Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Who Would You Drink With & Shoot Guns after Church?

Hillary    
  4 (12.9%)
Obama    
  1 (3.2%)
McCain    
  3 (9.7%)
Joey    
  11 (35.5%)
Manson    
  6 (19.4%)
Starbuck    
  3 (9.7%)
The Pope    
  0 (0.0%)
Magic Underwear    
  3 (9.7%)

Total votes: 31
« Created by: Pdog on: Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:41am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Obama Has Got To Go! (Read 15,043 times)
monkey_man
Rocks Off Regular

Fac ut vivas.

Re: Obama Has Got To Go!
Reply #100 - May 1st, 2008 at 3:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

15th-century shipwreck laden with treasure and John McCain's bronzed baby shoes found

Geologists on a search for diamonds off Namibia stumble on a shipwreck

Ship loaded with gold coins, elephant tusks, bronzed baby shoes and cannons

With the discovery of John McCain's baby shoes, scientists were able to date the ship to late 1400s- early 1500s, heyday of de Gama and Columbus.

Archaeologist speculates: Was captain on official business, or was he a pirate?
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) -- The ship was laden with tons of copper ingots, elephant tusks, gold coins -- and cannons to fend off pirates lurking off Africa some five centuries ago.

It had nothing to protect it from the fierce weather off a particularly bleak stretch of inhospitable coast. It sank, only to be found last month by men seeking other treasure.

"If you're mining on the coast, sooner or later you'll find a wreck," archaeologist Dieter Noli, who is researching the ship's origins, said in an interview Thursday, describing De Beers geologists stumbling on the wreck April 1 as they prospected for diamonds off Namibia's southwest coast.

Namdeb Diamond Corp., a joint venture of the government of Namibia and De Beers, had cleared and drained a stretch of seabed, building an earthen wall to keep the water out so geologists could work.

Noli said one of the geologists first saw a few ingots, but had no idea what they were. Then they found what looked like cannon barrels, but weren't sure.

The geologists stopped the brutal earth-moving work of searching for diamonds and sent photos to Noli, who had done research in the Namibian desert since his university days in Cape Town in the mid-1980s and since 1996 has advised De Beers on the archaeological impact of its operations in Namibia.

The find "was what I'd been waiting for for 20 years," Noli said. "Understandably, I was pretty excited. I still am."

Noli's original specialty was the desert, but because of Namdeb's offshore explorations, he had been preparing for the possibility of a wreck, even learning to dive.

He had also studied maritime artifacts with an expert from his university days, Bruno Werz, whom he has brought in to help research the Namdeb wreck.

Judging from the notables depicted on the hoard of Spanish and Portuguese coins and the type of cannons and crude navigational equipment, the ship went down in the late 1400s or early 1500s, around the time Vasco de Gama and Columbus were plying the waters of the New World, "a period when Africa was just being opened up, when the whole world was being opened up," Noli said.

Noli compared the remnants found -- the ingots, ivory, coins, coffin-sized timber fragments -- to evidence at a crime scene.

"The surf would have pounded that wreck to smithereens," he said. "It's not like `Pirates of the Caribbean,' with a ship more or less intact."

He and Werz are trying to fit the pieces into a story. They divide their time between inventorying the find in Namibia and researching in museums and libraries in Cape Town in neighboring South Africa, from where Noli spoke by phone Thursday.

Eventually, they will go to Portugal, whose ships were particularly active in the area 500 years ago, or Spain to search for records of a vessel with similar cargo that went missing.

"You don't turn a skipper loose with a cargo of that value and have no record of it," Noli said.

The wealth aboard is intriguing. Noli said the large amount of copper could mean the ship had been sent by a government looking for material to build cannons. Trade in ivory was usually controlled by royal families, another indication the ship was on official business.

On the other hand, why was the captain still holding so many coins? Shouldn't they have been traded for the ivory and copper?

"Either he did a very, very good deal. Or he was a pirate," Noli said. "I'm convinced we'll find out what the ship was and who the captain was."

What sent her down may remain a mystery. But Noli has theories, noting the stretch of coast where it met its fate was notorious for fierce storms and disorienting fogs. In later years, sailors with sophisticated navigational tools avoided it. The only tools found aboard Noli's wrecks were astrolabes, which can be used to determine only how far north or south you have sailed.

"Sending a ship toward Africa in that period, that was venture capital in the extreme," Noli said. "These chaps were very much on the edge as far as navigation. It was still very difficult for them to know where they were."

