they did the 'Blood Brothers' pre-recorded video tribute again it seems and then followed by playing the song in an arrangement similar to the uptempo version that was on the 'Blood brothers' promo CD single that came with the home video of the same name. Thats an incredible version and deserves to be better known.

Stunning setlist again. Looks like he's increasingly conscious of embracing the band's past in recent shows at least as much as promoting a new record. cant wait to hear the McGuinn duets

The Tampa recording on dime (and jungleland) is very nice indeed. Really powerful and emotive stuff to put it mildly.

... ... ...
IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #120 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:13am
Karen and I got an INCREDIBLE, high energy show last night from Bruce and his band at Amway Arena in Orlando...after opening with the film montage of Danny Federici's life set to the song Blood Brothers the band tore into an alternate version of the song...to get to see Roger McGuinn from the Byrd's join them for TWO songs was AMAZING!(McGuinn lives here in central Florida.)
Here's the review from the Backstreet's website:
April 23 / Orlando, FL / Amway Arena
Notes: More greatness in Florida. Tonight's was an energetic, unpredictable show, with the standard setlist (including much of Magic) all but thrown out the window. A tour premiere -- one of four -- started things off. When word of Tampa's Danny Federici montage started going around, the video tribute with a musical backing of "Blood Brothers," there was some initial confusion: was it the recorded studio version, or played live? Tonight, the Orlando crowd got both. After the montage, Bruce and the band revisited "Blood Brothers" in a new live arrangement, more akin to the Alternate Version on the Blood Brothers EP, a fierce performance with no question who it was for, especially as Springsteen repeated the singular "my blood brother."
"Spirit in the Night" was "for Dan," too, a very physical performance from Bruce, hanging every which way from the mic stand. And the oldies just kept on coming, with the tour premiere of "Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?" "Gonna test the band's memories," said Bruce, "We did 'Growin' Up' last night, and we're gonna try to get through this one." (Soon, he had reason to add, "I don't remember it!") "Prove It All Night" found Nils reaching new heights and even finding new sounds on his solo, wowing veryone, Bruce and the band included.
"Fire" was the local radio pick-a-song contest winner, giving Springsteen occasion for his longest, funniest banter to date on this tour. "This is what puzzles me," he said about the contests, mention of which got little to no reaction from the crowd, "Every time I mention it, every one says I don't know!... This was a management decision." He also gave a history of the song, saying he originally wrote it for Elvis and jumped the Graceland wall with Steve to try to get it to him ("Don't go trying that at my house, now!"), recalling covers by the Pointer Sisters and Robert Gordon, and highly recommending the latter's "All for the Love of Rock & Roll" wih his band Tuff Darts ("Go home and look it up on your damn thing," Bruce said, miming fingers on a keyboard). And then there was Babyface's "Fire" cover: "The best version I ever heard. I was sure it was a hit -- I ran out and bought a new car. But the cruel vicissitudes of rock 'n' roll... it wasn't. I should have been sitting on the beach with my new car parked at the curb."
"Lost in the Flood" up next -- forget talk, all action. This one killed, as did Bruce's solo.
In the encore, perhaps the biggest treat of the night, "the incredible Roger McGuinn" joined the band for two songs. Bruce set the bar high with his introduction, praising the Byrds leader for singlehandedly inventing Folk Rock, Space Rock, and for his profound influence on Bruce and the band. At 15, Springsteen said, on a little stero in his room, "I played that first Byrds album over 200 times in the dark." McGuinn did not disappoint, taking lead for "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and trading verses with Bruce on "Mr. Tambourine Man," a knock-out guest spot that was clearly a thrill for the band. Just one look would have told you Steve was in heaven, he and Roger playing matching black, 12-string Rickenbackers. "Some of the most beautiful music ever written and sung," Bruce declared, before offering up one of his own that could arguably fit that description. It was "Jungleland," an audible, played by request -- "Kitty's Back" was on the setlist, but with all those "Jungleland" signs, how could he not?
Setlist:
Blood Brothers (Alt. Version)
Night
Radio Nowhere
Out in the Street
Spirit in the Night
The River
Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
Candy's Room
Prove It All Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
The Promised Land
Fire
Lost in the Flood
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands
Turn! Turn! Turn! (with Roger McGuinn)
Mr. Tambourine Man (with Roger McGuinn)
Jungleland
Born To Run
Dancing In The Dark
American Land

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:19am by MRD8 »  

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #121 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:14am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:51pm:
Yet another amazing setlist. Most likely delivered in amazing fashion as usual. What an incredible example of what an Icon rock act can and should be. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

Well said..
From last night and it is just a snippet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSgKSBQI1QE

and Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ABWI4ovE0w
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:17am by PartyDoll MEG »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #122 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:30am
MRD8 wrote on Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:13am:
Karen and I got an INCREDIBLE, high energy show last night from Bruce and his band at Amway Arena in Orlando...after opening with the film montage of Danny Federici's life set to the song Blood Brothers the band tore into an alternate version of the song...to get to see Roger McGuinn from the Byrd's join them for TWO songs was AMAZING!(McGuinn lives here in central Florida.)

Cheers, Bob. Glad you had a fantastic time. Think I read a while back that Joshy was going to one of the Florida shows as well. Hope he had fun too, if he did.

... ... ...
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #123 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:57am
Glad you enjoyed your dose of Bruce, Bob!  What a killer show..

I have listened to to the Tampa show too.   Bruce's voice in Backstreets tells it all.  Emotionally powerful to put it mildly (P.S.  Guys, I probably won't get that show out to you both until after my vacation).

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #124 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 8:22am
if anyone knows of a spare STANDING ticket, for either of the Bruce London shows,
at the end of May, please let me know.
thanks

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 167
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)