Noli has found signs worms were at work on his ship's timber, and sheets of lead used to patch holes, indications the ship was old when it set out on its last voyage.

Imagine a leaky, overladen ship caught in a storm. The copper ingots, shaped like sections of a sphere, would have sat snug. But the tusks -- some 50 have been found -- could have shifted, tipping the ship.

"And down you go," Noli said, "weighed down by your treasure."

Spanish gold coins, Portuguese silver coins minted in the late 1400s or early 1500s were found, as well as dividers used for measuring distance on a map during navigation.

The reverse of the some of the gold coins depicts Ferdinand and Isabella, two Spanish monarchs of the time.

...&&&&.........&&&&"In other words shut the hell up about what others believe. It only makes you look like a small minded snob. "&&&&Riffy

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #101 - May 1st, 2008 at 3:36pm
" I'm still voting for Ron Paul "

What ?!

... !!!!!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Fiji Joe
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #102 - May 1st, 2008 at 8:51pm
And then there's "cu*t-gate"...why?...why does he hate women?

"Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days."

Mr. Gringo...My father he ain't no Che Guevara

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #103 - May 1st, 2008 at 9:25pm

feej? I'm arranging a field trip to the UTCC this summer.

Can I count you in?

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

Fiji Joe
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #104 - May 1st, 2008 at 9:57pm
parmeda wrote on May 1st, 2008 at 9:25pm:
feej? I'm arranging a field trip to the UTCC this summer.

Can I count you in?

One thing I know about "those" people.  They can throw down on some potato salad.  I'm in!

Mr. Gringo...My father he ain't no Che Guevara

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #105 - May 1st, 2008 at 10:21pm

Oh! you know it!

...lmao

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

CrissCrossMind
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Southside of Chicago Baby ...
Reply #106 - May 2nd, 2008 at 9:36pm
Clinton offers a clear-eyed view of the way things are. She offers nuanced positions on how to address the war in Iraq, trade with China and economic expansion. Her depth of knowledge is remarkable.

[She] is well prepared for the rigors of the White House. She is tough, experienced and realistic about what can and cannot be accomplished on the world stage.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton is the better choice, based on her experience and grasp of major issues, to confront those challenges. She earns The Star's endorsement in Tuesday's primary.
Grin

yonder comes a woman ...

IP Logged

CrissCrossMind
Rocks Off Regular

Southside of Chicago Baby ...
Re: Obama Has Got To Go! & John Mellencamp
Reply #107 - May 3rd, 2008 at 11:36am
As Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. and Sen. Barack Obama parted ways last week, some people who have supported the presidential candidate and his pastor found themselves wondering where their loyalties should lie.

Some expressed disappointment over Wright's remarks. Others, particularly at Trinity United Church of Christ, viewed Obama's decision to denounce Wright as a show of disrespect for the man who taught him how the power of Christianity could change lives.

Some Trinity members even felt forced to choose between their pastor and their favorite son.

"They are both proud and fiercely intelligent African-American men of God," said Lydia Nantwi, a member of Trinity who supports Obama. "They are unbought and unbossed. ... I love them both; I support them both."

Conversations online

Just as Obama grappled with the decision to sever ties to the pastor who may have jeopardized his campaign, his backers debated whether they should withdraw support from a candidate they feel dishonored his spiritual father figure.

Rill Hodari, who joined Trinity eight years ago, logged on Tuesday night and appealed to fellow Trinity members for guidance.

"Given Obama's recent statements strongly denouncing Rev. Wright, I now feel I cannot support Obama," Hodari wrote. "I am just seeking the thoughts of those who like me who love Rev. Wright and supported Obama to gain some additional perspective."

Julia Singleton, a Trinity member who now lives in Silver Spring, Md., also expressed misgivings.

"I never believed that Obama would go that far to denounce the man that brought him to Christ," she wrote. "I now question whether he will ever be able to stand up for our issues and is he just another politician trying to get elected."

yonder comes a woman ...

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #108 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:16pm
Does the title of this thread still have validity?

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #109 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:27pm
Of course!

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #110 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:33pm
I enjoy archives.
In other news, Mrs. O is going to replace O as he grieves for his grandma.
Will Mrs. O take the verbal beating of Gov Palin?
She will probably be on the View Friday with Jamin Joy and Whoopie for a love in......

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #111 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:37pm
nellie....FFS.....

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #112 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:40pm
Starbuck wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:37pm:
nellie....FFS.....

Drudge will pickup this thread up, have Zogby down two points in the morning...
Some things never change, right?

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #113 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 9:46pm
Go, Obama!  Go!

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)